Sometimes We Takes Chances, Sometimes We Take Pills

Suicidal Patient

I arrived at a large white building, it’s towering stories made me feel small and unimportant, like it has better things to do then shelter me.
“Come along Mr. Wentz.” They ushered me into the foreboding structure and brought me into a room that reminded me of what a college’s dean’s office should look like. It was dark, and had many framed official looking papers on the wall. Things signed by principals of colleges and state licenses.
“So Pete do you know why you’re here?
“I don’t need to be here.”
“You tried to kill yourself twice.” I stayed silent and he sighed. “We need you to sign yourself into our care”
“What do you mean? What am I agreeing if I sign some contract?”
“That you see that you need help, and will allow us to care for you, for as long as we see fit.”
“So I can’t just leave?”
“After you sign, you may not.”
“What happens if I don’t sign the document?”
“Then you will go to court to determine if you need psychiatric help and if the judicial system says you do, you must stay here, signature or not.”
“Where do I sign?”

After that ordeal the head nurse showed me around and told me about what procedures they use for patients like me. Suicidal patients. While out of my room, I was to always be under supervision. And like the hospital my room was barren, and a special bonus, is when I’m in there, I get to be checked in on, every five minutes. So if I try anything, I better be dead in four minutes.

After the grand tour of the place I asked the nurse if I could use an old fashioned phone I had seen in the hallway. It was a payphone, cord and all. They had to watch me while I talked, so I wouldn’t try to choke myself. That’s stupid, even if I did, I would pass out and drop the cord and start to breath in my unconscious state. Them always watching me is just awkward.

I called Mikey.
“Hello?” He sounded hesitant, probably because he didn’t recognize the number.
“Hey Mikey.”
“Pete?” I could hear the shocked happiness in his voice. I had just seen him yesterday. Was it too early to call?
“Yeah, it’s me.”
“How have you been? Is it nice there? Do you like? Are you okay?” I don’t hink he took a breath in that whole monologue.
“Whoa breath, I’m fine. Everything is fine.”
“Okay, I’m glad.”
“Hey how’s Hemmingway and Piglet getting along.”
“Oh they’re great, but Hemm’s missing you of course.”
“Aw, I’ll be home soon enough.”
“He and I can’t wait.”
“The ward allows visitors. You could come and visit me,… if you wanted?” I don’t know why I suddenly became shy. A nurse tapped me on the shoulder. It was time to take my meds. “I’ve got to go, but I’ll talk to you later, I guess.”
“Wait, Pete, when can I visit you?”
“Any day before 6.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long, it's just school is killing me. Hope you like it! Please comment it makes me smile!
-Abbi