Insure

One and Only

Sirius looked up and down the stack of Muggle books that surrounded Remus. He carefully pulled on the least-boring looking; one which was covered in brightly colored and patterned planets and delicate galaxies.

“Why exactly do you have these?” Sirius questioned, flipping through the pages.

“It’s for my Muggle Studies class,” Remus answered without looking up from the thick book in front of him.

“Frank Longbottom is in Muggle Studies and I didn’t see him with any books like this,” Sirius finally reached the Glossary at the end of the volume and began skimming through the list.

“Well…I just found this stuff interesting during class and wanted to know more.” This time the werewolf’s eyes flicked to the boy before him.

Sirius smiled. “Always wanting to know more. What’s the one you’re reading about?”

“Muggle Law,” He answered curtly, returning to reading.

“You’re gonna be a muggle lawyer then?” Sirius teased.

Remus was silent for a moment. “Muggles wouldn’t guess about my condition…” Sirius gave Remus a surprised look, “but no. I’m just reading.”

Obviously finding what he wanted, Sirius sank to the floor next to the tawney haired boy with the Astronomy book in his lap.

After a few moments silence, Remus looked up at the other boy. He had never seen Sirius so quiet for such an extended amount of time, especially willingly reading a book. From where he sat, Remus could see the title of the page the dark haired boy was on.

“Reading up on your name’s history?” He asked, scooting closer to Sirius and skimming through the paragraphs.

“Even Muggles know I’m the brightest one,” He flashed a crooked smile in the other boy’s direction.

“That’s not hard to miss, you know.” Remus grinned, “Anyone with eyes can see that.”

Sirius thought his heart would burst.

“You know, if Muggles can visit the moon,” Sirius paused for a second at the slight change in Remus’s expression, “then a wizard could surely visit themselves in space.”

Remus instantly softened and let out a soft chuckle. Picking up his thick book, in a stern aristocratic voice, he said “As your legal adviser, I can’t insure you for a journey like that.”

“Aw, Moony, why not?” Sirius whined in fake disappointment.

“Well, for one, I wouldn’t want to be without you for that long,” with Sirius smiling again, he continued, “second, it’s burning at roughly nine thousand, three hundred and twenty-six degrees Celsius, third, for Muggles and wizards alike, space travel isn’t easy. Also, it’s…” Before he could finish, Sirius caught the werewolf’s lips with his own, pulling the smaller boy against his chest.

Alone in the silent common room, whether he was kidding about going to the star or not, a content thought flitted through Sirius’s mind.

“I don’t need to go anywhere,” He whispered when they broke apart.

Remus smiled.

“That’s something I can insure.”