Status: Completed!

I Thought I Loved You Then

Then

I remember trying not to stare the night that I first met you
You had me mesmerized


"Hey Jon!" A voice came from behind Jonathan Toews and he turned around to see who it was.

Carmen Brouwer had brought over a pretty blue eyed brunette, the one that had him mesmerized since she walked in the door to the Blackhawks' locker room.

"Jon this is Sheyenne Peters." Carmen said, motioning to the brunette standing at her side. "Shey, you know who Jonny is." She added, earning a laugh from her friend.

"Nice to meet you." Sheyenne smiled, shaking his hand.

"Same to you." Jon replied, trying not to stare.

And three weeks later, in the front porch light
Taking forty-five minutes to kiss goodnight
I hadn't told you yet
but I thought I loved you then


Three weeks later Jon and Sheyenne were standing on her front porch locked in what was meant to be a brief goodnight kiss, but had turned out to be a forty-five minute long one. They finally broke apart and Sheyenne went inside wearing a content smile. Jon went to his car and sat in the drivers seat for a moment, staring up at Sheyenne's window.

I think I love her. He thought to himself, a smile slowly spreading across his face.

And now you're my whole life
Now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you girl
Like a river meets the sea, stronger than its ever been
We've come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then


Jon lay awake in the early morning with Sheyenne sleeping deeply curled up beside him, half laying on top of him. His brown eyes stared down at the slumbering brunette, amazed that his life and his world was all wrapped up in one woman. He couldn't believe just how much he was in love with her and how far they had come since the day they met.

I don't think I could love her more. He mused.

And I remember taking you back to right where I first met you
You were so surprised
There were people all around, but I didn't care
Got down on one knee right there
Once again, I thought I loved you then


Champagne was shooting through the air, accompanied by loud cheers and yells as the Blackhawks celebrated winning the Stanley Cup for the first time in 49 years. Jon grinned broadly as he led Sheyenne and his family into the locker room and the celebration continued with unrestrained eagerness. Sheyenne's back was to him as she tried to fend off Kris Versteeg who had a squirt gun filled with champagne. Jon nudged his father, who grinned and fished a black box out of his pocket, handing it to his son.

Jon reached out to tug on Sheyenne's hand as he went down on one knee, not caring who was watching. The entire room went silent and Sheyenne's eyes went wide once she realized what was happening.

"Shey, babe I love you so much. We've been through a lot together and I can't imagine my life without you. So would you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?" Jon asked, locking gazes with her.

Tears filled her eyes and she nodded vigorously. Jon let out a loud whoop and put the ring on her finger. Cheers and champagne filled the air while Jon kissed his new fiancee happily.

And now you're my whole life
Now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you girl
Like a river meets the sea, stronger than its ever been
We've come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then

I could just see you, with a baby on the way
And I could just see you, when your hair is turning gray
What I can't see is how I'm ever gonna love you more
But I've said that before


Jon leaned against the kitchen door frame, watching Sheyenne cook dinner, when a vision filled his head of watching a similar scene but Sheyenne's belly round as she carried their child within. Another vision appeared, this time of the two of them surrounded by children and grandchildren and Sheyenne looking as beautiful as ever, even with gray hair.

He shook his head and refocused his eyes on his fiancee. He couldn't see how he could ever love her more than he did right now.

But I've said that before... He thought.

And now you're my whole life
Now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you girl
We'll look back someday, at this moment that we're in
And I'll look at you and say
And I thought I loved you then
And I thought I loved you then
♠ ♠ ♠
I got inspired for this thanks to attending a Brad Paisley concert yesterday. At first I wasn't sure what player to use but Jon seems to fit perfectly!

Let me know what you guys think of my first one-shot!

Btw, Sheyenne is pronounced just like Cheyenne. And Shey is pronounced Shy.