Status: In progress

Open Your Eyes

Open Your Eyes Chapter 10

Chapter 10
It took a minute for Ryan to start the car. The young woman that had come back out of the house was the exact opposite of the one that had went in fifteen minutes before. She still had the same air of innocence and aura of terror at the outside world. Yet now she was gorgeous with the sense of determination radiating off of her. He could almost feel her need to become part of normal society. Tonight he had decided to stop by her house to invite her to dinner and see what more he could learn about her. Luckily she was more than willing to join him and he shook himself out of his stupor and turned the key revving the engine starting down the street.
“You look lovely Annalee,” Ryan said breaking the silence, “What would you like to eat tonight.” He looked over to see a flattering blush on her cheeks along with a confused expression. “Would you like me to choose?”
He saw her nod out the corner of his eyes and hoped she wasn’t going to be shy all night…he needed answers. “Is there a certain type of food you like?”
“I’m not sure my father was a very picky eater so I only know of a few things. I haven’t tried much. I liked what we had yesterday though it was very good,” She replied tension in her voice.
“I am thinking Italian food. I think you will enjoy it.”
He took a right onto the interstate and headed towards the other end of town to the Olive Garden. They had good food and a good variety. It was a ten minute drive and most of the way was silent however the silence wasn’t uncomfortable, more-so companionable. She also seemed to be too busy taking in the scenes around her to hold a conversation. Pulling into the parking lot he turned to her and noticed her body was shaking. “Are you ok Anna? Do you want to go in or should we turn back?”
Annalee took a deep breath and shook her head, “No I want to do this, and I have to.”
It was her duty to society to be a strong person. To make something out of the life she had been given back after 17 years. God had sent her Ryan as a guardian angel she could feel it in her bones. He was the first person to offer a bridge to the real world and a hand to hold onto while she crossed. It was her full intentions to grab on tight and receive the help she needed to cross. If the current task was to have dinner which she suddenly realized she was starving, then she would do it. It didn’t mean she wouldn’t be terrified in the process though.
So bracing herself she took another deep breath and pushed open the door. In seconds Ryan was at her side and she bravely grabbed onto his hand. The wait was only five minutes a very rare occurrence for Olive Garden especially since it was one of the few fancier places to eat in the small town. They were led to a booth in the corner of the restaurant away from other people due to Ryan’s request. Their waitress Kathy seemed to notice Annalee’s discomfort and greatly obliged, also making sure to speak in even, non-threatening tones. Ryan thanked the lord for her; she would be getting a big tip tonight. After Kathy had taken their drink orders Annalee and Ryan simultaneously opened their menus and looked through them. When Ryan looked up he met the disconcerted expression on Annalee’s face. He chuckled softly.
“Stay calm Annalee,” He said soothingly, “Just look at the pictures and if there is absolutely nothing that you can decide on I can help you okay?”
Annalee scrunched her lips and eyebrows at his words but nodded silently before turning her attention back to the menu. A few moments later her face lit up and she pointed at one of the pictures showing it to Ryan.
“This looks amazing!” She said referring to the Parmesan-Polenta Crusted Chicken. Ryan nodded and said he would get the same because he hadn’t tried it yet. He didn’t want to look at the menu anymore anyways. The girl in front of him was far more interesting. He was studying her features when Kathy returned to take their orders.
“Did y’all find something that looks good?” Kathy asked softly, “Or would ya like a few more minutes?”
“No I think we got it,” Ryan said and ordered the two dishes. He chose the Zuppa soup and Annalee the salad for their side dishes. With their order written down Kathy scurried off to the kitchen to place it leaving them alone again.
“Okay Annalee,” Ryan said, “Isn’t it about time we start getting to know each other? That’s what friends do right?”
At his words Annalee was pallid but fought to keep composure, “Okay,” she replied, “Tell me about yourself.”