Little Black Sheep

Chapter Ten: Creature of the Night

Chapter Ten: Creature of the Night
The night couldn’t have gotten any worse.
I hung my head, letting my hair cover my guilty face as Filch led us through the corridors, smiling like he won the lottery. The hallway was dark and I faintly remembered the moments just minutes ago when we walked through here with Norbert. How could we be so careless? How were we going to get the cloak back? What did we do to deserve this? I asked myself this over and over until we reached the familiar section of the first floor, the entrance of McGonagall’s study. I finally looked up, my eyes staring glumly at the doors. Norbert was nothing like a dragon compared to what we were in for.
Filch opened the door, the hinges squeaking ever so slightly. To my surprise, the office was empty.
“Sit here and wait, Professor will return shortly.” Filch sneered, his face delighted in every way.
As the doors shut behind us, I could hear rattling. I looked over at Hermione to see she was trembling uncontrollably, making her chair chatter on the floor. Her face was snow white and her eyes were wide and I could see scenarios pass through her head. The thought of being expelled slipped through my mind and I shuddered. I couldn’t be expelled, I couldn’t go back to that school, to those people. I gingerly laid my palm on Hermione’s shivering shoulder and she flinched. She then glanced over at me and I tried to will a smile on my face. She just stared blankly at me, fear rushing through her irises.
When I glimpsed at Harry I saw he was bent over, his face in his hands, holding his unruly hair back as his lime eyes stared intently at the floor. He must have been trying to plan a way to get out of this. As far as I could see it, there was no way out. We were trapped, cornered, and I could picture Malfoy just laughing at us. McGonagall wouldn’t accept anything, even our dragon story. She would never, ever believe anything we conjured up. What could possibly be a good reason for us to be loitering in the castle at midnight, not to mention in the astronomy tower, which was off-limits, except for class? If she found the invisibility cloak and believed Draco about the dragon, there was no doubt she was sending us away from Hogwarts forever.
I slumped in my chair, defeated. What could happen next? How could this be any worse?! I spoke too soon.
Professor McGonagall strode into the room, her eyes glaring knifes into my skin, but it was when I saw Neville the knifes started twisting.
“Harry!” Neville called out and when he saw us, “O was trying to find you to warn you, I heard Mafloy say he was going to catch you, he said you had a drag-“
I started to furiously shake my head to shut Neville up, but Professor McGonagall’s eyes just squinted more harshly. She loomed over us, her eyes burning and I was afraid fire would burst out of her lips as soon as she opened them.
“I would have never believed it of any of you. Mr. Filch says you were up in the astronomy tower. It’s one o’clock in the morning. Explain yourselves.” She snapped and I flinched at her anger.
Hermione stayed silence for once, the answers escaping all of our heads. We couldn’t answer, we’d be gone for good.
Professor McGonagall looked accusingly at us, “I think I’ve got a good idea of what’s been going on,” She started, her lips pursed, “It doesn’t take a genius to work it out. You fed Draco Malfoy some cock and bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of bed and into trouble. I’ve already caught him,” The idea of Draco having detention held no joy for me anymore, “I suppose you think it’s funny that Longbottom here heard the story and believed it, too?”
I glanced over at Neville and tried to plead to him that we would never try to do that, but Neville just stared right back, his eyes watery and full of betrayal. Neville was such a sweet and naïve boy, we would never try to do anything like this to him. It must have taken a lot for Neville to get the courage to come in the middle of the night and try to warn us. Too bad he was too late.
“I’m disgusted!” Professor McGonagall spat, “Five students out of bed in one night! I’ve never heard of such a thing before! You, Miss Granger, I thought you had more sense. As for you, Mr. Potter, I thought Gryffindor meant more to you than this. And you, Miss Blarsh, we’ve done so much for you to come here, and this is how you repay us?!” She glared knowingly at us, “All four of you will receive detentions-yes, you too, Mr. Longbottom, nothing gives you the right to walk around school at night, especially these days, it’s very dangerous- and fifty points will be taken form Gryffindor.”
“Fifty?” Harry finally spoke.
“Fifty points each,” Professor McGonagall added, breathing heavily in anger.
“Professor-please-“ Hermione sputtered.
“You can’t-“ Harry started to complain when McGonagall exploded.
“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do, Potter! Now get back to bed, all of you. I’ve never been more ashamed of Gryffindor students.” She finished, giving us one last sharp look and we solemly left.
Two hundred points gone. Poof, outta here. Gryffindor would now be in last place. We had been in first place for a few weeks and just in a few hours it was gone, finished! How could we ever gain the points back?
The common room looked even drearier than it ever had before. Shadows warped the image of things, making everything seem to droop. I just glanced at Ron, Harry, and Neville as they walked up the dormitory stairs. They briefly looked back, sorrow filling their faces. Hermione stood, waiting for me to join her in our dormitory, but I just shook my head. I couldn’t handle facing Lavender or any of the other girls if they woke up.
When Hermione vanished from my sight I quietly wrapped myself in a ball on the deep burgundy rug in front of the extinguished fire, embers the only thing left. My arms were folded around my knees and my head laid on top of them. How could this be happening? After doing one good deed for Hagrid, the world goes out to get us. What was the point? At least it would be only Sunday tomorrow, but it would get even worse when classes started again. Tears started to prick my eyes.
What would everyone think of us? Traitors? Everyone I had worked for to have as a friend would vanish, even Wood. Could time just stop and give us a breather here? I needed things to stop happening, I needed to have a normal life, I needed my dad. But of course, my pleading would never bring him back. Whatever he had done to get into Azkaban had chained him away from me, but I longed for his comfort. What would it feel like to have my dad’s strong, firm hands wrap around my body and envelope me into a warm hug? What would it sound like to hear my dad’s soothing voice whisper in my ear that everything would ok? The tears started to fall, one by one and a sob was building up in my throat, threatening to escape. The glowing embers seem to be fading, their warm light vanishing.
What would happen if Professor McGonagall found out the dragon was real? Would I have to leave for good? I could never face the malicious smirks of the kids at my school ever again. How could I live without Hermione, without Ron…without Harry? I finally cracked down and started to full out bawl, my cries echoing through the common room. I smashed my face into my knees, hoping no one heard. Tears kept coming and sobs kept escaping. They couldn’t make me go back! They could never do that!
I flinched when a sudden hand landed on my shoulder. I lifted my face to see the anxious face of Oliver Wood’s.
“Oh, Emily,” He sighed, grasping me into a hug.
His arms were strong and warm, just how I pictured what my dad’s would be like. I leaned into his body, my head buried into his shoulder as tears continued to flow.
“Shh, Emily, shh…it’s going to be ok.” He whispered into my ear, his voice soothing.
“No, it’s not, Oliver. No one’s ever going to forgive us.” I blubbered into his shirt.
“Forgive what?” He asked gently and I pulled back and looked him square in the face.
My lip trembled as I tried to hold back the tears, “We were caught by Filch in the corridors. We-we were b-brought to Professor McGonagall’s office. She took two hundred points away.” I stuttered and then dove my head back into his chest, afraid of his reaction.
I could feel his whole body stiffen and his breath caught, “Two hundred?” he breathed and I could hear a small amount of anger.
“I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry.” I looked up at him and continued to sob.
His jaw was sharp and his eyes were blazing, but as soon as he saw my devasted face, his eyes softened, “We’ll get it back, don’t worry, Emily. We’ll get it back.”
I just sat there quietly with him, soaking up all the fatherly comfort I could. I stared at the embers, watching them fade, until my eye lids started to droop and finally shut.
The next morning, I woke up to a very faint light hitting my eyes. I was lying on the Gryffindor couch, a jacket laid across my body. I groaned, remembering what today was and quietly tip toed up stairs to my bed, to get some peace before hell began.
While Harry, Hermione, and I rushed to breakfast, dragging along a very grumpy Ron, we noticed only a few people were in the Great Hall already. There were these large hourglasses that held different jewels to represent our points. Many people gawked at our hourglass and immediately complained that it must have been a mistake; how could we have lost two hundred points overnight? Finally, the news began to spread around. Harry potter and his stupid friends, the Harry Potter who won two Quidditch matches, had just lost Gryffindor all those points. Now, we were nothing but stupid, despised first years.
I watched as everyone hit Harry the most. After all, he was the most known. Ron, Hermione, and I were more of his sidekicks. People from our house bashed him, sneering at his presence. Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs even turned against us, everyone was hoping for Slytherin to be finally be overthrown, but now, that would never happen. The Slytherins seemed like the only ones who were enjoying the ordeal. They would pass Harry and the rest of us in the corridors, cheering with smiles on their faces, “Thank Potter, we owe you one!” and then they would snicker.
“They’ll all forget this in a few weeks. Fred and George have lost loads of points in all the time they’ve been here, and people still like them.” Ron tried to reassure us.
“They’ve never lost two hundred points in one go, though, have they?” Harry’s voice was defeated.
“Well-no.” Ron reluctantly admitted.
Things were terrible. I should have stuck with my gut ever since what happened on the night we went looking for Draco. I should have known that we would have gotten caught. I then vowed to myself, I wouldn’t break anymore rules. Ever. No more. Nuh-uh. No more Sorcerer’s Stone, if I had to go sneaking around, I wouldn’t do it. Harry seemed to be just as ashamed as me because Wood told me he went to resign from the Quidditch team.
“We don’t get the points back if he resigns.” Wood said in the common room one night, “But I do understand, a little. I mean, the rest of the team aren’t exactly welcoming.”
I still went to Harry’s practices and I noticed. Even Fred and George wouldn’t even utter our names and if they had to they said “The Seeker” or the “Gray-Eyes Girl” The team wouldn’t speak to us, but I always tried to cheer Harry up on the way to the locker rooms, no matter how much he argued against me.
Hermione and Neville weren’t exactly having a good time either. The Gryffindor house shunned them. Neville was teased even more and pushed around and I watched helplessly. I tried to stand up for him, but since I was hated, they would just bash us both. Hermione was unusually quiet in class. Her usually always raising hand was kept down at her side, her head hanging down.
I no longer complained about studying and homework. In fact, I longed for it. It was much easier to think about what to add to a hair growing potion than to remember what we had done. We would all sit in the common room, studying and working on homework until I hands cramped so much we couldn’t write no more. When that happened, we just read our notes. I studied potion ingredients, remembered charms and spells by heart, and repeated special dates of magical events in my mind. It sure kept everything away, at times.
About a week before exams, Harry and I were walking from the library after grabbing the books we needed. Suddenly, whimpering could be heard from a classroom door in front of us. I wonder who it was…I looked over at Harry and just remembered my promise to myself. I wasn’t going to be going into other people’s stuff. The same thing seemed to be written on Harry’s face. Although, it wouldn’t hurt to just listen…we creped a little closer and Quirrell’s voice could be heard.
“No-no-not again, please-“ Quirrell moaned helplessly. It sounded like someone was trying to get him to do something…
“All right- all right!” Quirrell started to blubber and I knew he had just cracked.
Soon enough, Quirrell strode out of the classroom, his face anxious as he straightened his purple turban. As he walked away, Harry and I just stood frozen there. Who was he talking to? As soon as Quirrell passed the corner I jumped over to the doorway. Harry seemed to have had the same idea because we both tumbled into the doorway, falling on top of each other.
“Ow,” I groaned as my head banged on Harry’s, making a comical ‘pop’ noise.
I opened my eyes to see Harry was doing the same. I started to blush insanely, Harry Potter was on top of me.
“Harry, um, I kind of need to get up.” I muttered, looking into his confused face.
“Oh, ya, right.” He scrambled to get up and I looked around.
The room was completely vacant. Only desks and chairs populated the room, not a soul in sight. I glanced over at Harry to see he had the same puzzled face as me. Who was Quirrell talking to? There was door that was slightly open across the room and I started talking towards it when Harry grabbed my hand. I turned around to see he was shaking his head and he led me out of the room.
“It was, Snape, wasn’t it?” I miserably asked, knowing what the answer was.
“I bet twelve Sorcerer’s Stone that it was,” Harry fumed, “We need to warn Hermione and Ron.”
Now that Snape was going to get the Sorcerer’s Stone, he was going to be the most powerful person in the world. He could change any metal into gold, making him instantly rich and he could live forever. What would happen now?
As we reached the library, we spotted Hermione and Ron studying Astronomy. I started the to tell them what Harry and I just saw. Their faces were pale when I finished.
“Snape’s done it, then!” Ron loudly whispered, “If Quirrell’s told him how to break his Anti-Dark Force spell-“
“There’s still Fluffy, though,” Hermione tried to reason with him.
“Maybe Snape’s found out how to get past him without asking Hagrid,” Ron guessed, pointedly staring at the books that surrounded the library, “I bet there’s a book somewhere in here telling you how to get past a giant three-headed dog. So what do we do, Harry?”
I saw as excitement for another journey started to shine in Ron’s eyes, but Hermione spoke before Harry could answer him.
“Go to Dumbledore.” Hermione said like it was plainly obvious, “That’s what we should have done ages ago. If we try anything ourselves we’ll be thrown out for sure.”
“But we’ve got no proof!” Harry argued, “Quirrell’s too scared to back us up. Snape’s only got to say he doesn’t know how the trill got in at Halloween and that he was nowhere near the third floor- who do you think he’ll believe, him or us?” Harry was just getting more and more riled up, “It’s not exactly a secret we hate him, Dumbledore’ll think we made it up to get him sacked. Filch wouldn’t help us if his life depended on it, he’s too friendly with Snape, and the more students get thrown out, the better, he’ll think. And don’t forget, we’re not supposed to know about the Stone or Fluffy. That’ll take a lot of explaining.” Harry finished, breathing hard.
Hermione seemed fully convince. Although I started having the suspicion that Dumbledore knew everything that was going on in Hogwarts, I reluctantly agreed. Ron obviously didn’t.
“If we just do a bit of poking around-“ Ron started.
“No,” Harry said, his voice dry, “we’ve done enough poking around.” And he pulled a map of Jupiter towards him.
“But, Harry-“ Ron tried again.
“No, Ron. Just no.” I snapped at him and turned to my book.
The next morning, during breakfast, Harry, Hermione, Neville, and I all received the same letter:
Your detention will take place at eleven o’clock tonight. Meet Mr. Filch in the entrance hall.
Professor M. McGonagall
Just for a little while, I had forgotten that detentions were also tacked onto our punishment. Being shunned by all of our friends seemed to be enough. For a second, I glanced at Hermione, anticipating she would say, “Well, there’s another night we lose for studying.” But she stayed silent. We deserved the punishment we got.
All four of us were sitting in the common room around the fire when eleven o’clock came around. We briefly said good bye to Ron and he simply said, “Good luck and don’t die.” We walked down the entrance hall with Neville whimpering next us. I spotted two figures at the end of it, Filch and Malfoy. The fact Mafloy got a detention was just getting worse and worse.
“Follow me,” Filch ordered, a jagged-tooth smile on his face and a lamp in his hand, which eerily glowed on the walls.
“I bet you’ll think twice about breaking a school rule gain, won’t you, eh?” He spoke again, smirking at us,”Oh yes… hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me… It’s just a pity they let the old punishments die out…hang you by your wrists form the ceiling for a few days, I’ve got the chains still in my office, keep ‘em well oiled in case they’re ever needed… Right, off we go, and don’t think of running off now, it’ll be worse for you if you do.” He warned with a grin on his face.
He guided us into the cool, dark night. I heard Neville sniff next to me and I put a hand on his shoulder, “It’s going to be ok, Neville. Don’t worry.” I whispered into his ear. Although, I didn’t believe this myself. The punishment was probably going to be terrible, judging on the joyful smirk on his lips.
The moon was unusually bright tonight, making the grounds visible, but every once in a while a cloud would cover it, making shadows swathe us in darkness. Soon, Hagrid’s hut was visible, and the light shone form his window. Hagrid’s familiar voice yelled into the night air.
“Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started.”
We were going to be working with Hagrid? Well, since we helped him with his dragon, maybe he wouldn’t make the punishment so hard. A smile must have been seen by Filch because he sneered, “I suppose you think you’ll be enjying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, boy and girl- it’s into the forest you’re going and I’m much mistaken if you’ll all come out in one piece.” He leered at us and I shuddered.
Neville moaned next to me in worry and Malfoy stopped stock still.
“The forest?” Draco asked incredulous and his voice sounded more pathetic than usual, “We can’t go in there at night- there’s all sorts of things in there- werewolves, I heard.”
Neville grabbed onto my sleeve and he sounded like something was caught in his throat.
“That’s your problem, is it?” Filch commented, his voice filled with glee, which scared me even more, “Shouldn’t thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn’t you?”
Soon, Hagrid came walking from the shadows with Fang drooling next to him. There was a rather large crossbow clutched in his meaty hands and a long case filled with arrows was slung over his shoulder.
“Abou’ time,” Hagrid said, “I bin waitin’ fer half an hour already. All right, Harry, Hermione, Emily?”
“I shouldn’t be too friendly to them, Hagrid,” Filch icily sneered, “they’re here to be punished, after all.”
“That’s why yer lat, is it?” Hagrid asked a scowl on his face, “ Bin lecturin’ them, eh? ‘Snot your place ter do that. Yeh’ve done yer bit, I’ll take over from here.”
“I’ll be back at dawn,” Filch then glanced at us with a smile, “for what’s left of them,” and then turned around and started to stride over to the castle.
Malfoy then started to complain to Hagrid, “I’m not going in that forest,” Malfoy said, fear tingeing his voice.
Maybe this detention wasn’t going to be so bad after all.
“Yehare if yeh want ter stay at Hogwarts,” Hagrid answered severely, “Yeh’ve done wrong an’ now yeh’ve got ter pay fer it.”
“But this is servant stuff, it’s not for students to do. I thought we’d be copying lines or something, if my father knew I was doing this he’d”
Hagrid cut him off, “tell yer that’s how it is at Hogwarts,” Hagrid grumbled, “Copyin’ lines!” Hagrid cried as if it was ludicrious, “What good’s that ter anyone? Yeh’ll do summat useful or yeh’ll get out. If yeh think yer father’d rather you were expelled, then get back off ter the castle an’ pack. Go on!”
Malfoy didn’t move a muscle and glared at Hagrid. A second later, his eyes landed on the floor in submission.
“Right then, now listen carefully, ‘cause it’s dangerous what we’re gonna do tonight, an’ I don’ want no one takin’ risks,” Hagrid explained, “Follow me over here for a moment.”
We followed Hagrid to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Hagrid raised the lantern and lit the animal trail that wound around the black trees. A breeze blew my hair and it felt as if a giant monster breathed on me. I shivered in disgust.
“Look there,” Hagrid commanded, pointing to something on the ground, “see that stuff shinin’ on the ground? Silvery stuff? That’s unicorn blood. There’s a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We’re gonna try an’ find the poor thing. We might have ter put it out of its misery.”
I glanced sadly at the metallic liquid. How could someone kill something like a unicorn?
“And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?” Malfoy asked, terror evident in his tone.
“There’s nothin’ that lives in the forest that’ll hurt yeh if yer with me or Fang,” Hagrid said confidently, “An’ keep ter the path. Right, now, we’re gonna split inter two parties an’ follow the trail in diff’rent directions. There’s blood all over the place, it must’ve bin staggerin’ around since last night at least.”
“I want Fang,” Malfoy hurriedly claimed, staring at Fang’s teeth.
“All right, but I warn yeh, he’s a coward,” Hagrid cautioned, “So me, Harry, Emily, and Hermione’ll go one way an’ Draco, Neville, an’ Fang’ll go the other. Now, if any of us finds the unicorn, we’ll send up green sparks, right? Get yer wands out an’ practice now- that’s it- an’ if anyone gets in trouble, send up red sparks an’ we’ll all come an’ find yeh-so, be careful-let’s go.” Hagrid explained and we got on our way.
We walked together for a short while. As we met a fork in the path, Draco, Neville, and Fang left us and I watch Neville’s frighten face disappear into the shadow of the skeleton like trees.
As we walked along, we all searched for the silver drops of blood. I glanced around the forest, terror running through my viens. Every once in a while, yellow eyes would glare at me and I would flinch. I clutched onto Harry’s arm and he looked over at me a little funny, but didn’t push me off. Ghostly moon light filtered through the leaves and a ray made a spot of blood glitter as if it had a spot light on it. Hagrid’s face looked very anxious.
“Could a werewolf be killing the unicorns?”Harry asked Hagrid.
“Not fast wnough,” Hagrid answered, his eye brows furrowed, “It’s not easy ter catch a unicorn, they’re powerful magic creatures. I never knew one ter be hurt before.”
My fear just ran deeper in my blood and I clutched Harry’s arm tighter. We passed what seemed to be a remarkably large stump that was absolutely covered in emerald moss. The burbling of a creek could be heard, we probably weren’t too far away. The drops of silver blood became to increase the farther we went up the path.
“You all right, Hermione?” Hagrid asked, seeing as Hermione looked green, “Don’ worry, it can’t’ve gone far if it’s badly hurt, an’ then we’ll be able ter- GET BEHIND THAT TREE!” Hagrid suddenly freaked out.
His arm swooped, shoving Harry, Hermione, and me into the rough bark of a tree. In his other hand he loaded his crossbow and aimed for something in the shadows. All of us were deathly silenced, straining to hear the slightest sound. I could hear leaves rattle, the same sound of a snake slithering by. Hagrid tried his hardest to see up the path, by a few seconds later, the noise vanished completely.
“I knew it,” Hagrid murmured, his tone sending shivers up my spine, “There’s summat in here that shouldn’t be.”
“A werewolf?” Harry asked.
“That wasn’t no werewolf an’ it wasn’t no unicorn, neither,” Hagrid said solemnly, “Right, follow me, but careful, now.”
I barely stepped onto the ground when I followed and I was pretty sure Harry was loosing blood circulation in his arm. I kept my ears open for any of the faintest sounds. Abruptly, there was a noise in the clearing. There was no mistaking it.
“Who’s there?” Hagrid’s voice boomed across the forest, “Show yerself- I’m armed!”
Suddenly, I heard something trot into the light. I didn’t know what it was, I first saw its hooves and chestnut fur, but I soon saw a toned body of a man with burning red hair. He seemed to be both man and horse. I felt my jaw drop, I’ve never seen anything like it. A centaur.
“Oh, it’s you, Ronan,” Hagrid greeted, obviously relaxing from his defensive position, “How are yeh?”
Hagrid smiled and shook the centaur’s hand.
“Good evening to you, Hagrid,” Ronan said and his voice was low melancholy voice, “Were you going to shoot me?”
“Can’t be too careful, Ronan.” Hagrid somewhat apologized, showing his crossbow, “There’s summat bad loose in this forest. This is Harry Potter, Emily Blarsh, an’ Hermione Granger, by the way. Students up at the school. An’ this is Ronan, you two. He’s a centaur.”
“We’ve noticed,” I faintly whispered.
“Good evening,” Ronan greeted, “Student, are you? And do you learn much, up at the school?”
“Erm-“ Harry scrambled to answer.
“A bit,” Hermione answered shyly.
“a bit. Well, that’s something.” Ronan exhaled and flung his mane of red hair, his eyes searching the sky, “Mars is bright tonight.”
“Yeah,” Hagrid said and looked up, too, “Listen, I’m glad we’ve run inter yeh, ‘cause there’s a unicorn bin hurt- you seen anythin’?”
Ronan stayed silent for a few seconds and continued to stare up at the sky, and heaved another sigh as if something bad was about to happen.
“Always the innocent are the first victims,” he just said, “So it has been for ages past, so it is now.” He continued mistily, not answering Hagrid’s question.
“Yeah, but have yeh seen aythin’, Ronan? Anythin’ unusual?” Hagrid asked again.
“Mars is bright tonight,” Ronan sounded like a broken CD player, “Unusually bright.”
“Yeh, but I was meanin’ anythin’ unusual a bit nearer home,” Hagrid said, a little frustrated, “So yeh haven’t noticed anythin’ strange?”
Ronan didn’t speak for a moment before answering, “The forests hides many secrets,” He said mysteriously.
What secrets could be lurking in these dark shadows?
I watched a branch behind Ronan quiver and Hagrid immediately raised his bow, but it only turned out to be a different centaur with oynx fur and hair, with a sturdier build than Ronan.
“Hullo, Bane,” Hagrid greeted again, “All right?”
“Good evening, Hagrid. I hope you are well?” Bane’s voice was just like Ronan’s sorrowful and deep.
“Well enough. Look, I’ve jus’ bin askin’ Ronan, you seen anythin’ odd in here lately? There’s bin a unicorn injured- would yeh know anythin’ about it?” Hagrid asked agina, trying to keep his patience.
Bane stood next to Ronan and stared up at the sky.
“Mars is bright tonight.” Bane sighed, just like Ronan.
“We’ve heard,” Hagrid said annoyed, “Well, if either of you do see anythin’, let me know, won’t yeh? We’ll be off, then.”
We followed Hagrid out of the clearing and heard him grumbling to himself. I looked over my shoulder and stared at the two centaurs until there were too many branches to recognize them.
“Never,” Hagrid huffed, “try an’ get a straight answer out of a centaur. Ruddy stargazers. Not interested in anythin’ closer’n the moon.” He shook his head.
“Just how many centaurs are there?” I asked, intrigued.
“Oh, a fair few… Keep themselves to themselves mostly, but they’re good about turnin’ up if I ever want a word. They’re deep, mind, centaurs… they know things…jus’ don’ let on much.” Hagrid grumbled the last part.
“D’you think that was a centaur we heard, earlier?” Harry asked.
“Did that sound like hooves to you? Nah, if yeh ask me, that was what’s bin killin’ the unicorns- never heard anythin’ like it before.”
“Sounded like a snake to me…” I whispered, thinking. It must have been something fully evil to kill a unicorn.
We continued walking through the dense, dark trees. I kept glancing around, a nervous feeling tingling in the back of my mind. It felt like someone was staring at us, but I could never see them anywhere. I suddenly felt very grateful that Hagrid had a crossbow gripped in his hands. We just turned on the path when Hermione clutched Hagrid’s arm.
“Hagrid! Look! Red sparks, the others are in trboule!” Hermione shouted, worried, and pointed up in the sky.
“You three wait here!” Hagrid ordered, “Stay on the path, I’ll come back for yeh!”
Soon, Hagrid was pushing his way through the shrubs and dead leaves. I grabbed Harry’s arm tighter and glanced at Hermione. Fear had finally struck them and when Hagrid’s rustling around was nowhere to be heard I froze. Only the whistle of the wind and the movement of the leaves could be heard.
“You don’t think they’ve been hurt, do you?” Hermione whispered.
“Or...” I gulped, “dead?”
“I don’t care if Malfoy ha, but if something’s got Neville…it’s our fault he’s here in the first place.” Harry answered and sounded worried towards the end.
We stayed silent, thinking, for the next few minutes. My senses seemed so sensitive, it seemed like I could heard the rustle of every leave, the scratch of every branch or see every bead of sweat on Harry’s forehead, the blood pulsing through my veins. I started to get anxious. Where was Hagrid and the others?
Suddenly, the cracks of twigs and the crunching of dead leaves could be heard, along with the angry muttering of Hagrid. I let go of Harry’s arm.
“Mafloy grabbed Neville an’ he shot up red sparks ‘cause he scared him,” Hagrid explained furiously, “Well be lucky ter catch anythin’ now, with the racket you two were makin’. Right, we’re changin’ groups- Neville, you stay with me an’ Hermione, Harry, Emily, you go with Fang an’ this idiot.” Hagrid thenleaned in and whispered to us, “I’m sorry, but he’lll have a harder frightenin’ you two, an’ we’ve gotta get this done.”
Both Harry and I nodded and turned to a glaring Malfoy. We began our journey into the deepest part of the woods, Fang sniffing the ground. The path seemed to get narrower and darker so I reached out blindly for Harry. I met his hand and let him lead me through the shadows. The silver blood still reflected the moonlight and it seemed to become more than just dripped the deeper we got into the tres. I ignored Malfoy the whole time, who was traveling behind me. Puddles of the reflective liquid lay at the base of trees, showing that the creature was probably close by. Suddenly, I noticed the trees got thinner up ahead.
“Look-“ Harry whispered, holding his arm out to stop Mafloy and I.
I saw the starlight give something an eerie white glow. We tip toed closer.
Suddenly, I realized it was a unicorn. It felt as if all the happiness drained out of me as soon as I saw it. It was an elegant creature, but sorrow filled me. Its legs were splayed out in weird directions were it laid and its radiant mane was strewn across the dark leaves.
I was still gripping Harry’s hand as we both took a step forward. Suddenly a snake sound sounded through the air. The slithering sound. My eyes quickly searched the area and spotted a trembling bush where a dark, hooded creature glided into the clearing. I froze stock still. The figure leaned over the unicorn’s neck and it was obvious he was sucking its blood, like a vampire.
Malfoy’s girlish scream echoed through the nothingness and he scurried away, along with Fang. The hooded creature glanced up and seemed to be staring right at Harry and me, the silver liquid dripping off its chin. It suddenly stood up and started to glide towards us.
Suddenly a twinge erupted through my wrist like never before. It burned and felt like liquid fire was running through my veins. I let go of Harry’s hand and fell to the ground. I grabbed my arm, ripping off my wrist band. It was pure agony and I started to scream. It was such a blinding pain, that it was hard to notice anything else. Although I could hear a familiar galloping and something went straight over me and reared in front of the creature.
I continued to just lay there on the leaf covered ground, screaming. The pain was unbearable and I squeezed my wrist as hard as I could as if it would just cut off the pain. As the minutes started going by, so did the pain. I heard someone calling me.
“Emily! Emily! It’s gone! Are you alright?!” It was Harry and his face was looming over mine.
I started to breathe heavily and I shook my head. There was still a slight ache in my wrist, but it was definitely was nothing compared to what it was before. I stuck my arm up and winced when I noticed it was my scarred arm. Harry then suddenly flipped it over and saw the V-shape mark. He glanced back up at me with questioning eyes. I pulled my arm and was completely confused. Why was this pain happening to me?! It was happening to Harry, too. But my scar was form scissors…
I suddenly noticed there was someone else with us, a centaur.
“Are you all right?” He asked both of us and I nodded my head.
“Yes- thank you- what was that?” Harry asked, completely confused like me.
The centaur didn’t answer for a few seconds. I noticed that he had platinum blond hair and a palomino body. His eyes just bore right into mine; they were a dazzling blue, as if they were sapphires. Just like Harry’s were emeralds. His stare glanced over to Harry’s forehead and then to my wrist.
“You are the Potter boy,” the centaur plainly said and looked over at me, “And I know who you are,” He told me and I let out a sigh of relief when he didn’t say my name, “You two had better get back to Hagrid. The forest is not safe at this time- especially for you. Can you ride? It will be quicker this way.”
He lowered his body for us as we nodded wordlessly. He knew I was a Black? How? Why did he glance at my wrist?
“My name is Firenze,” the centaur added.
Abruptly, there was the sound of galloping across from us. Ronan and Bane came through the trees, sweat coating their bodies.
“Firenze!” Bane bellowed furiously, “What are you doing? You have two humans on your back! Have you no shame? Are you a common mule?” He continued to criticize our rescuer.
“Do you realize who they are?” Firenze moved his head towards us, “This is the Potter boy and The Girl. The quicker he leaves this forest, the better.”
“What have you been telling them?” Bane snarled, “Remember, Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. Have we not read what is to come in the movements of the planets?”
I watched as Ronan scuffed his front hoof on the ground, “I’m sure Firenze thought he was acting for the best,” Ronan timidly whispered.
Bane reared his legs lividly.
“For the best?! What is that to do with us? Centaurs are concerned with has been foretold! It is not our business to run around like donkeys after stray humans in our forest!” Bane roared.
Firenze abruptly stood on his hind legs in anger and I grabbed onto Harry to keep from falling off.
“Do you not see that unicorn?” Firenze cried furiously at Bane, “Do you not understand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, with humans alongside me if I must.”
With that Firenze span around and I wrapped my arms as tight as I could around Harry, and Firenze thrust himself and us into the concealing branches, leaving Ronan and Bane in the dust.
After everything that had happened, my mind was jumbled like none other before.
“Emily, why did you have that scar on your wrist?” Harry asked.
“I thought I knew, but I don’t know anymore.” I whispered into his ear, sad. Did my mom lie to me?
“Why’s Bane so angry?” Harry asked Firenze, “What was that thing you saved us from anyway?”
Firenze started to slow to a trot and told us to duck our heads in case there were low-hanging branches. Firenze continued in silence, not answering Harry’s question. We rode quietly for so long, I was wondering if he was ever going to answer him. We were now riding through a seriously dense area of trees when he diecided to come to a sudden stop.
“Harry Potter, Emily Blarsh, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?” Firenze randomly asked and I stared at him in wonder.
“No,” Harry and I both answered and Harry continued, “We’ve only used the horn and tail hair in Potions.”
“That is because it is a monstrous thing to slay a unicorn,” Firenze answered, “Only one who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, would commit such a crime. The blood of a unicorn will keep oyu alive, even if you are an inch form death, but at a terrible price. You have something pure and defenseless to save yourself, and you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, form the moment the blood touches your lips.”
I stared at the back of Harry’s head, wondering who it could be so evil to do that…
“But who’d be so desperate?” Harry asked aloud, “If you’re going to be cursed forever, death’s better, isn’t it?”
“It is,” Firenze agreed, making me confused, “unless all you need is to stay alive long enough to drink something else- something that will bring you back to full strength and power- something that will mean you can never die. Mr. Potter, Miss Blarsh, do you know what us hidden in the in the school at this very moment?”
“The Sorcerer’s Stone!” I cried, “The person would want it to stay alive! But who would want it so mucht hey would drink unicorn blood for it?”
“Can you think of nobody who has waited many years to return to power, who has clung to life, awaiting their chance?” Firenze asked, urging us to think more.
It felt as though my lungs stopped working. Of course, how could I forget? He wanted to get back at Harry after all these years. Suddenly something started rustling.
“Do you mean,” I heard Harry barely get out, “that was Vol-“
“Harry! Emily! Are you alright?” Hermione’s voice came from behind us.
Hermione was the first one to emerge from the path, with Hagrid huffing behind her. I sat numbly on Firenze. There was only one thing ringing through my mind, Voldemort, Voldemort, Voldemort
Harry grabbed my hand as I slid of the centaurs back. I glanced at him with fearful eyes and he looked at me knowingly. He was back.
“I’m ok.” I breathed out, although it was obvious I wasn’t.
“Good luck, Harry Potter,” Firenze said, “The planets have been read wrongly before now, even by centaurs. I hope this is one of those times.”
He then leaned over to my ear, “Good luck to you too, Emily Black. You will find out who you are shortly. Beware.”
He straightened up and I stared at him, stunned. How did he know who I was? Did he know more than me?
He then ran off in the trees, leaving Harry and me with Hagrid and the others.
On the way to the castle, I stayed by Harry’s side and whispered into his ear, “I’m sorry for not telling you guys, but I didn’t want you to think bad of me. I’ve always been told it was from succors, but what you’ve seen tonight shows it isn’t just any scar. You felt it too right? The pain?” I asked him with questioning eyes.
“Yes, I felt it too, Emily. It was so strong, so blinding.” Harry whispered back.
“It was unbearable. My mom always said she use to be good friends with your parents, but I didn’t believe her. I’ve been having these dreams, a green flash, a woman screaming. Harry…I just don’t know what to think.” I put my head on his shoulder.
“Do you know what she looked like?” Harry asked.
“The woman? The dream is kind of blurry, but it’s slowly coming back to me. She had red hair…and dazzling green eyes.” I strained to remember.
“She was my mother. She was the one screaming.” Harry blankly said and the look in his eyes was astonishing. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking, but I hoped it wasn’t what I was.
When Harry, Hermione, and I reached the common room, we saw Ron was soundly asleep on one of the common room couches. I grabbed his shoulder, shaking it with Harry and Hermione and he started shouting things about Quidditch fouls when he woke up. Harry, Hermione, and I started explaining what happened in the forest, but Harry and I excluded the wrist part for now.
I was trembling in my seat as Harry just paced.
“Snape wants the stone for Voldemort… and Voldemort’s waiting in the forest… and all this time we thought Snape just wanted to get rich.” Harry shook his head.
“Stop saying the name!” Ron said in a horrified whisper and probably thought Voldemort could pop up any second now.
Harry ignored him, “Firenze saved me and Emily, he shouldn’t have done so… Bane was furious… he was talking about interfering with what the planets say is going to happen… They must show that Voldemort’s coming back…Bane thinks that Firenze should have just let Voldemort kill Emily and me..I suppose that’s written in the stars at well,” Harry spat.
“Will you stop saying that name?!” Ron snapped.
“So all I’ve got to wait for now is Snape to steal the Stone,” Harry continued eagerly, “then Voldemort will be able to come and finish me off… Well, I suppose Bane will be happy.”
I saw fear colored Hermione’s eyes, but she tried her best to comfort Harry’s nerves, “Harry, everyone says Dumbledore’s the only one You-Know-Who was ever afraid of. With Dumbledore around, You-Know-Who won’t touch you. Anyway, who says the centaurs are right? It sounds like fortune telling to me, and Professor McGonagall says that’s a very imprecise branch of magic.”
Silence followed. I decided that I would tell them. The whole time they were talking I was covering my wrist, my band lost in the forest. I took a deep breath, “Ok, guys, I know I should have told you guys this earlier,” I took my hand off my wrist and put it out for everyone to see, “I didn’t want you guys to think I was some freak or something, so I hid it. My mom has always told me I cut myself with scissors when I was a child, but…” I lingered off and Harry helped me.
“But, in the forest, when Voldemort appeared her scar started burning just like mine. Emily has been having these strange dreams, just like what I got after the mirror. She’s seen the green flash and she knows what my mother looks like! How could she know without…” He then trailed off, afraid to say it.
“Are you guys trying to say she was there with you, Harry? The night Voldemort killed your parents?” Hermione finally spoke.
“Well, it all makes sense, Hermione. But, why would you have been there that night?” Ron asked and I shook my head.
“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out.” I hurriedly got up and rushed to get a quill, ink, and parchment.
I brought it back and Hermione was gaping, “So you’re the Girl-Who-Lived. You defeated Voldemort with Harry.”
My body froze, surprised. I knew Harry before any of this. I helped Harry defeat Voldemort. I was just like him. I looked up at his blazing emerald eyes and instantly knew I was right. We were connected by that very fact.
I dipped my quill into the onyx ink and began writing:
Dear Mom,
I know about the scar. It wasn’t scissors. Explain yourself.
Love,
Emily
I set my quill aside and opened the window. I whistled for Rosemarie and saw her familiar form fly into the window.
“Rosemarie, take this to mom, ok?” I whispered to her and she grabbed the letter, flying off.
I would soon get my answer.
We continued to talk about Snape, Voldemort, Harry, and me throughout the night until the sky started turning orange. I drug myself with Hermione over to our dormitories and I fell dead onto my bed.
“Hermione, should I be afraid?” I whispered as I snuggled into my blankets.
“I don’t know.” She answered and I drifted into a dreamless sleep.