Little Black Sheep

Chapter Thirteen: Good Byes and Explaining

Little Black Sheep

Chapter Thirteen: Good Byes and Explaining

By Liz S.

It seemed like everything was completed. The Sorcerer’s Stone was out of Voldemort’s non-existent hands. The mystery to why Snape hated us was solved, somewhat. Gryffindor won the house cup. Classes were over. But, throughout the week I noticed some things were still unfinished. I had to still talk with my mom, which I was not looking forward to. I had to leave Harry, Hermione, and Ron, another downside. Through all the events that have been happening lately, I totally forgot one crucial part of this school year, exam results.

“Exam results?! Today!? I wonder what I got. What if I failed?” Hermione worried as the envelopes were being handed out.

“Hermione, you probably did fine! Like you always do. With your studying, there’s no way you could have gotten even an A- on anything.” I patted her shoulder, giggling at her fretfulness.

“How do you know, Emily?” She turned to me, her voice higher than usual.

“Relax, Hermione. It’s just like you to get all riled up on this. You did great and everyone bloody knows it.” Ron reassured her, although it was in a weary tone.

Although I knew that Hermione probably got the highest test scores in Hogwarts History, I had no clue what were mine. Sure, the questions were easy to answer, but what if I just studied the wrong stuff? What if I got everything wrong? My forgetfulness potion was a little strange after I made it, what if Snape flunked me? Did Professor McGonagall like hearts on snuffboxes? Now that I think about it, maybe it was a little fury… I gnawed at my bottom lip, scenarios rushing through my mind. If I didn’t pass, I would have to go back…

A sudden hand on my shoulder made me flinch and I turned to see Harry’s apprehensive smile.

“It’s going to be ok, Emily.” He tried to use a level voice, but I could hear the anxiety in his tone.

I gave a small grin in return and remembered. We were all nervous here, I wasn’t alone, “Thanks, Harry.”

“No problem.”

After all the papers were passed out, I took in a deep breath and looked at the others, “You ready?”

They were all clutching the yellowish envelopes, staring at them apprehensively. Despite that, they all looked up at me and said, “Ya.”

I closed my eyes, too afraid to see the official papers and the ripping sound of opening it rang through my ears. My stomach was filled with butterflies, from dread and curiosity. I started to jump a little in place, but my eyes remained closed as I pulled the sheets out.

“Erg! You guys look at it first and tell me if I did ok!” I tossed the papers in their general direction and I could hear gasps.

“Emily…” Ron trailed off and I knew I was done for.

“Is it really that bad? Oh my gosh! I failed! I’m not coming back! No!” I started to hyperventilate, when Hermione interrupted my freaking out session.

“No, Emily. You actually did…really good.” Her voice was slightly awed and my eyes shot open.

“What?” I asked, utterly confused.

“Look at her Potion’s grade!” Ron pointed to part of the paper.
They were all huddled around it, their eyes scanning the parchment, their eyes shining.

“Oh, I have to see it now!” I squealed and snatched the paper.
My eyes ran over it and I gasped.

The Wizardry grading system was much like the Muggle system. As I looked at the percentages next to my classes, I hoped I was right.

Astronomy: 90%
Herbology: 91%
History of Magic: 88%
Transfiguration: 105%
Defense Against the Dark Arts: 103%
Flying Lessons: 89%
Charms: 100%
Potions: 130%

I gaped at the numbers. I passed, most with flying colors. I don’t know how I could have gotten that grade in Potions. No way. I had to be dreaming. All that studying really had paid off. I looked up to see the others were looking at their own grades. I glanced over at Hermione’s.

Astronomy: 105%
Herbology: 109%
History of Magic: 115%
Transfiguration: 113%
Defense Against the Dark Arts: 105%
Flying Lessons: 98%
Charms: 112%
Potions: 110%

“Oh. My. God.” I breathed, “Hermione! You did amazing! Those have to be the highest grades ever!”

She noticed I was reading over her shoulder and blushed, “But you got 130% on your Potions exam! How did you do it, Emily?”

I put two and two together. I got a score higher than Hermione. Hermione Granger. The biggest know-it-all in Hogwarts and I scored higher than her.

I stared at her, fumbling for words, “I-I, wow, I don’t know. I didn’t think that… wow.”

“You have to let me borrow your notes! I have to know what I missed!” Hermione was very eager and I could her a little envy in her voice. Academics were her territory.

“Sure,” I grinned at her and pushed the thought of her jealousy away. No biggie.

I walked over to Ron’s grades and started to read.

Astronomy: 90%
Herbology: 85%
History of Magic: 81%
Transfiguration: 83%
Defense against the Dark Arts: 89%
Flying Lessons: 97%
Charms: 86%
Potions: 99%

“Ron! You did great! You passed! We’re going to second year!” I jumped up and down and he smiled at me.

“Ya, we are! I can’t believe I got that grade in potions!” He then started to whisper, “Even though Hermione is a pain in the arse, she does help.”

“I heard that!” Hermione’s indignant voice came from behind me and I laughed.

I walked over Harry, beaming.

“Watcha get?” I asked and Harry looked up from his paper.

His emerald eyes were shining and his smile was so wide I couldn’t believe his face could hold it, “I made it! I’m coming back!”

“That’s wonderful, Harry!” I squealed and he passed his paper to me and I scanned over it.

Astronomy: 95%
Herbology: 90%
History of Magic: 89%
Transfiguration: 90%
Defense against the Dark Arts: 100%
Flying Lessons: 98%
Charms: 93%
Potions: 97%

“Hey, all of you beat me in Flying Lessons! Am I really that bad at flying?” I asked, looking up to the ceiling.

“No one’s as terrible as Hermione,” Ron murmured and we all broke in laughter at enraged face.

“For your information, Ronald, I got a higher score than all of you on Flying Lessons.” Hermione huffed, holding out her paper.

“No way!” Ron gasped as he snatched it.
“Actually, Hermione, you and I have the same grade.” Harry told her as he looked over her grades.

“The same grade as Harry? No way! He’s the youngest Seeker in a century! How did you do it Hermione?” Ron’s voice was filled with disbelief.

“No offense, Hermione. But you aren’t really the best flyer,” I feebly added and she glared at Ron.

“Well, not all of that class is physical. You have to know a lot about flying too.” Her lips were pursed.

“But, that exam was mostly flying! You’re a terrible flyer!” Ron exclaimed.

“Well, those results obviously show that I’m not.” Hermione smirked and I saw as Neville started rushing towards us.

“Harry! Ron! Hermione! Emily! I passed!” Neville shouted, as happy as can be.

I looked over his sheet to see his Potion’s grade was atrocious, but his outstanding Herbology grade made up for it.

“Congratz Neville!” I smiled at him. What a sweet boy.

“Good job,” Harry patted his back and Ron and Hermione did the same.

“Did Draco and his goons pass as well?” I asked and Neville’s smile turned into a grimace.

“Ya,” he answered and I groaned.

“No…” Harry complained next to me.

“That’s impossible.” Hermione commented and Ron just sighed.

“You can’t have everything in life.” Ron told us and we nodded.

We left the Great Hall and ran outside to play some Quidditch with Seamus, Dean, Wood, and a few other Gryffindors. The day went by fast, along with the others following it.
Soon, the end was coming. I watched out dormitory empty out, Pavarti’s scarf that always hung off the pole of her bed, now absent, Lavender’s hair accessories vanished from our bathroom counter, and Hermione’s numerous large books were stowed away. It made me sad, watching everything disappear into trunks and luggage. It seemed like I finally had a family here, despite the fact my mom was at home.

The night before we had to leave, I tip toed the dormitory stairs one last time. I savored the moment, knowing I wouldn’t have a chance to do this again ‘till next September. I leaned into the banister, the smooth wood grains running under my fingers. The red carpet was still soft, despite how many people have trampled it over the year. As I reached the bottom I stopped and took in a deep breath as I looked around the room. The walls were a scarlet, dark and mysterious where the moonlight hit it, lively and animated where the fire’s glow reached it. The chairs in front of the fire casted long, sinister shadows behind them, but the seats glowed with the fire’s warmth. Everything about this room was opposite, which was probably attracted me to it. It could be a gloomy place when I felt sad, or it could be friendly when I wanted to think.

I stepped across the floor, feeling the carpet fibers squish through my toes. I took this time to remember what happened here. My memories where like ghosts in my mind’s eye as I played them out like a movie in front of me. My first night replayed in front of me, I could just imagine what my face looked like when I scrambled through the whole and into the room. I remember feeling homesick, missing my mother. I could see Hermione and I tip toeing down the stairs, a frighten look on my face as I saw the common room in a spooky gloom. She dragged me over to the painting door, wanting to stop Ron and Harry from going to Draco’s duel thing. I envisioned myself waiting for Harry to go to his first practice. All the times we did our homework. Preparing for getting the sorcerer’s stone. There were already so many things that have happened here, I would hate to see it all go away.

I gave a sorrow filled grin as I nestled myself in my seat, looking into the flames like all the times before. The velvet covering the chair somehow felt softer, as if saying goodbye. The fire flickered more wildly, waving me goodbye. I sighed, content in my place. I would miss the feeling, knowing when I got home, my mom would have to explain everything to me. I flinched when a voice suddenly echoed right behind me.

“Emily.”

The voice. The one that had been popping up all year. I span around, only to see nothing.

“You! Who are you?” I exclaimed, looking around.

His voice filled my ears, it was vaguely familiar, but I knew I never heard it from someone else before, “ I’ve already told you, Emily, I can’t say.”

“Why not?” I stood up, searching the room.

“It would change everything.” He explained and I huffed and gave up.

“Then why are you here?” I asked.

“To see you.” And I was stunned.

“Why would you want to see me?” I asked, incredulous.

“Because… well, I can’t answer that either.” He muttered.

“What can you tell me?” I called out into the empty room.

“That I’m so sorry. No matter what I said, no matter what I did, please forgive me.” He whispered and I could tell he was close.

I watched as a something metal tinkled as it hit the ground.

“Remember this moment, Emily Black. I miss you.” Then, as if I had a sixth sense, I could feel he was gone. I gaped, how did he know my real name?

I scampered over to the round object and only when I got closer I could see it was a ring.

When I picked it up and brought it over to the fire I could see it was shining. The band was golden, the flames’ light reflecting off of it. In the center was a green emerald with golden roses surrounding it. It was such a familiar ring. When I slipped it on to my pointer finger, I finally realized where I knew it from. It was my mother’s wedding ring.

Bizarre as it was, I smiled. I would remember this moment forever.

The next morning, I gathered all my things and accompanied Hermione as we walked to the Great Hall, for our last breakfast. He eyes were somewhat red, and I could tell she had been crying, but there was a smile on her face as we spotted Ron and Harry already at our usual spot.

“Oh, I can’t believe this is our last morning here!” I exclaimed as I sat down, scooping some oatmeal into a bowl.

“I’m going to miss all of you,” Hermione added and I heard her voice crack.

“Come on, guys. We’re going to see each other this summer. It’s going to be the best one yet.” Ron reassured us, beaming as he took a bite of bacon.

“I have the Dursely’s to go back to.” Harry muttered, staring sadly into his bowl.

“Harry, it’ll be fine. Now that they know you’re a wizard…” I trailed off and he got a mischievous look in his eyes.

“Now that they know I’m a wizard, they’ll back off.” Harry finished, beaming.

Suddenly, owls came flying in and scattered small slips all over the tables.

“I always hope they’ll forget to give us these,” Fred Weasely and his twin popped up out of nowhere.

“Give us what?” I asked as I picked up a slip and read it.

There will be no spell casting or any use of magic during your summer holiday. There will be consequences if you decide to ignore this request. Thank you.
Head Master Albus Dumbledore

I groaned, “No magic?”

“Yep, such a pain, right?” George added, staring playfully at the note, “But, I don’t think we’ll be listening to it.”

“George! Fred! It says ‘there will be consequences if you decide to ignore this request.’ You’re going to get in trouble!” Hermione exclaimed and they just smiled, shaking their heads.

“Sure, sure, they just say that so you won’t do it. They can’t possibly keep track of all of us.” Fred explained, grinning.

“Well, the train will be loading a few moments. See you on the train, Ronniekins.” George rubbed Ron’s head and the twins vanished.

“Erg, I’m going to kill them…” Ron muttered to himself, flattening his hair back down.

Suddenly, the room started clearing out, “Come on, guys! We need to get going!” I exclaimed and grabbed Hermione’s hand, my luggage in the other.

We ran off to the front of the castle, Hagrid meeting us there.

“Come on! Four to a boat!” Hagrid called and I smiled as I walked pass, getting into a boat with Hermione, Ron, and Harry.

Hagrid led us across and soon enough we were finally boarding the Hogwarts Express on our way home. It was all a blur to me now, we talked about Quidditch, our exams, about Snape. We stayed away from topics about the Stone and Voldemort, trying to keep it light during our last time seeing each other. We laughed all the way back to King’s Cross Station, full of Pumpkin Pasties, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavored Beans, and Chocolate Frogs. We switched out of Hogwart’s robes sadly and slipped on Muggle clothing and got ready to leave.

Everyone was in a huge crowd as we pushed and shoved to get out, our luggage tripping people. After a very long time, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I reached the front and made it onto the platform. There was this old ticket guard who was conducting us out, two’s and three’s at a time, to keep the Muggles oblivious that children were walking through a train station barrier. I made it through with Hermione and Harry and Ron were waiting for us.

“You must come and stay this summer,” Ron was saying as he spotted us, “all of you- I’ll send you an owl.”

“Thanks,” Harry looked relieved, “I’ll need something to look forward to.”

“You’re not the only one.” I smiled at Ron.

People all around us were calling out, “Bye, Harry!”

“See you, Potter!”

I looked over at Harry, to see he was slightly blushing and I nudged his with my elbow.

“Still famous,” Ron commented, playfully teasing him.

“Not where I’m going, I promise.” Harry reassured him and suddenly, the Weasely’s appeared.

“There he is, Mom, there he is, look!” Ron’s smaller sister was pointing at Harry, grinning. By what Ron has told me, she had a huge crush on him, like a celebrity crush, “Harry Potter! Look, Mom! I can see-“ She was cut off by her mom’s stern tone.

“Be quiet, Ginny, it’s rude to point.”

As we got closer, Mrs. Weasely smiled at us, “Busy year?”

“Very,” Harry answered, “Thanks for the fudge and the sweater, Mrs. Weasely.”

“Oh, it was nothing, dear.” Mrs. Weasely replied, her voice motherly.

Suddenly, a very unwelcoming tone rang through the air behind me, “Ready, are you?”

I turned around to see a very short, wide, red faced man. He glared at Harry, his eyes flickering over to the owl every so often. I looked behind them to see a boy that looked like the glaring man and a tall and stick thin woman slightly trembling, her eyes wide as she stared at Harry. I assumed immediately this was his uncle, aunt, and cousin. Oh boy.

“You must be Harry’s family!” Mrs. Weasely exclaimed, happily.

“In a manner of speaking,” The uncle’s voice was resentful and he turned back to Harry, “Hurry up, boy, we haven’t got all day.” And he wobbled off.

Once he was out of ear shot I looked over at Harry, “Can’t you stay with me instead of them? We have enough room where I live.” I pleaded, glaring at the uncle’s retreating form.

“Sorry, I can’t. But, I’ll see you guys over the summer.” Harry smiled at my offer ad then looked over his shoulder, “Better get going then.”

“Hope you have-er- a good holiday,” Hermione said, staring after Harry’s uncle.

“Oh, I will,” Harry reassured us, a sly grin on his lips and I glanced over him, shocked, “They don’t know we’re nto allowed to use magic at home. I’m going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer…”

I giggled and as he started walking away, I ran up and hugged him, “You’ll have to tell me all about it, ok?”

“I will.” He stiffly hugged me back and ran off.

I hugged Ron good bye and his family left. Only Hermione was left.

“Hermione!” I heard a high female voice call.

“Mom!” Hermione shouted and waved.

Suddenly, I saw to normal looking people walk up, fascination evident in their faces, “Who is this?” The father asked.

“Oh, mom and dad, this Emily. Emily, these are my parents, the dentist.” Hermione pointed back and forth and I smiled, holding out my hand.

“Nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Granger.” I shook their hands.

“Nice to meet you too, Emily.” Her mother replied and her dad looked at his watch.

“We better get going. I have an appointment for a root canal at two. It was wonderful to meet you, Emily. Come on, Hermione.” Her dad said and they turned.

“Bye Emily, see you over the summer.” She waved and I hugged her.

“Good bye, Hermione. I’ll miss you.” I whispered.

“I’ll miss you too,” and then she left, mixing in the sea of people.

I sighed as I sat on a bench, waiting for my mother to arrive. Suddenly, a familiar female voice rang through the air.

“Emily! Emily!” It was my mother and I stood up, looking for her familiar brown hair.

“Over here mom!” I called.

“Oh, Emily! There you are! Let’s get to the floor station.” She started ushering me through the crowd and a thought popped into my mind, but I decided to voice it when we got home.

As I was enveloped in the green flames and was back in to my familiar living room I sighed.

“Emily, you have to tell me everything!” My mother squealed.

“Mom, I-“ I tried to say, but she kept talking.

“I mean, I haven’t been to Hogwarts in years! Has it changed since then?” She rambled on.

“Mom, I have to-“ I started again, but was cut off.

“I wonder if any of my old teachers are still there, is-“ I finally cut her off.

“MOM!” I shouted and she shut up, blinking at me.

“What?” She asked.

“We have to talk about what happened that night.” I said and she slumped.

“Ok… but I’m not saying why your father isn’t here. You’re not old enough.” She said, plopping onto our familiar couch.

“But mom I-“ I tried to say, but she put her hand up.

“Emily Delphina Black!” She shouted, “That is not up for debate. Now, if you want your questions answered, please sit down.” She pointed to the chair across from her and I sat.

“Now, what do you want to know?” She asked softly.

“Why did you keep this from me?” I asked, looking at the carpet.

“Emily, your father and I…” she started to explain and I got lost in the information she gave.

My life was never really going to be the same, but I couldn’t decide whether that was good or bad. I guess I had to live it out to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
~(Author’s Note)~
I’m sorry for the wait, but my computer has been screwing up lately. I hope you like this chapter, although it is short. I plan to start the second book soon. There’s so many things I still need to reveal :P Remember, don’t forget the little things. . Thank you again!
-Liz