Little Black Sheep

Chapter Two: The Sorting Hat

Suddenly, a dark-haired, tall witch wearing emerald green clothes and cat like glasses stood in front of everyone, her expression forbidding.
“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” Hagrid greeted.
“Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.” Her voice was proper and a crackly edge to it, just like a grandmothers.
She then led us through the door and into the entrance hall. It was massive and had stone walls with torches that lit up the hallways and leaded to a gray marble staircase. I rushed up to the guys who were in the front of the crowd.
“Ron! Harry!” I loudly whispered into their ears.
Their heads swiveled around and when they saw I was right next to me, they smiled. My heart gave a squeeze; no one ever did that when I came around. I usually got sneers. We continued to follow Professor McGonagall across a flagged stone floor. I could hear hundreds of voices melded together, but were somewhat muted. They were probably in a large room with everyone else from school in it, although, we passed the room with the deafening voices and walked on to an empty chamber.
“Welcome to Hogwarts.” Professor McGonagall’s voice silenced the first years throughout the small room, “The start-of-the-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is s very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.
“The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points, At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.
“The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.” She looked disdainfully at Neville’s cloak, which was fastened under his ear, and Ron who had dirt still on his nose. I watch as Harry tried to smooth his ruffled hair.
“I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly.” And with that she left, her heels clicking on the cold stone.
“How exactly do they sort us into houses?” Harry asked Ron, an anxious edge to his voice.
“Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.” He said, a little doubtful.
“Of course, it wouldn’t hurt right? I mean why would they have you in pain in front of the whole school? What sort of test? Oh my gosh! What if we don’t pass?! What will happen then?!” I started to hyperventilate and Ron grabbed my arm.
“Emily! Chill! It’ll be fine.” Ron assured me and my breathing started to calm.
I looked over at Harry to see an extremely fretful expression gracing his features. I put my hand on his shoulder, “Harry, it’ll be ok. If anyone is going to do fine, it’ll be you.” He gave me a thank you glance and a small smile.
Suddenly, everyone jumped about six feet in the air and a few people screamed. I turned around to see about two dozen ghosts around us. They were a murky white and only slightly transparent and the smoothly soared inches above the ground and chatted with each other, completely ignoring the first years. A chunky monk looking ghost was saying “Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-“
She was cut off by another ghost, “My dear Friar, haven’t we given Peeve’s all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know he’s not really even a ghost- I say, what are you all doing here?” He finally saw all of us watching them.
Everyone kept silent.
“New students?” said the supposed Friar as she smiled at us, “About to be sorted I suppose?”
A few semi-stunned students nodded silently.
“Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!” she said, “My old house, you know.”
“Move along now,” the now familiar stern voice entered the room,” The Sorting Ceremony’s about to start.” And soon enough the ghosts disappeared, fading through walls. A chill went up my spine.
“Now, form a line and follow me.” McGonagall told us and we followed once more.
I cast worried glances at Ron and Harry, gripping both their hands tight, a habit I had with my mom whenever I got worried. I looked up as we enter the huge room to see the ceiling seemed endless and had floating lit candles everywhere. There were four tables that looked like lunch tables from my old school with at least two hundred kids at each one. All the students had dazzling, gold plates, cups, and utensils in front of them, all empty. In front of everyone there was table where all the presumed teachers sat and right in the middle was a man with a long beard, half moon glasses, twinkling eyes, and was found in a Chocolate Frog card, Albus Dumbledore. We were led so that we faced away from the teachers and in full view of the students. All eyes landed on us. There were ghosts that weaved through the tables and many faces were smiling. I heard a click as Professor McGonagall places a stool in front of the room and set down an old, beaten up, classical witch’s hat. Suddenly, a rip by the brim of the hat appeared and started to sing:
“Oh, you may not think I’m pretty,
But don’t judge on what oyu see,
I’ll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There’s nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can’t see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid to toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you’re a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You’ll make real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don’t be Afraid!
And don’t get in a flap!
You’re in safe hands (though I have none)
For I’m a Thinking Cap!”
Thunderous clapping came from the tables and most of the first years, although some were still stunned by the fact it could talk. The hat then bowed and the room became silent once again.
“So we’ve just got to try on the hat!” Ron whispered to Harry and I, his voice angry, “I’ll kill Fred, he was going on about wrestling a troll.”
That somewhat reassured me, but I was still afraid. Did it talk aloud to everyone? Did it reveal her deepest secrets? Could it even see those secrets? ‘There’s nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can’t see.’ Oh dear. What if it blurted that she was a Black?! I waited worriedly as Professor McGonagall pulled out a roll of parchment.
“When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Abbott, Hannah!” She called and my worries increased. I wouldn’t have to wait for the hat to say I was a Black, she’d jus say it.
The hat was set on her head, over her eyes. There was a pause when it suddenly yelled, “HUFFLEPUFF!” A table cheered loudly and the Friar ghost waved her as she clumsily hopped off the stool and to her table. Please be there another A…please be there another A…
“Blarsh, Emily.” Professor McGonagall called, looking at me.
I looked over at Dumbledore to see him wink and I smiled.
“Go, Emily!” I heard Harry whisper and Ron gave me a small shove.
I walked slowly to the stool, gulping, and placed the hat on my head.
“Well, well, well, what do we have here? A Black! But not just any Black, but Sirius’s daughter. Hmm…you can be very witty when you want to yes, a fairly smart girl for her age, but you have a thirst in you. You want to be wanted. You were brave to stand up to the Draco boy and talk to Harry Potter…Yes, Harry Potter. You have a grand road in front of you…yes, where should I put you? You’d do great in Slytherin.”
A flash of Draco came into my mind and I whispered, “Please, no.”
“You don’t want to be put in there? You have many talents that would help you succeed in that area, but I guess if you don’t want to you might as well be put into GRYFFINDOR!”
I gave a huge sigh of relief as the table covered in gold and red cheered. I hurriedly skipped off over there where there was an empty section and waited for everyone else to be called.
“Bones, Susan!”
Suddenly, two red-head boys appeared by both my sides, causing me to give out a little squeak.
“Hey girly!” Both said at the same time in both of my ears.
“I’m Fred!” the one on my left said.
“And I’m George!” The other one explained.
“We’re Ron’s brothers!” the both said, again.
“We just say you talking to him and wanted to get to know you.” The one named Fred said, a smile on his face.
“W-well, I’m Em-Emily.” I said, still shakened and thoroughly embarrassed.
“Aww…you’re making her blush Fred!” George came into my vision.
“I make any girl blush.” Fred bragged, smoothing back his hair.
“Yeah right…I bet I could make her blush too!” He suddenly went really close up to my face, “Oooohhh! Grey eyes. Ron chose good.”
My face literally felt like it was on fire, “Chose good?” I squeaked, my face getting warmer, which didn’t seem possible.
“Ha, I made her blush more than you!” He laughed at his brother, Fred.
Soon it became a game of who could make me blush more. Suddenly, our table erupted in cheers, saving me form the blush game and I scooted to the very end of the table, away from the twins. Hermione suddenly sat next to me, her face beaming. I felt happy for her until she opened her mouth and said, “You know, your face looks like a cherry, what happened to you?”
“Long story…” I said, glaring at the two twins who just looked at me innocently.
Hermione looked over at them and actually giggled like a normal girl. I watched as the names kept rolling by and I thought back to what the hat said to me. He said I have a grand road in front of me. What was that supposed to mean? My mom always said I had a reason for being here, but are those two somehow related? Does he know this certain ‘road’ that I’m taking? And why did he say Harry’s name again? How was it brave to stand up to Draco? He was a coward. I have talents that would help me in Slytherin? Like what? Stuttering? Sure…I suddenly heard a name I’ve been waiting for.
“Potter, Harry!”
The Grand Hall erupted into disbelieving whispers.
“Potter, did she say?”
“The Harry Potter?”
“The Boy who lived?!”
I watched as he walked over to the stool, sat on it, and had the hat cover his eyes. The room was dead silent. After a few minutes of deafening quietness the hat boomed, “Gryffindor!” and our table went wilder than before.
I saw the eldest Weasely brother shake Harry’s hand enthusiastically and the two twins yell “We got Potter! We got Potter!”
Hermione, Neville (I just noticed he got to the table), and I started screaming and whooping for Harry. I tried waving to get him got over here as he was praised, even by a ghost! His eyes started searching and finally, he found me and jumped up and came over to that seat empty next to me.
“Congratulations, Harry!” I cheered a huge smile on my face.
“Congrats to you too! Man what a rush…” He also had a huge grin and his green eyes sparkled.
“Ya, it sure was. Wasn’t that hat strange, though?” I asked, thinking back to what he said to me.
“It seemed a little crazy to me.” He shook his head.
“What did he say to you?” I asked, curious to what he had to say to the Famous Harry Potter.
“It’s…sort of private.” I heard him mumbled and my smile dropped a little.
“Ya, mine too.”
“Looks like that Emily girl is already taken…” I heard either Fred’s or George’s voice and I quickly started to blush, “See, I got her to blush again!” I heard one of them yell faintly.
I looked over to Harry to see he didn’t notice and I glanced up at the hat after noticing the room was quiet again. Ron was up. He looked like he was about to be sick, but the hat was placed on his head and immediately it roared, “GRYFFINDOR!” I started to clap widely for him as he was congratulated by his eldest brother and plopped into a seat next to Harry.
“Good job, Ron!” I gave him a high-five as his eyes continued to be a little dazed.
The last few people were sorted and Professor rolled up her scroll, taking the Sorting Hat with her. I looked around for waiters or waitresses as she left, hoping the feat would start, but no one came. Headmaster Dumbledore then stood up with a full, sincere smile and spread his arms out wide.
“Welcome!” his voice echoed throughout the room, “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Thank you!”
Dumbledore sat down while everyone applauded and I sat puzzled that he would say such things.
“Is he-a bit mad?” Harry asked Ron’s older brother…Percy?
“Mad?” Percy said lightly, “He’s a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes. Potatoes, Harry?” I over heard their conversation, which answered my question.
“What makes Dumbledore such a great wizard?” I asked and Percy gasped.
“What makes Dumbledore such a great wizard?! He’s done…” I stopped listening as soon as I saw the food. It was in giant mounds on gold platters and serving bowls. I started grabbing some roast beef and nodded my head at the right moments for Percy.
“He defeated the dark wizard Gindelwald, discovered twelve uses of dragon’s blood, and worked on alchemy with Nicolas Flamel! He also…” I continued to nod, digging into the mash potatoes.
I suddenly saw a ghost by Harry’s side, staring longingly at his overly-filled plate.
“That does look good.” He said. He was a ghost with one of those William Shakespeare type ruffs around his neck.
“Can’t you-?” Harry started to ask but the Ghost answered anyway.
“I haven’t eaten for nearly four hundred years,” the Shakespeare ghost said, “I don’t need to, of course, but one does miss it. I don’t think I’ve introduced myself? Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at your service. Resident house of the Gryffindor Tower.”
“I know who you are!” Ron exclaimed, “My brothers told me about you- you’re Nearly Headless Nick!”
“I would prefer you call me Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-“ he started, looking somewhat insulted at the nickname when a boy named Seamus Finnigan cut him off.
“Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?” Seamus asked, curious.
The ghost seemed a little irritated that the conversation came to this and replied, “Like this,” and pulled his left ear, the rest of his head following, except a small strip of skin that kept his head on. He had a slightly satisfied smile when he looked at Seamus’s stunned expression. He then just yanked his shoulders and the head plopped back on. “So-new Gryffindor’s! I hope you’re going to help us win the house championship this years? Gryffindors have never gone so long without winning. Slytherins have got the cup six years in a row! The Bloody Baron’s becoming almost unbearable- he’s the Slytherin ghost.”
I glanced over at the Slytherin table to see the Bloody Baron sitting right next to Malfoy, who was grimacing, and he had lifeless eyes, a thin, bony face, and was wearing old robes stained with silver like blood.
“How did he get covered in blood?” the overly excited Seamus asked.
“I’ve never ask.” Sir Nick answered as if it was nothing.
I swore my face turned snow white and I could feel my roast beef burbling in my stomach. When many people were done having dinner, desserts popped out of no where. There were many ice creams in front of me, Jell-O’s, puddings, cakes, and pies… I choose to have a crème Brue lea and joined into the conversation everyone was having.
“I’m half-and-half. Me dad’s a Muggle. Mom didn’t tell him she was a witch ‘til after they were married. Bit of a nasty shock for him.” A few at the table laughed after Seamus finished.
“What about you Neville?” Ron asked.
“Well, my gran brought me up and she’s a witch,” Neville began, “but the family thought I was all-Muggle for ages. My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off guard and force some magic out of me-he pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned-but nothing happened until I was eight. Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles when my Great Auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidently let me go. But I bounced- all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased, Gran was crying she was so happy. And you should have seen their faces when I got in here- they thought I might not be magic enough to come, you see. Great Uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad. What about you Emily? You come from a magic family?”
“Well, both of my parents come from magic families. I never knew my dad though.” I said my eyes casted down.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I know what it’s like not having a parent.” Neville sympathized with me, his face sad.
“Ouch!” I suddenly heard Harry yell, his hand on his head.
“What happened?!” I fussed, worried he accidently cut himself.
“N-nothing.” He said, still staring at something.
I looked at the direction Harry was staring to see a man with yellow-ish skin, long, greasy black hair, and a large bird beak-like nose talking to another teacher in a turban. Suddenly, his gaze came over to me, and my wrist started to hurt. I could see recognition in those eyes, along with hatred. The pain quickly flocked away and I continued to stare at him, my mind curious and jumbled.
I overheard Harry asking Percy a question, “Who’s that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?”
“Oh, you know Quirrell already, do you? No wonder he’s looking so nervous, that’s Professor Snape. He teaches Potions, but he doesn’t want to- everyone knows he’s after Quirrell’s job. Knows an awful lot about the Dark Arts, Snape.”
What was this ‘Snape’s’ problem?
Soon the desserts vanished into thin air and Professor Dumbledore stood up again. Everyone quieted down.
“Ahem- just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices for you.
“First years should note that the forest on grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well.”
Dumbledore’s friendly stare landed on the Weasely twins.
“I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.
“Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch.
“And finally, I must tell you this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-handed side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.”
I heard Harry laugh, but I had a creepy feeling he was telling the truth.
“He’s not serious?” I heard him mutter to Percy.
“Must be.” Percy answered a frown on his face, “It’s odd, because usually he gives us a reason why we’re not allowed to go somewhere- the forest’s full of dangerous beasts, everyone knows that. I do think hr might have told us prefects, at least.”
“And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song.” Dumbledore said joyously while the other teachers had more false smiles on.
Dumbledore flicked his wand, gold ribbons coming out, and created words above everyone’s heads.
“Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go!” He then started to sing.
The school followed:
Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they’re bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we’ve forgot,
Just do your best, we’ll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.”
Many people continued after I finished the song to the beat of “Frosty the Snow Man” which I remembered from an old Christmas special I saw as a kid. I looked over at the Weasely twins to see their faces solemn and the lyrics of the song came out slow and, I assumed, dreary. I started to laugh until my gut hurt at their wackiness. Dumbledore waved his wand around his eyes closed and a smile on his face as he ‘conducted’ the last few lines. Everyone started to clap, but you could hear the old man’s clap above everyone else’s.
“Aww music,” Dumbledore mused as he ran his finger under his eye, “A magic beyond all we do here! Off you trot!”With that, everyone rose from their tables.
“Gryffindor first years, follow me!” I heard Percy yell, trying to keep in an orderly fashion over all the cluttering noise.
I stood up, waited for Harry and Ron, and then let Percy lead us to our common room. We first walked out the Great Hall, and up a marble staircase once again.
“Be careful, watch your step.” Percy warned, as if we didn’t know that already.
“Your brother sure seems to like being in charge.” I whispered over to Ron.
He got an annoyed look on his face, “You should see him at home.”
I looked over at Harry as we passed through a doorway that was hidden by a tapestry. His eyes seemed to droop and he stumbled once or twice on the stone floor. “Harry? You need to stay awake, alright?”
His head bopped up and he nodded to me, “Ya, I’m still awake.”
I smiled at his crooked glasses, “Sure.”
“Is that Harry Potter?”
“Oh dear, I can’t believe my eyes.”
“Where is he?”
Whispers from the paintings surrounded us, but it didn’t seem like Harry even noticed. We started to climb another staircase again and a yawn escaped my mouth. Today was quite a day. Soon, I heard yawns and groans from throughout our group.
“Come on, we’re almost there.” Percy’s nasally voice filled the air again, when suddenly we came to a stop.
There were a few walking sticks floating in the air, as if someone was holding them. Percy stepped forward with a scowl on his face and they started flinging themselves at him.
“Peeves.” Percy he explained to the group behind him, “A poltergeist.” He then called to the ghost in a louder voice, “Peeves- show yourself.”
A blaring, vulgar sound suddenly filled the air, reminding me of an overly filled whoopy-cushion being sat on.
“Do you want me to go get the Bloody Baron?” Percy threatened.
An abrupt pop met my ears and a short man with crazy eyes and a large smile came out of no where, floating with his legs in Indian-style, his long knobby fingers grasping the sticks.
“Ooooooh!” he awed, an evil pleasure in his eyes, “Ickle Firsties! What fun!”
He hastily dipped down into the air, heading right for the group. All of all ducked our heads as he flew by. I casted him a cold glare. He was no better than anyone at my elementary.
“Go away, Peeves, or the Baron’ll hear about this, I mean it!” Percy yelled, his anger rising.
Peeves gave us a raspberry and left, turning invisible. The dropping sticks that were once clutched in his hands, fell on top of poor Neville’s head.
“Ow!”
I could hear the clanging of the armor suites that lined the hallway, a sure sign he had passed them.
“You want to watch out for Peeves. The Bloody Baron is the only one who can control him, he won’t even listen to us Prefects.” He warned us and walked up to a painting, “Here we are.”
It was a sort of an odd picture. It was a portrait of a extremely fat lady wearing an elegant rose-pink dress that did not help her figure at all.
“Password?” she asked, her voice reminding me of an opera singer’s.
“Caput Draconis.” Percy replied.
“Welcome home.” She said as she swung open, only to expose a circular hole in the stone wall.
“This way.” Percy said as he lifted one of his long legs into the hole and continued to the other side.
I gripped the sides on the hole, flinging my two legs in, to have them swing down onto the other side.
“Uh, I need a little help guys.” I could faintly hear Neville say as I entered the room.
It was amazing. I walked across the red carpet, suddenly homesick. What would my mother be doing right now? Sleeping.
“Girls’ dormitory to the left, boys’ to the right. Get some sleep, you have quite the day tomorrow.” And he left, going to his sleeping quarters.
I took a long lonely glance at the roaring fire, its flames glittering.
“Good night, Emily.” I heard Harry say beside me and started climbing his stairs.
“Good night, Harry.” I whispered back and started heading towards my dormitory.
As the steps finally ceased, I could see the tower held a few rooms, but the one in front of me held five beds with red velvet curtains, gold comforters, and luggage next to seem. I could hear Rosemarie coo next to the far left window, she had missed me.
“Rosemarie!” I ran to her cage and stroked her speckled feathers through the thin gold bars, “I’m sorry, sweetie. Are you alright?”
She just looked up at me with her solid black eyes and cooed almost sleepily and nudged my fingers with her beak.
“Oh, so there’s your bed, mine is over here-of course- and you have an owl.” Hermione’s voice said right behind me and I turned around. She continued to babble on, “I have a cat and she is really quite lovely. I have many trunks-of course- where else would I put all of my books? I brought some extra books for reading like The Physiology of Half-breed Mythical Creatures and The History of Magic: Years 300 A.D. to 1000 A.D. and I suppose you haven’t read them- of course- so maybe you could borrow them after I’m done with them. Weren’t those paintings in the hallways just so strange? They’re enchanted. Well, it’s getting late and we should get some sleep. We have classes tomorrow-of course- Good night.” And with that, she started rifling through her things and pulled out a night gown.
“Ya, good night, Hermione.” I answered, thinking this was going to be a long year.
I unbuckled my suite case and rummaged through it to pull out a lavender tank top and sky blue shorts. I slipped them on and gingerly got under the golden covers of my bed. “Good night, Rosemarie.” I said to my owl and blew out my candle, mine the last one still lit.
“Master…” a whisper rang through the total darkness.
“Master…” it started to become clearer and the voice was frantic.
A blurred scene unfolded. A blob like figure seemed to be standing in a room.
“Master! Nothing has changed!” Its voice was worried.
“It will in time, slave. Be paitent.” Another voice came softly from the air, it was weak, but still had a crsip, cool edge to it, “It will.”
“Of course, Master, of course.” The first voice whimpered.
I woke up suddenly to find my wrist felt like it was blazing uncontrollably. It was just like when I saw Professor Snape. Cold sweat dampened my forehead and I squeezed my wrist really hard to try to stop the pain. The sharp sting suddenly vanished and I felt exhausted. I looked around the pitch black room to see no one had woken up at my sudden awakening. I slowly laid back down and let my eyes close.
When the sun rose the next morning into my eyes, I couldn’t remember most of it only that on of them said ‘Nothing has changed!’ I pushed it away, getting my robes for my first day.