Little Black Sheep

Chapter Six: Tampered Quidditch Game

Chapter Six:
I watched as October faded away and November snuck its way in, right under my nose. The wonderful scarlets, golds, and ambers died away into a lifeless brown and the trees became bare, like a clean-picked skeleton, the lingering ghost of a prosperous summer. Our mountains that towered like a fortress wall around our school dulled and became an icy gray, no longer holding the lush green grass that on my first night here I admired. The once black lake that held mystery for me as I rode across it with Hagrid now froze over, now a shinning silver. Despite the fact that everything was dying outside, everyone inside was excited as ever. Every morning I would watch Hagrid walk out from his small hut covered in a homemade coat, gloves, and hat to the Quidditch field and defrost each broom, his breath misting in the air. The Quidditch season had begun.
Today was Saturday and the first game of the season had arrived, Slytherin vs. Gryffindor. Harry had been practicing for weeks and I saw him improve every single practice. I couldn’t wait to see how his skills were in a real game. This game, if won by Gryffindor, would also bring us up in the championship cup finals, which would leave Draco speechless. That was probably the best part of it all.
Ron, Hermione, and I were pretty much the only people who knew that Harry was a seeker and the only ones to see him play. Wood wanted to keep it that way, so he would be their ‘secret weapon.’ Of course, rumors of Harry being the Gryffindor seeker spread through the hallways, which I blamed on Draco. Over the last few days people have been randomly walking up to Harry, telling him good luck and that’d he’d be great, or that they would be standing under him, waiting for him to fall.
Wood and I stayed good friends. Ever since he found me crying in the Quidditch pitch, we stayed close and whenever the Weasely’s teased me, Wood would always say something to back me up. I was grateful for his company, I always could confide in him anything, like a big brother I’ve never had, or a dad that I wished was still around. If I ever seemed to be acting weird at Quidditch practices, he would ask me what was wrong and bug me until I confessed. I would miss him after he left two years from now.
Hermione and I also had a growing friendship. Ever since the boys befriended her, she was getting closer to me. Even though she still tended to brag, she was trying to fix that, she was a great person to talk to. Since our beds were close together, we would talk throughout the night about anything. I would always ask her for logical solutions to problems that had happened earlier that day and she would always give advice. She, despite how much she talked, was a great listener. I would always tell her about how Snape was giving Harry and me a hard time and she always knew the right thing to say. As she got more settled in the group, she let more broken rules pass than she did before, probably because we saved her from the mountain troll. Not to sound like I’m using her or anything, but ever since we became closer friends, she helped us with our homework. I don’t know how I did my homework before Hermione, because now I could get it done in a fraction of the time.
My friendship with Harry and Ron was also getting stronger. Although, that little blip that happened on Halloween would always scar Ron’s and I’s friendship. Whenever he was around, I would be a little careful about what I would say and I could tell he noticed, because every time he did there would be a flash of regret in his eyes. Ron still wasn’t super happy about Hermione, but he seemed to be growing closer to her, maybe Wood was right. Harry and I continued to talk any chance we got. If we were ever alone, deep subjects would always be brought up, such as his parents’ murder or my dad’s ‘disappearance’ He always understood everything I told him, but sometimes I couldn’t understand him. Every time we would talk, he would always somehow change the way I looked at something. Of course, we didn’t always talk about those things. In fact, we talked about Ron and Hermione a lot! Just recently he told me about the book Hermione lent to him: Quidditch Through the Ages, which I was surprisingly interested in.
He would tell me about the seven hundred ways of committing a Quidditch foul and how all of them were committed in the World Cup match in 1473. I would laugh at some of them, seeing how ridiculous they were. He also told me about Seekers and how they were usually were the smallest and fastest players. When he told me they were also the most ‘accident prone’ I started to worry. What if the Slytherins did something to him? He reassured me, saying that people rarely died in Quidditch, even the professionals, although referees have been found stranded in the Sahara Desert months later.
Our relationship with Snape just grew more bitter and bitter after each class; I should have known it was about time he would do something out of class. It was yesterday, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I were walking in the freezing cold, coats wrapped around our shivering bodies. Hermione decided to conjure up this blue fire in a jar, to keep us warm. We kept our backs to it; the heat seeping right through our coats, but not too long later Snape could be seen passing through the courtyard. I looked closely to see he was hobbling and had a large limp. Subconsciously we all moved closer to the fire, to hide it from Snape, although I'm pretty sure we had no clue if having a portable fire was against the rules or not. Snape glanced over and I bet he could just smell our guiltiness and he strode over. Once he came closer it was evident he didn't see the fire, but he continued to glare at us.
"What's that you've got there, Potter?" Snape sneered at us.
I watched as Harry pulled out his favorite book, Quidditch Through the Ages and showed it to Snape reluctantly.
"Library books are not allowed to be taken outside the school," Snape said, smug and snatched the book from Harry's hands, "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."
"He's just made that rule up." Harry grumbled, anger blazing in his eyes, "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"
"I don't know, but I hope it's as much of a pain as he is to us." I said and we continued off to our classes.
After dinner we returned to the common room and I noticed Harry was fidgeting every second I looked over at him. We were sitting next to the icy window, which I heavily argued against, and Hermione was checking our homework, a.k.a. looking at it and then telling us the answers. I didn't exactly approve of it, but that's the way Hermione worked. She didn't consider it cheating, which was hard to believe. I continued to see Harry staring intently at the red carpeted floor, picking at his finger nails.
"Harry, what's wrong?" I finally asked.
"It's just, I don't know if I should go get my book back from Snape." He answered, looking up at me.
"Ya, you should. I mean, he's no one to be afraid of right?" I tried to reassure him, a little happy that I was finally braver than Harry for once, "I'll go with you if you want." I set down my Charms book.
"Ok, you can come. Ron, Hermione, Emily and I are going to go get my book back from Snape." He told them and they looked over at him.
"Better you than me." They both said at the same time and continued with their work.
I giggled at their synchronized statement.
"Let's go, Harry." I said, walking towards the painting exit.
As soon as we got into the corridor Harry explained that we weren't going to Snape's classroom, "We're just going to go to the teacher's lounge. He won't want to do anything with witnesses."
"I'm not sure, Snape seems like he'd be willing to do anything that causes us agony, no matter the consequences." I joked and we continued down the corridor. A few seconds of silence went by and I spoke, "So, how do you feel about the game tomorrow, Harry?"
"I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous as hell for it." Harry pushed his black, crazy hair out of his eyes.
"You shouldn't be, you'll do absolutely fine!" I patted his back as we walked down a flight of stairs.
"Ya, right. All those third years and fifth years are so much bigger than me. What if I get a bludger to the head?" He worried, the silver moonlight glinting off his glasses.
"The Weaselys'll keep you safe. You're too fast, Harry, none of them will be able to lay a finger on you." I smiled at him.
"I guess you're right, but I can't help, but be nervous. Do you know what I'm talking about?" He asked me, pleading for me to understand.
"I kind of do, I guess. But it's still best if you try to relax. It'll be over soon enough." I tried to give him an answer as truthful as I could.
"Ya," he simply answered and continued walking.
I took this time look at Harry. I mean really look at him. His features were soft, but would probably sharpen with age. Wrinkles crowded his forehead in worry, his eye brows being pushed subconsciously together. His black hair seemed a little messier than usual and his emerald eyes were anxious. How could I help my friend feel better? At that time, I didn't know.
We finally arrived at the staffroom door and Harry knocked on it with his fist. Silenced answered us. I then reached out my arm and knocked again. Still nothing.
"Maybe he just left it in there..." Harry quietly whispered and creaked open the door.
The scene that laid ahead of us couldn't have been any worse. I spotted Snape and Filch in the room, alone. Snape was clutching the cloth of his robe, holding it up high enough to reveal a wound that was bloody and shredded skin hanging off of it. I stifled a gag. Filch was holding out some white bandages to him.
"Blasted thing," Snape cursed, "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?"
Three heads? The three-headed dog in the third floor corridor? What was Snape doing there? Harry tried to slowly and quietly shut the door so we could leave, but Snape noticed.
"POTTER! BLARSH!" I heard Snape shout, his tone furious as he dropped his robes and glared harshly at us.
"I just wondered if I could have my book back." Harry meekly explained, but Snape acted like he didn't hear him.
"GET OUT! OUT!" He continued to yell and we jumped from the door, sprinting the way we came.
We huffed the password to the lady and hurried inside the common room. As we approached Hermione and Ron, they looked at us as we breathed hard.
"Did you get it?" Ron asked, "What's the matter?"
"No," Harry said as he nodded his head and then bent low to signal he was going to whisper to them. Ron and Hermione leaned in.
"Snape was in there alone with Filch. Do you remember seeing him limp over to us when he took my book? Well, he has a huge gash there and Filch was bandaging it. Snape seemed really angry when he saw us, angrier than I've ever seen him! You know what this means?" Harry finished.
"Snape tried to get pass the three-headed dog at Halloween when we went to rescue Hermione!" I explained.
"I bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!" Harry added.
I looked over at Ron and Hermione to see her eyes were wide with surprise.
"No-he wouldn't." She protested, "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."
"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," Ron said exasperated, "I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?"
The conversation ended there when Harry said that he needed sleep for tomorrow's game, which I doubted he would get any. I told Hermione and Ron would see them later and I walked over to my velvet red chair in front of the fire. Like many times before, I stared into the golden flames, and they danced in front of my eyes. What was the dog hiding?
Wood came over to my side, "What you thinking about?" He asked.
And for the first time I lied to him, "Nothing." and went up to bed.
"GET OUT! OUT!" I heard Snape scream, his face more distorted than normal. He was charging right for me and his leg was gushing black blood, his wound even more gruesome.
"GET OUT BLACK! GET OUT!"
"What are you hiding?" I asked him, stepping back, to only find the door was gone.
"I'm not the one hiding!" He growled and lunged at me.
I woke up, startled, another nightmare. I was breathing hard and my heart was beating so fast that it seemed like it was trying to fight its way out of my chest.
“I’m not the one hiding!” Snape’s voice rung through my ears.
I looked out the window and the unusually bright light blinded me. I looked over to see Hermione's bed was already perfectly made and a note was on our shared nightstand.
Emily,
Sorry that I didn't stick around to wake you up. I had to go to the early library for a Transfiguration book. Hope you wake up on time. See you at breakfast.
-Hermione
I looked at the letter and felt relieved. She didn't ditch me. As I pulled off the covers, my skin immediately prickled with goose bumps from the cold. I should really get warmer pajamas. I got ready quickly and headed to the Great Hall.
I could smell fresh cooked eggs and fried sausages as soon as I walked through the doors. I looked over at our table to see Ron, Harry, and Hermione already at our usual spot. I smiled at them and strode over. As I got closer I could see a frown on everyone's faces. I sat next to Harry.
"You've got to eat some breakfast." I heard Hermione worriedly nag.
"I don't want anything." Harry mumbled form his crossed arms.
I was immediately astonished. Harry was hungry? "Come on, Harry. Just some toast or something." I added, to help Hermione.
"I'm not hungry." He said, more firmly and sighed.
"Harry, you need your strength," Seamus said from across the table, smiling, "Seekers are always the ones who get clobbered by the other team."
I immediately glared at the boy.
"Thanks Seamus," Harry miserably said.
"Don't listen to him Harry, you'll be fine." I tried to assure him, still glaring at Seamus. Seamus just gave me a 'whatever' shrug and squirted ketchup on his sausages.
"Sure." Harry continued to talk in the same tone and I suddenly felt helpless. I couldn't do a thing to help my friend, until I got an idea.
As Harry followed the rest of the team to get uniforms on in the team locker room, Hermione, Ron, and I walked up the steps to join Seamus, Neville, and Dean. I smiled, holding the sign we made for Harry in my hands. Once we reached the top row we joined them.
"You got the banner, Emily?" Neville asked, his breath misting in the cold.
"Ya, Neville. It's right here." I held up the bed sheet Scabbers ruined and we painted on with my gloved hands.
As we waited for the game to start, it getting colder by the moment, but I hardly noticed, we got the sign ready for Harry. It said 'Potter For President' in huge block letters and Dean drew a huge lion underneath the words. It looked almost alive. Ron and I painted it and Hermione casted a charm onto it, making the colors flash different colors. I had a silly grin on my face, knowing that Harry would love it.
Suddenly, both teams walked out onto the field in scarlet and emerald green. We raised the sign up, screaming.
"Go Potter!" I yelled with everyone and laughed.
"Now, I want a nice fair game, all of you." I could hear Madam Hooch from where we were sitting. She stood in the middle of the circle the two teams made around her, "Mount your brooms, please."
I saw Harry slide onto his Nimbus Two Thousand.
A shrill whistle echoed through the air as Madam blew on it and everyone abruptly went into action. I watched intently, excited for the game.
Lee Jordan's voice filled the stadium, "And the Quaffle is taken immediately by Angelina Johnson of Gryffindor- what an excellent Chaser that girl is, and rather attractive too-"
"JORDAN!" Professor McGonagall's strict voice rang through the air and I giggled.
"Sorry Professor."
I didn't know Jordan very well, only that he was the boy with the spider on the train and was good friends with the Weasely twins. Obviously, he got the job of being the commentator with Professor McGonagall’s supervision.
"And she's really belting along up there, a neat pass to Alicia Spinner, a good friend of Oliver Wood's, last year only a reserve- back to Johnson and- no," I gasped as I saw a Slytherin player snatch the ball from Angelina, "the Slytherins have taken the Quaffle, Slytherin Captain Marcus Flint gains the Quaffle and off he goes- Flint flying like an eagle up there-he's going to sc-" I held my breath as Flint raised his arm and threw the ball toward one of the hoops, "no, stopped by an excellent move by Gryffindor Keeper Wood and the Gryffindors take the Quaffle-" I breathed a sigh of relief and had pride surge through me when Wood blocked it. At it, boy! "That’s Chaser Katie Bell of the Gryffindor there, nice dive around Flint, off up the field and- OUCH!" I cringed as I saw a lightning fast bludger smack right into the girl's skull, "that must have hurt, hit in the back of the head by a Bludger- Quaffle taken by the Slytherins- that's Audrian Pucey speeding off towards the goal posts, but he's blocked by a second Bludger- sent his way by Fred or George Weasely, can't tell which-" I laughed and continued to cheer with the banner over my head, "nice play by the Gryffindor Beater, anyway, and Johnson back in possession with the Quaffle, a clear field ahead and off she goes-she's really flying- dodges a speeding Bludger- the goal posts are ahead- come on, now Angelina- Keeper Bletchley dives- misses- GRYFFINDORS SCORE!"
Cheering erupted from the Gryffindors and boo's came from the Slytherins. I jumped up and screamed, "HA! TAKE THAT SLYTHERIN!"
"Budge up there, move along." A familiar voice said from behind me.
"Hagrid!" I yelled and Ron, Hermione, and I squeezed to give Hagrid a spot.
"Bin watchin' from me hut," Hagrid explained, patting his binoculars that hung around his think neck, "But it isn't the same as bein' in the crowd. No sign of the Snitch yet, eh?" He asked as he sat down.
"Nope," Ron said, "Harry Hasn't had much to do yet."
“Kept outta trouble, though, that’s' somethin'," Hagrid retorted and peered through his binoculars. I looked out at Harry's flying form. He was swooping around the game and, I guessed, was looking for the snitch. Wood told me the plan he had for Harry. Harry was to stay in the background until he spotted the Snitch, in order to keep Harry from getting hurt. I watched as he flipped in the air as everyone continued to cheer for the Gryffindor score.
I squeaked when I saw a Bludger heading for Harry, "Harry!”, but I had nothing to fear because Harry dropped under it and one of the Weasely twins came over and hit the Bludger towards the Slytherin Captain.
"Slytherin in possession!" Lee continued to commentate, "Chaser Pucey ducks two Bludgers, two Weaselys, and Chaser Bell, and speeds towards the- wait a moment- was that the Snitch?"
I watched the Quaffle fall from the Chaser's hands and looked over at Harry. It seemed he caught sight of the golden ball and was rushing towards it. Although, the Slytherin Seeker, Terence Higgs, saw it too and caught up with Harry.
It seemed like the game paused for all the other players as they sat in mid air, staring at Harry. I was about jumping over the rail as I stared at Harry zooming on his broomstick. Harry was a little ahead of the other seeker and I was quietly chanting, "Go Harry. Come on, Harry." Tension filled the stadium as we all sat stock-still waiting for something to happen.
Suddenly, Flint stuck his broom in front of Harry and caused him to start spinning. Everyone immediately started screaming 'foul', but I was as mad as a pregnant soccer mom who saw a kid push her kid.
"YOU BLOODY GIT! FOUL! YOU CHEATER! YOU BLOOMING DIVVY! I'M GOING TO GO OVER THERE AND KNOCK YOUR BLOCK OFF, YOU PLONKER!" I screamed, pounding my fists on the railing, completely and utterly furious.
Hermione put and arm on my shoulder and I turned around to look at her to see she was trying so hard not to laugh.
I watched both teams fly close to the ground as Madam Hooch spoke angrily to Flint. It was then said that Gryffindor would get a free shot at a goal post. But, I could tell Flint wasn't worried. What he wanted was Harry to lose the Snitch. I sat angrily back down in my seat, like a spoiled toddler.
"Send him off, ref! Red card!" I heard Dean yell.
"What are you talking about, Dean?" Ron asked.
"Red card!" Dean said angrily, "In soccer you get shown the red card and you're out of the game!"
"But this isn't soccer, Dean." Ron told him.
"The oughta change the rules. Flint coulda knocked Harry outta the air." Hagrid grumbled.
When I heard Lee Jordan start commentating again, it was easy to see who he was personally rooting for.
"So- after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating-"
"Jordan!" Professor McGonagall snapped.
"I mean, after that open and revolting foul-"
"Jordan, I'm warning you-" I could hear her almost shout between her teeth.
"All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure, so a penalty to Gryffindor, taken by Spinner, who puts it away, no trouble, and we continue to play, Gryffindor still in possession."
From then on, I stopped watching the other players and stared at Harry. I couldn't miss a thing! That's when it happened. Harry dodge a Bludger that was heading for his head and his broom gave an abrupt lung. I saw Harry squeeze his broom handle with both hands, but he still swiveled.
"Harry's broom!" I yelled pointing to it.
His broom lurched again, as if it was an angry bull and continued. It started flying everywhere, which I didn't think was possible. A few times he was dangerously close to falling off and I stood, all muscles locked in attention, because if he fell, I was pretty sure I was going to jump the forty-foot high stands and try to catch him.
I could hear Lee in the distance, "Slytherin in possession- Flint with the Quaffle- passes to Spinnet- passes Bell- hit hard in the face by a Bludger, hope it broke his nose- only joking Professor- Slytherins score- oh no..."
I ignored the Slytherin's cheers and didn't even bother looking over at Draco. I just stared at Harry, watching as he slowly got higher. It didn't seem like anyone figured out was happening, but I could see it clearly.
"Dunno what Harry thinks he's doing," Hagrid mumbled form behind me, "If I didn't know better, I'd say he'd lost control of his broom...but he can't have..." He murmmured behind his large binoculars.
I then heard the whispers of everyone and fingers pointing up at Harry. His broom was spinning, as if doing a barrel roll like a plane and I was staring worried, wound up like a spring. That's when his broom gave one last jerk and he was suddenly dangling from one hand.
"Harry!" I shouted, but I knew it wouldn't do anything.
What was happening to his broom?
"Did something happen to it when Flint blocked him?" I heard Seamus ask.
"Can't have," Hagrid whispered, his voice frightened, "Can't nothing interfere with a broomstick except powerful Dark magic- no kid could do that to a Nimbus Two Thousand."
Suddenly, I realized, it had to be someone who knew the Dark Arts. Someone who hated Harry, it seemed to obvious now. I turned over to see Hermione was already scanning the crowd.
"It's Snape!" I told them and she nodded and continued to scan.
She suddenly stopped and whispered angrily, "I knew it- look." she passed the binoculars to Ron and he passed them to me.
I watched as Snape stared intently at Harry, mummbling words under his breath.
"He has to be jinxing it." I said as I gave the binoculars back to Hermione.
"What should we do?" Ron asked his face gray.
"Leave it to me." Hermione said simply and vanished into the stands.
I turned back to Harry and his broom continued to knock him off, even though he had one hand gripping onto it. The Weaselys circled around him, trying to reach him and sling Harry onto one of their broomsticks, but the Nimbus Two Thousand just rose higher and higher. Finally, the twins gave up and flew below him, probably there to catch him if he fell.
I could faintly hear the bells as Flint scored, but at that moment I couldn’t give a crap. My best friend was dangling from his broom and all Flint could do was score?
All I could say in my head was, "Come on, Hermione. Come on, he can't hang on much longer."
I finally risked a glance at Snape to see Hermione was rushing to him and she knocked into Professor Quirrel. Finally she crouched behind Snape and a sudden blue fire started to burn his cloak. Snape suddenly jumped up and the fire vanished. It must have been the same one that was in the jar yesterday.
I looked back to Harry to see his broom was fine and I collapsed back into my seat in relief. He was alive. Harry swung back onto his broom.
"Neville, you can look!" I heard Ron tell Neville, who I just realized was sobbing into Hagrid's coat.
I watched as Harry dived, faster and faster, until he was feet from the ground and he covered his mouth like he was going to puke. I jumped back up again as he fell to the ground on all fours. He coughed and then I could see a gold ball cradled in his hand.
"I've got the Snitch!" I heard him shout and I started to cheer.
The screaming continued, even twenty minutes later, while Flint continued to complain, "He didn't catch it, he nearly swallowed it."
Harry obviously didn't break any rules and I could hear Lee repeat the results over and over, "Gryffindor wins! One hundred seventy points to sixty!"
Although, I only heard this faintly because we were in Hagrid's hut, all being served strong, black tea.
"It was Snape,” Ron was telling Hagrid and Harry, "Hermione, Emily, and I saw him. He was cursing your broomstick, muttering, he wouldn't take his eyes off you."
"Rubbish," Hagrid said, shaking his head, who obviously didn't hear what was said between the three of us during the Quidditch match."
Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I all looked at each other, probably wondering the same thing. Should we tell him? Harry suddenly spoke up, choosing the truth.
"Emily and I found out something about him, “Harry glanced over to me, "He tried to get pass that three-headed dog on Halloween. It bit him. We think he was trying to steal whatever it's guarding." Harry finished explaining.
I watched as the tea pot that was once in Hagrid's hand fall to the floor, "How do you know about Fluffy?" He asked, obviously startled that we knew about him.
"Fluffy?" I asked, incredulous.
"Yeah- he's mine- bought him off a Greek chappie I met in the pub las' year- I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the-" Hagrid suddenly cut him off.
"Guard the..." I moved my hands to motion him to continue.
"Now, don't ask me anymore," Hagrid said, still startled, "Snape's a Hogwarts teacher, he'd do nothin' of the sort."
"So why did he just try to kill Harry?" Hermione asked, slightly sarcastic.
After the Quidditch game, it seemed she finally agreed with Ron, a rare event.
"I know a jinx when I see one, Hagrid, I've read all about them! You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn’t blinking at all, I saw him!"
"Snape also has always wanted the Defense the Dark Arts job! He knows all about those types of spells!" I added, for good measure.
"I'm tellin' yeh, yer wrong!" Hagrid finally shouted, "I don't know why Harry's broom acted like that, but Snape wouldn' try an' kill a student! Now, listen to me, all four of yeh- yer meddlin' in things that don' concern yeh. It's dangerous. You forget that dog, an' you forget what it's gaurdin', that's between Professor Dumbledore an' Nicola Flamel-"
Harry caught his slip up, "Aha! So there's someone called Nicolas Flamel involved, is there?"
Hagrid’s face suddenly turned red and I could tell he was absolutely livid with himself.