Little Black Sheep

Chapter Eight: Discovery

Chapter Eight: Discovery
That night with that godforsaken mirror is now just a memory in mind now, a foolish one. The day after I heard Harry go to the mirror, he returned to… almost normal. Although, now I could see he was quite a bit more sorrowful and he told us about his dreams, his dark dreams.
“It happens every night! I can’t make them stop, ever since I saw my dead family in that mirror…I’ve been having these nightmares.” Harry finally confessed after the millionth time Ron and I nagged on him about what was wrong.
“Nightmares?” I asked, a little confused, “What nightmares could you have about your family?”
“It was about that one night, the night they disappeared,” Harry whispered, saddened, “They would be standing there, smiling at me, and suddenly a green light would appear. After it was gone, they would vanish and someone would laugh.” Harry finished.
There was no doubt who laughed, but a green light? That was from a dream I had. Maybe…”Harry?” I started to ask, “Was anyone screaming? A woman?”
“No, why?” He questioned, puzzled.
“I’ve also been having these dreams…” I said, although I couldn’t finish and say they didn’t have anything to do with the mirror because Ron butted in.
“You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad,” Ron said, his tone holding resentment towards the mirror.
Instead of finishing my last sentence to the other two I just nodded towards Ron, “Ya, if can.”
I glanced at Harry to see he was staring at me, a confused look on his face. I bet mine didn’t look any different.
The rest of that Christmas break flew by without anymore adventures in the dark of the night and I could tell Harry kept his invisibility cloak hidden away.
Hermione came back to Hogwarts a day before our break ended.
“Hermione!” I screamed as I spotted her bushy hair and unusually large suitcase (for all of her books, of course) and hugged her shamelessly as other bystanders turned to see the commotion.
“Emily! It’s nice to see you too.” Her voice was muffled by my hair and arm.
I giggled happily at the return of one of my best friends. Problem was, we had to catch her up with what happened and she was not going to be happy. As we explained the incident with the mirror and how we tried to get into the Restricted Section, but we couldn’t find anything on Nicolas Flamel, she definitely had her opinions forming. She was horrified that Harry was out roaming the school for three nights in a row; with Ron and me accompanying him one of those nights (“If Filch caught you guys!”). But her horror was also blocked by the sinking disappointment we were no closer to finding out who Flamel was than we were before the break.
Finally, we eventually stopped searching the library, seeing as we almost checked out every book there, it was no use to continue on. I still continued to nag on Hermione and Ron how I saw the name before somewhere and Harry would back me up. Once school started up again, we would just skim through books for ten minutes in between classes, still feeling hopeless. With Harry’s Quidditch practices again, which I promised to always go to, Harry and I had even less time to search for Nicolas Flamel.
I watched their practices through the snow earlier in the season, but it soon became cold rain, but Wood insisted on having practices. Sometimes, I would tease him about being absolutely being obsessed. Harry, though, also agreed with Wood, if they won the next match, our points would exceed Slytherin’s. Which, everyone was hoping for this year.
I remember sitting in the stands during a really rainy and muddy practice when Wood finally blew a fuse because the Weasely’s were dive bombing each other. I could believe my ears as I heard him yell, thinking the rain must have been interfering with my hearing.
“Will you stop messing around!” He angrily shouted at the twins, “That’s exactly the sort of thing that’ll lose us the match! Snape’s referred this time, and he’ll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!”
Wait! What did Wood just say?! Snape refereeing?!
I watched as one of the Weasely twins slipped off their broom at the news, “Snape’s refereeing?” I saw his face was covered in mud, “When’s he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He’s not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin.”
I watched as everyone flew down to the Weasely twin’s level and the noise of their complaints reached my ears.
“It’s not my fault,” Wood said, holding his hands up, “We’ve just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn’t got an excuse to pick on us.”
I hurriedly ran out of the stands after practice and followed Harry up to the castle. All I had to do was give him one look and he knew I heard. We had to tell Hermione and Ron.
As we walked in the common I shivered at the warmth I felt and immediately spotted Ron and Hermione playing Wizard’s chest. Turns out, that was the one and only logical game Hermione lost at, which the guys also told me was good for her. I just thought it must be humiliating for her.
As we sat down next to two, Ron immediately shushed us, “Don’t talk to me for a moment. I need to concen-“ Ron cut himself off when he saw our ghostly pale faces, “What’s the matter with you guys? You both look terrible.”
We leaned in and spoke softly, not wanting others to hear. Harry did most of the talking, saying how Snape had this sudden urge to referee a Quidditch match.
“What is he going to do?” I asked, my eyes searching Hermione’s.
“Don’t play,” Hermione suddenly blurted and Ron followed.
“Say you’re ill,” Ron added.
“Pretend to break your leg,” Hermione suggested.
“Really break your leg,” Ron said and a small smile cracked onto my face.
“I can’t,” Harry’s voice was worried, “There isn’t a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can’t play at all.”
Thump!
All of our heads immediately swiveled around at the portrait door and my mouth hung open. Neville was on the floor, whimpering. How did he get through the door? I’m sure we were all asking ourselves that because Neville’s legs were stuck together, a sure sign of the Leg-Locker Curse. I had to stifle a laugh at the image of him hopping to the Gryffindor Tower. As the boys behind me exploded into laughter, I got up with Hermione as she casted the countercurse. I rushed over to Neville and helped him up as his legs were freed. I could feel his whole body was trembling.
“What happened?” Hermione asked, putting her wand away and I pulled Neville over to where the boys were sitting.
“Malfoy,” Neville’s voice was wavering and a surge of anger ran through me, “I met him outside the library. He said he’d been looking for someone to practice that on.”
“Go to Professor McGonagall!” Hermione put her hand on Neville’s shoulder, trying to encourage him, “Report him!”
Neville sadly shook his head, “I don’t want more trouble,” Neville muttered.
“You’ve got to stand up to him, Neville!” Ron told him, angry as well, “He’s used to walking all over people, but that’s no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier.”
“Neville! Malfoy’s hoping that you don’t report him! If you did, he’d get into a lot of trouble and lose points for his house.” I tried to convince him, but I could see his bottom lip shiver.
“There’s no need to tell me I’m not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy’s already done that,” Neville’s voice cracked and I was sure he was going to cry.
I put my hand on Neville’s back and tried to rub soothing circles, but it was when Harry took out his last chocolate frog and gave it to him that Neville’s breathing became less raggedy.
“You’re worth twelve of Malfoy,” Harry kindly said, “The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn’t it? And where’s Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin.”
I saw a slight smile make its way onto Neville’s face as he slowly opened the wrapping on the frog.
“Thanks, Harry… I think I’ll go to bed…D’you want the card, you collect them, don’t you?” And then Neville popped the Chocolate Frog into his mouth, heading up to the boys’ dormitory, leaving the card.
I heard Harry sigh as he picked up the card, “Dumbledore. He was the first one I ever-“ His facial expression then turned into excitement.
He looked up at us, beaming, “I’ve found him!” Harry whispered to us, “I’ve found Flamel! I told you I’d read his name somewhere before, I read it on the train coming here- listen to this; ‘Dumbldore is paticulary famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grinelwalkd in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon’s blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel’!”
I looked at Harry, incredulous and then realized something, “That’s what Percy told me on my first night here!”
Hermione had already jumped up, “Stay here!” and I glanced over at the confused looks on the boys faces.
She hurriedly returned with a rather large book clutched in her hands, “I never thought to look in here!” She whispered, “I got this out of the library weeks ago for a bit of light reading.”
I gaped at the size of the book and totally understood Ron when he said, “Light?”
“Shut up, Ron. I have to find it…” she mumbled, flicking through the pages.
At last, she reached her desired page, “I knew it! I knew it!”
“Are we allowed to speak yet?” Ron huffed, annoyed.
Hermione acted like he didn’t even speak, “Nicolas Flamel,” She whispered, barely containing her excitement, “is the only known maker of the Socerer’s Stone!”
“the what?” Harry, Ron, and I all asked at the same time and Hermione got an impatient look on her face.
“Oh, honestly, don’t you three read? Look- read that, there” She pointed to a spot on the page and pushed to book over to us. I started to read:
The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Socerer’s Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.
There have been many reports of the Sorcerer’s Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quite life in Devon with his wife, Pernelle (six hundred and fifty eight.)
The Sorcerer’s Stone!
“See?” Hermione said eager as we finished reading,” The dog must be guarding Flamel’s Socerer’s Stone! I bet he asked Dumbledore to keep it safe for him, because they’re friends and he knew someone was after it, that’s why he wanted the Stone moved out of Gringotts!”
“A stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying!” Harry exclaimed, putting the pieces together, “No wonder Snape after it! Anyone would want it.”
“And no wonder we wouldn’t find Flamel in that Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry, “Ron mused, laughing, “He’s not exactly recent if he’s six hundred and sixty-five, is he?”
So, now we knew why Snape wanted it. The bigger question though was, why would Flamel move it from Gringotts, the one of the most max security places in the Wizardry world?
We often joked around about what we would do if owned the Socerer’s Stone. I said I would by my Mom and myself a mansion and a search team for my dad (a lie.), but a worried look came across Harry’s face when Ron said he would buy a Quidditch team. Quidditch.
Later on Harry told Ron, Hermione, and I, “I’m going to play. If I don’t, all the Slytherins will think I’m just too scared to face Snape. I’ll show them… it’ll really wipe the smiles of their faces if we win.”
As Harry smiled at the thought, I stared at him solemnly.
“Just as long as we’re not wiping you off the field,” Hermione commented, reading my thoughts exactly.
Finally, the day of the match finally came and Ron, Hermione, and I were standing outside Harry’s locker room, wishing him good luck. My face was probably ghostly pale and I had tears in my eyes when I suddenly hugged Harry. He staggered back in surprise.
“Promise me you won’t get killed out there.” I whispered and pulled away.
“I promise.” He whispered back and I followed Ron and Hermione into the stands.
I looked over at Ron’s and Hermione’s faces, to see they were pale white, like mine, and serious. My hand subconsciously brushed against my wand.
“Emily! Ron! Hermione!” I heard Neville excitedly call and we climbed up the stairs and sat next to Neville.
“Hi Neville.” I timidly greeted and looked at us funny.
“You guys ok?” He asked, worried.
“Just fine.” I simply answered, my eyes glued to the Quidditch pitch.
Under Harry’s nose, Hermione had the idea that we should practice the Leg-Locker Curse. We would mutter the curse late at night in the common room, when I usually had my midnight visits, and tried it on eachother. We only got it perfected last night, and I started to worry.
“Now, don’t forget, it’s Locomotor Mortis.” She whispered to us and Ron slipped his wand up his sleeve.
“I know,” Ron growled, “Don’t nag.”
I casted Hermione a grateful look and my fingers started tracing my wand, which was in my pocket. It was eager to pull out the wand and curseSnape on the spot if he tried anything to Harry.
I fidgeted in my seat, getting restless, “How much longer until it starts?” I asked.
“Just a few more minutes,” Neville answered, “are you sure you’re ok, Emily?”
“I’m alright, Neville, just a little anxious for Harry.” I said, trying to not give everything away.
“Oh, I see. Don’t’ worry about last time, Emily. He’ll do just fine.” He tried to reassure me, but I stayed as stiff as a stone.
What if he didn’t do just fine? What if he fell of his broomstick eighty feet in the air and plummeted to his death? What would I do if he did?
I glared at Snape’s shadowed form and I saw him glance into the stands in my direction. I held his stare until the teams marched onto the field. He instead glared at them and I heard Hermione gasp.
“I’ve never seen Snape look so mean.” Ron commented, “Look- they’re off! Ouch!”
I turned around to see Draco poked Ron in the head.
“Oh, sorry, Weasely, didn’t see you there.” Draco sounded anything but sorry with a sly smile on his face.
We ignored him as he sat behind us, snickering with Crabbe and Goyle.
“Wonder how long Potter’s going to stay on his broom this time? Anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasely?” Draco asked, but Hermione, Ron, and I continued to look ahead, not wanting to miss anything in the game.
Snape awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because one of the Weasely twins shot a bludger at Snape’s head. The twin looked anything but worried about it.
I followed Harry’s flying form as he circled around the pitch, keeping an eye out for the Snitch.
“You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?” Draco loudly said airily, a smile on his face as he saw Snape award Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason, “It’s people they feel sorry for. See, there’s Potter, who’s got no parents, then there’s the Weasely’sm who’ve got no money- you should be on the team, Longbottom, you’ve got no brains.”
I tried to ignore Draco’s taunting as I saw Neville turn red. I had to concentrate on Harry and make sure he wouldn’t be in any trouble.
“I’m worth twelve of you, Malfoy,” Neville stuttered beside me and I felt a surge of pride. Go on, Neville, show him.
Draco’s high pitched laugh rang through the air with his goon’s and that’s when Ron said, “You tell him, Neville.”
“Longbottom, if brains were gold, you’d be poorer than Weasely, and that’s saying something.” Draco mocked, snickering.
I could feel Ron’s nerves breaking one at a time and his temper rising, “I’m warning you Malfoy- one more word-“
“Ron!” Hermione yelled, “Harry!-“
“What? Where?” Ron asked, hurriedly watching.
I watched Harry go into a steep, high, dive. Everyone was cheering from the stands and Hermione and I stood up. I anxiously watched Harry fall, worry pushing through my veins.
“You’re in luck, Weasely, Potter’s obviously spotted some money on the ground!” Malfoy taunted with his lame jokes.
Suddenly, Ron wasn’t behind me anymore and I could hear scrapping behind me. Malfoy had broken Ron’s last nerve.
I blocked out the fight and screamed with Hermione, “Come on, Harry! Woooo! Harry!”
I watched as Harry reached his arm out, so dangerously close to Snape. Snape turned his broom around in time to see Harry speed pass and I cheered louder. Harry held up the golden Snitch in his hands, beaming. Everyone suddenly broke out into cheers, the noise deafening any other sound.
“Ron!” I yelled, happy as could be, “We won! Harry caught the Snitch! Gryffindor is in the lead!”
I jumped, doing a dance type thing and squeezed Hermione into a death trap hug. Ron pulled apart from Draco and started cheering with us. Draco just sneered and swooped away with his ghouls. Neville was on the ground unconscious.
I ran off the stands, pushing people out of the way. I had to get to Harry, he was alive, he won! I jumped over one of the gates and landed on my feet, sprinting. I caught Harry’s eye as Dumbledore walked over to him, a twinkle in his eye. Then he whisper something so quietly, that no one could hear, but Harry. A smile spread across Harry’s face and I rushed over to him, tackling him a hug.
“You’re alive, you’re alive, you’re alive!”I loudly whispered into his ear, so close to tears because of my relief.
“Yes, I am, Emily! But you’re sort of crushing me!” Harry barely said and I hurriedly got off of him and he laughed.
“Oh, I’m sorry, Harry!” I gasped, blush coloring my cheeks.
I looked over to see Snape with a sour look on his face and he acidly spat at the ground.
Later on, after Harry was carried out like royalty to the lockeroom, Hermione announced she was taking Ron to the Hospital Wing and I could see why as I started at his nose gushing blood.
“I’ll stay here, keep an eye on Harry, ok?” I said, and watched as Hermione nodded, walking with Ron towards the castle. They did seem to care for each other, despite their bickering.
I leaned against the lockeroom’s wall, still outside. I stared up at the multi colored sky. The sun was a bright red with fluorescent oranges and burning golds. I sighed at the scene, the castle just a black silhouette. Harry won the game, he didn’t die, and Snape got what was coming to him. I looked over at the Forbidden Forest to see a flicker of movement. My wrist started to burn and I clutched onto it. And just like that, the movement vanished and so did the pain in my wrist. What was that?...
Suddenly, there was a hand on my shoulder and I screamed. I span around, clutching my heart and saw Harry Potter’s laughing face.
“Relax, Emily. It’s just me.” He said between laughs.
I blushed a burning scarlet, “Oh, Hi Harry.”
“Can you believe what happened today?” Harry asked, happily carrying his Nimbus Two Thousand, “I’m having a hard time believing it actually happened.”
“I know,” I replied, smiling now, “You just bloody dove from a million feet in the air and not to mention, pushed it in Snape’s face when you flew by him!”
Suddenly, Harry’s face went solemn as he glanced over at the Forbidden Forest.
“Harry, what is-“ I started to ask when Harry raised a finger to his lips and pointed behind me.
A cloaked person hastily went down Hogwarts front steps and hurriedly strode to the Forbidden Forest. My instinct suddenly said, ‘It’s Snape.’ And I watched anxiously as it disappeared into the black trees. Harry jumped on his broom and motioned for me to do the same. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as we flew higher and higher. I clutched tightly onto Harry’s waist and repeated to myself Don’t look down, Don’t look down. We hovered close to the castle and I quickly casted a glance at Snape’s retreating form. Suddenly, the trees grew too thick to see and Harry flew even lower, I squeaked a little and gripped harder, terrified.
Harry finally landed on a rather huge beech tree and we climbed onto the branches. I tried to see through the branches and quickly spotted Snape with another person. A person with a purple turban, Professor Quirrel.
Their voices barely reached my ears:
“… d-don’t know why you wanted t-t-to meet here of all p-places Severus…” Quirrell stuttered.
“Oh, I thought we’d keep this private,” Snape said, his voice sounded a little intimidating, “Students aren’t suppose to know about the Sorcerer’s Stone , after all.”
I strained my ears as Quirrel mumbled something, when Snape spoke, “Have you found out how to get past that beast of Hagrid’s yet?”
“B-b-but Severus, I-“
“You perfectly well know what I mean.” Snape sneered.
Suddenly, an owl called throughout the air and I flinch as did Harry, and I slipped almost falling off the branch and only heard Snape say, “- your little bit of hocus pocus. I’m waiting.”
“B-but I d-d-don’t-“ Quirrel was stuttering, terribly frightened.
“Very well,” Snape’s voice was as cold as ice, “We’ll have another little chat soon, when you’ve had time to think things over and decided where your loyalties lie.”
Quirrel just stood there trembling, fully freaked out. I glanced at Harry and he looked back, knowing we both knew the importance of what we’ve just seen. We jumped back on his broom stick and flew hurriedly back to the castle to tell Hermione and Ron.
As we entered through the Great Hall’s doors and walked over to our table Ron and Hermione saw us.
“Harry, Emily, where have you been?” Hermione asked, her voice squeaking with worry.
“We won! You won! We won!” Ron shouted, completely eccentric and patted Harry’s shoulder, “And I gave Mafloy a black eye, and Neville tried to take Crabbe and Goyle single-handed! He’s still out cold but Madam Pomfrey says he’ll be all right- talk about showing Slytherin! Everyone’s waiting for you in the common room, we’re having a party. Fred and George stole some cake and stuff form the kitchens.”
“Never mind that now!” Harry hurriedly breathed, “Let’s find an empty room, wait ‘til you hear this…”
We scoured the halls, looking for a vacant classroom and shut the doors after looking for Peeves.
I started on the tale about Harry and I seeing Snape in the forest with Quirrel.
“Hermione, you were right, it was Sorcerer’s Stone! Snape’s been pestering Quirrel about how to get in! Snape asked Quirrel how to get pass Fluffy and everything! He said something about Quirrel’ ‘hocus pocus’, which probably means there’s more spells protecting the stone! Quirrel probably put some anti- Dark spell and Snape needs it to get through and take the stone!” I finished.
“So you mean the Stone’s only safe as long as Quirrel stands up to snape?” Hermione asked, worried.
“It’ll be gone by next Tursday.” Ron said, leaving the whole room hopeless and anxious.