Status: .....................................................................................................................................................................................

Just Breathe

Camp Day 1

I barely feel my phone vibrate on my bed, but it was just enough to wake me up from my sleep. I roll over and I slide open my phone.

Katie: Dude, sorry we can’t find Abigail so I might be a few late to camp.
See Abigail is the kitten they just got, so she probably is just too hard to find because of her tiny body. I quickly text her back saying it’s fine. That’s when I realize the word camp. Shit! I forgot.

I hop right out of bed and grab whatever was in my dresser and head to the bathroom. That’s one thing I like about only having one sibling, a bathroom all to myself. Wow, of course today is the day I see Connor and my hair is in a horrible state that will take awhile to fix.

I brush my teeth, and then look at what I grabbed to wear. A gray Roxy t-shirt with my black shorts should work fine. Once, I wash my hair, blow dry it, and brush it through, I look at the clock 8:20. Meaning I have fifteen minutes to shove food in my mouth, get shoes on, and find a matching bag. Its weird me and Katie always change our purses everyday to match our outfits. I run in the kitchen snatching my converse on the way. I looked around for something fast to eat, a muffin, and fine by me. Next, on the list is a purse. I head to the front closest and look in the bin. A lavender colored hobo bag catches my eye first, so I dump the contents of one purse into another. And yet I still wonder why I can’t find anything.

I look at my phone to see how much time I have, three minutes. I shove the muffin in my mouth to hold it while I throw on my converse, then out the door I go. I eat the muffin on the way to library, check my makeup one more time, and straighten the wrinkles in my top. Turns out I didn’t need to do that because no one was here yet, but that’s what I like about going early. It gives me time to prepare myself for chaos and think. There isn’t too much time a person gets to sit quietly and just think alone. Soon enough I hear someone trip, I don’t even have to look to know its Katie.

“Hey!” She says all ecstatic, I’m guessing because she’ll see Shaun.

“Hey! Looks like we are the only consolers here now.”

“Tsk Tsk, the hotties should be here by now.”

“Eww, Katie did you call Greg a hottie?”

“Funny, Lacey. You know what I meant.”

‘Did I just hear my name?” Greg says, who obviously just got out of his car.
I reply, “Yes, Greg, Katie is madly in love with you.”

His face freezes, then as serious as possible says, “I’m gay.” I almost believed him until you saw the smile starting to crack on his face. “Just kidding, all the babes love me.”

“Umm, Greg about that. Look Connor’s here!” Katie says saying the last part more to me. I look over at the parking lot. He pulls up in his black Nissan, but then backs up in to another spot. I expected for him to come out, but he just sat there. Next to show is Shaun and once Shaun comes, Connor gets out of the car. Like he couldn’t stand here with just Katie, Greg, and me? Finally, kids show up, but only about twenty, which thank the lord because I don’t know if I could handle having any more. Psh, besides it’s totally not like I’m here for them, I’m here for Connor. Patty last year always showed up late because her husband has to drive her to work every day, and not surprising anyone she was ten minutes past nine, tsk tsk tsk. That’s ten minutes late, Patty.

I know most of the kids from last year, but some of them are new. It’s weird just going up to the kids saying, “What’s your name, mine’s Lacey.” And then bam end of conversation there. When, all the kids go in the room to put there snacks away, I go in and set up beads for the kids to do, Patty’s lovely orders.

The boys head out side to set up a kickball game, while Katie and I are practically slaves for these kids having to find a thousand of the same color beads for them. For some reason none of these kids look normal to me. They are so weird, but then again they probably think I’m weird, oh well. An hour of beads is enough for me, so when ten o’clock strolls around meaning snack time, Katie and I take the opportunity to head outside, while Greg and Shaun head in. The humidity greets my hair sadly, but we still make our way to the warzone, the swings. There are only four swings, and of course every kid wants a swing. Once they get on the swing, they want you to push them, and then they love you. Then, when the kids throw a fit because they want a swing, you have to physically remove the kids from the swing. Then they hate you. And then it all repeats.

“Come on consolers clean this mess up out here” Ugh, Patty barking her orders. I head over to clean up, while Katie stays pushing the kids on the swings. They are like three things to clean up, Patty chill! I bend over to pick up the jump rope, but someone’s hands greet mine, Connor’s. I look up, which of course he is looking right back with our faces only mere inches apart. I back up to let him grab it, but he does the same. So, of course I go to grab it, but only to let our hands brush again.

“I’ll get it, Lacey.” He says chuckling a little at the awkwardness. He actually knows my name!

“Umm..yea..okay..I got to go.” I awkwardly rushed away to the closet to put the football away. I wasn’t so lucky, Connor was right behind me. “I got this one.” I said to him with my hand offering to put the stuff away in the closet. He mumbled thanks and walked away. I walked back outside to Katie, for a few minutes and told her about Connor and my moment. Soon enough the moms came and picked up their kids, so we headed back into the room to start the clean up. There were tons of beads all over the floor so we had to get down on the ground and pick up as many as we could and dumped them back in the bucket. I handed my pile to Katie to put away in the closet.

Katie’s P.O.V.

I grabbed the bucket full of the beads and headed to the closet to put them away. Of course there was really no room on the shelves because of the fact that we all just sort of put things wherever there is space, so I was stuck putting the bucket on the top shelf. And quite frankly I am not the tallest cookie in the bunch. As I reached on my tippy toes to slide the container onto the shelf, the beads tipped over falling all over the floor in one rainfall of tiny colorful beads. I sighed and got down to begin picking up the beads, when I noticed another hand picking up the rainbow of dots.

“Clumsy me.” I said with a small laugh, as I looked up to see Shaun smiling back at me. As we picked up all the beads, rather quickly I may add and got up to put our last handfuls of beads in the bucket our heads knocked each others’. As I sat on my butt, rubbing my head, laughing at our little moment there, Shaun easily slipped the beads onto the top shelf and put out his hand. I grabbed it, getting up.

“Sorry, clumsy me again.” I said with a smile.
He let out a little laugh. “That was my fault.”

“Shaun!” Patty yelled. There she goes. Ruining a perfect moment.

Lacey’s P.O.V.

I heard laughter from the closest, then a red faced Katie coming out. Haha, she came out of the closet, wow I’m lame. I look around the room, which is looking pretty clean, except for this one piece of paper on the floor. I see Greg leaning down for it, but I also see Patty backing up to avoid walking into Connor, which caused an ass to the face of poor Greg. Laughter comes out of everyone’s mouth except Greg, poor kid.

“Well, it’s looking good. Time to lock up.” Ugh, I hate Patty’s annoying voice. I let Connor head out before me so it won’t cause any more awkward moments.

“See you guys tomorrow!” Katie and I say in sync, skills.

“Now it’s time to gossip!” Katie says with a smirk on her face. I know two things for sure. We obviously have things to discuss and I can’t wait for nine o’clock tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sucks I know. Comment. Subscribe. I'll update again really soon!
Lacey's OutfitKatie's Outfit