Status: Slowly active

Jack Be Quick

“You have four messages. Message one, received at oh-one-twenty-four p.m., January twenty-third.

Hey, Johnnie! It’s your favorite sister, Chelsea! Just calling to ask if you’ll be coming home any time soon. Mamma’s been cooking a feast every night; too much for just me and her! She hopes you’ll just show up with a girlfriend and a child. I still haven’t told her I have your number” a sigh “… Anyway, love you lots, bye!
Beep, beep, beep.

Message two, received at oh-three a.m., January twenty-fifth.
Evening, Johnnie. I’m sure you know who it is. You have an assignment, come into the restaurant at nine a.m. sharp for the details. Learn how to pick up the receiver.
Beep, beep, beep.

Message three, received at twelve-oh-one a.m., January twenty-seventh.
I’ve got your sister here, Johnnie. You weren’t a kidder; she’s drop dead gor-geous! Just like my wife, eh, Johnnie? Oh, I know. How I know… Anyway, me and your sister, we’re gonna have a party, ain’t that right, sweet cheeks?” A muffled groan “Yes, ahah! We was wondering if you wanted to come and have a little dance, yeah? We’ll be going till two, but then I’ve gotta take this babe home, y’know; she is gorgeous, like you always said. Damn. I’ll decide what to do with her then. Bye, Johnnie… And, haven’t I told you; pick up the receiver?
Beep, beep, beep.

Message four, received at oh-one-thirty-three a.m., January twenty-seventh.
Oh dear, Johnnie. Johnnie, Johnnie, Johnnie. It would seem an accident happened! Me and Chelsea were having a little go at it, yeah, and one thing lead to another… she seemed to be playing with me, saying ‘NO!’ when she meant ‘Yes’… anyway, somehow a knife lodged in her chest! Right near the thumper, you know? Dear me. So much blood. But, you know how parties go… Sorry, we’re packing up now. Too bad you couldn’t have joined us. Really, justtoo bad. But that’s life. You’ve got an assignment tomorrow; see you at nine, sharp. Goodnight, Mister Suede.
Beep, beep, beep.
Last of your messages. Press one to replay them, two to delete them…” Click.

This is just a game.
He’s fooling with me, I know it.
I’ll win, see? Look, what is in my hands?
A king.
Checkmate.