The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 14

The antidote worked better than I had hoped. As I waited for the Elder’s return I floated about in Vincent’s mind. Not that he particularly cared. As I was there I kept the Penalty from working and was constantly soothing his mind, all the while watching the fog that surrounded us like a hawk. For the first few hours I was apprehensive, not sure whether or not this antidote I had spent years making would work but as the fifth hour dawned I saw something change. The fog shifted suddenly and backed away then stopped. Although it was a single movement it was more than enough to make me squirm in joy, not realising that I seemed far happier about this than Blackburn.

He just stayed still as I watched and worked, letting me cradle him gently to me and hum in his mind softly to give him a place of solace. I could feel his mind become relieved however as the fog backed away, giving him some mental strength back as he no longer needed to constantly battle for his sanity against the poison.

Soon the poison was fading, leaving only wisps behind and allowing me to chase the last strands away, freeing Vincent completely from the curse. However as I chased the poison away gleefully I found something wrong that wrenched at my heart.

In his mind I found a scar, a deep writhing black scar that squirmed away like hundreds of worms. I stared at it with sorrow when I realised what it was. I was able to give him back his sanity and rid him of the poison but I could not get rid of the demon. A parasite was now lurking in his mind, waiting for an opportune moment to act. I was too late. I had failed.

I wept for him. Vincent did not deserve this. I knew that he would lose his mind when he felt rage or was hurt badly. Vincent was now a parasite, a demon all vampires loathed and killed.

At first Vincent just watched me, sensing my sorrow and tears, before he gathered me silently, trying to batter away my sadness. He sent me thoughts and emotions, trying to convince me this did not bother him. He was glad he now had the majority of his sanity back and he could use the parasite to his advantage in battle as long as he was alone. I was not to cry for him and that was final.

I had to force myself to stop crying and focus on his solid calm, taking strength from that. If he felt that it didn’t matter too much and that he was glad I did what I could then I had no choice but to try and accept what I found. It was hard trying that though.

I only lingered in his mind a little longer, trying to comfort myself with his presence more than help him before I left him to the mercy of the Penalty. When I opened my eyes I found Viorel looking down at me with worry. Dana was beside him, mimicking his expression.

“Eva, what’s wrong?” He asked gently as he kneeled beside me and took one of my shaking hands in his.

I realised then tears were still leaking out of my eyes. It appeared I was in one of the chairs in my elegant room. Viorel had obviously taken me away from the cold underground chamber once I was connected with Vincent. With my free hand I wiped away fervently at the tears and tried to compose myself.

“Are the Elder’s back yet?” I asked thickly.

Dana nodded sharply. “Christof returned when he heard news of your arrival. Huan and Beriko are still at the site with Augusta.” She informed me gently.

“Okay, I shall go to him then.” I said and pushed myself onto my feet.

Dana and Viorel stayed close behind me and I didn’t need to look at them to know they were throwing each other worried glances. I wandered down to the courtroom, knowing that was where I would find Christof after skimming the minds and essences of the house.

The guard of court nearly stopped Viorel and Dana from following me until I turned my eyes on him, silently demanding that they followed. He backed away abruptly once he realised who he was facing and allowed all three of us entry. As soon as I entered, Christof stopped his rapid pacing and raised his head to welcome me gravely and was speaking before I even had a chance to sit down.

“You are right, Lady.” He said sharply, trying to keep himself still but failed and began pacing once again. “Humans are trying to create a parasite inducing poison. The evidence is everywhere. The missing Blue blood children; explosions of parasites in cities; Blackburn.” He turned sharply on me. “Why didn’t we see the threat?” He demanded more of himself than me.

“Because humans have not been a threat to us for a long time and what humans know about us we either kill or keep beside us. It is not often we trip up but we obviously did once at least to bring around this threat.” I answered wearily. “It does not help that there is a Family out there that has betrayed the Old Ones.”

“Well we can at least search for them. Ask around the Families and see if one of them has either gone missing or acting strangely.” He muttered darkly.

“Augusta will help you with that. She is very good at her job and she will be able to find what the Families wish to keep hidden from our knowledge.” I said. “In the meant time sit tight and keep the Heads alert. If any Blue blood child goes missing, alert me. The enemy would most likely have resurfaced when that happens.”

Christof nodded glumly and sighed, turning his attention on me completely for the first time I had entered the room. He calmed slowly, letting his explosion of anger fade when he saw my tired and red eyes face.

“I am sorry Lady, I did not ask why you wanted to see the Elder’s.” He said apologetically.

I smiled weakly. “It is okay Christof. The threat is something you will need to discuss with me so don’t apologise for that.”

He agreed hesitantly and waited for my answer.

“I have come to request that we release Blackburn.”

Christof looked taken aback. “Release him?”

“Yes, he has been in there for long enough now. I have cured the poison and I am not going to find the man behind it any time soon so I think it is time to let him go.”

“You cured his madness?”

A sad expression took hold and I could not change it, no matter how hard I tired. “The poison Christof, I cured the poison. The majority of his sanity has now been returned but there is a small parasite left in his mind, one that will only appear when he is truly angry.”

Christof sighed heavily. “Lady, he has been under the Penalty for four years. His sanity would be lost long ago anyway. Even those put under it for a few months become lost.”

“They have not been guarded by a Sinclair now have they?” I answered gently. “Ever since I ordered him to go under the Penalty I have been healing his mind, ensuring he does not become lost. As he was the one who demanded I put him on the First, I felt it was my duty to keep him sane.”

“Wait, he wanted the First?” Christof asked, shocked.

I nodded once in confirmation. “To ensure he lived but remained in a state so that he would be controlled, he needed to be on the First. He wanted to live Christof, so he could avenge those he was forced to kill and the death of his brother. I had no right to deny him that but I did have the right to protect him.”

Christof fell silent for a long time with his eyes closed. Eventually he rubbed his face and looked at me sharply.

“You have been taking steps against this enemy for years, Lady, without any of us realising. I would thank you for it but as it is your duty it seems stupid.” He sighed heavily and straightened his back. “Very well, release him. Not that I have any right to stop you and neither do I particularly want to. I will have his carer wake him. It will take a while for him to be moving properly though. Maybe a few days. In the mean time you can stay here if you wish to.”

I tried my hardest to stop the smile that was forming from the small bubbles of joy but I was failing miserably. “I intend to be where Vincent is. I need to make sure the parasite remains under control.”

He agreed. “You won’t be able to see him though. Just his carer will be around him at first, letting his mind adjust to small things. Too many faces and people tend to make those just released from the First a little jumpy.”

“I will follow the rules, Christof, don’t worry. I will only be with him mentally and keeping him calm.”

He smiled gently and nodded. “I hope you are right and that he isn’t lost, Lady. Now go, you need some sleep by the looks of you. If anything happens with him during the waking I will let you know.”

I thanked him warmly then let Dana guide me from the room, fussing over me when I began to stumble. It had been so long since I last slept and the amount of healing I had been doing for Vincent had taken its toll. I needed sleep but before that I reached out to Vincent, wrapping myself around him in joy, confusing him at my entrance but he welcomed me all the same.

I was so happy he was going to be awake and free of the nightmares I put him in. So very, very happy.