The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 16

At first I stood there, staring at him, before my tears started to come harder. I pressed my face to his warm chest as relief swamped me. He was sane, alive and he was here. He protected me. And then the fear and confusion settled back in. I felt my legs give way and was grateful that Vincent’s arms un-hesitantly slunk out to support me, holding my small body to his.

The vampire had wanted me dead. Really wanted it. I didn’t understand why he did it. I hadn’t done anything to warrant any sort of hatred. But then again it might also be because I hadn’t done anything. For years a mooched about in my house, doing nothing for the people I supposedly ruled over. I had done nothing to help the dying immortals. I guess that was cause enough for anyone to come and rip my throat out.

The muffled sound of footsteps and cries rung in my ears but I didn’t listen. I just cried into Vincent’s firm chest, taking comfort in his even breathing and steady heart. It took a little while for me to calm down. I guess these were the tears I had been holding back for four years forcing themselves into the world ever since I put him under the first. I felt so much guilt for what I did even if he had asked me to do it as a favour.

Slowly I calmed and gradually realised I was now kneeling on the floor when the cold snow tickled at my legs. Vincent was still coolly holding me, kneeling so I was in between his legs and pressed close enough to cause me to become engulfed by his large frame. Heat rose to my cheeks and I tried to wriggle free however I found that Vincent was immovable. As I was no stronger than a weak child obviously he would be far superior in physical strength however it still irked me that it was as if he didn’t even notice my pathetic attempts at trying to move.

I could hear my maids grumbling amongst themselves as they circled the corpse of the vampire while Viorel stood near to me. His face was formed in a firm scowl and it was only then that I realised Vincent was watching him out of the corner of his eye. It was as if he was warding Viorel away by the stony expression on his face and keeping me out of sight by shadowing me with his body.

Gently I cleared my throat, instantly grabbing Vincent’s attention as his eyes snapped down to locked with mine. I don’t know why but I couldn’t hold the gaze. It made my heart ache strangely.

“I am okay now, you can let me go.” I said quietly.

There was no hesitation in Vincent’s release. He simply unwrapped himself from around me and stood smoothly, taking a few steps away with his darks eyes latched onto me. With Viorel’s help I pushed myself onto my feet and brushed off some of the snow from my skirt all the while trying my best to not pay attention to Vincent firm gaze. It proved very difficult.

“This is a two year old, Lady.” Dana said darkly. “We will need to tell the Elders to find out anything of use though. His Clan will be questioned as to why he attacked you and possibly punished.”

“Tell the Elders?” I stuttered.

Her eyes snapped onto me and there was a firm glint in them that told me I was not going to win this argument.

“You must, Lady. This is the second attempt on your life and it was even on the edge of the Elders domain. The two must be linked but how I don’t know. We shall have to leave that for Christof to work out.”

I frowned and looked forlornly at her but agreed all the same. This second attack was wrong, very wrong. Someone somewhere wanted me dead and it was vital that we found answers as to why very quickly.

“Go Lady. Sonia and I will deal with the body and take it to Christof. You take Blackburn and explain what he needs to know.” She said, her tone getting stony when she spoke of Vincent. “I am sure there is much you need to discuss with him.”

Again I agreed and allowed Livia to hook her arm in mine and tow me away. Viorel and Livia kept me close while Vincent followed silently and without a word. I did not pay much attention to the corridors of the mansion as I lumbered through. Wordlessly I was ushered into my warm room then almost thrown into the bathroom.

“Shower, Lady. It will help you calm down and wake up.” She said gently then fled to leave me alone.

I did as I was ordered, too tired to argue with her. I stripped and stepped under the warm water, letting it sooth my hot and tear stained face. My emotions were still fried and I could feel a frown tugging at my mouth threateningly. Feeling so much relief, sorrow and fear at once was rather tiring and right now I felt exhausted.

I dressed again quickly and plaited my wet hair before I left and found Livia and Viorel standing beside the door while Vincent was silently sitting in one of the armchairs before the open fire. I stood still for a moment before I realised what he was waiting for. An explanation.

Smoothly I sat in the chair opposite him. I was a little unnerved at the fact his eyes never seem to leave me for long and the fact my pulse quickened whenever I looked at him. But even if Vincent stared at me with a scowl formed on his features, his mouth pressed in a thin line and his dark eyes narrowed, I was still happy that he was sitting just across from me, awake and sane. Ridiculously happy.

Battering away the stupid smile that was trying to overtake my frown, I explained to Vincent what had been happening while he had been ‘asleep’. I went over each finding, each lead and each clue I had discovered over the four years.

And that the people who poisoned him still hadn’t been found.

“So you tell me you woke me even though you have not located the man behind this mess.” He asked me after a moment of silence.

Solemnly I nodded, tugging self consciously at my slightly damp hair. “We tried to find them, we still are, but they remain hidden. I doubt anything will be found now they have gone to ground so I felt there was no need to let you suffer anymore now that you had been cured.” I hesitated then mumbled. “Mostly.”

Slowly Vincent nodded and leaned back in his chair. For a while he remained silent. He just languidly sat there with his hands on the armrests and his eyes locked on my face.

“And you, Lady.” He said suddenly and quite harshly. “What has been happening to you? This is the second time you have had someone try to kill you.”

My body froze when there was a feeling of anger filling the room. I did not need to glance behind me to know Livia and Viorel had faces of thunder.

“I warned you Eva.” Viorel muttered angrily, making me flinch.

“I know.” I mumbled. “But I did not expect a vampire to attack me especially not here.”

I looked up to the suit door sharply when I heard raised voiced and wasn’t surprised to see Christof when the door was flung open roughly with Dana and Sonia, both hot faced and angry, close behind him.

Christof glared at me with his fangs slightly elongated, a strong indication to his fury.

“You were attacked and you didn’t inform me?” He demanded loudly.

“I did not think it was important.” I said quietly, not enjoying the strong sense of anger that was emitting from so many in this room and aimed at me.

For a moment Christof stood still with his mouth hanging open, as if I had slapped him. “Not important?” He stammered before he flew into a rage. “Of course it is bloody important! If someone is trying to take your life then we need to know about it to protect you! Until your clan has been revived, you must be protected!”

I was silent. I knew what he said was true but still, I did not wish to think about it. Having someone out there wanting me dead for no reason I could think of was like a dark storm cloud hovering in my mind. It made me miserable and scared.

Thankfully Viorel noticed and came to my rescue, reining in his own silent anger.

“Well you know now Christof and Eva, as she keeps telling me, is unharmed.”

Christof snarled but smoothed back his hair and folded his arms in an attempt to calm himself.

“You’re right but in future, Lady, please tell us. You are much too important to have at risk.” He said firmly. I nodded weakly. “Good, then I shall leave you. Huan and Beriko have been informed and we will find out where this vampire came from and what reason he had to harm you. In the mean time, stay in your house. We will have my clan watching your house for any threats.”

Numbly I nodded and was silent when he left me.

“He is right Lady, but I won’t scold you any further. I am guessing by the depressed look on your face that you realise withholding this information was wrong.” Dana said plainly. “Now we shall leave and help Christof gather some information before we leave. The sun is nearly high so we have to wait until this evening to return home.”

“Very well Dana. I will wait patiently.” I replied almost inaudibly.

With a last sharp nod, Dana left with Livia and Sonia following closely behind her. I sighed heavily and put my face in my hands, aware that Viorel was moving to put himself by the door with his shotgun at the ready. It seemed even in the Domain I was in danger from this new threat and it irritated me that I knew about this one just as much as the human killers.

“You’re being targeted.” Vincent said, breaking the silence by voicing his thoughts. “But by who is what I would like to know.”

“Don’t we all.” Viorel muttered.

I groaned and flung myself back on the chair before I stood up sharply feeling suddenly fidgety. “I do not care for it.”

I heard a sharp intake of breath from Viorel. “Eva, you must do. If you die--”

“Then the Sinclair clan will fall, I know!” I snapped.

I stood sharply and didn’t for a moment and hung my head with my hands gripping my hair. Feeling anger was rare for me and unnerving but failing at hunting these humans, being too late in curing Vincent’s poison and now having someone, possibly from my own race, trying to kill me was pushing me to the limit.

“Then take better care of yourself.” Vincent growled, his own anger growing and his eyes became hard. “Don’t take risks in future. You took a huge one with me and you continue to take risks by not informing those who want to protect you that you have been attacked.”

My anger instantly deflated and weariness set in again. Every argument I had was easily uprooted by someone else. I had made so many mistakes, I knew that, and it made me feel quite useless.

“I am sorry.” I mumbled.

Viorel sighed lightly and rubbed my shoulder. “Don’t worry Eva. Just go to sleep. You’re emotional right now and very tired. You will be better in the morning after you have had a rest.”

I looked up at him forlornly and slowly nodded my head. He was right of course. It was very late for me and my irritable thoughts were currently battering my self-esteem which was doing my mood no good. Without any reluctance I let Viorel guide me to my bed and helped me get in. He smoothed down my hair gently and kissed my head before he moved back over to the door where he stood guard.

I closed my eyes when they started to get heavy but I could feel Vincent watching me from his chair beside the fire. Keeping my heart as calm as it could be, I absentmindedly reached out with my mind for that familiar firmness. It was there as expected and I ignored the surprise that filled me from Vincent as I settled down like a bird in its nest. I was mildly surprised to find no nightmares to fight away but shrugged it away. Curling up tightly into a ball, I dropped off to sleep almost instantly, finally feeling calm and content in the safety of Vincent’s hesitant but firm mind.