The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 23

I waited quite happily for this letter from Lucius and grew very content when the snow finally melted away. Well, mostly. There were a few clumps here and there but the majority had gone in the wake of spring, leaving my garden free for me to work in. And I wasn’t the only one gaining more of a bounce to my step with every passing day since the Gathering.

Vincent grew more content since his overzealous protection of me at the Domain. I knew it was because I had received no letter from Lucius to ask when he was welcome here. It annoyed me slightly that he grew less moody when I wasn’t in communication with the kind Rain clan Head, so I decided to ask him of his unwarranted coldness towards him. I wasn’t happy with his vague reply of ‘I just hate him’. It told me nothing but I knew the scowl he gave me meant he was not going to speak any further on the subject so grudgingly I gave up.

To soothe my irritation and dampen my impatience to meet this object of Lucius’s, I worked at repairing the damage the assassin’s body had done to my rose bush with my vigour. It was going to take a while and it saddened me that I had to chuck out a lot of the plants having been squashed by the hefty weight that landed on them.

It was as I was working with the very faint streaks of sunlight trailing across the sky and Viorel watching over me as he worked on his laptop, his trusted shotgun leaning beside him, that I felt one of the two links shimmer in my mind.

I hesitated in my work in surprise before I carried on pulling out the roots from the earth only now with a smile on my face instead of a sad frown.

‘Jonathan, this is unusual. It is not often you summon me via the link.’ I stated.

I heard a laugh echo soothingly in my mind. ‘This is very true however I have heard many things of you. The Elder’s are very pleased that you now believe you are in fact of our nature.’

My smile turned into a grin. ‘It took long enough, didn’t it?’

‘It took as long as you needed. To be raised as a human then dragged into our society and placed on our highest pedestal is a lot to ask of anyone, especially of a girl who was on the brink of death. The Elder’s knew this and left you alone for most part but I am glad you have realised what you are and embraced it now. It does take a weight off everyone’s shoulders.’

‘I am glad.’

I felt Jonathan agree when a slither of warmth filled me when he allowed his contentment to spill through the link. ‘I am also concerned, Eva, from other news. Vasco has told me you have been threatened again since we last spoke.’

My mood plummeted suddenly and the frown took over my mouth. ‘Two times I’m afraid and the attackers were all vampires.’

This unnerved him. ‘Vampires? But that’s impossible. Our kind values the Sinclair clan far too highly to allow them to be threatened let alone the fact we know they are much too powerful to attempt to anger.’

‘It is why I am so confused and it doesn’t help that I can’t sense them approaching me. Christof believes they are being controlled or their presence smothered. The only way that could happen is if either Vasco or yourself wish me dead having become lost or a powerful witch is hunting me.’

Jonathan remained calm, even after the heavy accusation from Christof, and mulled over my words carefully before answering.

‘Well I don’t want you dead and neither does Vasco, you can be certain about that.’ He stated in a light tone. ‘However, with what you have told me about the human threat and a traitor Family, having a strong witch hunting you down would make sense.’

‘Christof was doubtful though. He said that a witch born with so much Matter to hide their assailants or even control their minds is very rare.’ I said glumly.

‘He has reason to be doubtful Eva but don’t worry. Your enemy may be a powerful witch or possibly a warlock but it is most certainly not your Silvers.’

I sighed heavily in relief. While I hadn’t doubted Vasco’s and Jonathan’s loyalty and sanity, it was a huge comfort to hear him say they weren’t on the brink.

‘Tell me Eva, have you chosen your partner yet?’ He asked me abruptly.

It was such a sudden turn in subject and a question I didn’t expect my mind briefly went blank until it kicked itself into gear.

‘No, Jonathan, I haven’t.’ I told him.

He grunted in disapproval. ‘You need a partner, Eva, especially with what’s been going on. Your safety will be strengthened considerably if you have someone completely immortal fighting for you. Without Gawain killing when necessary, I would’ve been lost many years ago.’

‘I know, but I don’t know who to choose. All my maids are loyal to me and neither do I want to force such a burden on them.’

Jonathan paused in thought. ‘What about that man you saved, Vincent Blackburn? He would be a good candidate to be your guardian.’ He suggested.

My fingers froze in their work and I was truly thankful my back was to Viorel and he was absorbed in his work so he couldn’t see my red warm face.

‘No, I won’t choose him.’ I stated.

‘And why not? He is strong and a good fighter and technically protects you already.’

I shook my head. ‘No, Jonathan. Vince is only beside me to guard me until the assassin’s have been dealt with in return for me keeping him safe for all those years. Once it is over, he will leave to return to his sister in England. If I make him my partner, he will not be able to leave my side, even when he desperately wants to.’ I said sadly and half heartedly let my hands start their work again. ‘I don’t want to trap him like that.’

‘You sound like you have a soft spot for him.’ Jonathan said teasingly.

My face grew warmer. ‘So what if I do!’ I snapped pathetically but it had the desired effect of Jonathan falling silent from surprise. ‘I would like him to stay with me and protect me but I want it to be his choice, not mine. If he becomes my partner, he would be beside me because he cannot physically leave, not because he wants to stay with me.’

‘You do have a soft spot for him then.’ He muttered before his attention suddenly sharpened. ‘Eva, I must go, but keep yourself safe and, in all seriousness, do choose your partner and soon.’ And with that he shut the link, leaving me feeling ever so slightly embarrassed.

I knew he was right. To defend myself from killing and risking my sanity, I needed a partner, especially now I had an unseen enemy hiding in the shadows. Vince was the most logical choice but I stood by what I felt. I didn’t want him beside me due to the link of the partnership; I wanted him to stay beside me because it was his desire to.

With a slightly lighter heart but heavier head, I continued my work until I heard movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see Vincent coming towards me and I was very surprise to see his thunderous expression had returned. I stood up to greet him, brushing the mud from my knees, and smiled gently at him even if he looked like he wanted to rip someone’s head off. I had noticed that Viorel had stopped working at Vincent’s approach and was watching him warily.

“What is it?” I asked.

“This came for you.” He snapped, holding out an envelope.

Just seeing that white crumpled piece of paper in his large hand was enough to know why his mood had suddenly plummeted. Trying to stop the expression of joy from spreading across my face, I took the envelope and tore out the letter. I read it happily, ignoring the growing annoyance in Vince who stood behind me and reading the letter.

With a smile I looked up at Viorel who was watching me, waiting for his the orders he was expecting to receive.

“Viorel, could you go tell Dana that we will be receiving guests in no more than five days.” I asked warmly.

Viorel’s eyebrows shot up. “Guests? We very rarely have guests. Who are they?”

“Members of the Rain clan.” I replied vaguely.

He gave me an annoyed look at the unspecific answer but he stood all the same and wondered back into the house, yawning loudly and rubbing the back of his neck.

“I can’t believe you’ve agreed to this.” Vincent snarled.

My eyes swivelled round to latch onto his face. “It’s my job. He came to me for help so help him I shall.”

His eyes narrowed and his anger grew considerably to the point I skimmed his mind to ensure his parasite was still dormant.

“There is no need to be angry about it, Vince. His intention is not to hurt me or anyone within this house.” I said calmly, trying to soothe his rage and failing for once.

“That’s not the bloody problem.” He snapped loudly.

“Then what is it?”

Vince’s mouth pressed shut but his eyes still never left my face. Slowly the anger depleted to something along the lines of resentment. Roughly he stuffed his hands into his jeans pockets and let a low growl rumble out of his chest in irritation.

“Just don’t get too close to him.” He demanded and turned sharply to return to the house, leaving me standing alone in the middle of my muddy rose bed even more confused than I was before about Vince’s unwarranted hatred towards a man he barely knew.