The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 25

Fear engulfed me like a wave, squeezing my lungs and chocking me of air. Blindly at first I stared at nothing until they focused on the face of Vincent speaking to me firmly with a dark expression gathering on his face. I could not hear his words but the sight of such a comforting albeit angry face was such a relief for my terrified mind.

“Vince.” I cried.

The tears that had been leaking from my eyes began to flow without holding back. The sense of fear was still strong; so strong I didn’t pay much attention to how enraged Vincent appeared now and that he pulled me close to his chest and tucked my head under his chin.

Soothingly he stroked my untangling hair and pressed me close to him, letting me take comfort in the warmth and solidness of his body. Slowly the fear receded and my cries became sniffles as the sense of safety took over. I didn’t bother to try and move, partly because Vincent was holding me so tightly I knew he wouldn’t realise when I did try to wriggle out of his grasp and partly because I didn’t want to be let go. His arms were strong and I currently felt very safe in them, like nothing could harm me while I was close to him.

He didn’t speak for a while as he rocked me gently, just letting me calm down and gather my thoughts. Eventually my breathing was normal and my brain was functioning well enough to think coherently.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled, suddenly very embarrassed.

Vincent rubbed my head with his chin before he pushed me away from him so he could look me in the eye. His expression was still stern but had become softer, especially his eyes. With gentle hands, he cupped my face and let his thumb stroke my wet cheek, completely ignoring the blush that was making my pale skin glow.

“What scared you?” He asked, trying very hard to keep his tone from being snappish.

“A nightmare.” I managed to force out.

“Do you remember what happened in it?”

I tried to shake my head but found I couldn’t move my head so instead I spoke. “Not really. I can remember the sense of darkness, blood, rage, death and fear but not what it was about.” I told him, trying to smother the little pang of terror that rippled in my chest.

Vincent frowned but stopped asking me about it, noticing the rise of fear in my face. I carried on anyway.

“I feel scared Vince. I have never had a nightmare before, let alone something like this.” I said thickly and felt my eyes well up again. “I think it might mean something, something very bad.”

His expression became stony once again. I expected him to say I was stupid for fretting over a dream and thinking the world was to end because of it but instead he leaned forward and pressed his mouth just under my eye.

My mind became blank and I felt my face becoming very hot which only became worse when he continued kiss me. Once, twice, three times I felt his lips press against my skin. When he moved away his face was as stern as it was before and didn’t give away to what he was thinking. Instead, after a moment of watching me sharply, he stood, holding out his hand for me to take. At first I just sat there, staring stupidly and red faced at him before my brain kicked into gear and decided to take his hand. Easily he pulled me onto my feet and steadied me when I nearly fell over as my legs were a little behind on the waking up side of things.

Silently he guided me away from the spare room that was starting to fill the room with sunlight and towards my bedroom where he shoved me inside, ordering I get changed and let him know once I was done.

I did as I was told, trying to stifle yawns as I did but all the while I had to force my focus on the task at hand and wrestle it away from the memory of Vincent’s kiss. It bewildered me. I never thought of him as an affectionate type and neither did I think he would ever want to kiss me but I found it strangely exhilarating and I couldn’t deny myself that I wanted it again.

As soon as I was ready for bed I called to him in my mind and the door was swung roughly open just as I snuggled down under my duvet. I curled my blanket so it covered my nose and closed my eyes. I couldn’t look at Vincent as he wondered about the room, found a chair and sat beside my bed. I wanted to know what he was thinking, what possessed him to kiss my face but at the same time I was scared. He might’ve just decided to give me something else to think about instead of the horrific fear inducing nightmare, and if that was his aim he was doing a very good job.

I sighed heavily and then stiffened when I felt the large familiar hand of Vincent stroke my hair.

“Sleep, Lady.” He said roughly. “And try not to think too much on that dream. I will wake you in a few hours after you have had a proper rest.”

Wordlessly I nodded and tried my hardest to sleep. It took me a long time as my mind kept bringing up the memory of Vincent’s mouth against my skin, making my heart race and my mind alert as the same hopeful little question floated about.

Did Vincent care for me just as I cared for him?

*

Needless to say I found holding Vincent’s gaze just a little difficult over the remaining days. I wanted to speak with him about it but he didn’t seem bothered in the slightest by that night. He treated me no differently than he did before his sudden show of affection which utterly bewildered me. If he didn’t feel anything towards me I doubted he would try and comfort me to such as extent as he did so why hadn’t his actions towards me changed?

My emotional plight did not go unnoticed by my Viorel and, while my maids were used to my internal battles with myself, he was not. And, in his usual forward way, asked me about my obvious emotional turmoil once he had cornered me at the height of day and in the stages of finishing off the second room.

“What’s wrong Eva?” He asked gently. “You seem out of it.”

I looked up sharply from my task of fluffing the pillows then let my gaze slide back down at my small hands at work. I hesitated for a long time, not certain whether or not this was something I should really speak of with Viorel. He was wary enough as it was about Vincent and telling him this would only anger him.

But my mouth had its own ideas it seemed.

“Vincent kissed me last night.” I said quietly then whirled around with my face glowing. “Not on the mouth! On my cheek.” I let my finger brush the place beneath my eye. “I think it was to comfort me but I don’t know. The way he treats me hasn't changed but he just doesn’t seem the type to do that randomly.”

Viorel remained silent and completely frozen which made me want to kill my mouth. It seemed he was either too shocked to speak or filled with so much rage his mouth was clamped shut.

But instead of going on a rampage as I half expected him to, Viorel stood and breathed in heavily and quite slowly. Then, he turned to me with a scowl on his face.

“Why was he trying to comfort you?” He asked in a strained tone.

I blinked at the sudden change in subject until the memory of my fear returned. “A nightmare.” I mumbled.

It was his turn to be confused and the glare was wiped from his face instantly. “You mean you dreamt?” He asked me. “But you never dream.”

“I know which might be why that nightmare was so scary.” I said, biting my lip gently.

“You sound worried about it.”

“I don’t like it. It felt very much like omen or a warning. My senses were trying to tell me something.”

Viorel nodded and, noticing my concerned expression, came to stand beside me so he could pull me into an embrace. “Try not to worry and, if it happens again, alert us. It might be worth going to the Elders about it.”

I nodded in agreement and returned his hug until he pushed himself away.

“I will go get Dana, let her know we are finished in here now. She will be pleased I think. She never likes it when you’re running around like a headless chicken. You tend to hurt yourself.” He muttered and nearly left me however my hand shot out and took hold of his jacket’s sleeve.

My voice failed me though as embarrassment gripped my through so instead I just held on tightly to the small bit of material with my face growing warmer and brighter. With an exasperated sigh, Viorel unhooked my hand andsqueezed it gently.

“Eva, you worry over stupid things.” He stated.

I shook my head hard. “It’s not stupid Viorel.” I said stubbornly.

He was silent for a moment as he observed my face but eventually he gave in.

“Vincent would never kiss you unless he meant it, so stop fretting.” He said resentfully and took the chance to leave me quickly now that I was not latching onto him.

But his words were what I wanted to hear and a stupid smile pulled at my mouth as bliss filled my whole being.
It was just possible Vincent returned my feelings.

As the day turned to night and the looming approach of my guests was growing, I continued to hum happily to myself throughout the remaining time. I never felt so elated in my life. Such a small prospect it was that Vincent could love me, but it only took these slim chances to make me feel like I was on top of the world.

I would’ve showered Vincent with my joy if he wasn’t in such a bad mood. A thunderous cloud seemed to have formed over his head while he brooded in the study and his expression seemed to get darker and stonier with every passing hour.

This dampened my mood considerably and confusion began to bubble. Did he hate and distrust Lucius that much? I just couldn’t understand it. He hadn’t even spoken to the man so how did he get such a horrible opinion of him? I wouldn’t to ask him about it but I knew that would only put oil on the fire and I didn’t want the parasite touched.

So instead we left him alone to wallow in his anger. He would come out when he was ready and not before. If anything it would be better that he remained in the study when Lucius appeared.

As the clock stuck one in the morning, the sound of a car pulling up outside rumbled in my ears, perking up my flailing attention and losing battle against sleep. I jumped out of my seat in the lounge and shot a grin at Sonia before darting to the front door.

Dana and Livia had heard it too and were already standing in their normal greeting position beside the door, ready to bow. I had tried to stop them from doing this but they refused to be budged out of this strange curtsey of theirs, saying it was only polite to greet those higher in the hierarchy than them.

With Sonia by my side, I stepped out into the warm night, pleased when I saw Lucius coming up the steps with a bag in hand.

“Lady Eva, thank you for letting us stay.” He said warmly.

“You’re most welcome Lucius. Now, where is the ‘object’.” I asked as my eyes roamed the spaces beside him.

“Still in the car. She’s stubborn.” He said with a smile before turning and bellowing for her to come out.

After about a minute, the car door was shoved open and a girl with cropped brunette hair stepped out and warily slunk towards Lucius. She stood beside him with her arms folded and a scowl plastered on her face as she stared at me with distrust.

I was surprised that she was so small for her age but I was even more surprised that, for a girl who seemed very much like a tomboy, was wearing a long black dress with a frilly apron. It couldn’t help but giggle at the sight which made the girl’s mood worse and scowl deepen.

“Eva, this is the object I spoke of, the one I’m not meant to have.” Lucius said, placing his hand on the girl’s head and looked down at her adoringly. “I would like to introduce you to Susan Lowell.”