The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 2

I instantly located the stern sharp mind of Margot hovering about in the main hallway with my maids flitting about her, trying to calm her grating temper at my absence. And when I entered the hallway with Viorel beside me, her vulture eyes latched onto me, holding my weak angry gaze. I knew I was useless at appearing angry, about as useless as I was at feeling it, but I was annoyed that she brought something so...hostile into my home and I was not going to keep quiet about it.

I stood before the tall sharply and business dressed vampire who shoes clicked against the varnished wooden floor as she turned and ignored the strong male vampire surrounding her. Although my mind was confused at their presence. Normally if Margot had something to inform me about she came alone, not with half a dozen bodyguards.

“You have kept me waiting for over an hour, Lady.” She stated with a forced smile and annoyed gaze.

I smiled lightly, almost joyfully, which grated on her nerves. “I was out thinking.” I replied.

Margot huffed and placed her hands on her hips. “Well while you were thinking I have been standing around tapping my foot with a time bomb hanging around.” She snapped.

I raised my pale eyebrows. “A time bomb?” I echoed then clicked. “You mean the owner of that damning aura.”

She nodded sharply. “Care to allow me to sit down while I explain this to you or do you insist on me standing?”

I nodded, no taking offence in her sharp tone. I liked Margot as she was the only one who spoke to me like this. Every other vampire seemed to talk to me gently, as if they were scared I was about to fly into a rage or something. It upset me that they did. I was not the sort to shout or yell at people even if they made a huge mistake.

I swept into the wide main lounge and indicated for Margot to sit opposite me. Sonia, a dark skinned vampire and one of my trusted maids, darted smoothly to my side and leaned forward.

“Shall I get some tea, Lady?” She asked politely.

I smiled and nodded, murmuring a thank you before I looked across at Margot’s fierce expression.

“Will you please explain to me what is going on?” I asked gently.

Margot sighed heavily and leaned back, folding her legs and placing her pale hands on her lap after readjusting her narrow glasses.

“Two weeks ago we began a hunt. The eldest member of the very small but very old Blackburn clan went on the rampage, killing numerous Witches and vampires and the only reason we subdued him was because Vasco Sinagra got involved.” She stated simply.

My eyes were wide and worry was now piling. “How many died?”

“No more than twenty.” Margot said bluntly. “Blackburn is very strong but he has always been sane even if a little ruthless. Why he went on this murderous frenzy we don’t know.”

I allowed my attention to be taken briefly by Sonia as she brought the tray over to the coffee table and handed the cups of tea to each woman. I sipped it then cradled it, suddenly not in the mood for tea.

“And what will you do with him?” I asked hesitantly.

Margot shrugged. “He will be in quarantine until the Elder’s see him. And then he will probably be sentenced to death. He took a lot of our Witches lives you know.”

A little niggle began to squirm at the back of my mind and I narrowed my eyes gently in suspicion.

“And where are you planning to have him quarantined?” I asked although I already knew the answer.

“Here.” Margot said confirming my thought.

“And why here?”

“Because the Elder’s declared it so. That and the dungeon beneath this house was specifically made to hold vampires like him in one place.” She stated.

“So I have no say in the matter.”

Margot hitched an eyebrow up in surprise. “You do. As the Queen of our people no one can enforce this upon you. However if you want Blackburn to be held somewhere else with the risk of him escaping and starting on his rampage again then by all means tell us no.”

I grumbled to myself in resignation and took a mouth full of tea. Margot knew exactly how my mind worked and always used it to her advantage much to my dismay.

“Very well.” I said with a heavy sigh. “He can stay here.”

Margot bowed her head, her face still stony and stern. “I thank you kind Lady.”

“How long must he stay for?”

“No more than three days. The Elder’s will then be ready for the trial and inevitable death sentence.” Margot said, unfolding her legs and placing the half empty cup on the coffee table. She stood smoothly, patting down her skirt before she turned to me and bowed once again. “I must take my leave now. Blackburn is already in the dungeon. If you want to see him you can just don’t get too close.” She warned.

I stood smoothly still carrying my cup as I followed her out of the lounge and back into the hall.

“In three days we shall take him back, Lady.” She told me again. “Just make sure he does not starve. That is all.”

I barely had time to say farewell to the uptight vampire before she marched out the door and into the early cool night with the other male vampires close behind her. Sonia grabbed the handle of the door and closed it firmly, cutting off my terrible attempt at a glare as I watched Margot swagger away, sipping my tea half heartedly.

Sonia stood in front of the door watching me with calm eyes. I knew Livia and Dana were standing behind me, also watching and waiting alongside Viorel. After I drained my cup I held it out for Sonia to take from me then turned wearily to Viorel who shrugged.

“I did tell you it was important.” He warned lightly.

“I did not realise that it was because they wanted me to harbour a serial killer.” I said sadly, pouting slightly. When I realised I was I quickly slapped my face with both hands then rubbed my cheeks. I needed to get out of that habit. “Right,” I said heavily and began to walk down the dimly lit hallways. “I might as well go meet this stranger then.”

“Just be careful, Lady.” Viorel said firmly.

I turned to him and patted his cheek lightly. “I will be but you can go to bed. I would rather a human not to be down there with him.” I shushed him when I saw him about to protest. “Livia and Sonia will come down with me so don’t worry.”

Grudgingly he agreed but I did not feel him move before I melted away into the darkness and out of his weak human sight although deep inside I wished he had come with me. I did not like the danger and rage that was seeping out from the dungeon in droves. Not one bit.