The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 30

I waded my way through the offending energy, gathering the Matter together and trying my best to keep in one place as I weaved together a cage for it. I sighed heavily when my mind slipped and the string snapped, letting the Matter flow again. For a moment I just floated in Susan’s essence as I thought grimly to myself however when Susan shouted at my corporeal self, I was jolted to attention.

I blinked heavily for a moment before I rubbed my forehead as the pain began to seep into my head. Squinting, I glanced at the glaring witch child before I smiled attentively.

“What’s wrong?” I asked quietly.

“If you’re not going to work, can I go?” She snapped, folding her arms firmly over her chest.

My small smile died and was replaced by a frown. “I was working.”

“You weren’t. You kept flailing or hesitating; not like the first time you merged with me.” She stated firmly.

I blinked gently then leaned against the wall behind me. She was right. I wasn’t paying attention. Ever since Vince had declared he would let himself be killed by this small girl, I hadn’t been able to concentrate. Images of Vincent bleeding and cold kept flashing in my mind; making my chest hurt and my heart ache.

My sorrow wasn’t hidden particularly so my distress didn’t go amiss to Susan. It seemed to annoy her as she groaned in irritation and rubbed her face hard.

“What’s bothering you?”

I thought for a while, debating whether or not speaking to the potential killer of Vince was the best idea however I didn’t have to explain elaborately; I only needed to voice my fears.

“I am scared, Susan. In keeping Vincent safe from someone, I found out what he wanted to let them do. He was going to let them kill him and he still intends to even now.” I said thickly, trying my hardest to let the panic that was rising engulf me and failing miserably. “I don’t want him to die.”

Susan scowled at me irritably as fervently wiped away the tears that just seemed to keep flowing. She waited patiently for me to calm down a little before she spoke.

“I thought he lived to guard you.” Susan stated abruptly.

That made my snivelling pause. “He doesn’t.” I said sadly. “He is beside me until he’s avenged his brother.”

She snorted horribly. “Lies.”

“What makes you say that?”

She gave me an irritated look before she unfolded her arms and leaned back on her hands. “I can sense hidden emotions and that guy has many hidden. So many it actually gives me a headache when I’m near him.” She grumbled darkly then glanced up sharply. “I don’t think he’d let himself die though. When on the brink, I think he’d fight to stay alive.”

My heart lightened at her words. “What makes you say this?” I ask, questioning her conviction.

“I told you I can sense hidden emotions. The more they want to hide them, the more I feel them. He feels a strong attachment to you and a strong sense of duty. I doubt he would just lay down and die if it means leaving you.” She said quite grudgingly but the smothering joy I was feeling blinded me to her sickened tone.

Tears were flwoing again, this time however they were out of relief. Vince wouldn’t let himself die, according to Susan. He would fight. And to be honest, I would fight for him, even if he wouldn’t. I would never stand by and watch him die. It would kill me inside to do that.

In a explosion of emotion and warmth for the cold child in front of me, I jumped to my feet and pulled her to my chest tightly. I squeezed her tightly as I could in my embrace, thanking her mentally and letting her feel the happiness that had now enveloped me. At first she struggled but eventually she just let me hug her, even though she could easily push me away. That just made me like her even more. I let her go suddenly then kneeled down in front of her, taking her small hands in my own.

“You are very kind Susan.” I stated warmly.

Her already red face grew hotter at my compliment and she glared at her knees. “I don’t think I am.”

“You are. You are very, very kind, even if you hide it.” I said and squeezed her hands. “Know this, if you are ever in any danger or need someone to help you, come to me. You will have me to back you up whenever you are in danger.”

Susan grunted. “I can take care of myself. I don’t need your help or anyone else’s to fight my battles.”

I smiled broadly, taking the grumbled comment as a thank you. I let her hands go and called out to Livia who came shuffling swiftly from behind one of my many garden walls. She looked at me with concern at first until she realised I was in fact quite happy and decided to ignore my tears.

“Could you take care of Susan? I have done all I can do today.”

Susan gave me a long look of disbelief but she shrugged her shoulders all the same. “I’ll go look for Viorel.” She stated and wandered off, only giving Livia a moment to bow to me before she trundled off after the girl.

Instantly I flung my senses out, seeking out a specific man. As the night was strong, Vincent was resting outside in the cool spring breeze and thankfully not too far. Letting my mind hover about his, I made my way through the maze of plants and bushes before I finally found him.

He was sitting, sprawled out on a stone bench with his head resting in his hand. He looked so peaceful but, as always, appeared quite deadly. I couldn’t quite understand how he managed to do that. I tested his awareness mentally, pocking lightly at his sense. He was asleep but alert for any dangers. As I was not a danger, I wouldn’t disturb him.

Carefully, I settled myself beside him on the bench, sitting close to him. He was alive; safe. That was how I wanted him, how I always wanted him. I didn’t want him to speak of himself dying and Susan’s words had helped me keep those terrifying images away and gave me hope that he might fight her to live. I prayed she was right.

At first I just watched him happily but, before I knew what I was doing, I was leaning over him and kissing him lightly on his rough stubble covered cheek. I held my breath in shock and embarrassment at my action, praying he didn’t wake up. Thankfully, he didn’t move and neither did her stir at my show of affection. He just remained still. I breathed out in relief then settled myself back down beside him, leaning against his body and resting my head on his shoulder. Contentment filled me and lulled me to a restful doze as I felt the wind rustle my hair and my sensitive ears picked up the sound of Vincent’s steady heartbeat. I felt calm and hoped nothing would ruin this moment, however the horrible sense of danger filled me when there was a heavy thud and a hiss.

I barely had time to open my eyes to glance at the hissing vampire in front of me before Vincent flung himself into action. Just as the assassin rushed forward, Vince pushed himself onto his feet with his parasite roaring hideously in his mind. Grabbing hold of the vampire’s clawed hand, Vincent wrenched the wrist into a horrible position and a loud crack and howl ripped at the air. Still holding the broken wrist, he let his other hold ram into the vampire’s throat, holding him in a crushing grip as he forced him sideways and swung him round to smash him into the tall garden wall. The brick cracked and the vampire’s clawed desperately at Vincent’s arm, trying to get him to let go so he could breathe. It only cause Vincent’s hand to grip tighter and his expression to become darker. I glanced at the vampire. I needed him alive, not dead.

I pushed myself onto my feet, letting my fingers reach into Vincent’s dark, writhing mind while I physically gripped his powerful arm. Soothingly I whispered to him, trying to calm him down and release the dying vampire. I was getting somewhere at first. Vincent’s parasite was calming and his grip was loosening, however that changed when Lucius came.

Along with Dana and Sonia who had been patrolling the grounds, Lucius came darting around the corner. Vincent only needed to look at him once for the parasite to begin to fight for control. In one strong movement, Vince pushed me back and flung the vampire onto the floor hard, rendering him unconscious. With a threatening growl, Vincent turned on Lucius who stood his ground with some bewilderment and shock.

Sensing the rising blood lust in him, I grabbed hold of Vincent’s arm and dived deeply into his mind. “Lucius, I need you to get out of here!” I shouted at him while trying to force the adamant parasite back.

“I can’t leave you with him.” He called back.

This comment really made Vincent furious. The parasite managed to shove me back mentally for a moment but I stood my ground and reacted, strengthening my power output.

“You must. You’re only making him angrier. I can’t calm him down if you’re here.” I snapped, my own anger now starting to grow.

Lucius hesitated but Dana knew that rare tone. She grabbed his arm and dragged him away, muttering to herself darkly. Sonia left but not too far. I could sense her within screaming distance. The vampire remained unconscious thankfully. I didn’t want too many distractions.

I moved myself in front of him, mentally keeping his feet anchored when I felt his horrible need to hunt Lucius and rip his throat out. My fingers latched onto his shirt and that was all I needed to do to alert him to my presence. His dark eyes latched onto mine and his hands gripped my hips, startling me slightly. Pressing me close to him, his eyes roamed my face before they settled on my mouth. He lowered his head so his lips brushed mine gently and his breathing was becoming ragged and heavy. My face was glowing now and I was finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate on my task of binding the parasite. It seemed I didn’t have to worry about it though. His rage was calming and his grip was weakening. Eventually the parasite had retreated by itself, leaving Vincent holding me close to him and with his mouth inches from mine.

His eyes latched onto my own wide shocked pair and realisation seemed to seep into his expression. With a low growl, he pushed me to the side and stepped meaningfully towards the unconscious vampire. Thinking he meant to finish what he started, I stepped forward to stop him.

“We need him al-“ I started but was cut off by a dark scowl.

“I know.” He snarled and I fell silent.

In one smooth movement, Vincent grabbed the assassin and flung him over his shoulder. He then strode away without looking back and without saying a word. At the sight of Vincent having returned to normal, Sonia slipped back from behind the wall. She mothered me well, checking me for wounds before she ushered me inside for a warm cup of tea.

She couldn’t help my confusion though. I was happy and elated but sad and depressed at the same time. Vincent had nearly kissed me in his parasite state of mind but he rejected me when he was normal. I didn’t know what to make of it. Did he love me or did he only see me as someone he owes a favour for? I sighed heavily and drank the tea Sonia handed to me.

It seems when things appear to make sense, something happens to mess it all up.