The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 32

I woke the next evening feeling fully rested. My focus had returned and my fever had diminished, leaving me feeling more like myself once more.

When I tried to move my hand and found it encased in someone else’s. Thinking it was Vincent, a smile spread across my face and I turned my face only to find Viorel’s mop of blond hair not too far from me. He had fallen asleep in his watch over me and used my bed as a pillow.

While I was disappointed that Vincent was not with me again, I was happy to see the man I loved as if he was my own child. I rolled onto my side and gently prodded his head. He woke sharply then and pushed himself backwards onto the chair sharply.

Wearily he stared at me before he realised who I was and smiled brightly. “How are you feeling now?” He asked.

“Much better.” I said warmly, patting his knee before pushing myself up.

For a moment my head spun but my focus returned rapidly, letting me turn my attention to my moonlit room and large bare house. Stretching my mind, I flooded my home in search of my maids and guests. Lucius and Susan were together in the gardens. Susan was apparently angry at him again for not explain what I was doing exactly while Lucius remained content, sitting in the dark cool night. Livia was sleeping while Sonia and Vincent kept an eye on the prisoner and the perimeter of the house. Dana wasn’t around I realised and the knowledge of my revelation came to me.

Viorel seemed to sense my melancholy and knew what bothered me.

“Dana left late yesterday evening for the Domain.” He said solemnly. “I won’t be surprised if she returns with all three Elders near dawn.”

I nodded my head limply. “I am expecting them to appear. This news is something no one wanted to hear so they will need to speak to me about what happened.”

Viorel silently agreed and stood sharply. “I will wait outside. Get showered then I will show you to Susan.” He said.

“I can find her myself, Viorel.” I stated.

“Yes but the assassins are finding other ways of harming you. We can’t leave alone for too long now.” He said firmly before leaving me alone as he closed the door lightly behind him.

I rubbed my face hard then stared at my hands absentmindedly. Nothing really went through my mind, just the sense of despair at the looming hunt. As soon as either Vasco or Jonathan are revealed as the Lost Silver, I would have to find them and end their life. I had been told in the early days of my vampiric life what my duty held. The Sinclair was the holder of order among the clans and that included the Silvers. Keeping those powerful Bloods inline was vital and destroying them when they finally go mad was something I had to do.

With a heavy sigh I decided to get myself showered. I stank of sweat and my hair felt lank and dirty. Needless to say I didn’t want to go out and find Susan to begin the sealing when I was not particularly clean.

I didn’t bother to wait for the water to warm up once I had wondered into the bathroom and turned the shower on. I stepped in, flinching from the cold and instantly began to scrub my body down with soapy flannel to create a scent that was far kinder on the nose.
As I attacked my skin and hair, I absentmindedly reached out to Vincent. He was not far from me, on the roof in fact, watching the night and letting his ears listen to any sound of danger. Gently I nudged him, letting ghost like fingers stroke his strong face. Vincent didn’t so much as flinch at my invisible touch, instead he just grunted in welcome.

‘Are you awake for good this time?’ He asked me.

‘Yes I am. I will be finding Susan soon to try and finish the sealing.’ I told him softly then paused before I continued. ‘Thank you for watching over me during my fever.’

‘I don’t want your thanks for that.’ He snapped irritably. ‘Just make sure you don’t get yourself into such dangerous situations again.’

‘It’s not like I want to be in danger.’ I grumbled.

‘Then keep a keener eye out for it. I don’t want to have to find you on the brink of death ever again.’ His temper was rising, quite rapidly as well, so I decided to drop the subject of the nearly successful assassination. Instead a whirled it to what Vincent has told me before I fell asleep the night before.

‘What did I ask you Vince?’

This popped his bubble of anger swiftly and something passionate filled him. ‘When?’ He asked knowingly.

My eyebrows snapped down and my usual pout appeared without my knowledge. ‘You know when Vince. I asked you something in my fever which you replied yes to so I want to know what it was.’

A chuckle rumbled in my mind, making me stiffen slightly. It was rare for Vincent to laugh and whenever he did I felt this warm tingly sensation shiver down my spine. It always made me smile shyly when that feeling took hold of me.

‘You’re not going to tell me, are you?’ I stated dejectedly.

‘You know the question, Eva. You’ve just got to work it out.’ He said with a smile in his voice.

I sighed lightly and gave up. He was extraordinarly stubborn and knew this was something he was not going to budge on. ‘Very well Vince, I’ll play your game.’ I muttered.

For a little while we both remained silent although quite content wallowing in each others essence. As I let my fingers run through my wet soapy hair, I thought back to the time he nearly kissed, that moment when he looked at me with such passion I thought I was going to melt. That memoy brought on my sadness again. I loved him, I truly did, but what he felt for me was not straight forward in the slightest. Sometimes I thought he returned my feelings, other times I felt he loathed me.

‘Whatever has been bothering you for the past few days, tell me. Feeling your sadness does my mood no good.’ He said sharply.

My frown became firmer as I hesitated. I couldn’t exactly tell him exactly how I was feeling, that would be far too embarrassing and damaging to our friendship, or whatever our relationship was. I couldn’t lie to him either. It seemed I had no choice but to tip toe around the topic without giving too much away.

‘Do you like me?’ I asked abruptly and rather clumsily.

Surprise filled him along side confusion. ‘What sort of question is that?’

‘You’re the one who wanted to know what has been bothering me.’ I said defensively. ‘I don’t know whether you like me or only see me as someone to repay a debt to.’ I mumbled, my voice becoming quite small.

Suddenly his emotions became less free and silent but I felt something strengthening within him, something angry. ‘You think I feel nothing towards you?’ He demanded in a low, dark tone.

‘I don’t know, Vince, that’s what I’m saying.’ I mumbled quietly. ‘I get confused about how you see me sometimes.’

‘Then how’s this for an answer; you’re an idiot for even thinking I don’t care for your wellbeing.’ He snarled dangerously.

The rage that was growing rapidly within him was strong enough to stir the parasite which alarmed me. Taking his answer silently, I gently soothed his parasite and stroked his hair. Grudgingly he allowed himself to be calmed and leaned into my warmth. No more was said on the subject.

Shaking slightly from adrenalin, I stepped out the shower and rung my hair tightly. ‘Let me know when Christof arrives.’ I asked softly.

‘I will, don’t worry.’ He said moodily.

With a small smile and one last touch of his face to comfort him, I shut down the link to its normal thin thread. Bundling my hair into a bun that sat unceremoniously on my head, I quickly pulled on some light trousers and thick woollen shirt. Dressed and now smelling far nicer, I trundled out of the door to find Viorel waiting for me.

I smiled at him and he returned the gesture, shouldering the old shotgun on his shoulder as he took my hand in a loose grip. He guided me downstairs and only stopped when Sonia came darting down the corridor that lead from the kitchen.

“Here’s your tea, Lady.” Sonia said, handing me a warm cup.

I thanked her and drank quickly. What weakness I had been feeling was destroyed as the vampiric blood filled me. I gave Sonia a quick smile as she bowed and scurried away back to the kitchen, taking the cup with her.

Viorel dragged me through the house and out into the garden and we didn’t have far to go when we found Susan and Lucius.

Susan greeted me with a sharp glare while Lucius stood, glancing me over with concern.

“Are you well now, Lady?” He asked.

“I am.” I replied before turning my gaze into the moody witch child. “And I thank you Susan for saving me.”

Susan shrugged and kicked the low floral wall with the heel of her foot. “I ended up causing you to become sick though. Your lover, or whatever he is, nearly ripped my throat out when he found me piling Matter into you.” She said mildly.

My face glowed hotly and my heart sped at the title ‘lover’ for Vincent. I blinked then shook my head fervently before smiling timidly.

“Vincent is my bodyguard and he sometimes gets a little protective of me.” I said, stammering slightly.

Susan shrugged again. “Well as I had to say to him, making you sick was the lesser of two evils. I am sure he preferred you with a fever than without a pulse.”

I mumbled my agreement and tried my hardest to get my face to return to its normal pale colour however it seemed it was determined to stay in its hot red shade. Lucius stepped forward, still looking concerned.

“Are you okay with continuing with Susan’s treatment?” He asked me kindly. “You can leave it for another day or so if you feel you need to.”

I shook my head once. “I am fine to carry on.”

Susan snorted. “Oh joy.” She muttered.

My mouth turned into a broad grin. “Sit down then Susan and let us get started.”

Susan groaned as I ushered her to the bench and plopped down hard. I sat down beside her and let my fingers brace her forehead. With a quick smile flashing across my face at the scowling child before me, I let my mind enter her body to begin the complicated sewing once again as Viorel and Lucius watched over us.