The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 38

The day had gone by sluggishly and I managed to get some sleep while keeping my mind on high alert. When I woke near dusk, I found a pair of tired bloodshot grey eyes staring at me from the bed opposite. It scared me for a moment I had to admit but I calmed myself once I remembered what had happened yesterday.

After returning to Vincent’s old Clan home, we were found by a rather drunk child who was Elizabeth, his 700 year old sister. After having exploded from rage and sorrow, Elizabeth had fallen asleep but apparently she was now awake and staring at me with a curious stare.

“You’re not like the others.” She muttered.

I smiled weakly in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“The others. The other women. Used to be just the slutty ones he’d bring home. Ones that won’t get attached to him. My brother may be a heartless bastard but stupid women get attached to his face. The dense prefer out beauty to inner. I used to drag the insistent ones out of the house by the hair.” Elizabeth shuffled forward on her front then watched me with narrowed eyes. “But you, you sit so close to him and he even protected you.” Her eyes flittered over my hair, widening at finally realising what colour it was. “You’re a Silver. You can see what he thinks and you don’t look that stupid. Well not as stupid as the whores. So why are you with him? Why’d you bring him home?”

I didn’t like being compared to a whore and worse, I didn’t like hearing about the women Vincent had been with before me, but I found I couldn’t hate her. This girl was Vincent’s sister and neither was she horrible, just very angry and very lonely. I could feel the kindness and loneliness in her mind. It seemed the trait of being kind through tough love was something that ran through the family.

“Hurry up and tell me!” She snapped abruptly. “Thinking hurts at the moment!”

“Stop snarling, Elizabeth.” Vincent snapped from his chair, irritated at having been woken.

“You have no right to tell me what to do.” Elizabeth retorted.

“I may not but you will show little bit more respect to this woman.” He said savagely.

She bared her tiny fangs in rage; another similarity between the two siblings. “Why should I?”

“She is helping us, that’s why.” He snapped before he pushed himself onto his feet roughly. “I’m going to go feed.”

Without another word he stormed out of the room with Elizabeth hissing at him irritably. She cast me a glare before she hopped onto her feet and stumbled. She would’ve fallen if I hadn’t grabbed her mentally and steadied her. With a quick narrowed glanced, she waved for me to follow as she pottered into the neighbouring room. I followed wordlessly, sensing no harm coming from the girl, and found myself in a filthy bathroom.

“I apologise for the mess.” Elizabeth grumbled. “Peter usually did the cleaning. After he died and Vincent left me, I felt there was no point in cleaning. Or living now that I think about it.” With effort, she managed to get the water running and began to take the filthy clothes she wore off. “Brother should’ve never returned home.”

I frowned firmly when I felt her mind lightly. Reluctant joy and relief was filling Elizabeth when she realised Vincent had indeed come back home after four years of loneliness. She didn’t want to feel such happiness as the blame she stuck on him for Peter’s death told her to hate him. It seemed she had been living off the hate she had for Vincent for the last few years and now that it was crumbling rapidly, she was becoming slightly lost.

“Why should he not come home?”

“It was better without him here.” She snapped. “It was just me, Peter and my beer. It was fine.” She paused heavily then shot me a glare. “What’s it to you anyway? And why is my brother so defensive of you?”

My face flushed a little which Elizabeth only noticed once she had settled in the bath and turned her sharp familiar eyes onto me.

“Why are you blushing?” She asked in a strained tone.

“Vince defends me as I am needed alive at the moment.” I told her.

Her eyes narrowed further. “Vince? Since when has Vincent allowed nicknames. For that matter, since when has he defended a woman, demanded I show her respect and allow her to sleep so close to him. Just who are you?”

I hesitated slightly, not wanting to say something that might be wrong. “I am Eva Sinclair.”

Elizabeth stared in bewilderment for a moment. “A Sinclair? Thought they’d died out.”

“I was found over forty years ago.”

She shrugged sharply in reply. “Even when Peter was around, we never really bothered about the other Clans. We just concentrated on our own survival.” She said. “But being a Sinclair would not make Vincent act the way he does towards you. So, again, I ask who are you and what are you to him?”

“I am not sure to be honest.” I said softly. “He knows I love him and he has told me he returns the feelings but we haven’t had a chance to speak of it since the attack.”

“Wait, what?” Elizabeth said loudly, throwing herself at the edge of the bath so she could lean forward slightly and stared at me with wide, shocked eyes. “Vincent, my heartless brother who thought the concept of accepting a single woman as his lover was laughable, told you he loved you?”

I nodded slightly which made the gaze snap into a glare.

“Then either you’re really gullible or something has happened to Vincent to make him go crazy.”

I realised then Elizabeth had no idea what had happened to Vincent since he walked out on her. She had said so herself that her Clan kept to themselves and didn’t go out of their way to find out common knowledge of the Old World. She hadn’t even known about me until now and I very much doubted she would’ve sought information when she drinking herself to death.

“You do know Peter and Vincent were both poisoned, don’t you?”

Elizabeth’s head snapped up. “Peter died from fatal wounds inflicted by a witch and Vincent walked out on me. Neither of them were poisoned.” She said sharply.

“They were poisoned, Elizabeth. There is a group of humans creating a parasite. Your brothers were experiments. While Peter died from it, Vincent became a carrier.”

“What do you mean?” She asked hesitantly.

“Four years ago, Vincent was brought to me after killing numerous witches, vampires and wolves. He was completely mad and had a parasite taking over his mind. To keep himself alive, he asked that I put him under the First Penalty, not the Second. He wanted to avenge what had happened to Peter.”

Elizabeth had been silent but had curled up in the bath and was now refusing to look at me. “Doesn’t explain why Vincent left me. I would’ve helped him if he had told me he was sick.”

“Vincent left because the rage he was feeling at Peter’s death was making the parasite manifest. He told me he wanted to rip your throat out, Elizabeth. He left to protect you. It is only now he has come back because he has needed to as he is duty bound to me.”

At first Elizabeth half heartedly scrubbed her arms before she stopped altogether. “And what makes him bound to you?”

“I promised him I would keep him sane through the years in the First and find those who poisoned him.” I explained gently. “In return, he has been guarding me from a Lost Silver.”

She snorted to herself. “He’s an idiot, falling for a soft woman like you. You are not what I envisioned at all. I expected a powerful woman who was just as ruthless as he, not some sap.” She grumbled then sighed heavily. “You are being targeted by a Lost one, you say?”

“Yes.”

“And Vincent, under both obligation and desire, is protecting you by bringing you here?”

I nodded once.

“Then tell me, do you think he would’ve returned home by himself?”

I paused in thought, holding the gaze of Elizabeth as she watched me. “I am not sure. In time I guess he would’ve returned but I can’t say it would’ve been soon. He found the subject of his family too painful and it was only until yesterday I felt the extent of his guilt and sadness. I think he still wanted to believe Peter was alive. Coming home would only confirm his death.”

Elizabeth stared at me for a moment with calculating eyes, watching my face to see if I lied, until she turned and looked at the wall.

“Vincent shouldn’t have taken Peter out but what’s done is done.” She growled softly then stood sharply. “In return for you taking care of my stupid brother and bringing him home inadvertently, I will help protect you.” She announced.

Ignoring my surprised stare, she hopped out of the cold water and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around herself firmly. She made to leave but stopped just before me.

“Don’t tell him what I said about my obligation to help you.” She demanded before opening the door then pointed to her bedroom door. “Now go do what you want. I’ve got some clearing up to do.”

Without argument, I left Elizabeth to her thoughts, letting a small smile play on my mouth. Her hatred had died down dramatically and understanding now filled her alongside relief and a renewal of life. Knowing Vincent hadn’t abandoned her out of cowardice lifted a weight from her shoulder but the knowledge of the poison let in a horrible need for revenge. I felt sympathy for whoever created the poison as not only was Vincent baying for his blood but Elizabeth too. And her rage outdid Vincent’s by a mile. I doubted she was going to let that man die easily. She was going to make him suffer terribly first.

Slowly I made my way through the Blackburn house. Its scale was far smaller than mine but the elegance had once been there. Through neglect it had fallen apart and dirt covered the floor and furniture. A few rooms had been boarded up to prevent sunlight getting in but that was a total of four. The rest would be filled with light during the day and water when the rain poured in through the broken windows.

Eventually I came to a room that could’ve once been the study. Books lined the tall broad room and all were covered in dust. Out of curiosity and a need to clean them, I began to wipe away the thick four year layer of dust from each volume and read the spine of each book with interest. Time went by quickly as I cleaned away the dirt with my hand. My jeans grew increasingly filthy as I wiped the dust on my leg but I didn’t pay much attention to that. Dirt was something I was just going to have to get used to.

I could hear the loud sound of bottles crashing together as Elizabeth stomped around upstairs but even with that racket I could hear the soft footsteps of Vincent coming into the room. I glanced up at him as he prowled around me, his dark eyes locked on my face. To distract myself from his gaze, I turned my attention back onto the neglected books. It worked a little.

“Elizabeth seems a little less hostile.” He commented in an annoyed tone. “The fact she is no longer drunk does help but she should be going at my throat again. You said something, didn’t you?”

“I couldn’t not say anything.” I mumbled, wiping my hands roughly on my jeans. “All I did was tell her what had happened to you and why you have returned after so long.”

“And painted me in a good light, I guess.”

“I only told her the truth.”

“But with you everything is suddenly made good when you see something with those pretty eyes of yours.” He said irritably.

“Are you not happy that your sister knows the truth then?” I asked, partially turning to him to meet his dark agitated gaze.

He remained silent and instead of answering my question, he changed the subject. His mind however told me everything I needed to know and I smiled brightly at him, knowing he was happy about his sister being as hostile as she was before his family broke.

“How strong are you?” He asked abruptly.

I blinked, a little confused at the sudden question. “What do you mean?”

He scowled at me and frowned. “You have not fed for over a day now so I need to know how strong you are.”

“Oh, I’m fine.” I said doubtfully.

I had used my mind once today to stop Elizabeth from hurting herself. Without any blood, all my mental power would be shut off from me as I would not be able to control it from lack of vampire blood. As a test, I mentally reached out and grabbed one of the old books. Roughly I tugged it and my heart sunk when it only shifted a little. I tried my hardest to keep my face clear of disappointment but apparently I didn’t do a very good job.

“You have no strength, have you?” He stated darkly and in a tone I couldn’t argue with.

Limply I nodded. “I used it all up when I stopped your sister from falling.”

“You’re supposed reserve your strength for defending yourself.” Vincent snapped irritably. “Elizabeth would be fine even if she fell from the roof.” He shoved his hand through his hair before he scowled at my disappointed face. “I have been thinking, Eva.”

My heart skipped a beat. “About what?”

“Your blood intake should be increased.”

My eyes widened and my pulse increased, dreading slightly at what he was going to ask me. “What?”

“That power you have in you will be under control if you feed the necessary amount. That and I will feel at ease at leaving you alone if you are capable of defending yourself properly.”

“I won’t hunt, Vincent.” I said stubbornly as my old human mind took hold. “And I won’t bite anyone either.”

“I don’t want you to feed from a stranger, Eva. If anyone takes care of you, it’s me.” He said viciously.

“You want me to feed from you?” I asked dumbly. When he nodded I walked towards him rapidly while I shook my head repeatedly. “No, Vince. I won’t. I don’t want to hurt you.”

Vincent gave me a look that said I was being stupid. “You won’t hurt me, Eva, you can be sure of that.”

“But-“ I started but was silenced when he cupped my face with his hands and placed his thumb over my mouth.

“Answer these very simple questions, Eva.” He said impatiently. “Do you wish to have the ability to defend yourself?”

I hesitated before I answered, deciding it was better to be honest even if in the end he was going to get his own way. “Yes.” I mumbled.

“Do you wish to have more control over the power within you?”

“Yes, Vince.”

“And do you want to feed from complete strangers?”

“No.”

“Then where’s the problem? I won’t feel pain and you will gain the strength you need to protect yourself properly in case you are found.” He said a little testily.

I opened my mouth to argue but found no words came. I drew a blank. I couldn’t argue against him as I knew he was right. I needed the mental power to defend myself from the Lost one, Nuan even wanted me to, and I would much rather feed from Vince than any other vampire I knew.

I closed my eyes heavily and sighed in defeat. “Okay, I’ll feed.”

“Good.” He said and something along the lines of relief flittered across his strong features and mind.

“If I hurt you, you tell me to stop.”

“You couldn’t hurt me even if you tried.” Vincent said firmly.

Before I could reply, he roughly tugged me closer to himself then undid a few buttons at the top of his shirt. Pulling the material away, he leaned down so his neck was in easy reach for me. With his arms tightly circled around me, creating a steel like prison, he waited patiently as I mentally prepared myself.

His masculine scent filled my nose and the fact I could feel myself meshed against his body so clearly was making my concentration waver. Forcing myself to focus, I willed my vampiric teeth to lengthen. My fangs were small but even so, it felt strange to me. I very rarely have them showing as I have no need to. Never have I needed to intimidate someone nor did I bite people. Well, until now. I doubted this feed would be the last. Softly I kissed his neck and paused when I felt him stiffen. When he didn’t say anything, I let my lips press a few more times against his skin in apology before I opened my mouth and bit down.

The taste that filled my mouth shocked me. I didn’t gag like I thought I would, in fact I fell into some sort of blissful trance. The taste of Vincent’s blood was so warm and sweet yet sour at the same time. And it was something I knew I would need to taste again. I drank heavily and Vincent’s grip on me tightened as his breathing became thick and heavy. Eventually I forced myself to surface from the pleasurable feeling and forced my mouth to detach itself from Vincent’s neck. He exhaled sharply and shivered which alarmed me slightly.

“Vince, are you okay?” I asked, worried that I had hurt him while I fed.

“Shut up. Just let me concentrate.” He snapped more savagely than normal.

At first I was confused until I felt something pressing against my stomach. Realisation hit me and my face glowed brightly when I worked out Vincent had in fact felt the exact opposite of pain when I fed from him. In his mind I felt his struggle to keep himself from ripping my clothes off and doing what he wanted with me. Thankfully his will was stronger than his desire. But only just. I had heard when a vampire bit someone they loved, their love felt immense pleasure while the vampire would find their blood intensely appetising. Because of the feeling and connection, when a vampire chose a mate they would feed unnecessarily from their lover. I had just thought it was a myth though by watching my maids hunt and feed sometimes. Whoever they bit felt pain or nothing at all. But love was a powerful emotion to the immortals. It was hard to fall in love. Years had to go by before anything stronger than fondness could be felt. And once a vampire had fallen, it was very hard to fall out.

With a heavy beating heart and tight chest, Vincent abruptly let me go. Without so much as looking at me, he walked away having regained some control back. I only needed to widen my awareness in his mind to know he intended to have a long cold shower.

Sluggishly I went to sit in the cobweb covered chair behind the large desk and turned so I could look out through the rare glass window. Outside, rain drizzled from a dark sky above and the moon was strong and full. I could feel the strength growing within me. Just from one feed, the amount of power I was now connected to had increased dramatically. I could also feel that it would stay with me for a far longer period than just a day. Grudgingly, I decided Vince was right in bullying me to feed. I was stronger now and more likely to defend myself. That and I enjoyed the closeness and bliss of feeding from him. It made me feel warm and giddy inside.

Gently, I leaned back and closed my eyes, resting lightly after my lack of sleep the day before until a voice called for me. Smiling, I stood up and wondered out of the room, obeying the tiny childish voice of Elizabeth as she demanded my help in cleaning the old, decrepit house.