The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 41 (Epilogue)

Seven years later...

I lay in my bed, dozing slightly in the warmth of the late evening. Summer was strong and it was quite a hot one so the fans were on in my room and, now that the sun had set, the windows were open as wide as they could go. Summer always made vampires sluggish due to the lack of darkness during these months and the heat did not help either. It made me question how on earth Beriko could live in his African country so happily.

I rolled onto my back and let my arm take up the unoccupied space beside me. Vincent had risen early as usual to go prowl about the grounds. After Jonathan’s attempt to try and kill me and eat my heart he has been constantly watching the house for anything that remotely represented a threat. Not that anything had threatened me at all recently, just like the years before Jonathan became Lost.

At remembering my first, and so far, only kill, I curled into a ball with a slight sense of melancholy filling me. Nuan had to drill it into me that killing Jonathan as I did was the best thing I could’ve done for him. If he had eaten my heart and regained his emotions, he would’ve only killed himself at the knowledge of what he had done. And leaving him as an emotionless pit was not the best thing for him either. A Silver died when they become Lost because there was no other option available to them, not even life.

It had taken a long time for me to recover and Vincent at first was patient but eventually, in his usual tough love way, he began to get snappish with me and telling me I had to move on. Eventually I came round to his thinking and carried on with my life and I found the burden far easier to carry when Olivia, Jonathan’s mate, got involved. She had thanked me for letting him rest, as she had put it, and she was pleased his unborn child would grow up knowing who he once was and not what he became. I now and then went to Wales with Vincent to check up on her and her son, James. I had to admit I was a little disappointed when Jonathan’s son had grown to have the brunette hair of his mother but James would be protected all the same. A carrier of the Silver blood was just as important as the Silver itself.

I flinched and pushed myself up slightly when my bedroom door opened abruptly and Viorel came striding in. At seeing as content smile, I smiled to myself, pleased that he had grown well. He was less angry compared to his younger self although just as protective and selfless. I wasn’t sure why he had grown so relaxed but I had a feeling that it was Flavia, his old vampire childhood friend, who brightened his mood throughout the years and helped him become less uptight about the world around him. I was happy she had rubbed her calm and relaxed happy nature on to Viorel.

“She should be here soon.” He stated simply and implying strongly I should get up now.

I glanced outside and nodded. “I will organise myself then.”

He smiled and nodded, leaving me to shower and organise myself for our new arrival.

For the last seven years, Susan and Lucius had remained safe. The Elders still did not know of her existence and neither did they know that Lucius was now addicted to witch blood. I had been fearful for them but things seemed to be fine until recently. With the waking of the true head, Lucius had become very nervous for Susan’s and another girl’s safety. I couldn’t do anything until the Mother, as she was called, did something against her role but Vincent will be on standby if he was needed to step in. For the time being a young girl, who was the love of the Mother’s grandchild, Alphonse Rain, was to be sent to me for safe keeping. Lucius did not wish for her to be around for the Mother to murder. Human relationships were not acceptable to her and it was apparent killing was something she quite enjoyed.

I rapidly got myself dressed and willed my hair to dry then plaited it as I left my room. I padded down stairs and let my mind flit about to sense who was up and who was asleep. It didn’t surprise me when I felt all two of my maids milling about, cleaning and dusting, while Dana had left to go collect our visitor. Everyone within my household actually slept last night as a particular guest had watched over the house.

I wondered into the lounge to find Elizabeth, who had come to visit her brother, half drunk and sprawled out on the sofa. The child sat up and gave me a wonky smile before waving frantically.

“Hello sister.” She welcomed loudly.

“Good evening, Elizabeth.” I said frowning at the few beer bottles Vincent had no doubt given her. Ever since finding his sister such a mess, he had become quite soft on her and sometimes gave into her demands instead of not at all now. “You know we have a young human coming to stay with us.”

Elizabeth nodded. “I know and I will be good.”

“You promise. The girl is apparently timid. Having a drunk vampire child snapping at her will be a little overwhelming I think.”

Her hand waved to swat my worries away. “I will turn into the other me if that makes it any better. But I will be good. I won’t snap at her or tell her she’s a wimp from running away or that she’s a stupid child for falling in love with a Blue vampire.” She took a swig of her beer then shrugged her shoulders as she thought. “And I won’t tell her she’s stupid for falling in love full stop.”

I smiled gently. “Thank you. I don’t want her scared. I want her to feel comfortable here.”

Elizabeth snorted. “It’s not me you should be worrying about seeing as I don’t actually live here. Vincent is tall, dark and bloody terrifying for small human girls. You should be giving him the lecture, not me.”

“I will be, just don’t get too drunk. You get quite angry, short tempered and much too opinionated when you’re drunk.”

Elizabeth gave me a dark hard stare but she shrugged and nodded her head in grudging agreement. I wondered whether or not she would shift into her actual appearance, an ability her grandmother had taught her when she was very small. Keeping her childish form was an act of self defence. She would either be ignored or under estimated, giving Elizabeth the upper hand when she showed that she was, in fact, quite powerful. I hoped in a way Elizabeth did what she had offered. While her older self appeared to be just as imposing as Vincent was, at least the girl would be far less confused about the half drunk child sitting in my lounge.

With a thankful smile, I left the room but did stop when I saw Sonia and asked her to keep any eye on Elizabeth’s intake of beer. Her version of not a lot was bordering on way too much. Leaving Sonia to look after and entertain Elizabeth, I stepped outside in search of Vincent.

It did not take me too long to hunt him down and I enjoyed the walk through my gardens. The night was warm and dark which soothed me. I always enjoyed it when I could walk about outside in a slight breeze. Walking at a slow pace, I eventually found Vincent coming back from the western side of the grounds.

He stopped when he saw me, allowing me to walk lightly up to him and take his hand in mine. I half guided his hand to my face to allow him to cup my cheek in our usual way of greeting. I gazed up at him happily while Vince stared down at me with his usual dark expression. Vincent had not changed over the years much. The only thing that was different was that his hair was a little longer and that he was beginning control his parasite better. Either that or he was confident enough in himself with me being around Lucius. I didn’t feel the doubts of himself like he had all those years ago, that I deserved better and would never love him. He knew now I had chosen him and would choose no other and that made him truly happy, even if he didn’t show it.

“How long?” He asked in a low tone, letting his thumb brush my lower lip absentmindedly.

“Not long I don’t think. Dana has been gone for a while now.” I told him, trying my hardest to ignore the usual warmth that filled my body whenever I saw him. “Just try your best not to be so brooding.”

Something along the lines of a smile tugged at his mouth before his annoyed scowl settled in. “I do not brood.”

I smiled broadly at his blatant denial. “Then try to be patient with her. She might be a little sad so she will need kindness to help her settle down. We don’t know how long she will be with us, after all.”

“Then I will leave the compassion to you.” He said but took it back when he saw my sad frown. “I will try, Eva, but patience and kindness are not my areas. They’re yours.”

“You are kind, Vincent. You just have a complicated version of it.” I mumbled.

I glanced up, sensing something warm swell within him, but was silenced before I could say anything when Vincent leaned down and pressed his mouth on mine. As usual, Vincent’s passionate kiss made my mind blank and my body hot and fuzzy. No matter how many times I had been kissed by him over the years, my reaction of pure pleasure was still the same.

Slowly he lifted his head, breaking the kiss reluctantly and taking pride from the flushed yearning expression on my face.

“I will try to be kind to the girl.” Vince said in a husky voice.

His tongue touched my swollen lip before his mouth latched hungrily onto mine again, sending me into a dream like state of bliss. I was quite happy to remain in his arms and let him continue to kiss me urgently for a long time however my mind detected Dana’s return with new comers.

“Vince, they’re here.” I managed to say in-between his firm and insistent kisses.

With an irritated growl he pulled back and cast a glare back at the house. “Then you should go greet the girl.”

“We, Vincent, we should go greet her.” I said firmly.

He turned his scowl onto me before he sighed heavily when I gripped his hand and dragged him after me. My mind reached out to those within the house, alerting them to Dana’s return. I felt Sonia grow a little worried by how annoyed Elizabeth was now at having her beer taken from her. The child was sitting in the lounge, demanding where her beer was rather irritably. Having heard the approach of the car, Livia was standing with Viorel by the front door who was feeling a little happier than normal. That was more than enough to give away the fact he had been speaking with Flavia again. That woman influenced him so much it was scary, but I was thankful it had done him good. She gave him some enjoyment in his life other than the constant self claimed duty to keep me safe and happy.

I grabbed Sonia as soon as I came into the house and towed her into the hallway with the others. Sonia went to stand by Livia who was waiting by the stairs and gave me a wide smile in welcome. Viorel had gone outside to greet them and help Dana with her task of bringing their belongings in.

I wasn’t surprised when Vincent retreated to a dark wall and leant against it, watching with narrowed eyes. He didn’t like strangers and especially ones sent by Lucius. While his jealously may have died down, he still was determined to not get on with Lucius.

Elizabeth came stumbling into the hallway and her eyes latched onto Vincent almost instantly. Walking over to her brother, she launched herself at him and clung to his waist.

“They took my beer.” She whined pathetically.

“You’re drunk enough, Elizabeth. You don’t need anymore.” He said firmly.

She stared up at him and bared her tiny fangs. “I am not drunk!” She snapped.

He growled in annoyance. “You’re drunk.” He snarled and roughly picked her up when she almost slid onto the floor.

She wriggled a bit but collapsed in his arms. Her head rested on his shoulder with an irritated frown on her face, scowling but not bothering to fight. I smiled at the siblings warmly which was replied with a hostile glare by both. Neither of them liked to be seen as soft, in fact they loathed it.

My attention turned back to the open front door when the sound of voices grew louder. Viorel was the first to enter alongside two young male vampires Lucius had told me would guard my guest and give her something familiar.

Dana came next while propelling a young girl with messy blond hair before her. She stumbled over the threshold and froze when she saw me. With a hesitant smile, she waved her hand timidly.

“You must be Ella.” I said warmly.

Ella nodded. “And you’re Eva.”

“I am.”

She smiled brightly at me but froze when she saw Vincent in the shadows. I felt fear shimmer within her at the unhidden strength and his hard-hearted nature, sensing something within him that made old nightmarish memories to resurface. It didn’t help that he was scowling still and generally looking very intimidating, even with his little sister in his arms. She smiled weakly at him and he returned it with a sharp nod.

Viorel stepped forward quickly and took her hand gently. “I will show her around the house, Eva. It will help her adjust.” He said meaningfully.

I smiled faintly, upset that she had reacted to Vincent so fearfully, but agreed.

“Ella, Dana will take your things upstairs to your room. Viorel will guide you around my home and show you where everything you need is. But if you need anything, just call myself, Vince or the maids. We’ll come to you and do what we can.”

“Thank you.” Ella said.

Without looking back at Vincent, Ella let herself be guided by Viorel with one of her vampire guards following.

“She is easily intimidated it seems.” Dana commented darkly.

“No, she is just sensitive.” I told her. “She is the survivor of a parasite attack and may have lost someone important. She just recognised what was inside Vincent like most humans can after going through an attack.”

While I knew this after floating about in Ella’s mind, I was still saddened that she was so scared of Vincent. As my maids shuffled about me, organising the bags and showing the other guard to Ella’s room, Vincent approached me with the half unconscious Elizabeth still in his arms. Freeing one hand, he wrapped an arm around my waist lightly and let his forehead resting against my head.

“Don’t be sad, Eva. She is young and human and, like you said, knows what hides in me. It is only natural for her to be scared.” He said firmly.

“I know.” I said, hugging myself and closing my eyes. “I just hope the fear won’t stop of from seeing the actual you.”

A light chuckle rumbled from his chest while a disgusted groan echoed from Elizabeth.

“If you’re going to get mushy, let me go first. I want to be unconscious somewhere where I don’t have to witness or listen to this stupidity.” She growled irritably.

As she commanded, Vincent put her on the floor. She swayed for a moment but managed to propel herself into the lounge without falling over and I watched the small child wobble away with worry gnawing at me.

“You don’t think she’ll remain alone for the rest of her live, will she?” I asked.

“Someone will get to her, even if she uses her child form as a barrier.” He replied then leaned down and nuzzled my neck affectionately. “Now go find Ella. I know you want to get to know her and ensure she settles.”

I fidgeted slightly as the sadness at Ella’s fear of Vincent returned. Vincent growled at me in annoyance, slightly baring his fangs when he sensed my melancholy.

“Stop that. I will try to help Ella adjust to me but don’t be sad about her fear. There’s no need.” He said impatiently and pushed me forward a little towards where Ella had gone. “I will give her space for the time being.”

I half turned to look at him with concern but he looked perfectly calm. He stood there; tall, proud and powerful and a warm feeling of love filled me soothingly. I stepped up to him and reached up to his face, pulling him down without resistance to kiss him lightly.

“I’ll make sure she is comfortable around you before she leaves.” I promised softly.

“That’s quite unnecessary but if it keeps you entertained then fine.”

I smiled and kissed him once more before I let him go and began to head back into the house. “It might be best to take Elizabeth to her room.”

“I was going to.” He said with a little annoyance at the fact his sister was drunk yet again. With one dark yet warm look at me, Vincent disappeared into the lounge where his sister had collapsed on the floor.

With a glowing feeling filling me, I reached out to find Ella and Viorel and headed in the direction of the gardens to begin my task of healing Ella’s fears of parasites. I was determined that she would know Vincent as a man, not a monster. He was a gentle, warm and loving and I felt truly content at having him by my side and I wanted Ella to see that he would never harm her.

Stepping out in the warm night, I walking lightly to find my adopted son, taking pride in my growing family. My clan would grow and return to the strength it once was before my time and I would no longer be alone. I wasn’t alone now. And I wouldn’t be alone in the future.

After so much that had happened to me and those around me, I was finally truly content with my life.

I was happy being the Queen of the Clans and Vincent’s mate.

I was happy being a vampire.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas to you, readers :3 Hope you enjoyed the story and will check up on the other stories I have planned for this 'series'. Thank you so much for reading it all the way through and thank you to those you commented!!!

(Original Run: 15/17/10 - 25/12/10)