The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 6

I slept fitfully through the remainder of the night and woke early. The window was open with a cold breeze billowing in, throwing the thin curtains about and dragging in the dawn bird song. I shivered and huddled under my thick quilt however when my mind languidly reached out into the silent house I felt a strange calm. At first I thought nothing by it, just smiled that nothing had threatened the house and tried to return to sleep however my eyes snapped open when I realised that the calm meant Blackburn was no longer raging.

Almost at once I worked out what I had been waiting for and tried my hardest to smoothly launch myself out from the depths of my stupidly large bed. Needless to say that I struggled and tripped, falling hard onto the floor. Sonia, who was wondering about outside my room, rushed in with her long knife out. Her eyes darted about the room before the settled on my untangling myself from the sheet.

“What are you doing Lady?” She asked in an exasperated tone, tucking the knife away and quickly coming to my side to help me.

I smiled warmly at her and didn’t bother to struggle when she hauled me onto my feet. “Blackburn is calm.” I said quickly and nearly fled the room however her small dark hand reeled out at my flailing wrist and latched onto me.

“You get yourself showered first.” Sonia told me firmly and with a look that she wouldn’t take no as an answer.

I sighed heavily while I was dragged towards the open door revealing the white tiled bathroom. She unceremoniously shoved me inside, leaving me to shower, scrubbing my body hard until it glowed but even after I dressed myself in my usual attire of a frilly light summer dress that wasn’t enough. She forced me to sit in front of the mirror and attacked my tangled wet hair with a comb. I tried not to wince but failed every time. I didn’t bother to fight Sonia off though. Her dark face was etched in an expression which I knew meant she was not going to give up. When it came to hair Sonia was strangely obsessive.

Ten minutes later I was allowed to leave. My hair was dry and styled in my usual French plait which trailed down my back, swaying back and forth in my quick movements through the house. My eyes trailed over to Dana who was approaching the bottom of the stairs as I climbed down them. She looked worried but stern, knowing while the task of speaking to Blackburn is dangerous it was vital that we did.

Dana smiled weakly at me and handed over my morning tea. “Did you sleep well, Lady?” she asked.

I scrunched up my nose and shook my head. “I slept terribly.”

She nodded. “It looks it.” She commented then sighed heavily. “I am guessing you will want to see Blackburn.”

“Yes. This evening is when Margot will come for him. I only have twelve hours to get the information that I need.”

“But will he last that long?” Sonia asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know how long he will last but I will keep a fair distance from him. I won’t go near him. The only time I will is when Margot is around to check his wounds.” I took a large mouthful of tea, nearly draining the cup before I continued. “And I will stand by what I said yesterday. I will go alone.”

I heard Sonia hiss, without a doubt baring her fangs, while Dana’s frown deepened.

“We will follow what you feel is right, Lady.” She said quietly, bowing slightly then taking the empty cup.

I smiled at her reassuringly then turned to head to the dungeon, letting Dana follow after muttering to Sonia to find Livia. They would wait outside the door as they promised, listening and waiting to come my defence if need be. I trusted them to.

I lightly walked down the steps while eating from the small bowl Dana hand handed me when we swept into the kitchen. She refused to allow me to enter their without something in my stomach while not knowing how long I would be. I ate the small pieces of fruit happily and grateful that Dana had made me eat. I had not realised how hungry I was.

She stopped me before the old oak door by gently placing her large, slim hand on my shoulder and stopped me from opening the door easily.

“We must wait Lady. Once Livia and Sonia are here will I feel a little more comfortable with you going in alone.” She told me honestly.

I nodded and didn’t argue, instead finished off the fruit. “Do not let Viorel enter. Allow him to wait with you but not too close. Blackburn may lose it again and I don’t want him to remember his past.”

Dana smiled at me with warmth in her eyes. “He probably remembers by just thinking about Blackburn now.” She said gently. “But Viorel is strong. He will overcome his fears, Lady.” She added when she noticed the flicker of sadness dart over my face.

I chewed my lip but knew she was right. Viorel was young but he was growing. He was going to be a fine man in a few years time, I knew. I hoped that when he reached adulthood he would fledge and leave this house to find a life of his own that does not involve vampires and other strange creatures or life threatening experiences. I wanted to see him have a family of his own, to see him live in the human world, but I had to wait. It was still early and I was quite unwilling to let him go. He made my life far more bearable to live. Without him I would’ve sought the release years ago, allowing my soul to leave my body while I slept and die peacefully. I never told my maids this. They would’ve flipped if they knew. Only the Ancients consider letting themselves die after they had lived a full life. I was not even one but before Viorel I was not happy. I had nothing to do with my long life. I could not dictate the people I did not know about so at first I studied them. But by studying them I grew more distant with realisation at how different from them I was, by both my mind and being a Silver. But Viorel gave me a life to nurture, to try and help and protect. It gave me meaning. And so did Blackburn in a strange way. There were wounds on the inside and outside of the man, rage that flared for no reason that mimicked that of a parasite. I had to admit I found him strangely interesting.

I tilted my head to observe the lonely door as these thoughts trundled about in my mind and looked up only when I heard the soft light footsteps of Livia and Sonia patter down the wooden spiral steps.

“We’re here now, Lady.” Sonia said gruffly, twiddling with the handle of her long knife. “You can now go and start your interrogation.”

I smiled once, trying to smooth their worries. “If anything happens I will defend myself.” I said reassuringly.

I ignored the doubt that fluttered about them and turned from them, gripping the rusting door handle firmly and pushed it open, stepping into the dank dark gloom alone.