The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 8

When told the Elder’s were now ready, I panicked at first. I was not prepared. I needed some more time to prepare. To go before the Elder’s and use the power I felt I had not right to, and to do something so barbaric, scared me. And if I took the power of the mantle once then the Elder’s would think I had accepted my name and duty.

Sharply I shook my head and clapped my hands over my face hard. That was selfish talk. If I was to keep my end of the bargain I had to demand that Vincent was placed under the First Penalty. I had no choice. And maybe being forced onto my mantle was a good thing even if it was a little terrifying.

Suddenly I felt something warm in my mind, something comforting and calming. I blinked heavily, confused. There was no one in this house who could comfort the mind and heart by thought, no one else had my talent. Expect for the person who was currently connected. I turned my face slowly to look at Vincent who hadn’t moved and still resting contentedly and purposely ignoring me.

Smiling knowingly and mentally thanking him, I followed Dana out from the dungeon, keeping close. She was wary and on edge which was no surprise. She knew something was going, that I something important had happened. And while she was kept in the dark her manner would be sharp and impatient. She hated being kept out of the loop where I am concerned.

Keeping my mind connected with Vincent and blocking the dark cloud from his consciousness, I trotted through my house to the main hall where I was welcomed haughtily by Margot and numerous male vampires. I was surprised to see an older vampire, a tall muscular male whose hair was white as snow, indicating that his physical strength was far less than what it appeared.

I grinned warmly at him and gave a small wave. “It is good to see you Vasco.” I said happily.

My fellow Silver blood blankly stared at me, not saying a word, but he nodded sharply all the same, a normal welcome from the silent man. My attention however was sharply taken by Margot when her voice exploded from her mouth.

“You have not been down there with him have you?” Margot demanded incredulously.

I smiled and nodded. “He is calm, Margot, so there is no need to panic.”

“Panic?” She snapped savagely. “I am not panicking, Lady, I am furious! How could you put yourself at risk?” She roared while crossing the short distance between us in sharp strides. “When I asked you take care of him, I did not mean in person!”

“Margot, I am well, he on the other hand is not so fortunate.” I said, still smiling although a sad frown nearly took over. “But he was calm and civil towards me when I was with him.” I ignored the snort from Dana as she remembered the threat in our first encounter.

Margot still glared, obviously not soothed by my reassurance but she set that aside and went straight to the point of her visit in her normal business like manner. “We have come for him anyway. He is to be set before the Elder’s and will pay for his crimes.”

I nodded understandingly and watched helplessly as she indicated for the five strong vampires to come with her. I waited by the stairs with Dana beside me and Vasco standing at the door silently. Dana wrapped her fingers through mine, trying her best to keep me calm but my worry continued to rampage. I was worried about myself; about Vincent; about what the poison meant. And I had a horrible feeling that this single incident was the start of many.

I had not realised I was clinging to warm solid essence of Vincent until he spoke, his deep voice resonating in my mind.

'For starters you don’t need to worry about me. I do this for my brother and the other lives I was forced to take. All you need to be concerned about is the poison and who created it.' He said firmly, almost scolding me.

I squeezed Dana’s hand and nodded. 'I know. I just hope when the time comes to waking you your mind is still intact.'

'We shall worry about it if and when that happens.' He said.

I nodded, agreeing with him. It was no use worrying about that now. I had to focus on what was right in front of me and that was standing up against the Elder’s.

I raised my head and fixed my eyes on Vincent when he was brought into the hallway. The shackles were still clamped around his wrists and his strong arms were being gripped by two of the old males. I was surprised at how calm he was. He was asking me to put him under the First Penalty, something that will happen as I would not be questioned, and his heart was beating slowly, his mind was soothingly blank and his resolve was firm. He was perfectly composed and standing with pride.

Margot took my attention from Vincent being taken from my home when she came to stand in front of me.

“Thank you for guarding him, Lady.” She said sharply before she turned and left with Vasco following unhurriedly behind her.

I stared in silence, unmoving while my heart was begin to race as Dana dropped my hand and smoothly shut the door. My heart sunk. Vincent was gone, just as quickly as he had arrived. My mind had retreated when Vasco nudged me, taking control of my duty of keeping his rage under control. I was reluctant in leaving the warm sold mind but I did all the same.

My thoughts however were brought to a stop when Dana rapidly turned on me with her narrow eyes squinting.

“What is it you are planning, Lady?” She asked tightly.

I glanced at her and raised my finger to my mouth when I heard the sound of rampaging footsteps tearing about upstairs, getting closer and closer to me. I looked up and smiled weakly when I saw Viorel darting down the stairs with Livia and Sonia close behind him having let him out of their grasp now Blackburn had left.

He skidded on the wooden floor to come to a sharp stop just before me. He hesitated only once before he wrapped his arms around my neck, shocking me slightly at how tall he was now.

“I am glad you’re okay, Eva,” He gushed out. “I was scared something would happen to you.”

Warmth filled me at his fear for me and I gently pushed him away so I could look at him in the eye.

“You have nothing to fear Viorel. Vincent was calm after allowing my help.” I told him.

Viorel looked stunned. “Vincent?”

“Yes, that is his name but do not judge him. There is far more to his killings than a cold blooded rampage.” I said, my tone becoming glum.

“Come sit Lady,” Dana said quickly, taking a few steps forward to take my arm and give a warning glance to the maids and Viorel who were about to pelt me with questions. “We shall get you some tea and you can explain what happened between yourself and Blackburn.”

Livia and Sonia took the hint and swept away into the kitchens while I was taken into the neighbouring room and made to sit on one of the soft sofas. Dana stood opposite me, her eyes closed as she waited patiently for Sonia and Livia, while Viorel fidgeted beside me. I knew he was not impressed. He both feared and hated Vincent for numerous reasons.

I glanced up and watched as Sonia came cluttering in with a china tray, placing it on the coffee table before me. Livia came to my side as she always did while Sonia fiddled around with the tea set and finally handle me one of the dainty cups then stepped away. Dana did not wait long to launch into her demands.

“Now tell us,Lady, what is happening? I feel it is something you are not comfortable with.”

My eyes stayed on hers before they swerved down to observe the brown liquid in my cup.

“Something bad has happened. Something very bad.” I told them. “Vincent was involved in a battle alongside his only brother against a witch. This battle ended with both of them being stabbed by a poison laced knife which resulted in one brother dying violently and the other being thrown into madness.”

Instantly everyone in the room was shocked and a dark heavy cloud of ominous silence filled the room.

“You’re sure, Lady?” Livia asked. “A poison that can affect our kind is non-existent.”

“I was doubtful but what I found in his mind is true. A demon that only plagues the Grey bloods is now crouching there, like a black fog in his mind. He can’t fight it. Once it acts and decides to envelope him he stands no chance and becomes a parasite.” I said and sipped my tea.

While Sonia was becoming angry and Livia fearful, Dana remained calm, keeping her head cool as her mind worked. “Did he give the name of the witch?”

“No but I skimmed his memories. I have all the information I need to start my end of the bargain.”

“Your bargain?” Livia echoed, shocked. “You made a deal with him?”

I nodded. “I had no choice so do not get angry.” I appealed, my words mostly aimed at Sonia. “To get him to open up to me and allow my help I had to make a pact. In return for the knowledge of his past, I agreed to be at the trial and search for the one behind this poison.”

“Most likely to get out of death.” Viorel muttered in an acidic tone.

“That’s correct Viorel but not in the way you are thinking.” I swallowed some tea to wet my suddenly dry throat. “Vincent has demanded that when they say he is to be put under the Second Penalty, I am to change that.”

“To what?” Dana asked suspiciously.

“The First Penalty.”

“Is he mad?!” Sonia yelled. “He actually asked to be put under the First? No one would even dream of doing that!”

“I know which is why I am willing to help him.” I said far calmer than what I felt. My heart was thumping at the prospect of Vincent being thrown into a nightmarish abyss. “He needs to live to avenge his only brother and rare clan member. In his family there is now only himself and his sister, they are the Blackburn clan.”

“An extraordinarily small clan.” Livia muttered.

“Then you can understand why he so desperately wants to kill the man who killed his brother and who cursed his mind to madness.”

Sonia grumbled her agreement while Dana and Livia remained silent.

“Tell me Lady, what are you planning to do while he is under the First Penalty?” Livia asked softly.

“Numerous things.” I said vaguely before I listed them in more detail. “I shall be looking for an antidote, creating it if I must, for the poison. The second is staying in Vincent’s mind. I will help keep his sanity together. There is no point in waking him only to find him lost or un-functioning.” I sighed heavily and rubbed my temple, findings these tasks quite burdening. “My third task is finding out who is behind this. We must get as much information on them as possible. Once I know, I will wake Vincent and he will kill him.”

“Do you not think it is wise to tell the Elders?” Viorel offered hopefully.

“No, Viorel. This is a promise I made to Vincent but also I will not go to them until I have solid evidence of a threat. At the moment it is quite small but the knowledge they have is threatening. If we can find them and deal with them quickly then there is no need to alarm the Clans. I will tell a Family, get them to help me and warn them of the betrayal, but mostly this is for us to do.” I said as firmly as I could.

While Livia and Viorel looked uncertain, Sonia and Dana looked approving, obviously agreeing with my decision.

“Of course we will help, Lady, and keep this among ourselves. Only when the threat becomes far too dangerous to keep hidden that it would deem stupid would I advise you to tell anyone.” Dana said.

I nodded and stood suddenly, smoothing down my dress and hair. “Then we should go. It takes about two hours to get to the Elder’s domain from here and the dawn is approaching.” I sighed lightly then smiled lightly, trying my hardest to brush away my worries. “It would not do if they kill Vincent.”

My maids instantly reacted and shuffled the tray away as they organised themselves to leave. I placed my sandals and did not stop Viorel as he darted upstairs to grab whatever he needed. He would be safe in the Elder’s home and I needed his presence near me for support.

I waited patiently for them in the hallway, swaying back and forth, watching my dress swirl about my knees. Absentmindedly I reached out and found the link connecting myself to the other two Silvers and followed the steely thread of Vasco’s connection. Gently I nudged him, alerting him to my presence. As usual he said nothing, just sent me a trickle of emotion to greet me.

'I am coming to the trial Vasco. Do not let the Elder’s start it without me.'

Again he silently acknowledged me but this time I felt more emotion seep out from him. Confusion, surprise and intrigue was what I felt from before I quickly cut the link from Vasco.

I blinked slowly then looked up to see Viorel standing beside with an expression that told me he was not completing settled with what I had promised. I smiled warmly in an attempt to calm him and took his hand, pushing the door open and stepping out in the cool dark night with my maids close behind.

Gently I begged that this worked, that Vincent was ready for the First Penalty and that I was ready to face my duty.