Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 23

Having grudgingly decided that asking Eva about finding a cure for the Master’s addiction, someone who has their foot in the door with the Elders and just generally quite an important entity within the Clans, was the best thing, I had instantly run head first into a new problem.

I did not know a way of contacting her. I knew there was a number for her and an address however I did not know these by heart, mostly because I ignored Eva’s existence since I met her a few years ago. I knew the study would be the place to look however the master rarely left it and with my inability to wake properly during the day now, I could not sneak in while he slept. It also did not help with the fact that the Master and Alphonse had me working my arse off and making sure I had no free time what so ever. Constantly they had me scrubbing floors, doing the laundry, cleaning windows and polishing silver. They even had me in the kitchen for a day which both irked me and the head cook who continuously snapped at me about my unwanted presence in his domain.

Needless to say I have been rather short-tempered with the Master. I left the bond slightly open only so he could feel the annoyance and anger that boiled away inside me. I knew why they were doing this to me though. It did not take a genius to work it out. With Morrigan awake my safety in the house was uncertain. And the only way they could protect me was to make sure I was as far from her as possible which for some odd reason meant I was to work myself to death.

I was currently cleaning fireplace of one of the larger lounges as I was mulling over my thoughts and working myself into a rage. The handful of other maids who were working around me noticed and made sure they were as far from me as possible. I did not blame them. I was notorious for my foul moods and sharp tongue around the house which made people wary of me. And now being a Black blood vampire on top of that seemed to turn peoples wariness into mild fear. Not that I cared. People keeping their distance from me meant I could have peace and quiet.

It was as I was roughly cleaning the poker that the bond opened and the aster’s voice echoed in my mind.

'Susan, the Mother is calling a gathering of the Clan into the ballroom.' He said glumly.

'Really? And how does this involve me?' I replied testily.

'It doesn’t but something will go wrong, I know it will. You are not to approach the ballroom, no matter what you hear, understood?'

I muttered under my breath and shoved the poker back into its metal hanger before snapping my acceptance through the bond. In reply I received a mental pat on the head for my obedience and then silence which just annoyed me even more. My angry mutterings grew angrier and louder afterwards, scaring the other maids further more. It took a few moments for realisation to hit me and forced me to freeze.

He said the Clan was being summoned which meant he was leaving the study for a while. My eyes lit up. This was the chance I had been waiting for.

I stood sharply and turned to the cowering maids, patting down my sooty apron.

“I am going to complete a task the Master has just set me.” I said simply, glaring at those who would question.

They didn’t of course. Everyone knew of the bond and how we could communicate through it so he didn’t need to see me in person to give me an order. After they had bowed their heads in a silent acceptance and I took my leave and half ran through the house towards the study. Luckily it was a fair distance from the ballroom and would give me time to flee if I felt him coming. Not that that would do me any good. If I could feel him then he would most certainly be able to feel me.

I quickly snuck in after briefly pausing and pressing my ear to the door to determine whether or not anyone was inside. I cast my eyes around as I gently closed the door behind me. I focused them on the large oak desk of the Master and decided that should be the beginning of my search.

With quiet steps I approached the desk and threw the first drew open and began to rummage. I found mostly paperwork for his work and a couple of pens but nothing of interest. The second draw was more or less the same until something odd about its base caught my attention. With my sharp vampire eyes I saw a square at the bottom of the draw. I gently fingered the side and could feel a gap, as if it was a small compartment. I hesitated before I continued and glanced up to the door and back to the tiny compartment. Eva’s contact details would not be hidden so there was no reason for me to pry, although it would depend if there was anything hidden in there that would decided whether or not I was in fact prying. However, curiosity was getting the better of me. With one quick motion so I would not change my mind, I pressed one edge of the square, which coincidently was the one I needed to press as it clicked open. I tilted my head in intrigue when I saw a small piece of folded paper. With gentle fingers and took it from its nest and turned it over to see if there was anything written on it. There was. In swirling black ink was the master’s name.

I stood there for a moment, wondering whether or not to read this secret letter, my interest perked up as to who the mystery sender could be. However my mind came to a grinding halt when anger began to seep through link. With concern, I gently nudged him but was shoved back roughly. I growled, annoyed at his rough and dismissive action but then something suddenly exploded into the atmosphere.

Screams of horror ripped out from the house and fear seeped in thick waves from the ballroom. And blood. There was a thick stench of vampire blood intoxicating the air so quickly that I knew there was more than just one person’s blood spilt.

Fearing for the master and the clan’s safety, I darted from the study to find out what the hell just happened, stuffing the paper thoughtlessly into my apron pocket. However I skidded to a halt when the master opened the link once again.

'You do as you promised Susan and stay!' He said darkly, not bothering to hold his rage and sorrow back.

'You never told me someone would get hurt!' I snarled.

'I said something bad would happen. That is explanation enough. Now don’t make me order you to stay away from here because I will if you come!'

I bared my fangs, knowing he making a serious threat and hating that I could not help him with whatever was happening in the ballroom.

'Why is there so much blood Lucius?' I demanded.

'The Mother is enforcing her rule again. Any who do not see her as the Head will die.' He said bluntly.

My face paled. 'How many are dead?'

'Four currently.' He said hesitantly. 'I hope the rest of the young ones will have the brains to just accept that she is the Head not me.'

I wrapped my arms around myself and gripped my dress sleeves hard in both distress and anger. 'How can she kill her own family? She is meant to care for them and make sure they reach maturity. It is what every clan Head does.'

'She only wants power and the ability to destroy. That is who she is Susan.' He said soothingly, gently wrapping his mind around my raging and wailing thoughts, trying to calm me.

'Is there nothing we can do to protect the Clan?' I asked, calming slightly.

'No, apart from hope they learn not to anger or disobey Morrigan quickly.'

A thought popped into my head, a thought that enflamed my rage again. 'Why did you not warn them? And why don’t they know you are not the real Head?' I demanded savagely.

'I was ordered not to. I cannot tell anyone of the Mother. It entertains her when she wakes and new vampires find out she is the Head and not the kind carer who had replaced her temporarily.' He said regretfully. 'If I could I would’ve told them.'

I fell silent as my rage was deflated by his gentle comment. 'I very much would like her dead already.' I muttered.

He seemed to stiffen. 'Do not attack her Susan! If you attack her I will have no choice but to defend her. Please don’t corner me.'

'It’s okay Lucius. I won’t do anything stupid and fight her. I don’t think I will win against a 20 year old vampire.' I said, sighing heavily.

He laughed gently. 'Agreed. Now go rest Susan. Things are calming down here. And please, do not worry yourself over the clan. I will keep things together as my brother used to.'

I hesitated before I nodded. The sun was rising, I could feel it through my tiring body. As a Black blood I was far more sensitive to the time of day. I could not keep myself awake when the sun was rising unlike the master and the rest of the Red blood vampires in the Clan.

'Very well, master. If you need anything just call me.' I mumbled.

I felt him smile and flood me with warmth and reassurance before he retreated and closed off the link. But not before I felt his sorrow overshadow him as he turned back to the grim reality that was held within the ballroom.

Yawning widely and battering down my concern, I turned and headed towards my dorm. I was ecstatic when I found out I would not be moved from where I had been sleeping for the past few years. I would find sleeping on a nice fluffy mattress annoying and would miss the sharp springs of my iron bed.

As soon as I entered I stripped and dressed quickly, my body getting wearier as the sun began to rise. I nearly got into bed if my eyes had not picked up the letter poking out from the apron pocket. With sluggish movements I swept up the note and sat heavily on the creaking bed.

Too tired to think about how invasive this was, I un-folded the note and read sleepily.

Brother,

She knows about us. She is summoning the family she is the leader of, which means they will come face to face. I fear the worst. She will make me turn her and then control her through me. She will turn her into a toy, something to harm me with mentally. I cannot take that Lucius. I need you to return home, to make sure that is not her intention. If it is, I ask that you end our suffering before it begins. And the child, I don’t think she knows of her existence yet. Take her, take her far from here, somewhere safe.

Please, I need you to return home. Before everything is destroyed beyond saving.

Dunstan

Slowly confusion began to burn in my mind. It was a note to Lucius from his brother and the old master, Dunstan. It was filled with so much fear, regret and despair that it tugged at my emotionless heart.

My head snapped up when I heard voices and footsteps. The other maids were returning to the dorm. I quickly folded the note and shoved it down the front of my dress and then curled myself up in bed, feigning sleep.

However my worried mind was whirring as a lay still. And I now knew something really did happen to Alphonse’s parents. Something bad.