Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 24

The mop slapped against the stained floor with a wet smack as I wiped away the dry blood with grim determination. Myself, Mo and four others who could hold their stomachs well were ordered to clean the gore covered ballroom. Luckily for us the four poor youngsters had been removed and burned hours before. However the stench of blood still hung at the air like a limpet and it made me want to cry in rage. I still could not believe what that woman had done to her own charges. She was meant to look after them not kill them. I quickly cought myself when I stumbled gently as my head suddenly switched off as sleep battered its way in. I rammed my awarness back into action and continued to clean, ignoring the concerned look of Mo who worked near by.

I had slept fitfully. The feeling of dark cold eyes burning me as they watched never faded, strengthening if anything as the day wore on. I vaguely remember waking briefly and seeing a figure standing beside my bed. They stood tall with an air of power and malice and a terrible terrible thurst to kill. Because of this disturbing incident, something that could've just been conjured up from my inner fears of my changing life, I was left extraordinarly jumpy and irritable the next evening.

It also did not help my mood when I found the letter hidden in my bosom. I litteraly screamed in irritation when I realised what I had done. Yes I took out of a moment of curisity however I now had to get it back without being noticed or face the Master's justified wrath. And I doubted I would get another chance like I had yesterday again. And then I remembered why I was waiting for a chance to be in the study alone. Eva's contact.

Having failed in getting Eva's contact, read something I blatantly shouldn't have, sat by as four youngester were torn to pieces and may have the possibility of having something stalk me, rage blossomed inside me. In a fit of anger I kicked the soapy bucket over, creating a mini wave of white suds and red water across the ballroom floor. I stood still for a moment, seething and gripping the mop tightly. I was screwing everything up already. People were dead and I got distracted by a piravte letter when I should've been looking for a way to contact Eva so I could help the Master.

I looked up sharply when Mo came over and began to mop up the mess quietly. I watched her for a moment and slowly my anger receeded. It was pointless to get annoyed over past mistakes. What I needed to do now was to replace the letter and try to keep the rest of the youngsters from getting themselves killed. Getting angry would make my tasks far more difficult.

My silence and calmer aura alerted Mo to the fact it was now safe to speak to me.

"It was no fault of yours Susan and you could not have prevented it." She said quietly as we moped up the water I had spilt which I was mentally kicking myself for doing. Now I had just expanded our morbid job.

I grunted. "Still, it makes me angry that we have lost four young ones to the person who is meant to be guarding them."

Mo nodded in agreement. "I know. I don't like this Morrigan. She gives me the creeps."

"Ditto." I said then looked at Mo firmly. "Try not to get on her bad side Mo. It would not bode well if you did."

She snorted. "Like I don't know. I don't need to be told that angering that vampire will just result with my head being torn off." She smiled warmly at my glare. "But thank you for the warning. I doubt you would tell many people that."

I grumbled and concetrated on my task, ignoring the happy smile on Mo's face. In silence we worked, scrubbing away the blood from the floors and moping them clean. By the time I was finished I felt drained while Mo was still her active self.

"I go this way. Got washing duty." She said then clapped my shoulder hard with her strong hand. "Be safe Susan. You are in this mess deeper than anyone else in this house." She squeezed my shoulder and smiled broadly before she turned and strode away to her next task.

With tired steps I headed towards the Master's study, praying he was not there. If he wasn't, I could quickly sneak the letter back in its place. And the fact I was to ignore the letter meant I could not ask about it contents which annoyed me vaguely. My curiosity about Dunstan's death and this hidden child was growing rapidly. And the woman that was spoken of. I had a deep doubtful feeling that she was Alphonse's mother. But I could not ask about this. It would give away that I had been prying and would most likely upset the Master, which I really did not want.

I yawned loudly when I placed my hand on the door handle and pushed it open, stepping inside slowly. It took a moment for my brain to realise that the room was empty. Suddenly the sleepy fog lifted and I quickly darted to the desk and flung the draw open. With swift movements I lifted up the paperwork and fumbled at the small latch. As soon as I heard it open, my hand darted into my pocket and brought out the neatly folded letter. With gently movements I placed the letter back in its place and clicked the small door shut. With a sigh of relief I closed the draw and straightened my back. It was done. The letter was back where it belonged. I could now wash my hands of this affair, even if I did very much want to know what the hell happened to the old Master.

The fog suddenly came back with a vegence, abruptly and without warning. Feeling suddenly drained I collapsed into the master's chair, curling up slightly and snuggling down to make myself comfortable. I smiled faintly when my nose scented the Master's smell. And then I fell asleep.

*

My eyes snapped open and my heart hammered. I don't know why but I felt unsafe. I felt like I was threatened, like something was in the room and very much wanted me dead. However that feeling faded when my eyes landed on the master who was leaning on the other side of the desk with his dark eyes latched onto me with such a warm expression it nearly made my mind melt. Quickly I grapsed my faltering brain and glared at him.

"What?" I snapped.

"I am wondering why you are sleeping in my chair?" He asked, amused.

"I was tired and it was the nearest place to sit." I replied sharply.

He raised an eyebrow and turned to look at the sofas that stood in the centre of the room. With a questioning look he turned to face me which was dutifully replied with an infuriated glare on my part.

"Well, it is good you're here anyway. I need to to talk you, Alphonse and Arnold." He said with a quick shrug of his shoulders and began to organise some of the papers that littered his desk.

I watched him for a moment, not bothering to ask him what he needed to speak about as I knew he would not answer, and continued to scowl. Then biting my lip, my eyes slid around the room, trying to find whatever had threatened me. Obviously there was nothing. The room was a perfect as usual.

"What is it Susan?" Came the Master's concerned voice.

My eyes snapped up at him and about to close off until I saw the worry in his eyes. I looked down at my hands that had begun to fiddle mindlessly with my apron.

"Was anyone in here when you come in?" I asked.

"No." He replied firmly. "Why?"

"While I slept I felt someone watching me with so much hatred I could not sleep well. And then when I woke up a moment ago, I felt threatened, like my life was in danger." I trailed off, feeling stupid now that I had spoken my feelings out loud. To be honest, I could just be paranoid since Morrigan's waking.

My eyes darted back to the master when I heard an angry growl rumble from his broad chest. His eyes had narrowed and an aura of danger grew rapdily around him.

"You are sure?" He asked darkly.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I could be imagining it, with everything that has been going on with the Mother I could just be becoming paranoid." I muttered.

The Master was silent for a moment, his aura of rage and danger growing stronger. "If a vampire wakes feeling threatened then something caused it. And if it was strong enough to disturb you of all people then it is real." He growled, baring his fangs with a low hiss.

"There is no need to get upset, Master. They have done nothing so far." I said soothingly. "I will let you know if they try and hurt your blood supply so don't worry."

His eyes snapped up and the venom held in those dark eyes made me flinch. He opened his mouth to say something but was stopped when the study door was opened and Arnold stepped in. The Master scowled at me for a moment longer, not bothering to hide his rage on his for nor in the bond, before he turned sharply from me.

Arnold's normal smile faltered when he saw the master's expression. "Interrupting anything?" He asked.

"Nothing." The master snapped, stepping away from the desk. "Where is Alphonse?"

"He is on his way." Arnold replied.

I could not help but notice his confused eyes dart from myself to the master, not that I blame him. I was currently bewildered by the Master's reaction and what he had reacted to.

It was a couple of strained minutes later that the door was opened and closed again. Alphonse looked a little worse for wear. Dark smudges were under his eyes, indicating he had not slept well, and his face was pale. His worry over Ella seemed to be taking its toll since Morrigan returned to the world.

"What is it Uncle?" He asked after he had collapsed heavily on one of the sofas.

"Morrigan has a request." The master said with an unintentional angry undertone.

"What does she want now?" Alphonse asked wearily.

"She wants to celebrate her awakening."

Everyone looked startled from her demand. We were expecting something a little more...distasteful.

"She wants a party." I repeated.

The master nodded although avoided eye contact with me, showing he was still angry for reasons unknown.

"But she is planning something. She has that knowing smile when she asks for something and is then going to use it against me when she has it."

"So what do we do?"

"We have the party, we have no choice there. Just be on your guard. Watch for anything suspicious among the guests and always watch Morrigan. Whatever she is planning, she will wait for the right moment to play it."

We nodded in agreement.

"Then that is all. I shall find out when Morrigan wants this thing held and see if it is of any significance." He said. Arnold nodded his head and turned to leave but stopped when the Master called him again. "Arnold, I have a favour to ask fo you."

Arnold smiled gently. "What is it?"

"Susan has told me she has been feeling threatened." Arnold frowned in worry and glanced at me. "Can you watch her and make sure nothing harms her? Especcially around this celebration."

"Of course." Arnold said, gave me one last look of concern and then left the room.

Alphonse sighed heavily and forced himself onto his feet. "If that's all Uncle, I will leave and watch Morrigan again."

"Go, Alphonse. I will take over soon so you can sleep."

Alphonse smiled and took his leave quietly, leaving myself and the Master alone once again. Feeling uncomfortable at this thought, I stood and strode over to door however that was stopped as soon as the Master's arms grabbed me and pulled me backwards into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me tightly so I could not move and buried his face into my neck, inhaling deeply and causing a wave of blood to crash into my face in a bright blush. When I struggled, his iron grip grew tighter, forcing me to realise it will be a very long time before my natrual strength would outgrow his. I sighed with irritation and stopped struggling, letting him hold me as I really had no choice.

"I do not protect you and keep you alive because you are my blood supply Susan." He told me in his deep honey like voice, all anger gone, which caused my heart to dance.

"Of course you do. My blood is the only thing keeping you sane, what other reason would you go to such lengths just to make sure I live." I commented roughly, trying to fight against the warmth spreading through my body.

He laughed gently and pressed his lips against my neck, causing a reaction of fire from me. If I was not held so firmly I would've socked him one and glared venomously at him. However at the same time I wanted him to do it again, I wanted to feel his soft lips against my neck and my mouth, which made me feel extremely stupid and want to tear my hair out at such thoughts.

"Just think about it Susan. You will figure it out." He murmured and then abruptly let me go.

It was not until he had released me that I realised I had been shaking, from what I don't know, but I forced my body under control and turned to scowl at him. However that failed when I saw him looking at me with such a strange warming expression it caused my brain to stop. Quickly I grabbed what sanity I had left and hissed irritably at him before I turned sharply and left. And as I darted back to an available task, I tried hard to forget the feel of his strong arms, masculine scent and his lips against my skin, and grew ever more irritated as I seemed to fail. And I thought of his words and still not understanding them. If he did not save me because of my blood I had no idea what it could be.

I hesitated breifly when a knew feeling entered the atmosphere. Rage, hate and bloodlust swirled about, causing my skin to crawl and my blood to freeze. Then suddenly it vanished. I glanced about but yet again there was no sign of the threats origin.

Shaking my head I continued on my way, trying my hardest to ignore my turmoiling heart and aching head and failing at it still.