Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 25

Everything was rather hectic in the next couple of days. The maids were thrown into a frenzy of cleaning, making every single room completely spotless. I did nothing else apart from clean, wash, polish anything and everything that was thrown at me. As soon as I woke, tasks were given to me until the sun set and then I slept and the cycle started once again. And I did not enjoy it one bit.

And with the constant set of eyes watching me from the shadows with the strong sense of death, I was constantly twitching and on edge and, quite honestly, very paranoid. Arnold kept close to me as the master had ordered although he was constantly sending worried glances in my direction which began to irritate me after a while. It was not like I was dead yet. But whoever was threatening me from the shadows had not made themselves known yet. I had not seen anyone who could be plotting to harm me whenever I felt threatened and even my nightmares, the enemy was cloaked in shadows, giving me no help in discovering who my mystery stalker was. I had a guess though.

I looked up from my task of organising the silver cutlery and ensuring they were so shiny they blinded people when a frightened looking maid came darting in, cast her eyes about then focused on me. My stomach dropped when she came towards me in a flustered motion.

“Susan.” She said breathlessly. “You must go to the Mother immediately. She is calling for you.”

“Speak of the devil.” I mumbled then placed the fork I was polishing back in its case. “I will go.”

The maid sighed heavily in relief. “I will show you the way.” She said, her voice calmer and more relaxed than when she had first spoken.

I sighed sharply as I followed the small girl from the room and reached mentally in the bond. I was not going to face the Mother without anyone knowing. I was not that stupid.

'Master, something has come up.'

He stirred and instantly became alert. 'What is it? Your stalker made an appearance?'

'Sadly no. I am currently being take to the Mother’s room.'

A dark growl rumbled in my mind as the Master’s anger grew. 'What does she want?'

'God knows.' I muttered, watching the small girl bobbing ahead of me. 'But I don’t like it.'

'Neither do I.' He growled. 'Keep the link open. If anything happens or if you feel threatened, I will know and come to get you out of there.'

'Would she let you?' I asked quietly.

He paused. 'I will think of something if she doesn’t.'

I snorted. 'You make me feel so safe sometimes.'

I smiled when I felt a ripple of amusement waver in the bond. 'I won’t let anything happen to you Susan. You have my word.' He said firmly.

'If you insist.' I mumbled then stared at the maid’s back as she stopped suddenly after taking me down two flights of stairs and wondered around a dark maze of hallways I had never seen before.

The door leading to this floor of the house had been locked for years. It was the Mother’s rooms I assumed however it shocked me how many private room’s she had. It was like a whole floor of the house which added up to about forty plus rooms. Whatever the Mother filled them with puzzled me.

She turned to a dark oak door and looked back at me. “She is in here. I will go take over your job so come find me once your new task is done.”

“Understood.” I said coldly and watched with narrowed eyes as she retreated back into the gloom.

I turned my attention back to the door, inhaled deeply then knocked lightly. A gentle welcome came from behind and bided me to enter. Slowly I gripped the handle and pushed the door open, slipping inside with my senses on high alert. The fact I could not sense her made me nervous. I could not feel her presence, hear her breathing or smell her scent. It was as if she was not in the room. However my eyes could see her, smiling at me from the seat beyond her red satin bed.

I stood stiffly just before the door with my hands clasped in front of me and my narrowed eye focused on her.

“You came Susan.” She said happily.

I nodded my head. “As you ordered it, I had no choice but to comply.” I stated.

Her smile twitched wider. “Of course.”

She paused for a moment, not bothering to hide the fact she assessing me with her cold eyes. Abruptly she stood and removed the thin robe from her shoulders and chucked it to the floor.

“Come Susan. I wish to have your say on what I am so wear to my celebration. As it is in my honour I need to wear something...striking. Don’t you agree?”

My mind hesitated, momentarily confused at her request. “You...want me to help you choose a dress?” I echoed.

She flung the doors of her large wardrobe open. “Yes. I don’t know what to wear and I am sure someone like you would know what the fashion is these days. Being asleep for a good few decades does have the side effect of being slightly behind with the times.”

“Well, this is true mistress however I am not the person who can help you with this. I have never taken an interest in what people wear.” I stammered in my bewilderment.

Morrigan paused then shrugged. “Then tell me what you think looks good or not. You can do that, can’t you?”

“I will if you want me to.”

She turned to me, clutching a short simple black dress to her small bosom. “That is what I want you to do.” She said and pranced over to the dressing screen that was placed just next to her flamboyant bed.

“Now tell me Susan.” She said as she undressed behind the screen. “How long have you been here?”

“No more than eleven years. I was ten when I was brought here.” I replied.

“Really? I thought you were older.” She said and came from behind the screen dressed in a loose black spaghetti strapped dress. She span in a circle once then stopped facing me. “Well? Yes or no?”

The dress looked well on her, although her chest was made to look flatter than it really was.

“A yes, mistress.”

She smiled then darted back over to the wardrobe to rummage around. “Then tell me, why did you end up here?”

“Same as most people. My family was killed, I survived. The Master took me in.”

She turned her eyes onto me, calculating and cold. “Parasite attack? Or revenge?” She asked as she stepped towards me meaningfully.

The feeling of unease began to creep up my spine. “Parasite, mistress.”

She stopped just in front me so our noses were only an inch from each other. She stared at me though half lidded eyes then smiled. “Of course it was.” She said and backed away.

My face became blank while a sudden feeling of insecurity swamped me. The Master reacted, trying to calm me and chase the threat away, whispering gently in my mind as he did.

She strode to the wardrobe and grabbed a red dress then turned sharply to me. “You may leave now Susan. I think I will wear this.” She smiled eerily at me. “Send Laura back to me please.”

I nodded sharply then turned quickly to leave but was forced to stop when she called out.

“Oh and Susan. If I find out that you have any sort of relation with my son I will take action.”

My heart stuttered and a blush nearly made my face glow until a wrestled with it and forced it away.

“There is no other relation other than master and servant between us, mistress. I would never step over that line.”

Her smile froze and her face suddenly became dark and cold. “I do hope so. Now leave. I want this place in order for tomorrow.”

I acknowledged her quickly then strode from the room. Sharply I opened the link fully, not bothering to hide my unease and growing fear.

'She is not being fooled Lucius.' I snapped. 'She knows.'

'No, Susan. She is aware that something is being hidden, what it is she is still trying to find out.'

'Well we don’t have long. She is getting too close.'

He was silent for a while. 'I will speak with Arnold and talk of what to do but it will not result in your death. We wait and bide our time, see what she knows. As long as she cannot see the truth or find it then we give her no reason to attack.'

'That vampire needs no reason to attack.' I snapped irritably.

'When it comes to hunting and games she is patient. This is exactly the sort of thing she will take her time with and even when she knows she will not act and give us a sense of safety. Either way, we have time to plan a safety net. Trust me on this.'

I sighed wearily and walked slowly up the stairs that led up to the ground floor. 'I do Lucius.'

A strange warm feeling flooded from the master, a sort of warmth that made me feel happy and forced my mouth into a smile.

'Then let me protect you and trust that I will. Nothing will happen to you.'

'I hope so.' I muttered. 'Tomorrow may be a bit of a challenge. We still have no idea what will happen.'

'This is true however it won’t be murder. It is something else. Just stay on your guard and don’t let anything else slip. She just needs another clue to confirm her thoughts and after that, she will start to toy with you and eventually kill you. Use your bright head around her constantly Susan.'

I nodded. 'I will.'

'Good, now start your work again. I will speak with Arnold and tell you what has been said.' He said gently then cut off the link, allowing me to concentrate on my swirling thoughts and try to batter out the fear that I so rarely felt growing at the back of my mind.

Whatever was going to happen tomorrow, it was not going to be good.