Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 26

It was here. The day I had been dreading. The day that Morrigan was going to start her game.

I was currently darting about the house, trying to organise the food and decor in the main ballroom. Sal and Mo were trailing after me like lost dogs having been ordered to not let me out of their sight. As Head Butler, Arnold had a lot of tasks on his plate, forcing him to explain what had been happening to Sal and Mo and getting them to care for me while the Master, Alphonse and Arnold were busy. However the apparent need of having babysitters trailing after me made me a little annoyed. I was not totally helpless that I needed to be cared for constantly. Although I had to admit I felt a little bit more comfortable knowing I was never on my own as the sense of bloodlust was growing increasingly strong. And the fact I still did not know who wanted me dead was growing increasingly tedious.

I was glad that this celebration was called oddly enough. As I had struggled to find any sort of address or way of contacting Eva I was pleased to hear that a representative of the Sinclair family would be attending, which was not surprising to be honest. If there was a celebration set up by an ancient to celebrate her reawakening then a member of the Sinclair family had to attend. It was more out of politeness and tradition than actually affection though. I doubted very much that Morrigan liked Eva. The two just seemed like two polar opposites. But as a representative would be appearing, I took the liberty to write a letter to Eva. Once I got the chance, I would hand this note over to the vampire and pray that he would in turn take it back to Eva. The only way of knowing all went well is when and if I received a letter from the white haired lunatic.

It took another two hours of work before the maids were ordered to get to their positions as the first of the flood of guests began to arrive. Sal and I were in the main room, ready to serve the vampiric guests with food and blood. Mo trundled around in the background with the others, making sure everything was going to be running smoothly in the other rooms.

I was quite calm as the guests multiplied and the hum of talking began to echo in the air however it seemed I was the only one. Sal was nervous, often casting worried glances at me and tried her best not to be separated from me for too long. Alphonse also appeared quite highly strung although managed to keep a cool mask on his face. If it wasn’t for his bad habit of going overboard with his hand gestures when he was nervous, I would have believed he was fine.

The master on the other hand seemed to dwarf their combined fears. The bond was left open, allowing his emotions and thoughts to flood me which was a little distracting to say the least. He was so wound up from fear of the clan’s and my safety and anger at what Morrigan was planning to do it was a huge surprise to me that he could actually keep a cool air about him. Apart from his expression. Sometimes that slipped and he looked as if he was ready to rip something to shreds. I tried numerous times to calm him and soften his fears but he just pushed me away and only inflamed his anger. I did not understand why and he seemed intent on being left alone so I did just that. There was no point in losing my cool while trying to calm him.

I turned around swiftly when I was tapped lightly on the shoulder and all worries flew from my head when my eyes landed on a young man smiling warmly at me.

“Long time no see, Susan.”

“Viorel.” I said happily.

Viorel was the self-claimed bodyguard of Eva. He was pretty useless at it seeing as he was human and often Eva was the one who did the defending however give him a gun filled with silver bullets and you have a man very skilled at killing werewolves albeit nothing else. He had grown since I had last seen him seven years ago. His blond hair was longer now and his face was stronger and covered in stubble. A complete contrast to the gentle looking twenty year old man I had met back when I was a child.

“How have you been Susan?” He asked.

“I have been...better.” I replied hesitantly, knowing I could not say too much in the open. “How are you? And the gift we gave you?”

He smiled knowingly and nodded his head. “I have been quite well. I am quite skilled with the sword now. Vincent was quite adamant that I learnt. He said it would possibly make me less useless.” He said with a slight glare. “And your gift is very well. She is working hard even if she is a little skittish. Eva is trying her hardest to make her feel welcome.”

I smiled gently. “I am glad to hear.”

“Well it seems rather hectic round here.” He mumbled. “When Vincent heard who had awakened he grew quite aggressive. Eva seems calm about it but then again she has never actually met this Head.”

“She is an odd one and quite violent. Four lost to her.”

Viorel’s eyebrows shot up in shock. “Four? That isn’t right. Young ones dying to the Head.”

I nodded my head in solemn agreement. “I know but our hands are tied. We can’t do anything.”

A look of sympathy flittered across my old friends face. “I know, I heard. Eva and Vincent are trying to work out what to do.”

“I am not sure whether there is anything. My death might solve a lot but the master keeps refusing it.” I growled.

He shrugged. “He has good reasons Susan. But try not to worry. You have the Sinclair family backing and if that isn’t an ally of steel, I don’t know what is.”

I grunted with displeasure which made him laugh.

“Eva still rubs you the wrong way I take it?”

“She is just much too loving and caring for my liking.” I muttered.

“Guessed that the moment you first met her.” He said with a smile which was suddenly wiped from his face when his eyes caught hold of something. “Looks like the lady of the evening is here.” He mumbled.

I grimaced and looked around to spot the Mother flittering from guest to guest like a blood red and night black butterfly. She was smiling broadly and laughing heartily, making her seem like a kind and sociable woman however when her eyes caught with mine, a dark cloud passed over her features and her smile suddenly became a twisted and cold grimace. I kept my face blank and turned my attention away and back to Viorel.

“I’ll get back to work now.” I whispered and received an understanding nod.

As I shuffled past I whipped out the note that was hiding in my sleeve and gently pressed it into Viorel’s hand which closed instantly around it. Whether or not the Mother could see did not concern me. As Viorel was the representative of the Sinclair House she could do nothing to hurt him without angering the Elder’s and Eva, something no vampire with common sense would do.

It was as I was stepping away from the werewolf hunter that I realised the master had blocked the link. Gently I nudged it and instantly it opened to reveal a very strange emotion I had not sensed before.

'Master, what is it?' I questioned.

'That was Viorel, wasn’t it?' He asked in a strangely dark tone.

'Yes it was. He has come as the representative of the Sinclair family. Why, what’s wrong?'

'It is nothing.' He said firmly and in a tone that suggested it would be wise not to ask anymore.

I sighed heavily and irritably fell silent, not bothering to mentally beat the answer out of him and decided it would be better to watch the eerily happy vampire like I was supposed to. With sharp eyes I watched her for the next hour, much like the other four who were also wary of Morrigan and her game. However, even with five pairs of eyes watching her, none of us noticed it when she began to set her game into play.

I was tiredly letting my attention follow her and when she took the hand of a young looking female vampire my interest was perked up. Morrigan guided the young woman, a vampire whose face was gentle with soft skin and red lips and satin like hair that was curled and beautified to the extent that she looked perfect, towards the master.

I felt his confusion and suspicion, just like he could feel mine, and we watched like distrustful wolves. As Morrigan and the stranger approached the master so did I. With the plate of nibbles being offered to those I bothered to I eventually got to a distance that allowed me to overhear the conversation.

“My darling son.” Morrigan began with a happy, almost joyous, tone. “I hope you are being a good host among the guests.”

The master smiled a strained smile. “I am, so do not worry.”

“I am not. Now, Lucius, I would like to introduce you to Clare of the Ulrich household. You have heard of them, haven’t you Lucius?”

His dark eyes narrowed. “Yes. They are one of the few pureblood families left.”

What was said next made my heart sink with every word.

“Good. Now let me get to the point. Clare is one of two siblings born, the other being a son. I spoke with the Elder’s and I heard you have not decided on a bride yet Lucius and they are getting very impatient. You are 4 years old and still you have given us no Blue blood children like we need. So, to save you from looking I have chosen that Clare, a perfect specimen of a female Blue blood vampire, will be your bride Lucius.”

Without thinking, the tray slipped from my fingers as all feeling suddenly fled from my body and one word resonated numbly in my mind.

......what?