Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 28

As soon as I returned to the ballroom my eyes were latched onto the supposed bride of my master. With scrutiny I observed the vampire called Clare Ulrich and grew to loathe her by the time the evening had finished. Throughout my observation she was constantly around the Master, oozing pheromones and charms with a non-exhaustible source, which was making my irritation grow quite rapidly.

Raggedly I helped my fellow slaves to clean up the aftermath of the celebration. The sun was rising, my increasing weariness warning me so, and even Sal, Mo and the others were starting to sag with exhaustion. However, under strict orders from Morrigan, we were expected to have the place cleaned before we were to return to our dorm. This angered everyone as they had been awake for a good twelve hours and their patience was running thin. When the Master was in control of the house he would ensure the humans brought here were cared for decently however the Mother seemed to think of us as inexhaustible machines. Either that or she just did not care if we killed ourselves working. Or both. However I was glad the Mother sprung no other plans on us. She seemed to just smile and flitter around her guests happily with her blood chilling smile be cast at anyone who met her gaze. This thing she had planned between Clare and the master was her only game but it seemed it was enough to keep her entertained which in itself worried me. What she was expecting to happen was apparently a repeat of Dunstan’s death, something that I had no clue about and really needed to talk to the Master about. If I was going to protect him from the Mother then I needed to know what on earth happened to the old master and why he had sent that letter to Lucius, begging him to return home. And then there was the Master's obvious lie about how long ago the Mother had last woken. They were all linked, I knew, I just didn’t know how.

It was only when Sal tapped my shoulder that I had realised I had ground to a halt. I stared at her blearily for a moment before I forced my arms back to work at mopping the floor. My energy was so low I was not even bothered to blindly curse the Mother under my breath with much vigour like I normally would.

“Go, Susan. We can cover for you. It is not like she will find out if you go.” Sal murmured quietly beside me.

Vaguely I shook my head. “No, I don’t wish to risk it. It would cause trouble. Arnold warned me not to bring attention to myself.”

“But the sun is getting high Susan. Soon you won’t be able to stand let alone clean.” She snapped, her exhaustion showing through her rare temper.

“I will be fine.” I said then stopped suddenly when a ghost of a figure coming towards us suddenly registered in my brain.

With her simple flowing white dress and perfect blond hair, I instantly recognised her as Clare having watched her with hatred filled eyes all night.

With light steps she approached Sal and myself and smiled shyly at me. She was filled with as much energy as she had a few hour ago. She was completely unharmed by the young morning while her pure blood protected her from its damaging effects.

“Which one of you is Susan Lowell?” She asked.

Sal hesitated, not sure whether saying that I was Susan was dropping me into a potential danger. Realising she might claim herself as me I quickly raised me hand and spoke with as much energy I could muster.

“I am. What do you want?” I asked bluntly.

I really could not be bothered with niceties especially as I did not particularly like this woman. She looked taken a back but she called back her honey smile, quickly stopping the hurt frown that nearly possessed her angelic face.

“I came to say hello. My name is Clare Ulrich and I am your Master’s potential bride.” She said.

She did not know that every light word she said was like a punch to the stomach for me which was reigniting my anger and energy.

“I am aware of this so what do you want with me?” I growled.

“I just wanted to meet you, honestly. Lucius has a high regard of your opinion and he often spoke of you with much warmth.” She rambled on shyly, completely unaware of my growing irritation.

I had no idea what she doing or what she was expecting to happen by speaking with me. It was quite bewildering. I was then taken off guard when I noticed her eyes slide from onside of the room to the other then step forward.

“I also want to help you Susan.” She whispered so that only I could hear her voice.

My eyebrows rose quickly and suspicion began to take over my anger. “What do you think I need help with?”

“Dealing with Morrigan.” She mumbled and looked at me with sorrowful eyes. “Please listen to me Susan. I have spoken with Lucius and he spoke plainly with me. He told me of the situation that you and he are under and it is not a pleasant one. I wish to help you.”

“Help me? How can you help us?” I said sharply, unintentionally letting out a growl.

“By joining in with the game, not that I don’t have a choice. I am as much a prisoner as Lucius is in this.”

Anger flared again and I struggled to keep myself from baring my fangs and hissing. She noticed and spoke quickly, her tone becoming urgently almost pleading.

“Please Susan, please listen to me. If the Master’s plan is to work you must trust me. It is the only way to give us time without arousing Morrigan’s suspicion.”

I forced myself to calm which was difficult. My concentration was beginning to become hectic from exhaustion and anger.

“What is the Master’s plan then?”

Clare suddenly became very fidgety and found it difficult to keep eye contact. “I would rather he explain and I think he would too.” She said then looked at me earnestly. “Just know that I am on your side. There is someone I wish to be with and I will do anything to be with him. Just as the Master wishes to be beside you.”

My face froze when my heart tightened with a strange breathless joy. “What are you talking about?” I managed to force out.

She frowned at me in confusion before her face lit up with realisation and began to speak quite rapidly and apologetically. I could just about hear what she said although I could not say that for my sight. Everything had suddenly become blurry and then there was the strange sensation of falling which was sharply stopped by strong arms catching me before I hit the marble floor.

I vaguely heard Sal let out a stream of strong swearing, both aimed at the morning and apparently my stubborn nature. There was a hum of voices then suddenly the feeling of being lifted and carried. My memory then became quite hazy as I was carried through the house with the sound of curtains being drawn shut constantly.

It was when I was being placed in my friendly and uncomfortable bed with the feeling of someone gently tugging of my shoes and apron before pulling the scratchy blanket over me. With gently movements, I felt soft fingers move the lose strands of hair from my face followed by a soft sigh that echoed in my fading consciousness. And the words that Clare said gently before I fell to my sleep echoed so strongly in my mind and tightened my confused heart that I remembered it vividly the next time I woke.

“I wonder why you don’t realise that he loves you Susan.”