Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 30

Arnold guided me quickly through the halls, taking me up the highest level of the building. I followed in silence, watching him with interest as he gradually became nervous. The nearer to our destination we got, the more glances he cast over his shoulder and the more creased his wrinkles got as concern set in.

When we got to the end of a virtually abandoned hallway, a gloomy place filled with dust and cobwebs having not been touched by any of the maids, Arnold froze and cocked his head. For a while he remained like that, sniffing, listening and watching before he turned to me.

“Do you hear anything Susan?” He asked in a low tone.

I listening for a moment and heard nothing bar the scurrying of mice and the faint activity of life from downstairs.

“I don’t.” I said.

He smiled broadly and turned his attention to the wall, allowing his old hands to feel the wall in search of something only he knew about.

“Good. We can never be too careful. This place is to be a secret from everyone in this house and should remain so.”

“Then why show me?” I asked while furrowing my eyebrows.

He hesitated and glanced back at me. “Because you are in the same situation as she was. I don’t want you to have the same fate.” He said sadly and started feeling the wall again.

“And you who is ‘she’?”

“All in good time Susan. Just let me find...ah. Got it.”

I watched with interest as his fingers gripped the dusty wooden panel and pushed it. The click that followed was quiet but it still resonated in my ears clearly. My attention was caught by a shift in the wall and Arnold headed over to the suddenly door looking panel. He tried to gently push the make shift door open but it ground to a halt which forced him to ram his strong shoulder against it and shoved it open.

He cast one more glance about the hallway before he slipped inside, motioning for me to follow. He allowed me to go ahead while he shut the door firmly behind him and flicked on a switch which was closely followed by a loud hum as the single bare light bulb blinked loudly into life. When I could see the room that I had stepped into my mouth fell open and confusion filled my mind.

The hidden room was filled with toys for that of a baby girl. The ceiling was covered with dangling pink, white and yellow sashes and the floor was littered in dolls and teddies, some of them in piles and staring at us with their vacant button eyes. There was a dolls house in the far corner alongside a large box to contain them but what caught my eyes the most was the bed, an extravagant structure coloured in white and pink. However the dark room made me cold inside. This room was supposed to be bright with a small happy life playing with the toys in the centre of the room. Instead there was a feeling of sorrow and fear that clung to the atmosphere. As if the life in this room had vanished long ago and had left behind a corpse. When I stepped further into the room I noticed that everything was drab now. Everything was covered in dirt and dust that dulled the once bright colours. Some of the toys had been destroyed by mice with their stuffing spewing out from old wounds and the cloth had hundreds of small holes from where the moths had been eating.

“What is this room?” I asked quietly as I circled around the many dying and abandoned possessions.

“This was Edith’s room, before she was taken.” Arnold replied as he unearthed two chairs. He ignored my questioning look and indicated for me to sit down in the small chair beside him. He was silent and twiddled his fingers for a moment, obviously trying to figure out where to start.

“I will start when the game started with Dunstan.” He began. “Just over a century ago, Dunstan was named as Morrigan’s second which made him the second Head of the Clan. Whenever the Mother would sleep or was away, he would act as the leader and take care of the clan, just like the Master is now. It was about sixteen years later that Morrigan started her game. She declared that she wanted a party and of course Dunstan organised it as she wished. However, much like the Master, Morrigan brought over a young female pure blood, a woman by the name of Abigail Curtis, and told him that she had chosen her as his bride. Of course he refused at first but then she instantly grabbed his weakness; the young vampire children. She told him if he did not wish a vampire child to die once every month, he had to accept her chosen bride. He had no choice but to agree. Both vampires were unhappy with the union but both were equally stuck. If they did not agree, Morrigan would then harm their weakness and no one was strong enough to stand against her. For years they accepted this and grew to become very close friends, although Abigail even came to love Dunstan in the end. Morrigan grew impatient when she received no grandchildren after the first ten years and pressured them to give her one. As you can guess they gave in and the young master was then born. Morrigan adored him and he kept her amused as she watched him grow which gave both the old master and mistress a break from Morrigan’s watchful gaze. For another twenty years things were relatively calm and then Morrigan grew bored after the young master matured. She knew she would not be expecting another grandchild anytime soon and returned to her rooms to sleep. It was not until 30 years had passed that things began to go wrong.

Morrigan had been asleep for five years when Dunstan went out to Italy to visit Lucius and it was there that he met a small witch child, Amalia Nespola. She instantly recognised Dunstan and Lucius as a threat and attacked. As you would guess, Amalia’s attack was easily stopped however she was persistent which ended up with her being wounded. While Dustan was leaving Italy, Amalia followed by the roof and slipped only to be saved by the man she hunted. This left a very strong impression on her which was to lead to their disaster. Fifteen years later, Amalia appeared once again in Dunstan’s life as an assassin sent by one of our enemy Clans. What happened instead of a Witch carrying out her duty actually started off an intense love affair between those two.” Arnold paused heavily and sighed, rubbing his hand over his face. Slowly he looked up at me. “Do you understand what I have said so far?”

I nodded my head dutifully and silent so he could continue.

“This affair lasted for three years until its messy end. And it was all with Abigail’s knowledge. She held no grudge against either of them as her own union with Dunstan only existed through black mail and not out of love or even beneficial reasons. To say she did not feel pain however would be a lie. I often saw her looking very depressed, sometimes for hours, but it could not be helped. Dunstan did not love her as he loved Amalia. It was a sad time for Abigail which grew even sadder when Amalia had a little girl, a little girl that was kept hidden from the world in fear of other vampires finding her.”

I couldn’t help the twisted expression of puzzlement and disbelief from taking hold of my features. “A child? A vampire and witch had a child?” I demanded.

Arnold simply nodded his head, obviously used to the reason he had no less seen when the news of Amalia’s pregnancy first reached the inner family’s ears.

I sat back heavily and was thankful that he let me think for a moment and take in this strange information. The Matter that was held within a witch’s body was highly toxic against all three races of the Old World, it was why witches were on an equal footing. While the immortals could breed with normal humans, it was quite impossible for witches to bare an immortal child. As soon as a child was fertilised, the Matter would instantly begin to attack the immortal genes. The child would practically devour itself before it even began to grow. So Amalia giving birth to Dunstan’s child is quite literally impossible. Either Amilia bore someone else’s child or this anomaly really did happen.

“And this little girl was Edith.” I stated as I looked around the grim room and deciding to not think about such complicated things.

Arnold smiled thinly. “Yes, the little girl was Edith. A small happy child, she remained only on this floor with her mother. There were too many people who would hand her over to the Mother which made it vital to keep her safe. For a four years we kept her and Amalia safe and a secret. Dunstan could handle any who became a threat to his family and Abigail often stepped in to keep both Amalia and Edith safe as well which Dunstan appreciated. Abigail understood this extended family was important to him, and whatever was important to him she would protect. That was the sort of woman she was sadly. But, even with such strong vampires protecting the family, one small fry unfortunately got through the net and woke the Mother.

It was no surprise that things became dark and fearful. It was a stroke of luck Amalia was visiting her Family in Italy when Morrigan reappeared early. Alphonse and myself made sure Edith was quiet and safe. The child was able to smother her presence perfectly, although she would become noisy when we told her she could not leave the room. It was enough though to keep her safe and it pains me I could not say that for anyone else. Morrigan soon found out that Dunstan had a Witch lover and decided to use this to her advantage. Word reached Abigail and she informed her husband of what his mother was planning; a mass murder of the Nespola Family by turning Amalia into a parasite. Dunstan sent word to Lucius as soon as possible, asking him to return home as things were becoming increasingly grim when Morrigan called for the Nespola Family specifically. Lucius intercepted the note to the Nespola Family, informing them it was a trap before he returned home, and just in time before things went the way Morrigan wanted, although it all ended up in such a bloody mess I guess she did not care either way.

While Dunstan spoke with Lucius, Abigail kept Morrigan busy. I was with the old master and I can tell you Susan, what he wanted Lucius to do made me sick. But Lucius agreed and followed Dunstan and Amalia into the back garden with the family sword. I stayed inside. I did not wish to witness what was to happen. ” Arnold paused for a moment, looking far older than he had ever done. I waited, already coldly knowing what was to come next. “Lucius killed them. Cut their heads clean off. Those two knew what was to happen, that Morrigan was planning to force Dunstan to turn Amalia into a Black blood then degrade her into a parasite, and death was the only option, the kinder option for them. Dunstan would not have asked anyone else to do it. He felt it was right that his younger brother would be the one to take his life.” He smiled sadly at me who was currently silent from shock and sorrow. “But their deaths would not be the last. While I waited for the Master to return I suddenly heard screaming and the scent of blood filled the air. I instantly knew it was Abigail’s. She had cracked, her anger finally broke through and she lashed out at Morrigan for making their lives filled with fear and misery, for not allowing her own son to be with the woman he truly loved. Abigail did not stand a chance against the Mother of course and must have been put through the most excruciating pain before her death. Nobody would’ve recognised Abigail if the slaves who had witnessed it had told us that it was her. When Morrigan demanded that I take her to Dunstan and found him dead, I did not know whether or not she was happy. However she smiled and welcomed Lucius, ignoring the two bodies he was mourning over. It was then that Morrigan declared him as her new second and praised him for brutally killing his brother for allowing a Witch to come so close to the Clan. She was smiling her cruel smile, obviously pleased that Dunstan had been killed and Lucius was suffering for it. We did not sleep easy that day and Alphonse stayed in his little sister’s room constantly, not trusting himself to face his grandmother. He did not have to stay in there long though as the Mother returned to her rooms after a week, allowing little Edith to be taken from here. Where Lucius took her I don’t know. He might’ve returned her to her mother’s Family but I don’t know. All I know is that when she left we have not seen nor heard of her since. And this room has not been touched by anyone other than Alphonse and myself. It is like a shrine to the old master, Abigail, Edith and Amalia, a place where we can come to mourn for them in peace.” He said and trailed off into silence, leaving a strange uncomfortable quiet to replace his sad old voice.

I watched him with emotionless eyes and an emotionless face while inside I was cold and struggling not to weep. I had not realised how much damage Morrigan had already caused my old friends, how much pain they had been through. And now they feared events were about to repeat themselves, that more deaths were going to be caused inadvertently by the Mother’s vindictive hand. However, there was still something bugging me. The people and events Arnold told me about Dunstan’s life did not totally match up to the Master’s.

“Arnold, tell me who is the ‘she’ you spoke of earlier?”

Arnold looked up and smiled, a true smile that lightened his eyes. It was the first time I had seen him with that expression since we came into Edith’s hidden room.

“I speak of Amalia of course.”

I blinked then frowned very firmly. “Yes, Amalia and I are both Witches but how we are tied to Dunstan and the Master are totally different.” I protested.

Arnold shrugged. “In a way there are differences, yes. Amalia was human and remained so to her death, Dunstan made sure of that but what Dunstan felt for Amalia I am sure the Master feels for you.”

I blinked slowly while the happiness began to burst into life. However I quickly smothered it and retreated into denial, reminding myself how my blood is his life. Hissing and baring my fangs, I lowered myself on the chair and edged away from him.

“Lucius does not love me. He trapped me here since I was a child and cursed me with vampirism and being sealed. The only reason he keeps me alive is as a food supply and to ensure he remains sane.” I snapped.

Arnold’s eyes narrowed with annoyance. “The Master trapped you here and will remain to do so while you are still unsafe. The Ancient that killed your Family did it out of revenge and will still be hunting you. While you are here under his protection you are safe. And he did not turn you to ensure his sanity would still be intact through your blood Susan. I doubt that even entered his mind when he thought you were dying in that old factory.” He snarled in retaliation albeit in a calmer tone than mine.

We were silent for a moment as we bared our fangs at each other, glaring and hissing until Arnold backed down.

“Whether or not you hide from his feelings will make no difference in this game however. The deed that Morrigan would’ve wanted the Master to perform is already done. Now all she needs is to play with the Master, taunt him with the fact she can torture him through you. You are his true weakness Susan. The Master would sooner allow himself to be torn to shreds or thrown into the sun than let you be harmed by Morrigan.” He ignored my disbelieving snort and carried on. “The reason why I told you about this past is so then you understand why the Master and Alphonse will be very wary and uptight, and also to highlight the fact you must keep the knowledge of what you are away from the Mother. You must keep yourself safe. You are vital to whether or not the Master wins. As soon as the Mother finds out what you are and what you mean to him, the Master has lost.”

“But I already told you Arnold-” I started but was sharply interrupted.

“I know you do not want to know but you must believe when I say you are the vital piece in the game, to whether one side wins or loses. You must put yourself before others at all cost Susan.”

I wanted to argue but the tone of his voice and the harshness of his normally gentle face made me think twice. I glared and puffed out my cheeks then sighed heavily.

“Fine, whatever. Just as long as we get through this alive I don’t particularly care.” I grumbled.

He patted my knee strongly and smiled. “Good. Now you can stay here a little while to think if you wish. Just make sure you hear the door shutting behind when you go out.”

I nodded and watched him as he stood and shuffled out the room quietly and left me alone in the sorrow haunted room.

I glanced about half-heartedly and decided to move about when a pang of discomfort echoed about in my body. Sitting on this small chair was not doing my body any good. I stood and stretched out the kinks I had gathered and when a small teddy caught my attention I kneeled down before it and stared at it.

It was once a light brown teddy that wore the outfit of a ballerina however the pink and brown was now grey from the dust and dirt. Gently I reached down and picked it up, bringing it to my face to blow away the dust which I regretted when I inhaled some of the explosion of dirt and began to choke heavily. Once I had cleared my throat I looked back at the slightly less grey bear and thought.

This teddy was once the play thing of little Edith, a child kept hidden out of fear of her own grandmother. So much fear of that single vampire which caused so much death. I frowned and sat down to let the bear sit in my lap.

Lucius had killed them, his own brother and his brother’s lover. Imagining the Master killing a vampire who was a member of this Clan, someone he cares for, was very difficult. He must’ve known how dire their situation was to accept such a task and Amalia and Dunstan must’ve been truly trapped to see death as the only way out. And then there was Abigail, killed because she stood against Morrigan.

I frowned and squeezed the bear. This woman truly was a monster. To be able to toy with her sons and enjoy life only when she sees suffering...it made me furious just thinking about her. But I would not let her harm the Master. If Arnold said that keeping myself a secret was the only way to protect anyone then I would do so. And while I was doing that I would be planning.

I grinned joyfully and held the bear tight to my chest.

Looks like I have found myself a new target.