Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 4

I lay curled in a ball in my small bed as I thought. The room was tiny but held about ten iron beds with enough room for moving. Normally light would be flooding in as the sun glared outside but the window was covered with a thick blackout curtain to ensure our minds think it was currently night. Darkness was the only time we became active alongside the vampires we served and cared for.

I had passed the young master's deranged message on though I am not sure how she took it. She looked at me with a very blank expression, and not the sort of blank expression I adopt. It was just a mask of hopelessness and defeat. I strangely felt very sympathetic towards the girl and that is very rare for me. I sighed heavily at the thought and opened my eyes. Suddenly I stiffened when I looked at the date on the calendar that was on my side table and my mind abruptly remembered him. The man I was waiting for. I hadn’t made any plans, none. No choice of weapon or time and place of attack. I had absolutely no idea about how I was going to try to kill him this time.

I grumbled and covered my face with the thick blanket while I cursed Alphonse angrily. It was his fault that I wasn’t concentrating on the Master's return and my next attempt at killing him and I had a funny feeling that was partly what he intended.

I snuggled down and summoned the image of the master in my mind. His long dark hair. His deep emotional eyes. His soft masculine face. His tall perfect body and hard chest that I wish to shove a stake through.

I smiled happily and closed my eyes, playing different scenarios of my master's death by my hands and drifted off to sleep. Which was to be disturbed about half an hour later.

I woke when I felt movement in the room. I shot up quickly and looked around the dark room quickly. I couldn’t see anyone. I then noticed something over in the corner bed, the one were Ella was sleeping.

And it was empty.

I swore quietly and savagely, realising what she had done and darted out of the room. I didn’t even bother to throw a robe over my nightdress and legged it through the manor, ignoring the pain I was feeling through my cold and abused feet.

Nobody was allowed to live after they witnessed an attack by an insane vampire, or a parasite as we call those who turn mad. But a decree was passed through by the old Clans, like this one, that just because a human survived an attack does not mean they should be killed as well. So any survivors were now spread across the aristocracy to work as slaves. That way they keep those who are witnesses safe and protect their own kind at the same time. But many of slaves tried to escape and in the end owners were given the right to kill any who tried to run. This action died out a few years back however, when the new queen was found. Many in this household still retained that tradition however and it wasn’t just Alphonse who stuck by that law. There are some of the lesser vampires of the house who live here and are very traditional. Which meant Ella’s life is now in danger.

I skidded across the main halls floor as I stopped. The front door was open and, if I focused very carefully, I could see a figure running like her life depended on it down the drive.

I launched my self into a sprint and ran after the girl.

“Stop Ella!” I screamed.

I saw her look over her shoulder but didn’t stop; in fact she did the exact opposite and sped up. I growled and ignore that faint throb that was gently growing on my leg. Pushing myself harder, I thought of what my parents said when I needed to catch a vampire. I’m sure the Master would forgive me if I used a little bit to protect one of my fellow slaves. I forced my way through the mental block in my mind, wrenching open a hole and let a little power leak from behind the wall and strengthen my legs. Suddenly I was moving a lot quicker but the throb was now like being stabbed with an ice cold knife. That block was not meant to be tampered with. I kept going, still calling her as I was rapidly covering ground. I could feel the mark my Master gave me beginning to take effect as my legs began to go numb. My determintaion grew however when I could hear her breathing. I reached out and could see that I was nearly there but the mark wasn’t going to let me go much further. The large black gates entwined with creepers loomed like a warning in front of me. I knew this was as far as my Master would allow me to go. In a desperate attempt to save Ella’s life, I paused and bunched the muscles in my legs then launched myself at her, tackling her to the ground.

She screamed loudly as I landed on her back and held her there. She struggled hard but I held on forcing power into my arms to keep her from moving. I winced as suddenly there was a very unpleasant burning sensation in my head. The mark was spreading its reach to my mind, trying to stop me from escaping and using this extra strength, or so it was made to do.

Ella eventually gave up and cried hard in the pebble ground.

“Why? Why did you stop me? I was so close!” She screamed.

“I saved your life Ella!” I snapped. “You think that they would just let you waltz out of the house? Don’t be so stupid! They would have killed you!”

“Then I’d rather be dead than live without him!”

That silenced me as a pang of empathy rippled through me. I had thought I would rather die than live without my family. After I escaped numerous times my Master warned me he would kill me if I did it again after I caused trouble with the nearby pack. So, obviously, I tried again hoping he would do as he said. But he didn’t. Instead he swept me away to Romania and the white haired vampire that resided there, where I was marked and tied me to his whim and home. Anything he said I could not refuse, my body automatically obeyed, and the mark was meant to disable me if I ever tried to run away. But in a weird and twisted way, after so many years of being his slave, he gave me a reason to live and that reason was to kill him and regain my freedom. It was the only thing that kept me going.

I then thought of Alphonse and what he so obviously felt for Ella yet didn’t understand. I didn’t want to see the expression on his face if he heard what she said. While the guy was cold and snobbish, he was kind once you understood him.

“You will live. I am not going to let you throw your life away.”

“And what life do I have here?” She snarled.

“Make yourself one if you don’t have one. Don’t just sit there and complain about it. Every single human in this house has gone through exactly the same thing as you. But they haven’t given up. They have learnt to live with what the Master has given them and hope that one day they will be freed.” I snapped back just as equally aggressive. “Hell, some of them actually like living here and don't want to leave.” I felt a slight sense of victory when I saw the anger slowly fade from her face. “Now don’t be such a defeatist and live here a little. Then if you really can’t see anyway of living without your beloved, go ahead and kill yourself. Agreed?”

There was a slight pause before she mumbled something.

“Speak up if you have something to say.” I snapped.

“Fine!” She shouted. “Now get off me. I won’t run anymore.”

I sighed and rolled over onto my back. I watched as she got to her feet and dusted down her night clothes. She looked down at me with a strange expression as I did not move from where I lay at the mouth of the gate.

“Are you not getting up?”

“Would if I could but I can’t.”

Her thin eyebrows slowly drew together. “But you came running down here like a lunatic just a moment ago.”

I faint smile played on my mouth. “I’m a really unlucky one Ella.”

Ella seemed to ignore the comment and bent down to help me up.

“No, stop.” I said wincing when a sharp stab of pain shredded my legs. “I can only be moved by vampire. I have to wait until the evening. The young master will come get me.”

She sat down beside me and hugged her legs close to her body silently.

“What are you doing? Go back inside. I can just say I tried to escape, it won’t be anything new to them.”

“Won’t you be killed?”

I laughed. “If they wanted me dead they would have killed me years ago.”

Annoyance seemed to emit from her strongly. “How come you won’t get killed if you tried to escape but I will?”

“The master gave me five chances, like he does for everyone else before he kills you for escaping. I ran out of chances but just got a limiter instead of a bullet in the head.”

“Why?”

I gave her a funny look. Come to think of it, I don’t quite understand why the Master refused to kill me.

“I’m not sure.” I said honestly. “I thought he would want to tear my throat out when he found out what I am but he still let me live.”

“And what exactly are you?”

“I am a witch.”