Status: Well, didn't finish it before graduation but we did finish it =D Hope everyone enjoys.

How far out can you get before there's no turning back?

Chapter 4

"You might want to watch out, I'm still planning it. And no that's not a threat, that's a promise." I gasped as Kayla whispered that into my ear and ran away.

I stood there for a minute before I collapsed into one of the chairs in the employees' snack room. I felt wet drops of water running down my cheek. Surprised, I lifted my hand up to my face. I hadn't even realized I had been crying. Just as I was thinking this, I heard footsteps coming from the back of the store towards me.

I quickly wiped the tears off my face and stood up. I was walking towards the door when my boss Jean walked into the room. "Paige, what are you doing in-," she stopped as soon as she saw my face. "Oh my, what's wrong darling?" she asked, startled.

"Oh, nothing," I said, trying to play it off. "I just had an encounter with an old acquaintance of mine." She looked at me concerned and said, "Well, I hope it wasn't that horrible Mikayla girl that you had to deal with last year."

I smiled at her and lied, "No, of course not, I doubt that Kayla would show her face around a place like this." I didn't want to tell Jean about Kayla, who knows how Kayla would act if she found out that I was talking about her, trying to get her in trouble again. I shuddered as different possibilities popped into my head.

Jean still looked concerned," Do you want to go home early today, Paige?"

"No thanks, Jean. I think that I'll stay the rest of my shift. I'm okay, really." Jean still didn't look convinced, but she didn't argue with me anymore.

When my shift was over three hours later, I said a quick goodbye to Jean and went outside to my car. The drive home took about fifteen minutes. Once home I quickly parked my car in the driveway and went inside.

My mom and dad wouldn't be home for quite awhile so I was home alone. I dashed up the stairs and was heading towards my room when I stopped in my tracks.

What is that smell? I wondered as I started walking towards my room again.

The smell was only getting stronger as I got closer to my room. It smelt like copper and salt.

Like blood, I thought, my mind automatically skipping to the worst possible thing the smell could be. I shook my head at myself for being so stupid. I then walked into my room and screamed.

Lying on the floor was my cat, Lacey. There was blood everywhere, on her white coat, on the floor around her, there was even some blood on the walls. I quickly ran to the bathroom and vomited in the toilet.

Who would do such a thing? I wondered. A name immediately popped into my head, Kayla. No, Paige, I thought, you're probably just jumping to conclusions.

I tried but I could not think of anyone else it could possibly be. I shook my head and got ready to deal with the task at hand.

I picked up Lacey's body, and I buried it in the back yard. After that I went and cleaned every bit of blood that was in my room. This process took about an hour because it took awhile to get the stain out of the carpet.

After I was done, I sat on my bed and pulled my knees up to my chest and started to cry. I cried not only for the lost life of my cat, but also from the feeling that Lacey's death was supposed to be a message to me. A message saying you're next. I hoped I was wrong.