Status: Complete X

Don't Worry

Don't Worry

“What we have goes beyond friendship, beyond lovers -- its forever.”

“We do?” I looked at Sam with a raised eyebrow raising my head of his comfortable and lean chest.

“Yeah we do” he says glancing at me smiling softly. “We go way back Sophie. Remember Alistair?” He asks.

I pull a face as Sam reminds me of the time when I was completely obsessed with Alistair. I’d do anything just to be with him and I mean ANYTHING! I shake my head and lay back down. I’m glad that I feel saw that Alistair was not the one for me. I mean I was 17 then. I’m 22 now.

“So what did you mean by the whole friendship and lovers thing?” As I place my chin on his skinny chest.

“Well, it means that connection, you know, that feeling we both have? It’s gonna last forever. This pull we both have on each other. It’s a sign Sophie.” Sam lifts my chin and looks into my eyes . I look back searching his eyes and wondering what brought this on. I know it’s a good thing that he’s talking about us like this because I’ve seen other relationships that have deteriorated because both people don’t talk enough. So I am lucky that Sam is talking about this but to be honest the guy’s freaking me out!

“I know everyone said that friends can never be a good strong couple who’ll last but, there are still things that we both haven’t uncovered.” I raise my eye-brow at this.

“Okay so you still don’t know things about me?” I ask amused.

“You know what I mean Soph” he says mock-exasperatedly. “But , and I know this will sound corny but bear with me, but you know it’s like what happens in movies and books, that’s what’s happened with us”

“ We both fell in love spontaneously like in Notting Hill and nearly lost each other because you couldn’t cope with my fame and though we‘d be better of apart?” I ask confused.

“Noooo” Sam looks at me like I’d lost my marbles. Well it’s not my fault that I’d watched Notting Hill the day before. “ we both fell in love with a bang!” he says

“Okay, Sam that’s enough Red Bull for you” I laugh as I feel around for the can that he placed on the floor over half and hour ago and push it farther away from both of us, so that we’re not tempted to take anymore of the caffeinated drink.

“Ha ha. But it’s true isn’t it? I mean at first we were just friends, there was no powerful chemistry, sexual empowering feeling between us, there was just lukewarm, gentle companionable feelings and then, one day BAM! But we are going to last aren‘t we?” Sam demonstrates the BAM with hand movements and all. Jerky hand movements.

I lift my hand and touch my fingertips on his slim, large hands gently pushing them down. This is most definitely not like Sam, something must’ve happened . Someone must’ve said something. Again.

“Sam” I ask quietly” What’s the matter, you know that I love you. Why are you stressing out about what happened ages ago”

Sam goes quiet. I lift my eyes and look into the warm green eyes, that envelope me in a sheath of love whenever the gaze lands upon me. His eyes probe my grey eyes, searching.

“It’s the people at University, isn’t it? God they won‘t let it go will they!” I say angrily.

What is it with these jerks? Do they have some sick obsession with breaking us up. It really annoys me. It really does. There’s only one person who is justifiable to having bitch fit over us both and she isn’t even in the city, but her bitch of an older sister is. Though it wasn’t fair what we both did.

But God when I saw them that’s when I realized it. Or I began to realize it. I remember feeling jealous and angry when I saw them together. I so very tried badly to pass it off me being a concerned best friend, but anyone who knows me saw through it.

Sophie-21 years old.- Flashback-Memory

God why can’t it be anyone but Lillian Simmons’s younger sister? She’s a freaking viper. How can they possibly be related? I mean Julia Simmons actually looks tame and nice. Okay I’ve got to stop thinking about them.

I sit on the couch in the apartment me and Sam share, sitting in OUR couch. Yeah this freaking couch is special. Me and Sam have had seriously, thoughtful conversations to stupid, scrabble filled conversations. It could be interpreted as our spot. Can you actually believe it that we found it in a charity shop for like £50 pounds? Course Sam had to do a lot of haggling and negotiations with cashier. For haggling and negotiations read flirting and complementing. I remember standing next to him incredulously and bemused as he complemented her fluffy cardigan and started slipping in lowering the prices. Always the charmer, my friend McKenzie says.

I throw my self on the hard but comfortable surfaces, looking at the disfigured ceiling above me and looking at the interloping patterns of the wallpaper and comparing them to my life. Yes, my life is complicated and twisty and tiring. But I love it. My phone beeps and I look at the text message from McKenzie.

“U’ve gtta tell him tht u lyk him
Or I wil
X”


I put the phone down not bothering to reply back or exit to the home screen. I sigh and breath my breath out slowly. It was irrevocably that I’d developed more feeling for him you know. I mean for Christ’s sake we live together! But I’ve never felt jealous over his girlfriends or dates. Concerned. Yes. Nosy? Most definitely! But not that sick feeling at the bottom of the pit of my stomach that achy feeling whenever someone mentions Sam and any girl. I hate clichés and now my life has suddenly became one. I look for my Mp3 player and grasper the light compact player and fumble for it’s headphones jamming them into my ears, switching it on and feeling the harmonious, sweet music. I close my eyes and think all the good times with Sam. I smile gently.

I blink open my eyes.

“Holy SHIT-” I yell. I see Sam standing in front of me, standing perfectly seriously and looking at me with solemn eyes. I jump up and yank the earphones and throw them onto the couch standing up and trying to calm my heartbeat down.

“Don’t fucking do that, Sam!” I shout. “ I though you were going out with Julia, what the hell are you doing home here?” I spit. “ Yes, that perfectly alright Sophie. He will have no idea now that you’ve got feelings for him.

Sam looks at me hard. His green eyes, probing and quickly looking over my face.

“What’s the matter with you, Soph?” he finally asks.

“Nothing I was just surprised. So where you taking her” I probe in further. I’m jealous I finally acknowledge it myself.

“ Oh, nowhere particular” he says lazily. He sits down in the spot I’d just vacated and picks up my phone. I turn around to see him reading the message and instantly realize what he’s reading

“Sam” I croak out.

He looks up at me. His eyes questioning and confused

“So… you like me then?”

Yeah, course I do Sam I mean, you my best friend we live together, why else wouldn’t I like you” I lie, unfailing to convinced anyone. I’m not sure that I’ve convinced myself.

“The other like, Sophie.” he asks sternly.

“Yeah, so I do.” I mutter, my cheeks red. I’m so fricking pissed off, my fricking life is going just like a fricking clichéd teen movie.

He puts his two finger under my small pointy chin and lift them up gently, looking at me in the eyes, searching them to see if I’m telling the truth. The guy could always read me like a book.

“ You should’ve have freaking told me Soapy” He uses my old childhood nickname. Something that I haven’t heard in a long time.

“I should’ve ? Why? So I can embarrass myself and you can go freaking laugh about with Julia, not on this watch honey, not on this watch” I say angrily, wrenching myself away from his grasp and hunching myself and, I sit down on the couch and hunch my body forward.

Sam bends down and uncurls me , his slim hands at the top of my bare arms , lightly holding me and trying to catch my averted gaze.

“Because” he stops and takes a breath in. “Because I like you too.


I look up, shocked.

I shake my head gently and look at Sam.

“Look, Sam I know people are gonna bitch and moan about it and I feel for Julia as well, but we know that what we have is going to last for a long time don’t we?” I cup my hands around Sam’s face and look into his green eyes.

I know, Soph, but it’s just getting damned annoying. Y’know, Lillian and her crew , telling me that you probably fucking every person on the football team and it’s just.” Sam breaks off.

I lift me head and touch my lips to his warm soft lips and gently press a kiss.

“We’ll get through it Sam in about 2 weeks, we’re graduating and we won’t need to see them again, Okay? They won’t piss us off, we just need to get through it for like two weeks.”

“I still don’t know what I did to deserve you, Sophie” I hear Sam mutter.

“I know. I’m a gift from heaven. I love you Sam”

“I do too Soph. I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is entered in for PBnJLovingOutsider's contest
I had an awesome time writing it and check out my other one-shots
Leave a comment please
X
© 2010 Sania Sahgal