Polar Bears

“Do you know how much they weigh?”

Jacob wandered back to the bar, a half-drunk glass of wine resting in his hand. It was fairly quiet tonight; only half the tables were occupied, and a dozen or so of the bar stools were empty. Nevertheless, there was still a chance for him to score.

He approached one of the single women at the far end of the bar. "Excuse me," he inquired, placing a hand on her shoulder, "I was wondering if you could help me?"

The woman looked up, revealing a pair of large brown eyes and a tiny nose. "Help with what?"

"Do you know how much a polar bear weighs?"

The woman thought for a moment, before shaking her head. "No, sorry. How much?"

"Enough to break the ice," Jacob replied, offering his hand. "Hi, I'm Jacob."

The woman smiled, taking Jacob's hand in her own. "Sandra."

"And what's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?" Jacob asked, flashing what he thought was a seductive grin.

"Actually, I'm waiting for my boyfriend; he's meeting me here in a couple of minutes."

"Your boyfriend wouldn't happen to be me, would he?"

Sandra laughed. "You wish. No, big guy named Tim, works out a lot, has a motorbike. Now don't you have some other person to try and flirt with?"

Jacob sighed and walked away, defeated. Well, there were always other women he could score with.