Status: Oneshot//Finished

Just Breathe

One

The music flowed through the room as I set the record on the turn table and put the needle down. The music wafted through the air, like a flower, but instead of filling the room with its sweet fragrance it filled it with its wonderful notes. I took a breath to steady myself as I walked into the center of the room and waited for my cue.

The light happy sound filled the air and I began to move with the music. Flowing, taking the tiny steps to the right and the left, twirling slowly, leaving my problems behind. It was perfect. I was perfect until he felt the urge to walk in and ruin it.

He was Rick Savage better known as ‘Sav’ and even though he was a friend he still ruined it. As he opened the door it let out a squeal of protest, as if it was getting too old for its job and it demanded to be retired immediately. I froze when I heard the squeal and the music continued on, leaving me behind. I sighed as Rick let out a hearty chuckle. So let me just get this straight, first he comes in whether on purpose or by accident and ruined my practice, and then he laughs when I get frustrated because he ruined it in the first place.

“What are you doing here? I thought you were busy.” I said in a short clipped tone as I quickly walked across the cool hardwood floor to get to the record player.

“Plans fell through and I figured you’d be here so I thought I’d drop by to see ya.” He said as he moved towards the record player, trying to get to it before I did. “No need to hurry luv, I’ll get it.” He said as I shot him a look. No, I didn’t want him to get it, I wanted to get it myself because that was MY record and I didn’t want him to touch it.

“No, I’ll get it,” I said firmly letting out another sigh as he got to the record first and lifted the needle up, smirking at me. “That was nice of you, but I’m still practicing for Saturday.” I told him, replying to what he had said earlier. Why did he have to come and visit now? When I was practicing and I was extremely stressed out for the dance competition that was in one days time and I did mean extremely.

“I know you are, that’s why I came. I wanted to see you practice.” Rick said a twinkle in his eye as I sighed. No the point of me practicing was so I could do it alone, so I could perfect every move I would make for the competition, not for Rick to come and see me when his plans didn’t work out.

“But if you see me practice then it’s not going to be a surprise when you see me at the competition.” I replied in my soft voice, I already knew where this was going. He wasn’t just dropping by to see me practice, he was also coming to tell me that he couldn’t make it to the competition because when his plans fell through they had also been rearranged for Saturday.

“About that...” He said after a moment. Damn it Rick! See what did I say, I knew it I knew he was going to do that. “I was wondering if you’d mind if I brought a friend with me.” He added, as I took a deep breath. It depended on what type of a friend he was planning to bring, his buddy? Sure he could bring a buddy but a girlfriend. Not at my dance competition, sorry Rick but I was a dancer not you and some girl’s form of entertainment.

“Sure, go ahead.” I said after a moment and nodded my head. “I gotta practice now; I mean I have to be perfect for the competition.” Tiredly I rubbed my eyes as Rick let out another chuckle.

“Glad you don’t mind and I think you’d like him actually.” Rick said sending me a smirk, so he was bringing a friend that wasn’t a girl. How interesting. “Why don’t you just go get some rest? You look exhausted luv and I’m sure you’ll do fine.” He told me as I shot him a glare.

“I’ll get rest later, I want to just run through it now though, and just make sure that I know all the moves.” I replied as he rolled his eyes. “And plus it’s probably better if I just spend the night here.” I mumbled to myself, if I slept here that meant that I would be on time for a competition once.

“Why would it be better if you stayed here overnight?” Rick asked sending me a confused look, I sighed.

"'Cause then I'd be on time for the competition." I answered, he nodded his head, "now would you mind turning the music on so that I can practice?" I added after a moment.

"Sure." He answered shortly as I stepped onto the cold floor, I watched as he put the needle down and the music once again began to flow through the air.

***

I listened to the lovely music notes as they flowed through the air, letting my body flow with the music notes. I knew the routine, I had practiced it plenty times I knew what I was doing, I knew it. I could do this, I could win. The music stopped and so did I. People clapped as I smiled to them, scanning the crowd for my parents, who of course weren’t there and Rick who was clapping and whistled. I smiled and bowed my head before I left the stage.

A short while later I left the stage area wearing regular clothes and holding a gold medal, I was holding a bag which contained the outfit that I had been wearing out onstage. Around me other dancers left and were greeted by family members but not me, I kept on walking alone.

“Amanda!” Rick’s voice called my name, a very un-English sounding name that belonged to believe it or not a very English girl. I turned and stood on my toes, trying to spot him through the crowd. I waited a moment for Rick and his mysterious friend to catch up. “You did awesome luv!” He told me as he gave me a hug that barely lasted a moment.

“Thanks, I’m glad you came to watch.” I replied as his friend gave me a uncertain smile.

“Course, I said I’d be here didn’t I, this is Joe.” Rick said finally introducing his friend who I smiled politely at

“Well I’m glad that both you guys came to see me.” I replied as Joe offered his hand out to me, I gave him a smile before shaking his hand. He held my hand for a fraction longer and gave it a light squeeze winking at me before he let go of my delicate hand. A blush creeped into my cheeks and I giggled softly.

“Well if we’re not waiting for anyone let’s go.” Rick said as I looked up, right I was leaving the dance competition.

“Yeah I guess we should be on our way.” Joe said after a moment as I bobbed my head.

“Yeah well I guess I’ll see you around.” I replied Rick nodded his head.

“I’ll see you around.” Joe said, winking at me causing me to blush all over again.

“See you.” I said earning a disgruntled look from Rick. What I wasn’t allowed to make friends with his friends, how fair was that and plus by the way things seemed I had a feeling that me and Joe were going to be very good friends.