Sequel: Undecided
Status: Compleat!

Unexpected

The Time of the Moon

Cat’s POV
I awoke the next morning to Mollie pushing me onto the floor. I groaned and sat up rubbing my face where I had landed. I peered out the window and saw that the time of the moon was almost over. The first colors of the day were starting to appear. I stood up and pushed Mollie out onto the floor on the other side of my bed.
“Ouch,” she wined as she stood up rubbing her butt.
“Shouldn’t have pushed me onto the floor on my face now should you have?” I questioned and went into the bath room to take a shower. Once I was done I smiled and got dressed in a pair of vary ripped up jeans and a midnight blue tank top. I put my feather jewelry on and tied my hair up in a pony tail. I walked out of my bathroom just as Mollie walked out of hers dressed similar to me. Her jeans weren’t as ripped and she was in a bright yellow tee-shirt. I smiled at her and slipped on my converse as she pulled on her knee high boots and zipped them up over her jean legs.
“Can we go and get breakfast now?” she asked rubbing her belly with a frown.
“Yeah lets go eat. I have to talk to someone before we leave though.”
“Oh really? Who?” she asked as we walked down the stairs arm in arm.
“Draco. We have to invite him and his family to the ball this Christmas. I know you don’t want to but mum told us that everyone who’s ANYONE goes and his family is almost as well connected as ours seeing as mum was promised to Mr. Malfoy before she ran away and married dad.”
“YOUR JOKING!”
“Nope I’m not. You should really research our family sometime.”
“No not that, I don’t care about that. No I’m talking about Dorkfoy, do we really have to invite him and his bacon fat haired father and stupid, yet very fashionable, mother.” She complained while touching the scarf that Mrs. Malfoy had given her for our birthday.”
“Yes we do. Besides there is something you should know and don’t be mad or I will NEVER talk to you again as long as I live.”
“Ok chill, I just got you back there is no way I’m going to lose you again.”
“And that is exactly why I’m telling you now that Draco is one of my best friends here,” I informed her as I sat down across from her facing the Slytherin table. She just glared at me but accepted that I had never hated him and she does.
“So I have to tolerate him for your sake but I WILL NOT be nice to him unless he stops being a royal arse.”
“All I can ask is you don’t try and hex or kill him every chance you get.”
“I’ll see what I can do but I make no promises,” I rolled my eyes at her and finished eating my food. Once we were done I stood up and she followed shortly after I glared at her. We reached the end of the table and I dragged her over to the Entrance Hall where I saw Draco about to go outside.
“DRACO!” He turned and looked at me a smile on his face. Then he looked to my left where Mollie was grudgingly being pulled with me he looked at me questioningly. “We made up, and I told her about us.”
“Oh, and she’s ok with it?”
“No, but as long as she’s happy I guess I can’t do anything about it,” she said curtly as she glared at him.
“I see. So did you need something Cat?”
“Yeah, here. This is an invite to the Christmas Ball at Grandma Ashling’s, I mean our estate. It’s for you and your parents. It’s on Christmas Eve, it’s also a masquerade ball so everyone has to be in costume and masks.”
“Sounds like fun. So what will you be dressed as so I can find you?”
“Not telling, it’s a surprise that you’ll have to figure out on your own at the ball. I’ll see you then, we aren’t taking the train to our estate, mum said we had a special ride.” He nodded and gave me a quick hug. He tries to let go and I just hug him tighter. He chuckles and hugs me tighter too.
“AHEM!” Mollie clears her throat over enthusiastically and pulls me backwards. “Our ride is here. They sent us two horses.” I look outside and smile.
“Not horses, Pegasus.”
“Huh?”
“Pegasus, they are one of the animals that serve me.” I walk up to the two huge horses and smile. I hold my hands out to them and blow in their noses so that they can get used to me. “What are you names I wonder,” I look down along the line of their necks and see a name plate on each one. I lift the gold plate on the palomino and read it. “Frostfire,” I flip it over and see that there is a sun insignia on the back. “Mollz, this is your Pegasus,” I glance around at his underside. “She is called Frostfire.”
“Really? Are you sure?”
“Yeah, there’s a sun insignia on the back of her name plate.”
“Cool, so how do I ride her?”
“The same way you ride Peppermint.”
“There’s no saddle.”
“You’ve never ridden bare back?”
“I was too afraid to ride a horse younger than ten let alone ride bareback little miss ‘I’m the best junior equestrian in Ireland’.”
“What are you talking about? I’m not the best in Ireland I’m the third best in Ireland. Parker and Elin are the first and second.”
“Whatever, why are you so good at athletics?”
“Why are you so good at school?”
“It’s a trait of the sun.”
“It’s a trait of the moon,” I smirked back. She sticks her tongue out at me.
“So what’s your horses’ name?” I look around to find out what gender my Pegasus is and smirk.
“He’s is a Pegasus, and a stallion. He’ll be a feisty one,” I pick up his silver name plate and look at it. Orion, really? Wow that’s ironic, or maybe not I don’t really understand what happened to him after he died, come to think of it, no one really knows how he died. Oh well, if I were meant to know I would.
“Ok smarty pants, what’s his name?”
“Orion, I know ironic. Now let’s go to Grammie’s house,” I mounted Orion and gripped him tightly with my legs and wrapped my fingers in his main. “Come on Molls get up there,” She looked at Frostfire skeptically then at me.
“I can’t,” I rolled my eyes and looked at the twins.
“George, help her up please.”
“My pleasure. Come on Mollie, up you get,” George lifted her up and placed her on Frostfire’s back. She looked at his back and neck then at me. I rolled my eyes.
“Hold on tight with your legs and tangle your fingers into his main,” She did as I told her.”Alright, LETS GO!” I shouted and both took off into the sky. Their huge wings filling with air as both Pegasus spread them wide. I smiled and let go of the Orion’s main I spread my arms out wide and tossed my head back loving the feel of flight. We flew for a very long time and finally reached the Irish Sea.
“Mollz! How are you doing?” I called below me. She was so not liking this. Frostfire I guess sensed this and was flying about 200 feet below Orion and me.
“I think I’m ok! How are you?”
“Cold!”
“Hang on, let me try something!” She closed her eyes and concentrated really hard. A moment later the sun was out from behind the clouds and several rays were directed onto my bear arms. “Better?”
“Yeah! Thanks! I don’t think I’m going to be wearing tank tops to fly in the winter anymore,” She laughed at me.
“Yeah that would probably be a good thing smart one!” I glared at her and kicked Orion to go faster. He obliged and I steered him around so that we were flying right towards Mollie. I glared evilly and directed Orion into a sharp dive right at Frostfire and Mollie.
“SNEAK ATTACK DIVE BOMB!” I called as we flew right past them and then back up. Mollie screamed and clung to Frostfire’s neck.
“YOU ARE SO MEAN!”
“I was just getting you back my dear sister. So now we’re even,” I smiled and turned Orion back around and we went back to flying normally for a bit. I got board and directed him to the ground, well the water. We were skimming right over the surface of the water and the mist was blowing back up around me like I was Ariel from the Little Mermaid. I looked down into the water and saw a mermaid poking her head out of the water. I smiled and waved, she smiled and bowed. A moment later there were hundreds of mer-people on the surface bowing to me. I waved at them all and took off back up to the sky.
“Did you enjoy that?” I glared at her and flew on ahead. She laughed and we flew on in silence. Once we reached the mainland I took a deep breath.
“MOLLIE WE’RE HOME!”
“I KNOW I CAN SMELL IT!” We were so excited; we had missed our home land so much. I looked down at the rolling emerald hills of my home. I could see Dublin just barley up here. It was a ways away and we were flying farther from it. We made our way farther south until it was dark. I could hear the ocean and felt Orion start to descend. I held on tightly and almost fell off when we landed roughly on the ground.
“OOF! Are we here?” Molls asked as she practically fell off of Frostfire.
“I don’t know. CAN WE GET SOME LIGHT PLEASE?!” Instantly everything it up, there were little pinpricks of light hovering around in the beautiful gardens. Upon closer inspection I saw that they were Pixies. I smiled and walked with Mollie over toward the house.
“Excuse us misses.” We looked down and saw four little creatures looking up at us.
“Um, hello. What are you?”
“We is house elves Mistress Catherine.” One with blond hair and blue eyes said to me. “I is your personal elf Rosewood.” She bowed deeply to me and another stepped forward and bowed. This one also had blond hair and blue eyes.
“I am Prince my lady. I am also your personal house elf.”
“Prince, Rosewood; call me Cat. No need for formalities I’ll be very angry otherwise.”
“Yes Cat.” They both chorused.
“Cat, may we call you ma'am when agreeing with you and when agreeing to do something for you?” Prince asked.
“I don’t care as long as you don’t call me princess, my lady, mistress, or miss.” They both nodded.
“Who are you two?” Mollie asked the other two standing there.
“I is Wendy.” Said a female with a bow, she had brown hair and green eyes.
“Yo, I’m Iggy.” A male said with bright red hair and brown eyes.
“We’re your personal house elves.”
“Cool, same goes for you two as for Cat’s elves, I’m Mollie or ma'am and nothing else.” They both nodded and turned.
“Follow us!” All four said and started to walk.
“So where exactly are we?” I asked.
“This estate is located in County Waterford five miles from the village of Portly. We are right on the coast.” Prince informed us.
“Cool, so we’re right by the ocean?” Mollie asked. I looked at her.
“Molls; one, we used to come here every summer for two weeks and play in the water, two, CAN YOU NOT HERE THE OCEAN!?”
“Shut up, I’m sleepy Kitty.” She stuck her tongue out at me and marched up to the house with Wendy and Iggy following right behind her.
“So I have a question. Why do you two look alike but Wendy and Iggy don’t? Are you two twins?”
“No, Miss. We is not. We is your personal house elves so we is taking on the appearance of what attracts you most.” Rosewood told me with a smile.
“So, I’m attracted to blue eyed blonds?”
“Apparently so.” Prince drawled very much like Draco. I giggled.
“Prince, you just sounded like my best guy friend.”
“If you say so.”
“You guys will get to meet him at the ball. I’ll be able to tell who he is instantly, it’s kind of hard to miss his “holier than thee” attitude.”
“OH KITTY CAT HOW I’VE MISSED YOU!” I looked up at the house and saw Grammy standing in the door way looking at me with a smile on her face.
“GRAMMY!” I ran at her and hugged her, well passed my arms through her.
“Hello dear how have you been?”
“Great! You?”
“I’m hanging in there love.” I smiled at her and looked passed her as a blue flame irrupted in the middle of the room.
“Artemis! Oh Artemis I missed you.” She flew over and perched on my arm and rubbed against me lovingly. “Did you take my bags to my room?” She cooed and I smiled.
“OH! Speaking of your room. You and Mollie are not sharing a room. She needs to be in the room that faces first light and you have to be in the room that faces first dark. So she’s in the East tower and you are in the North tower.”
“But Grammy, we always share a room. Ever since we were born we’ve been in the same room. Mom and Dad can’t even get us to room in different rooms.”
“Well you will have to start to now. Otherwise your powers will be out of control. At school you two share the top dorm in the tower correct?”
“Yes.”
“Are there windows all around it?”
“Yes.”
“Good. The elves will be returning with you to school and they will arrange your room accordingly. Also at your parents house you will be staying in your current room and Mollie will be moving into the empty room like your parents have been telling her to for the last three years.”
“Does she know this?”
“Yes I told her before you got here. She wasn’t very happy with it either. HOWEVER you will get used to it and you will NOT complain about it. Do you understand?”
“Yes ma'am.”
“Good. Now I have a question for you.”
“Ok, shoot.”
“Why are both of your elves platinum blond with ice blue eyes?” I looked next to me at Prince and Rosewood and saw for the first time exactly what they looked like. They looked like little Dracos. I laughed and shook my head.
“WOW! They look like little Dracos!”
“Who is Draco?”
“Draco Malfoy. He’s one of my best friends.”
“OH JOY! Lucius will be pleased! We shall enter into the marriage agreement straight away!”
“WAIT! No way! I am NOT going to marry someone because you tell me to. I want to marry them because I love them like mom did with dad. Why don’t you have Mollie marry Neville Longbottom or George Weasley? She’s in love with them, Draco and I are just friends. Well I think we are at least.”
“One, because she can’t decide who she likes more. That is why her elves look different. Two, the Malfoys are almost as powerful as the Moore’s while the Longbottom’s and Weasley’s, though they are both great families, are not. Three, you obviously love young master Malfoy if both of your elves look just like him.”
“Prince talks like him too.”
“EVEN BETTER!” There was a flash of green in the fireplace and Draco came out of it being dragged by his father and an elf with blue eyes and white and red hair was following closely looking scared. “Lucius, what is the meaning of this?”
“Sorry Lady Ashling, would you care to explain this to me?” Mr. Malfoy kicked the elf out in front of him and Draco. The elf squeaked and clutched its ribs.
“Mr. Malfoy is that necessary?!” I demanded kneeling down next to it and examining its ribs carefully.
“Lady Ashling control your granddaughter please. Ever since he was an infant and you insisted on giving him this elf of yours it has looked exactly like him mother, then me, then himself. Now it looks like one of your granddaughters. Either she’s toying with my boy or he’s lost his marbles.” He looked at my elves standing next to me defensively. “I see, so I take it we should enter…” Grammy stopped him with a look.
“No, and I agree with her, Lucius. Was that necessary?”
“They are below us and there for are our slaves and should be treated as such!” I stood up to my full height of 5’4” and looked at Rosewood and Prince to take care of Draco’s elf. They did as they were told even though I didn’t say a word.
“Mr. Malfoy, have you any idea the damage you could do to your servant by kicking it that hard? How would you like it if I kicked you like that? You are below me and by your reasoning you are my slave and should be treated as such.”
“Cat, don’t, please. Don’t make him angry.” I looked at Draco and saw bruises forming on his face.
“Do you hurt your son too?” Mr. Malfoy didn’t answer he just stood up straighter and glared at me, “Answer me or suffer the consequences.”
“I would do as she tells you Lucius. She and her sister are both very capable of causing serious problems without magic. Their mother decided that they needed to take karate class. Mollie is a Black belt and Cat is a Purple belt. One of Cat’s temper tantrums caused a large hole in the door of her old bedroom here. I think it’s funny so I never had it repaired. Mollie was practicing and broke my bench in the back garden, that never got fixed either.”
He still didn’t speak.
“The only reason I haven’t hurt you yet is because you’re Draco’s Father and Draco is my friend. So tell me or I will hurt you. Do you hit Draco?!”
Still didn’t speak.
“Damn your pride! Draco does he hurt you?” I looked at him and saw it in his eyes the answer. I glared at his father and had to force myself to not kill him.
“Um, Cat, since when are you an elemental?” Draco asked. I looked at him a confused expression on my face.
“Kitty Cat, You have water swirling about you.” Grammy told me. I looked around and saw that twelve rings of water were swirling and twisting about me.
“How do I stop it?”
“Relax and calm down.” I closed my eyes and thought about calming things but it wasn’t working.
“Draco, can I have a hug?”
“Um, ok. How do I get to you without being drenched?”
“Just walk to me and don’t be afraid. You’ll walk to me and not get wet.” A moment later I felt him wrap his arms around me and I heard the water splash. I opened my eyes and looked at a very soaked Mr. Malfoy. “Draco is staying here with me for as long as we are here.” I stated with finality. “Draco what is your elf’s name?”
“Pinky.”
“Rosewood, take Pinky somewhere she can heal and recover. Prince show Draco where he will be rooming and then take me to my room. As soon as I get into my room go back to Draco and find out what he needs from home. Get it and bring it here to him. Make sure he’s comfortable and explain what is going on to his mother. Rosewood as soon as you get Pinky situated for the night I need a hot bubble bath with spearmint and vanilla. Also I’m like starving so can you bring me something to eat? I don’t care surprise me. Everybody got it? Good, WAIT! Rosewood, before you do anything for me but after you take care of Pinky I need you and some of the other house elves to do SOMETHING with Mr. Malfoy.” I said all of this in Gaelic so that only the elves, myself, and Grammy knew what was going on. “Ready? Set. GO!”
“Cat? What’s going on?” Draco asked as I grabbed his arm and pulled him off after Prince.
“Just giving orders. Draco, Prince is going to take me to my room and then come back and help you with anything you need. He’ll go to your house and bring you anything you need as well as tell your mom what’s up. He’ll make sure you’re comfortable and have everything you need.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, and you’ll love him. He’s exactly like you are.”
“How do you mean?”
“He’s proper, well mannered, and thinks everyone is below him.”
“I don’t know if that was a compliment or a diss.”
“Draco, those are some of the things I love the most about you.”
“Oh, well thank you then.” I rolled my eyes and pushed him lightly.
“So why did your dad freak out?”
“Well when I got home and called Pinky to take my things to my room she looked different and dad freaked out. I don’t know why he just did.”
“What did she look like before she looked like me?”
“She looked like Prince and Rosewood.”
“Draco, how long have you been in love with me?”
“W-w-what?”
“You heard me. How long have you been in love with me? The only way that Pinky could look like me is if you are in love with me. Personal house elves take on the appearance of what attracts the owner the most. Like mine, they both have platinum blond hair and ice blue eyes.”
“You want the truth?”
“No I want you to lie to me. OF COURSE I WANT THE TRUTH!” He chuckled.
“Since I met you.”
“Really?”
“Yes really.”
“Cat this is your room. Master Malfoy the door on the left is your room.”
“Thank you Prince.”
“Yes thank you, can you bring me some clothes, my bathroom things and my broom.” Prince nodded and was gone in a loud crack.
“I want to see what my room looks like.” I pushed the door open and dragged him up the stairs. At the top I pushed open the door and saw a midnight blue and silver room with lots of windows. I walked over to one that had a big padded window seat and sat down to look at the moon over my shooting star flowers I had gotten for my birthday.
“It’s very you.”
“I love it. It’s so dark in here. It makes me happy.”
“So do you like your flowers?”
“Yeah, they’re beautiful. I got them for my birthday but I don’t know who gave them to me.”
“I did. I was too afraid to tell you how I felt about you.” I smiled and lay back against the wall watching the moon in silence. The next time I looked at Draco, he was sprawled out across my bed and it looked like he had been watching me before he fell asleep. I smiled and placed a blanket over him and crawled under my other blankest before going to sleep just as the moon was setting and the sun was rising.

“Cat, wake up.” A voice whispered in my ear shaking me gently.
“No.” I mumbled and rolled over.
“Your Grandmother says it’s time for your water training.” Draco whispered in my ear. “She says it is the beginning of the time of the moon, whatever that means. But you did sleep all day.”
I shot up out of my bed and went and took a fast shower and got dressed.