Sequel: Undecided
Status: Compleat!

Unexpected

If we Just Stick Together

“Would you stop touching me!?” I yelled and slapped away whoever’s hand had been poking me for the past thirty seconds.
“Don’t be such a crank,” Cat laughed and resumed poking me.
“Five more minutes and then I’ll get up for class alright?” I tried to bargain and she continued laughing.
“Lessons ended yesterday oh smart one. It’s Christmas break now,” she informed me and I sighed.
“Then why on earth are you waking me up?” I demanded while stretching out and listening to my back crack in multiple sections.
“Because Grandma Ashling says that it’s time for your training. I’ve been up all night. It’s your turn now,” she answered and snapped my bed sheet out from around me. I rolled onto floor and heard my knee cap make a most unpleasant popping sound as it collided with the rug covered concrete.
“Something tells me it’s not suppose to make that sound,” I half laughed, half moaned as my knee began to throb, “Help me out here Cat.”
“What’s the magic word?” she chimed while rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet.
“Pwease,” I said and pouted dramatically.
“Well, if I must,” she teased and grabbed my hands before pulling me to my feet with little difficulty.
“Thanks,” I sighed gratefully and then hobbled over to the desk that was next to my bed and picked up my wand.
“What are you doing?” she questioned and raised an eyebrow at me.
“I’m gonna fix my knee,” I answered and mimicked her action.
“Did you already forget that we’re not allowed to do magic outside of school?”
“Nooo…” I lied before setting my wand back down and then looking down at my knee, “Alright, let’s get this over with.”
“You ready?” Cat asked as she bent down and took my knee in her hands.
“As I’ll ever be,” I sighed before closing my eyes and sticking the handle of my brush in my mouth.
I held in a cry of pain as Cat quickly popped my knee back into its socket.
“That would have been more pleasant with magic,” I whined and she smiled before standing up and taking my wand in her hand, “What are you doing?”
“Obviously you can’t remember that we can’t do magic so I’m just going to keep this until we go back to school,” she explained while twirling it in-between her finger tips.
“I swear to God, if you lose it, break it, or damage it in any way, shape, or form,” I started to threaten her but she just rolled her eyes before walking out the open door and down the steps to the tower.“Yeah yeah yeah, I’ve heard it all before,” she blew me off and I rolled my eyes before pulling my T-shirt off of my head and throwing it onto my bed.
I grabbed the sweatshirt I had put out last night and pulled it on over the training bra I had slept in. The sweatpants I had slept in were about two inches too short on me but I’m pretty sure that they were Cat’s and I had put them in my trunk by mistake so I wasn’t too worried. No doubt that when she went to change into her winter sweats, they’d be too long for her and she’d fall on her face when she tried to walk. I tossed my pants over my shoulder without caring where they landed and then pulled on my old pair of light wash flare jeans. Mom insisted that they were too adult looking but all I cared about was that they made my butt look awesome.
“Are you almost ready, Mollie?” Grammy asked as she floated through the wall of the tower.
“Almost,” I answered with a yawn as I brushed my hair out and then let it fall down my back.
“You’re going to want to put that into a bun dear, it’ll be much safer,” she instructed me while looking my outfit over, “You have something to wear to the Ball right?”
“Yes Grammy,” I laughed while running my fingers hastily through my hair and then throwing it into a sloppy bun.
“Good,” she sighed and smiled pleasantly at me, “Did your sister warn you about what to expect?”
“Nope, she just woke me up, rolled me onto the floor, helped me pop my knee back into place, stole my wand, and left,” I answered and she chuckled at the actions of my psychotic twin sister.
“Well that’s good, I’d hate to have Cat ruin the surprise for you,” she went to clap her hand down on my shoulder but it went straight through my body and wild shiver ran up and down my spine, “Sorry dear, I’m still getting use to this whole ghost thing.”
“I think we all are Grammy,” I chuckled in response and she smiled and went to ruffle my hair before pausing and then pulling her hand back before it came in contact with my head.
“Mistress Mollie, is you in wanting of anything?” Wendy asked as we reached the bottom of the staircase and she sank into a deep bow.
“Do I have time for breakfast Grammy?” I asked Grammy in response to Wendy’s question.
“Considering the fact that your mother wrote me a two page letter about everything I will need to know about you girls, including the fact that if you don’t eat a good meal every few hours you get very moody and are nearly impossible to be around, then I’d have to say yes,” she answered and I smiled before turning back to Wendy.
“Wendy, could you please have a plate of pancakes and bacon ready for me as soon as possible?” I questioned.
“Yes, yes, of course Princess,” she replied and disappeared with a pop before I could remind her not to call me Princess.
“I’ll meet you out in the east garden once you’ve finished your breakfast, alright dear?” Grammy said and floated away before I could respond.
I stared at the wall she had disappeared into for a few seconds before whipping one of my bangs out of my face and then heading off towards the kitchen.
“Yo,” Iggy said as he rounded the same corner as me.
“Hi Iggy,” I greeted him friendly and he began to sink into a bow, “There’s no need for that unless you truly want to.”
“It’s the house elf way ma’am,” he replied and then shrugged like it meant nothing to him but he was still under strict orders to obey.
“Well I’m sure the ways of the house elves can change a bit,” I assured him before walking down the hall again in my attempt to remember where the kitchen was, “Hey Iggy, can you take me to the kitchen?”
“Duh, I know this house like the back of my hand. HEY! That’s new!” he looked at the back of his hand then me, he smiled and I returned it while trying to remember whose smile that reminded me of, “Take my hand Princess.”
I did as he said and in the next second it felt as if I was being pulled into a vacuum. I couldn’t breathe and it was impossible to move. But just as suddenly as the feeling had come, it left.
“What on earth was that?” I choked out as I tried to catch my breath.
“Elf Apparition Missy,” he stated as if it was obvious and I chuckled to myself before looking the familiar, old style kitchen.
“Here is being your breakfast Milady!” Wendy squeaked and pointed excitedly towards a large plate of food that was stationed on the breakfast table.
“Thank you Wendy. That’s all I need for now,” I replied and sat down as my stomach began to growl.
“Miss isn’t needing Wendy to complete any tasks for her?” Wendy questioned and I shook my head I stuffed a piece of bacon into my mouth.
“You can relax until my training is done. Oh! Could you have a hot bath ready for me when I’m done though? By the way Cat looked, I think I’ll need it. But no scented oils or whatever like Cat uses, that stuff gives me a rash.”
“Yes ma’am,” Wendy bowed before poofing again and I smiled happily as I stuffed another piece of bacon into my mouth.

“Come on, Mollie! Concentrate!” Grammy scolded me and I sighed deeply as I whipped my bangs out of my face again, “Just concentrate and the world is yours.”
I closed my eyes and pictured the flame in the palm of my hand. Not a large one, not a miniscule one. A regular sized flame that if set in contact with the right objects could turn into so much more. Just like me. I’m a regular sized girl but if I’m set in contact with the right objects I could grow into so much more. That’s why we’re here. That’s why Grandma Ashling is training us.
“Mollie, open your eyes,” Grandma Ashling whispered with a hint of praising in her voice and my eyes sprung open to see a small flame burning right in the middle of my palm.
I never would have known. I couldn’t feel it. It didn’t burn, itch, tickle, or anything. I couldn’t feel it in anyway. It couldn’t be real then. Right?
“What are you doing?” Grammy asked as I picked a leave up from the ground and set the tip into the small ball of light, it ignited instantly, “Yes, dear, it’s real.”
“That’s freaking amazing!” I yelled and started laughing as I twirled the small ball of fire around my hand.
“That’s the very least you’re capable of my dear, as the years dwell on you’ll be able to do so much more,” she whispered in my ear and I nodded absentmindedly as the fire began to die out.
“Why won’t it last Grammy?” I questioned and looked over my shoulder at her.
“Your powers are still too weak to keep the fire alive for too long. As you grow older you’ll be able to keep the flames alive for weeks at a time. Much larger ones too,” she answered and I looked back to see my hand empty, “That’s all for now sweetie. Do me a favor and don’t wake your sister yet.”
“I doubt that I have to Grammy. She’s probably up already,” I replied and stood up before brushing off my butt, “She never sleeps for long.”
“Don’t bother her though. She needs to rest just as much as you do.”
“Okay,” I yawned.I looked over my shoulder but Grammy had already disappeared from site.
Must be one of the perks of being a ghost I guess, you can disappear whenever you want to.
“Is you being ready for your bath miss?” Wendy asked as she popped into the doorway that lead into the Castle from the east garden.
“Yes please,” I sighed and she bowed before poofing again.
“There you are,” Cat greeted me as I walked into the Castle and closed the previous open door behind me, “How was it?”
“Check it out,” I laughed and scrunched my eyes together in concentration before a small flame brewed in the palm of my hand again, “It doesn’t last long but I finally managed it after a few hours.”
“Sweet,” Cat sang out and high fived my free hand as the ball of fire quickly dissipated again.
“So what have you been up to?” I asked and she bit her lip.
“I need to tell you something,” she answered and I stared at her blankly, “Draco is here and he’s staying with us for the rest of the break.”
"Okay...why?” I let the word draw out a few extra seconds then normal and waited patiently for her to answer, as patiently as I could muster anyway.
“His dad-”
“Say no more,” I interrupted her and I saw her stiffen up a bit, “I don’t care if the guy is a pain in my arse most of the time, no one deserves to have to live with that scum of a person.”
“So you’re not upset?” she asked in shock and I thought out my words carefully before speaking.
“I’m not exactly thrilled about the idea but if you care about him then I can’t honestly say that I want you to kick him out and make him go back to his dad,” I answered and she smiled before running over and hugging me, “I don’t have to room with him, right?”
“No,” she laughed, “He’s staying in the guest room near my tower.”
“Am I interrupting?” Draco asked as he walked into the room and I tightened my grip on Cat not wanting her to go hug him.
“Not at all, I was just making sure Mollie knew that you were staying for the remainder of our break,” Cat replied and struggled to get out of my grip.
“Here you all are!” Grandma Ashling chimed as she walked through the door, “Mollie, I do believe that there is a bath waiting for you in your bathroom.”
“Thank you!” I yelled happily and took off in the direction of the East Tower, “I’ll see you guys at dinner!”
“I love you, Skittle Brain!” Cat called after me.
“Love you too Kitty Cat!” I called back before taking off at full speed and running down the deserted hallways as the pictures all stared after me.
“Want me to take you to your tower miss?” Iggy asked as I passed him and I stopped and turned back around, “It will be much quicker for you.”
“I’d appreciate it, Iggy,” I answered happily before walking back over to him and taking the small hand he was extending to me.That semi-familiar rush of apparition overcame me and I held my breath before my feet landed softly on the carpet directly inside my bathroom door.
“Your bath is being ready miss,” Wendy informed me and I smiled happily before roughly pulling my hair free of the ponytails I had in it, “Is there anything else you is needing miss?”
“I was actually wondering if you two could answer a question for me,” I replied as Wendy shooed Iggy out of the room so I could get undressed.
“Go on miss.”
“Why do Rosewood and Prince look alike but you and Iggy do not?”
“Personal house elves is taking on the appearance of what attracts their mistress or master most. Miss Catherine’s elf’s looks like the young master she invited to stay at the house of Moore because she is being attracted to him and Iggy and I look like who is attracting you most,” Wendy explained as she helped me undress, I didn’t find this necessary but she insisted.
“Oh,” I stated simply and tried to piece together what she had just said with what I’ve been noticing all day.Now that I thought about it, Wendy looked very much like Neville and Iggy like George. They even acted like them. Wendy always wanted to please me, be around me, and outshine Iggy; just like Neville. Iggy was willing to give me my space but still wanted to be around to help and always disregarded the rules as suggestions and was a jokester; just like George. How could I have not seen before? It was so obvious.
“Is you going to be taking your bath miss?” Wendy questioned and I shook my head as I realized that I had zoned for a few minutes as I thought.
“Yeah, right, the bath,” I half laughed before stepping into the tub and gently sinking down into the water that was foaming with unscented bubbles.The water was hot and helped every muscle in my body relax from the training, “You can go Wendy. Thank you for your help.”
“Is you being sure there is nothing you is needing miss?” she asked and I nodded before sinking a bit deeper into the water.
Wendy disappeared with a loud crack and I heard Iggy do the same from the other side of the bathroom door. I sighed again and let the water engulf me as I ran my fingers through my hair. The tangles automatically loosened and I stayed under a few seconds longer before resurfacing and taking in a deep breath through my nose.
“Want some help?” Cat asked as she sat on the counter and dangled her legs over the edge.
“When did you get here?” I asked in response although I wasn’t surprised.
“About ten seconds ago. I was starting to get worried when you didn’t come back up,” she answered and smiled lovingly at me, “I was considering coming in after you.”
“There are only so many places I can go in a bathtub,” I chuckled and reached for the shampoo.
“I think you keep forgetting about the time you nearly drowned in this very tub when we were five and spent the summer in this tower,” she reminded me and I burst out laughing as my cheeks turned red, “I rest my case.”
“I love you Cat,” I laughed out.
“I love you too Mollz,” she replied, “Now do you want help washing your hair? I know how much you hate doing it when you can’t shower.”
“Yes please my darling sister,” I answered and she jumped down from the counter before taking the bottle of shampoo from me, “I still don’t see why the wizarding world can’t have shower heads.”
“Beats me,” Cat chuckled while pouring a decent amount of shampoo in her hand and I turned in the tub so she could reach my hair without getting soaked.
“Remind me to have Wendy wake me up tomorrow morning before your training ends so I get ready in time to return the favor and wash your hair for you,” I said and leaned back against the hard tile of the bathtub as my feet grazed the other end of the gigantic tub.
“You don’t have to do that,” Cat protested as she began to run her fingers through my thick hair.
“I want to,” I replied and I sensed her smile, “We used to wash each other’s hair every day that we spent in this house. Mainly because I hated washing it and I’d feel bad if I didn’t do yours, of course, but still.”
Cat laughed as she twisted my hair in her hands and ran some conditioner into it on top of the shampoo.
Had it really been so long ago that we spent our nights doing this in this very same bathroom? When we didn’t know that we witches and didn’t know just how powerful we were in this world? Was there really a time when there wasn’t so much pressure? When we weren’t the moon and sun?
“We’re still just Cat and Mollie, you know,” Cat whispered and I broke out of my daze, “It doesn’t matter what powers we turn out to have, we’re still going to be Cat and Mollie.”
“I wish I could believe that,” I tried to laugh and she sighed before pressing down lightly on my head so I got the hint to take a deep breath in and sink into the water.
Our fingers worked together as we rubbed the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair. She took the back half and I worked on the front half.
“What makes you think that this makes us any different?” she questioned as I resurfaced again and took in a deep breath.
“For one, the whole world is depending on a pair of eleven year old goof offs,” I answered as I rang my hair out and tried to savor the feeling of the warm water, “For another thing, I’ve seen you a total of ten minutes today. Things are never going to be the same Cat.”
“None of that means we have to change Mollz. It just means we have to step it up and stick together,” she contradicted me and I smiled at the last part as she stood up and wiped her hands off on the towel Wendy had left for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took this long. Like I said before, my school work and job come first :/