Sequel: Undecided
Status: Compleat!

Unexpected

GAH Could Tonight Be Anymore Confusing

I parted from Mollie and went in search of a tall red head with messy hair and or a short nervous looking brunet.
“Mollie.” An all to familiar voice said behind me and I fought down a smile and turned a glare on my face to look at Draco.
“What Malfoy.”
“More hostile than usual I see. Have you seen Cat?”
“Yes.” He looked at me waiting for me to continue.
“Well? Where is she.” I rolled my eyes in a very Mollie like fashion and pointed in a random direction.
“Not like it really matters. She’ll be trying to escape as soon as possible and is probably making her way to an exit so you may never find her.” And it was true, if I was me right now that would be exactly what I would be doing.
“Mollie?” A voice said behind me and I turned to see a tall redhead nervously trying to smooth his hair out. I smiled at him and reached my hand up to mess up his hair.
“How did you know it was me?” He flashed me a huge smile.
“I had a hunch Sunshine. Would you like to dance?”
“I would love to.” We started to dance gliding smoothly around the room.
“I didn’t know you could dance Mollie.”
“I love to dance, and I’m much better at it than my sister is. Look.” I nodded at Mollie and Draco who were stumbling around awkwardly. She was too close to him for my taste. As George and I twirled by I smiled evilly. “Arms length apart!” and pointed sternly at my sister. Mollie and Draco looked at me and I gave my wicked smile again before George twirled me away. After dancing for a while George led me outside to the garden. We looked out over the flowers and bushes and trees all light up with fairy lights. I looked over to the lake that was my personal favorite. The night before I had spent most of the night freezing and shaping the water in the center of the lake into a huge glowing blue ice fountain while Grandma Ashling gave a few comments. It was beautiful.
“Are you enjoying yourself Cat?”
“Yeah I am… I’m not Cat.” He chuckled.
“I’m a twin, remember. Fred and I play the switch game a lot. I know you aren’t Mollie.”
“How did you figure it out?”
“The way you talk and smile and laugh is different and also the heels on your boots are taller than the heels on her boots. Thou you look the same height and you are dressed as each other I can tell you from Mollie. Besides, Mollie wouldn’t be looking at the water, she would be fascinated by the fairies.”
“Alright you got me.”
“So why did you do it?”
“It was my idea. This is the only time that Mollie would be able to get to know the Draco I know and maybe hate him less. It may not work, but I had to try. And it took forever to convince her to go along with it.”
“I see. So you like the ferret then?”
“Don’t call him that. I don’t let him call you weasel so don’t you call him ferret.”
“Sorry, so do you like him?”
“We’re really good friends. That’s probably all we’ll ever be too.”
“Do you want to be more?”
“I’m a bit young to be thinking about things like that. And I’m fine with how things are right now. And if we were to get together and then we broke up I wouldn’t want things to my weird between us or worse loose him as a friend.”
“So what are you going to do?”
“Wait a year or so and see how things work out. Maybe get my new abilities under control a bit more. Speaking of, don’t let Mollie play with flames that are too big, she’ll hurt herself again.”
“I won’t even pretend to know what you’re talking about, but I won’t let her play with fire.”
“Oh, no she can play with fire just remind her to keep it small and if it starts to get too big tell her to cool it off or douse her in water.”
“Ok, if you say so. I’ll try. So do you want to go back to the party or not?”
“Um, I would rather not but everyone thinks I’m Mollie so I have to. They expect Cat to disappear because I like the silence and solitude of the night but Mollie being the sun loves the noise and brightness of being the life and center of the party.” He laughed and we walked back in and I spotted Mollie walking into the hall Draco following her closely. I grabbed George’s hand and pulled him over to the two of them.
“Trying to make moves on my sister while I’m not looking are you Dorkfoy!”
“Cat I know it’s you.” He said with a smile. “Nice try though.”
“You told him Mollie?”
“I had to, it was getting weird.”
“Fine, George already knew it was me.”
“Figures. GUESS WHAT!?”
“WHAT!?” A asked in mock surprise.
“Shut up, DORKFOY FOUND OUR GARDEN!”
“Huh?”
“You remember the garden we designed when we were little?”
“Yeah, but we never showed anyone, we left before we could show Grandma Ashling and she died before we could come back.”
“I know, but she found the plans and built it. ALL OF IT!” I looked at her wide eyed.
“The moon and sun meet together in harmony twice a day, midnight at noon and noon at midnight.” I mused silently. It had only been a dream of mine when we were little and I scribbled it on the corner of the paper as an idea if we ever found a way to do it.
“Your idea exactly.” I looked at them.
“Show me.” Mollie nodded and dragged me off the boys following. When we reached a hallway that led to the sad garden door and my favorite trick door that lead to the Pacific ocean we stopped. “Please tell me Grandma Ashling didn’t replace the Pacific ocean that Grandpa built me when we were little.”
“YOU’RE THE REASON FOR THAT DOOR!? Do you know how many times I’ve opened it and fallen into the Pacific on accident?!?!”
“He knew it was my favorite, and it’s no different than the damn Sahara desert door.”
“Hey that’s my door!” I rolled my eyes at her and sighed.
“Where is it Mollie.” She turned to the door directly between the desert and the ocean and opened it. She stood to the side and I stepped in. I looked around and tears came to my eyes. I took off the mask and wig and walked amongst the perfectly groomed flowers. I felt the tears come to my eyes as I saw the flowers that were the ones Grandpa developed for me, black violets, growing in harmony next to Mollie’s, yellow violets. There were others of his inventions that he made for us, he was great at Herbology magic but the violets were the first, he made them the day we were born and brought them to us. They now grew in the yard all over. I looked up at the say and saw the moon and sun creeping towards each other longing to hug but not quite yet. About an hour more and they would. I looked at Mollie.
“It wasn’t Grandma Ashling that found the plans, it was Grandpa. Mollie he found them and gave them to Grandma Ashling, look he oversaw the construction.”
“How do you know?”
“Only he knows how to make our flowers grow.”
“Very good my dear.” A gentle voice whispered. I felt the tears break free of my eyes and pour mercilessly as I turned and saw my Grandpa standing in the Gazebo. I ran to him and tried to hug him passing right through him. He chuckled and turned his head to look at me.
“I forgot, I just missed you so much! Why didn’t you tell me you were a ghost?”
“I wanted you to move on as much as you could. I see know it was a mistake. I’m sorry Moonbeam.”
“What is going on here?” Draco wanted to know.
“Unlike me, Cat’s favorite grandparent was Grandpa and she was devastated when he died. I’ve only seen her that upset one other time and that time it was my fault. We all figured he wouldn’t want to stick around and be a ghost, we thought he would have moved on. I always knew Grandma Ashling would stay, that’s just her personality.” Mollie explained while I looked at Grandpa the tears still falling fast and freely. I sniffed trying to get them under control. Grandpa moved his had forward and brushed an icy thumb across each cheek trying to stop the flow.
“Water cannot be contained for long until it breaks through its confines.” He mused a smile on his face.
“Does Grandma Ashling know you’re still here?” Mollie asked looking at Grandpa and walking closer to us. She wrapped a protective arm around my shoulders and wiped the tears away with part of her gossamer sleeve.
“Yes Sunlight she knows.”
“Oh ok, good.” He chuckled again.
“Always short and to the point is fire.”
“I’m not even going to pretend I know what that means.” Mollie stated. I giggled and looked at her wiping away the last of my tears.
“It means you don’t beat around the bush and you get to the point right away not caring how it comes out smart one.”
“Oh ok. What did the one about water mean?”
“That no matter what you use to try and bold back impatient water it will break through anything or make a new path around the obstacle.”
“I get it now.” The four of us laughed and she pouted, “Don’t laugh at me. It’s not nice.” I hugged her and then flopped down in the grass. Mollie joined me shortly after laying the opposite direction her head next to mine. I turned to look at her and smiled, she did the same thing and I giggled a little because she was upside down, she did the same thing. The boys joined us Draco next to me an arm around me and George next to Mollie both arms around her.
♠ ♠ ♠
DON'T BE A SILENT READER!!! COMMENT PLEASE!!! TELL US WHAT YOU THINK!!