Sequel: Undecided
Status: Compleat!

Unexpected

Unwilling Admittance

I woke up and looked at a still sleeping Mollie. I smiled and got quietly out of bed. I went to the window and saw that it was about 3am. I put on some jeans, a tank top and a hoody. I slipped on a pair of converse and walked down to the lake. I altered the snow into a chair for me to sit in and sat down looking out over the water. I closed my eyes and look a deep breath. The moist chill of the air filled my body and lifted my soul. I flicked my wrist and heard some water lift up out of the lake. I started to manipulate it into different shapes. I opened my eyes and saw what I was doing and smiled, the shapes were elegant and beautiful. I froze it and turned it into a fountain. I used my ability to push water up through it and come out of different places and keep it going weather I was there or not. The same thing I had done for the fountains at the winter ball.
“Good morning, Cat.” I looked up and saw George standing there watching me. I moved my hands and another chair shaped out of the snow for him.
“Morning George, have a seat. Tell me what’s wrong.” He sat down and looked at the fountain.
“That’s pretty by the way.”
“Thanks. Now what’s wrong? Did you and Mollie get in a fight?”
“She showed me her fire thing and told me about the two of you.”
“I figured as much. Did something happen?” I flicked my wrist and brought a handful of water to my hand and started to manipulate it.
“Yes, and no.” He sighed and ran his fingers roughly through his hair. “She showed me that she could create fire. I didn’t know what she was doing at first so it scared me. She just closed her eyes and concentrated and then her whole hand was on fire.”
“Wait, her whole hand? Not just a small ball in the center?”
“Yeah, her WHOLE hand. Anyway, after I calmed down she explained to me about the moon and sun spirits and how you two will have to fight something in the future.”
“Ok, so what has you so worried?’
“Well after she explained some things to me she started to play with the fire some more and it got too big and the look on her face scared me a little. It was like she’d gone mad and wouldn’t listen to reason. She kept telling me she had it under control. Then she told me that she had dropped it on herself before and gotten hurt. I told her to put the fire where it belonged and she threw it into the fireplace and then yelled at me that she COULD control the fire and then stormed off to bed.”
“I see. You were really worried about her. And she does sometimes get that look on her face,that sort of half mad look. It doesn’t mean she’s losing control, it means she’s really enjoying the feeling of power. And I think with you around she’ll be able to advance more quickly in her training.”
“Why is that?” He looked at me for the first time since he sat down and shook his head on looked again at the thirteen water phoenixes flying around my head.
“Because you’re special. I sucked too until Draco came and started to watch me practice. And now every time I need to learn something new he comes and watches for a few nights and then I don’t need him there to do it anymore. It’s just nice to know he IS there.”
“I can’t believe you like Malfoy! That’s just sick and wrong!” I glared at him.
“He’s different around me than he is around other people. There is a side of him that only I get to see. Ask Mollie, she’ll tell you. She saw that side of him at the ball.” I caught one of the phoenixes and closed my hand around it a moment later I opened my hand again and handed the frozen little bird to George. “Don’t worry, he won’t melt, ever. And just watch Mollie practice, preferably NOT inside the school though because sometimes she does lose control.” He nodded and stood up.
“Well, I feel better now. I’ll talk to you later Cat.” I nodded and went back to manipulating the snow and water into different shapes. By the time the sun was starting to come up I had a whole forest of snow and ice sculptures. Each one different and each one intricate and beautiful. I even did Draco and Mollie in ice form. White ice for Mollie’s red hair and clear ice for her whit and for Draco’s hair a cloudy ice. I smiled and looked at both of them smiling at me standing side by side without wanting to kill each other, a sight I knew I would never really see. I then did me sitting in my snow chair looking out over the water a content smile on my face. When I was done I stood up and walked back up to the school to get dressed and wake Mollie up for classes and food.
“Mollie wake up!” I ripped her blankets off of her and she shot up holding herself to keep from shivering, she was still in her jeans from the night before. “I have something to tell you.”
“What?” She asked as she went into the bathroom to shower. I followed her in and smiled.
“I know who your soul mate is!” She turned and looked at me through the cloudy glass of the shower stall.
“WHAT?!” I smiled and washed my hair in the sink.
“You heard me.”
“I have a soul mate? That’s impossible.”
“Nope! Both of us do. Grandma Ashling told me.”
“So who is yours?”
“Apparently Draco. But I don’t like him like that. Only as a friend so I don’t think that’s true.”
“I’ll just let you believe that. Just don’t marry the guy ok.”
“Wasn’t planning on it. We’re just friends. That’s all he sees me as too.”
“Um, yeah, sure he does.” I heard the skepticism in her voice but ignored it. “So who is mine? And how do you know.”
“It’s George, and I know because you’re better with fire when he’s around.”
“Are you serious?”
“YEP! I figured if it works that way for me and Draco it should work that way for you and George too.” Mollie got out of the shower and started to dry off. I was already dressed and doing my hair. “Just be careful, Grammy might just enter you into a marriage agreement with his family.” She looked at me in the mirror shocked.
“She would do that?!”
“She tried with me and Draco, but I got out of it.”
“I see. Oh did you notice that Wendy and Iggy are identical since the ball?”
“Yeah I noticed that. It was at the ball that you let go of your love of Neville and now that you only love George they are identical just like Prince and Rosewood are.”
“You’re in love with Draco.” I glared at her. “Don’t give me that look its true. You’re in love with him weather you want to admit it or not. If you weren’t your elves wouldn’t look like him and Prince DEFINITELY wouldn’t talk like him. You can say you’re just friends all you want but it just isn’t true.” I sighed.
“I know. I know are you happy. I love him well, at least I think I do. Mollie love is a big word for eleven year old to use, I know I like him a lot. But we can never be anything. He’s betrothed to Astoria Greengrass, has been since he was three. He may not like her but he has to marry her. He doesn’t have a choice. He could never be more than my friend. That’s why I say we are JUST friends.” Mollie looked at me sadness in her eyes. She knew how much it hurt me to share my emotions and feelings with other people. She walked over to me and hugged me tightly.
“You could always tell him how you feel.” I shook my head and fought back the tears that wanted to spill, the tears that I would NEVER let fall.
“Mollie, there is NOTHING I can do. He’s already engaged. He can’t get out of it. So, I’ll just have to be content with us just being friends.” I looked in the mirror and fixed my face and smiled. “Let’s go down to breakfast.” She smiled and nodded and we walked down to the Great Hall arm in arm.