Billie Joe's Third Son

Chapter nineteen

I looked at Mike's café and sighed. It was a sunny day in Emeryville, California. The sun always seemed to shine over Rudy's. Through the windows I could see Mike clean up after customers, telling them bye and to come back soon. About three of them was gone, and left the little café empty again. I walked up to the front door, finding Mike smiling at me.

"Hi Tré. What brings you here?" he asked.

"Nothing. Just wanna chat," I replied and sat down. Mike nodded, and sat down beside me.

"Why is Billie Joe in Scotland?" I asked. Mike had to know something, they were like blood brothers or something pretty close to it.

Mike shrugged as reply, it didn't really look like he wanted to talk about it.

"Coffee?" I nodded, and watched him disappear in to the kitchen. I suddenly came to remember the weird thing I'd seen in town today. That young boy who wanted my lighter, he seemed so familiar. Just like I'd seen him before, but I couldn't think of who it might be. Green eyes, long red hair.. I obviously hadn't seen him before, but he reminded me of someone. Someone I knew very well.

Billie Joe, I thought. Mike was suddenly beside me. In his hands he held two cups of coffee.

"What's on your mind? You don't seem like the Tré we all know and love today. Becuase he can't.. Think," Mike said, sitting down. I took a sip of my coffee, knowing he was being funny by saying I couldn't think.

"Just some guy. Young boy. He wanted to borrow my lighter, but had a black haired kid asking for it. He was so alike Billie, when I thought back on it I almost thought it was him. Only, that boy.. He had long hair, and piercings. But there was just something about him that.. I don't know. Reminded me 'bout BJ. His face, his eyes. It was so weird."

Mike looked like he was cracking up, and could explode any minute. He took a sip of his coffee, probably to calm himself down. He was probably as shocked as I was, but he hadn't seen him, so the situation was kind off weird.

"Mhm," was all he could say. I scanned him. Something was going on, and I wanted to know what it was. I was weird, but not stupid. I gave him an anxious look, and was just about to reply, but then some people entered the little café. Mike passed me a nervous look, and went to great them.

The two women was pretty hot. I saw Mike eyeing the one with blonde hair, and blue eyes. But it wasn't a "I-want-you-in-my-bed" look. It was a nervous one. I could see him swallow a big lump. He was acting weird. The always so calm Michael Pritchard, was looking like he’d gladly say yes, to join George W. Bush in the grave.

There was two women, and two kids. A girl with long, light brown glossy hair, and a guy.. A guy with black hair, and ice blue eyes. I recognized him straight away. It was the twelve year old kid who had been asking for my lighter. The blonde one looked a little familiar. Mike obviously thought so too, 'cause he was still sweating and staring. I noticed the way he walked over to their table to ask what he could get them. The girl with brown hair let out a little scream, and asked for Mike's autograph. The blonde one suddenly looked nervous too. This situation was odd, I decided to ask Mike about all this when he returned to our table. He surprisingly didn't, but took their orders and vanished in to the kitchen instead. I decided I had to follow him, drank the rest of the coffee, and walked towards the back door.

"Tré!" a girl's voice shouted. I turned around to see the brown haired girl smile at me. I waved, then turned around to continue my trip to Mike's kitchen, but she stopped me.

"Can I have your autograph? And a picture? Pleease?" I turned around to face her, the two women and the boy again. I smiled and nodded, sitting down beside her. I looked over to the boy. He gave me a look who looked like saying "don't-say-anything," it was a desperate look yes, but I had no idea what he was on about.

"Hey. Didn’t I meet you earlier? You were asking for my lighter," I said and smiled. He let go of the desperate look, and looked at me as if I was an idiot.

"Michael?" the blonde haired woman asked, and waited for an explenation for the young man. She was obviously his mother.

"Don't be so hard on him, Reg," the other woman said. She was the only one with American accent, I noticed. She looked a little bit like Adie, with curly, brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. But the woman, which obviously was nicknamed Reg, kept asking the young boy about the lighter.

"Actually.. It wasn't him who was borrowing it, it was some guy with long hair, green eyes and.." The woman cut me off.

"Michael?" The boy, Michael looked like he was going to die there and then.

"It's not true Mum, Joey didn't smoke! It was me! I found one on the ground, and I just wanted to try it," he explained. His mother looked concerned for the young boy, but whispered "it's okey Michael" and looked down on her hands. I was almost as shocked as she was.

Why did he lie? Why didn't he tell her about that other guy, Joey..?

I then saw Mike finally crawling out of his hole.

"Look, I'm really sorry I interrupted, but my friend over there has some explaining to do," I said, and got up.

"But Tré," the girl said. "What about my autograph and photo?" I smiled. I'd almost forgotten about that. She gave me a pen, and a piece of paper.

"What's your name sweetie?" I asked her.

"Antonia," she replied and smiled.

"Antonia huh, that's a pretty name. I hear on your dialect you're not from around here."

"No, we're from Scotland, not Aunt Amanda though, she’s from here," she said. I nodded.

"Scottish, oh that reminds me of what my friend has to explain to me," I said, and smiled when she took the photo of me she wanted. I leant down to her, and whispered so that only she, and the three others could hear me.

"You see, my friend named Billie Joe, I figure if you know me and Mike, you know him as well, is in Scotland, and I think he might be looking for something beautiful like you," I joked. She giggled, but Reg looked like she was gonna fall to pieces and die.

I went to catch up Mike. He was now washing - up. Something was definitely going on. Mike Dirnt didn’t clean dishes for nothing.

"Mike," I said.

"TréIdon'thavetimerightnowcomebacklater," Mike said, every word glued to the next. I almost didn't understand what he was trying to say, but I knew he was trying to talk himself out of something.

"Stop talking like a sweat banana, and tell me what's going on," I said. "I'm weird, but I'm not stupid."

"Mr. Pritchard," one of the cooks said, and handed him four plates, and some drinks. Mike looked at me, then went to serve the three girls, and one boy. I sighed. I was probably never gonna know what really happened today.

*

Regina's POV

I saw Mike coming towards us with the food we'd ordered. I knew he'd recognized me, 'cause he kept staring at me all the time. He also knew that I'd recognized him. Of course, who wouldn't. He was a famous man now, not like I used to know him. The long hair was gone, so was his innocence as young, and his desperate needs to shag women to win money, and bets.

He served the other three, and when he came to me, he whispered something in my ear.

"Find an excuse, and stay here when you guys are done. We need to talk." He leaned back, and smiled, then disappeared in to the kitchen again.

"So, August the second, hah? You guys are finally getting it together," Amanda said with me and Glen's wedding in her thoughts.

"Yes. Which reminds me I forgot to tidy his closet before we traveled all the way down here," I said and laughed.

"Must be done. My brother will never come 'round to clean anything," Amanda said and returned the laugh. The kids didn't pay attention, but were busy eating their hamburgers. Antonia were talking to Michael about her final meeting with Mike and Tré, but Michael somehow didn't seem to pay attention. I didn't know what was up with him, and I didn't know why he'd defended Joey with that lighter thing, it was not like they got on pretty well. They were either argueing, or commenting each other. Especially Michael, who was so alike Glen on his personality. And Joey.. Who was so alike Billie. Luckily that Tré guy didn't get on with Billie at the time we.. At the time Joey lived with him. I don't think he knew about Joey at all, and I was happy about it. If he did, he'd probably understand who both me and him was, and then hell'd be released. I then came to think about what Tré'd said about Billie being in Scotland. I looked towards the kitchen door, and decided I had to do what Mike said. I had to stay and talk with him.

"I'm full," Antonia said, cutting off my thoughts. I looked over to Michael who hadn't touched his food. He was playing with his fork instead of eating. He looked like he had a lot on his mind. I was worried about him. He usually didn't get all fed up over nothing.

"Michael honey, you haven't touched your food," I said in a concerned mother voice. Michael looked up to me, then looked down to his food again.

"I figured I wasn’t hungry after all," he said. I nodded. I knew something was up with my son, so I decided to let him off the hook and speak with him later.

"Since you're my guests, I will pay for you," Amanda said and got up.

"No Amanda, it's okey, I can pay for the three of us." I said.

"Let me spend something on you guys while I can, pay me back next time," she replied with a laugh. I smiled and nodded, then watched her disappear towards the counter, to pay our bill.

"Kids, go wait in the car," I said. They both nodded and got up. Amanda came back, and sat down again.

"Where's the kids?" she asked.

"I told them to go wait in the car. Amanda, there's something I forgot in town which I was going to buy for the wedding, so I have to go back there."

"Oh, I can drive you."

"No, it's okey, I, I called a cab," I lied. She nodded and got up.

"Bye so long honey," she said and waved. I watched her go outside, and driving away. I then saw Mike leaving the kitchen. He sat down on the desk and looked at me. I nodded towards the Tré guy, seeing as though he'd probably join us if he was still here when we spoke.

Mike nodded, and walked over to him. He said something to him, then clapped his shoulder. Tré got up, took his coat, and headed towards the door. He smiled at me, then vanished. Mike came over to me, and sat down. He looked at me for three minutes or so, before saying anything.

"I've seen him," he said. I knew he meant my son. Mine and Billie's.

I nodded.

"Why is Billie in Scotland?" Mike didn't answer the question, but got up.

"Be back in five," he mumbled and vanished to the kitchen again. He came out again exactly five minutes later, with two cups of coffee in his hands.

"It's on the house," he said and sat down again. I nodded and grabbed the cup. Mike took a sip of his, then looked at me.

"You know why he is there, Regina. He is looking for Billie," he said.

"Joey," I corrected him. "No one in our house calls him Billie. He was nicknamed Joey as two year old, and he’s been Joey ever since."

Mike nodded.

"Describe him, please," he said. I smiled thinking of my oldest son.

"Long, spiky red hair, he has now been so stupid and pierced himself," I rolled my eyes but continued. "He is just like Billie Joe. He is so alike him, personality, looks, you wouldn't believe it Mike. They could have been twins. He has everything from him, exept from the hair, he has that from me. Joey never had it curly like Billie Joe."

"I met him on Starbucks, Reg. It must've been him, I've never seen anyone so alike your description, not to mention Billie, before. I thought he was him at first. We were going to see Tré, Billie and I, when I dropped myself off at Starbucks to grab a coffee. When I'd payed for it and all, I saw Billie, or so I thought. I wondered how he'd gotten in so fast without me noticing, and why he wore a wig, false piercing, at least that's what I thought it was. He didn't like me touching his "wig" though, his body language told me to fuck off. When I came back to the car, I was shocked. Can you imagine what would have happened if Bill'd joined me, or if I'd told him? He is so paranoid when it comes to Billie, or Joey, that you wouldn't believe it. And now he's gone to Scotland to find him, and I don't know what I'm gonna do when he comes back empty handed. You robbed him something of his, and he want it back. And he will come again," Mike said, taking a sip from his cup again.

I almost started crying. I knew what I'd done to Billie wasn't right, but my son wouldn't of survived with a teenage Dad, while I was miles away in Scotland with Glen. Of course I wish I didn't have to do what I had done, but I couldn't change the past, or suddenly tell him.

"I think you should at least tell Joey who his father is, he obviously doesn't know. It's been fourteen years, and Billie is still as crazy about that kid that he was the day he was brought into this world."

I sighed.

"No." Mike gave me a look that told me to go to hell, but I pretended I didn't notice.

"You obviously don't understand, Mike. Joey is happy in Scotland, and there is no way I'm having him down here for his father who has his own family, two other sons to replace him, when he's hardly even home for goodness sake. He is married Mike, and soon am I. Joey like Glen, and Glen likes him. I don't want to mess that up with sending him to the US. He loves it in Scotland, and won't leave unless he has no choice."

"Regina, how can you even say that? Of course Billie adores Joey.. I mean Joseph and Jake, but no one can ever take Joey's place. Of course he is married and has a new family, but something, or someone is missing from his life, and not only I, but everyone else that knows him well notices, everyone! And you say he is so good in Scotland, what about when I saw him? Of course I don't know what he's doing up there or anything, but I could see fear in his eyes. Fear and loss. Not only that, but his pupils were huge. In case you didn't know, that means he is on D-R-U-G-S. And I doubt he would have been if he had such perfect life up there. I know myself how it is to grow up without a real father, Billie knows that, and Joey obviously know this Glen whatshisname is not his biological father. If he hasn't realised Billie is his father yet, he sure as hell will once in the future. It's like you said, they could have been twins, and everytime you look at him the twin of Billie Joe will look back at you."

He didn't say anything else, just drank the rest of his coffee. I knew he was right, Joey far from liked Glen, and he obviously hated living in Scotland. But I couldn't make his life worse with suggesting Mike's ideas, could I? No. Things were going pretty fine, and that's how I wanted them to be. And as far as I knew, Joey had quit the drugs. Thinking again, if Mike had met him after we came to California, he'd been lying to me.

"Actually Mike, I have to go. Thanks for the chat, the information, and the coffee of course." I said and got up.

"At least think about it," Mike said. "You're not only ruining your son's life, but also Billie's." That's when I blasted.

"How dare you say I'm ruining my son's life? Huh? I'm doing only what's best for him, while you come up with suggestions I'm actually not even going to concider, 'cause I have made my choice. As for Billie, I don't care about him. I'm grateful to him for giving me Joey, nothing more. Thinking again, this is not my fault, it's his own. Bye Michael Ryan Pritchard. This is probably the last time we meet, goodbye, say hello to Billie from me and tell him to leave my son alone in the future. Have a nice day." I said, and shook his hand.

I then left the spot, didn't want to hear more of his "smart words and lines that makes sense."

But I still knew he was right..

*

Michael's POV

I looked over to Joey who was sitting on the other end of the sofa. He looked tired, and I knew the exact reason. We had to drive him home after he blacked out when Amanda started talking about Billie Joe Armstrong's wife. He said he felt ill, and didn't want to go anywhere, or talk to anyone. Not only all this mess with his father, but with mine too..

Flashback

Antonia, Aunt Amanda and Mum were already in the car. Me for once was late, 'cause I was in the bathroom. Downstairs I heard voices argueing. I figured it was Mum and Joey, she'd probably forgotten her purse or something, and her and my big brother had been argueing a lot recently.

I washed my hands in Aunt Amanda's golden sink, and silenty opened the bathroom door, as if I didn't want anyone to hear me. I then heard it was two male voices argueing, not Mum and Joey. I heard Joey though, and.. Dad? I slowly walked towards the staircase which led down to the livingroom. I didn't go down, but sat down on the top of the stairs, so that they couldn't see me. I could see them though, clearly.

"..You might stop doing this to me," Joey shouted.

"That's all you deserve. As long as you can't realise I'm the only father you're gonna get, that is everything you will get!" Dad shouted back.

"I hate you Glen! You're horrible! And that happy family shit of yours, you can go with it a sertain place!"

"Shut up, this is the only time I'm going to tell you!" Dad shouted back. I didn't hear Joey say anything else.

Was I dreaming? This was like.. Joey. The guy who never did what he was told, in particular not things Dad told him to do. And every time I told him to shut up, he didn't. I'd never seen, or heard that guy letting himself being pushed around.

"Just leave me alone, why don't you," Joey whispered and turned around to run to his room. I knew, for some strange reason, that Dad wouldn't let him. And he didn't. He grabbed his arm when he was just about to run upstairs. Dad shook his head.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Stop it Glen, let me go!" Joey screamed and tried to get loose from Dad's grip. He didn't, but suddenly did something that almost made me fall down the staircase. He actually started to kiss Joey's neck. He tried to push him away, but Dad wouldn't stop.

My mouth was now wide open. I was discusted. Of my own father. It was obvious that Joey didn't want to, why did he do it then? I was confused, and scared that Dad might hurt my big brother.

"Glen, your breath stinks," Joey mumbled, and tried to push Dad away another time. Dad just laughed, and started to unzip his pants. I then knew that Dad was actually thinking of raping Joey. I closed my eyes, and held my hands over my ears. I didn't want to hear. I didn't want to see. But even though I didn't, I could still hear Joey scream in pain.

"Stop.. It.." I could hear him scream, before everything was quiet down there. It was so quiet, I thought the world would go under. I then heard Aunt Amanda's voice in the door.

"Michael? Where are you? We're leaving now, with or without you." Her voice sounded so happy, as it usually did. I then realised how much I'd cried. I was scared. Scared for Joey, and scared of my own father. I got up, and wiped away all the tears I'd cried. I wanted to get out of there, quick.

Everything was suddenlty so bright and clear to me. Joey, not liking my Dad. Them always argeuing over little things. Joey never being able to say anything each time Dad was around..

I slowly walked down the stairs. I saw Dad sitting in the sofa. Joey sat in the sofa as well, but on the other end of it. He'd obviously cried. Dad looked at me as if he knew I'd seen what he'd been doing to Joey, and it scared me.

"Take good care of him, Glen," Aunt Amanda said and smiled. "He's obviously getting worse." Dad smiled, as if nothing had happened, and nodded. She had no clue what I'd just have seen. How long had this been going on? Had it only been this once? It couldn't have been. No one never knew why Joey had never liked Dad. But now I did. Amanda waved at me, and went outside. I felt Dad's eyes choking me.

"Michael did you.. See, or hear anything up there?" he suddenly aksed me.

"Like what?" I replied, surprised how calm I sounded. Dad nodded, but didn't look completely satisfied with me answer. Joey still said nothing, just stared out of the window.

"Bye Joey," I said.

"Bye," he mumbled. He obviously had something on his mind.


End of flashback

I looked over to Joey again, where he sat beside me in the sofa. It looked as if he saw right throught the television. I wanted to tell him that I knew, that might of help him. But, in what way? I sighed. I wanted to tell Mum. I wanted to shout at Dad. But I didn't want him to go to prison, 'cause I knew that if mother found out, that was exactly where he was going. Whatever he did to Joey, he was still my father.

May be if I told him about that Green Day dude. But I decided not to. It'd probably make things worse.

"What are you staring at?" Joey suddenly spoke up, sounding more angry than ever. He didn't even look at me.

"Nothing," I mumbled.

"Oh, so that's what I mean to you fuckers," he said and got up. I wanted to tell him it wasn't, but I could hardly speak. He was kind off scary when he got really angry. He started to tie on his shoes.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Where is Mum?" he asked instead of replying.

"They're all in the backyard..." I began, but my big brother cut me off.

"Good, and keep them there until I get back. I need some stuff," he said, opened the door, and disappeared out in the sunny day.

If only you knew..