Heaven Forbid

The Secret's Out

A long silence followed the end of the story. Harry swallowed hard, and wiped his sweaty palms on his trousers. He hadn't meant to go into such depth, hoping to spare the younger ones, but it was as though he couldn't hold anything back.

Noticing that Draco had begun to whimper, Harry turned to look at the boy. He had a horrified expression on his face that made Harry's heart sink into his stomach and instantly regret telling the story.

Draco was nowhere near ready for it. He hadn't even sat down for a proper dinner, for chrissakes.

Harry moved to put his hand on Draco's back, but much to his surprise, Lily was by Draco's side before he could even move.

She placed a small, shaky hand on his back and squeezed his shoulder comfortingly, only to elicit a tiny hiccup from Draco.

"I'm... I'm sorry," she said, her voice breaking the silence.

Draco looked at her strangely.

"For what?" he asked.

Lily frowned. "For.... well, everything. You know..." she was lost for words.

Draco shrugged, and wiped his face with the back of his hand.

"No. I am sorry. For tears. They're.... I should be pleased to be here?" He posed the statement like a question, and frowned.

Lily's hand fell away.

"No!" Harry nearly shouted. "You shouldn't."

Draco looked from once face to another, clearly confused.

"I should not? But.... I cannot. No, Harry Master. I don't understand."

He suddenly clutched at his chest, his face contorting, and let out a blood-curdling scream, collapsing on the floor.

And chaos erupted.

First, Lily let out a terrified scream of her own, and jumped backwards, nearly toppling over her chair. Harry sprang out of his seat and rushed to Draco's side.

"What happened? Draco! What's wrong?" he shouted, shaking the boy.

"H-hurts," was all he could manage, still clutching his chest.

By this time, Ginny had run over, with the twins at her heels.

"Harry, the spell, remember! He can't disobey!" she yelled.

The spell. Harry thought for a moment.

Of course! He'd told Draco not to be pleased, when he said he was. But there wasn't a way out of that. Draco had to be pleased, either way, because the spell thought it's what the master would want.

But he didn't know what to do! He'd never been told.... unless... He had been told. Narcissa.

He'll need you to punish him.

Oh, God.

"Lily, take the twins and go to your room," he ordered.

"But-"

"NOW, Lily," he shouted, as calmly as he could.

Lily took the twins by hand and all but sprinted up the stairs.

Harry waited until they were out of sight, and then hoisted Draco up. He glanced at Ginny, urging her to look away.

She closed her eyes, and Harry pulled his hand back and brought it back down against Draco's face, hard.

The boy's body instantly relaxed in Harry's arms. A large, red splotch began to form on his face, but his breathing eased, and his face no longer expressed any pain.

Harry heaved the boy's limp body in his arms and carried him up the stairs, to his room. He laid him gently in the bed and covered him with a thin sheet.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, just before closing the door softly behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to apologize for taking so long to get this up. School has kept me exhausted and extremely busy. I'll do better, I promise.

All my love,
Sarah. <3