You Can Let Go Now

Conversations

"You invited him? What, is he like your new best friend?" McKenzie asked with a little bitterness in her voice.

"Don't be so excited, McKenzie," Elizabeth said sarcastically and added, "it's like the second time I've hung out with him. So chill your tits."

"Yeah, and when you hang out with him you're too cool to talk to me," McKenzie said, her voice getting louder.

Elizabeth couldn't believe her friend, she was acting like a jealous teenager. "Are you kidding me? How could you even say that?"

"At the party you practically ditched me to hang out with his friends and him, and yesterday I said I'd call you when I got home from work and you didn't even bother to answer your damn phone..." McKenzie yelled.

"You were practically draping over Max last time I checked and we were on the boat, it was loud, I couldn't hear anything! What are you all mad about?" Elizabeth said, trying to restrain from yelling.

"...you even invited him along tonight! It was supposed to be just us and a couple of people!" Elizabeth continued, pretending she didn't hear her friend.

"Oh now you're just making excuses to pick a fight, McKenzie. We were going as a large group, one extra person won't hurt. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were jealous!" Elizabeth yelled, she couldn't control herself anymore.

"Jealous!?" McKenzie replied, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, because you're not the one hanging out with him!" Elizabeth yelled, not believing what was coming out of each other their mouths.

"Oh yeah, I'm jealous that I'm not the one drooling over someone who's in love with his DEAD ex- girlfriend! I'm totally jealous!" McKenzie sarcastically yelled back.

"You know what? I'm going to drool over him by myself when we go to the fair tonight, with out you!" Elizabeth said, walking out and slamming the door.

She felt like a teenager again, getting in petty little arguments. But honestly, her friend was being a total bitch. It's not like she quit hanging out with her as soon as she met Sidney, it's been one weekend.

Elizabeth found herself walking towards Sidney's. She was only ten minutes earlier than she told him to be. However, when she knocked on the door there was no response. After two minutes she was going to leave, but quickly opened the door and was clearly surprised to see her.

Something about him was different- his eyes for one, were darker. They didn't hold the happiness that she had seen at the party and with his teammates on the boat. His shoulders were slumped as if he was holding a weight he couldn't handle on his back. He gave her a smile that was clearly forced. "Shitty morning?" she asked.

He looked down at the ground and back at her before saying, "Yeah, you could say that."

Not knowing him well enough to ask him if he wanted to talk, Elizabeth decided to say, "Me too. Sorry I came early, I just had to get out of the house."

"I know the feeling," he said, opening the door so she could come in. "We can hang out here for a while if you want. When are your friends going to be ready?"

"McKenzie and I got in a fight, which is why I'm in your kitchen right now," Elizabeth said, chuckling. "so I don't think we're going with them anymore."

He frowned. "I'm sorry. Is it anything you want to talk about?" he asked, a concerned expression on his face.

She smiled gratefully, but declined because she didn't want him knowing the fight was in fact, about him. "No, it's just a stupid argument. We'll be fine in the morning."

"I hope so," he said, sounding sincere. "Would you like anything to drink before we go? Water?"

"I'll take a water, actually."

He opened his fridge which, like the rest of his house, had pictures on it. There was one of him and his dog on his peer. His dog was licking his face and he was laughing with his arms around her.

She smiled and looked at him. He gave her an awkward look before asking, "What?"

"Nothing. I just like this picture, your dog is so cute."

He lightly laughed but didn't say anything. He handed her a water and said, "Let's go, we're going to be late."

"There's no late, Sidney. The fair is open until like one, and it's five." Elizabeth pointed out.

"Whatever, let's go. It's like forty five minutes away, too," he said, walking towards the garage door.

"I can drive," Elizabeth said as he started towards his car.

Sidney nodded and walked back to her house with her. "So, have you been to the fair before?" she asked him.

"Yeah, I went last year for the first time. It was really fun, but I forgot about it this year. Have you been to it?"

"No, this is my first year here. But I keep hearing about it, and McKenzie convinced me to go," Elizabeth said as she unlocked her escalade.

"I see, well you'll have fun. Do you have a big enough car?" he joked as he climbed in the passenger seat and buckled his seat belt.

She did the same and said, "Yes, actually. This is my baby. I hate small cars."

"Yeah, me too. But this is a bit big for one person, don't you think?" he asked, looking around.

"Nah, I drive people around a lot. Plus, it makes me feel bad ass," Elizabeth said.

"Whatever makes you happy," he said laughing.

Sidney watched his new friend happily sing along to U2 all while paying close attention to the road. She was a good driver, Sidney noted. She didn't text or get distracted, she kept her eyes on the road. It made Sidney feel a lot better.

Once 'Pride' was over, she turned down the music and hummed instead of belting her lungs out.

"You listen to good music," Sidney pointed out.

"You sound surprised," she said.

"I guess I thought you listened to rap or something. I don't know why."

She shook her head. "No, that's McKenzie. She listens to terrible music. The only time I can stand her music is when she listens to Eminem. He's acceptable."

"All of that shit is terrible. Some of the guys listen to it in the locker room and it's unbearable. I usually leave," Sidney said.

"You let Jordan listen to it on the boat," Elizabeth reminded him.

"Yeah, I know. But I didn't have to focus for a hockey game. It drives me crazy when they put it on before games."

"It's not that bad. What kind of music do you listen to anyway?" Elizabeth asked as she slowed down at a red light.

As the light turned green, Sidney anxiously looked for any cars still moving. Ever since the accident, he was paranoid. When they passed the intersection Sidney answered, "Well, I have Bon Jovi's CD's in my car and-"

"Wait, you have Bon Jovi CD's in your car?!" Elizabeth asked as she laughed.

Sidney blushed and said, "Yeah, I already get made fun of by my teammates so you can skip that part."

"I wasn't going to make fun of you I just...that surprises me," Elizabeth said, still chuckling.

"That's what a lot of people say about many things about me. I guess I'm not the person people make me out to be," Sidney said seriously.

Comment for moreee :) I'd really really appreciate themmm.