You Can Let Go Now

Unforgotten Birthdays

Elizabeth had no idea where Sidney was. She hadn't seen or heard from him in two days. He didn't come on a run with her in the morning like he usually did. He didn't answer to her call this morning asking if he wanted to go for lunch. Which normally wasn't weird, but usually he responded later on. And didn't respond to her text asking where he was.

Over the past two weeks, her and Sidney had gotten closer. They saw each other daily, they would go on a morning run and usually go for coffee or hang out later in the day.

She decided to lie down and tan because McKenzie had work and it was a beautiful day out. Putting some tanning lotion on, she brought out her sunglasses and phone and sat down on her towel, soaking in the sun.

She liked tanning, not because she wanted to be orange and gross, but because it gave her some peace and quiet. Unlike most people, she didn't listen to music or anything of that sort, she laid in silence and let her thoughts run wild.

Elizabeth wondered if he was mad at her. After all, he always responded to her texts and calls. She couldn't remember saying anything that might have angered him and they definitely hadn't gotten in any fights. It's been two days and not a peep. She wasn't that worried, but something was keeping him from responding. She didn't remember him telling her he had any plans for today so she was confused as to why he hasn't talked to her.

Why did she care so much? Elizabeth asked herself. It's been two days, and it's not like they're dating. She shouldn't care that much, he was just a friend. She had gone a week without talking to McKenzie and she didn't get worried like this.

What about Sidney was different?

Buzz, buzz, buzz.

Sidney picked his phone up and threw it angrily at the wall and watched as it smashed to pieces. He was sick of the texts, 'Are you okay?' 'I'm here if you need me' 'I'm so sorry' 'I know what today is, call me if you need anything' . He didn't want to see them anymore.

In fact, he didn't want to think about it at all. It was mocking him, he had so much planned for today and it was all thrown down the drain. It wasn't fair. She wasn't here for her own damn birthday and it wasn't fair.

Deciding the pain was too much, Sidney made his way to the kitchen and found his alcohol cabinet. Taking out Captain Morgan, he poured himself a glass, mixing it with a can of coke.

Before he knew it five o'clock at came around and he was kneeling over toilet, throwing up the contents of his stomach. He had stayed in all day, drinking his heartache away.

It was all his fault and he knew it. If only he had been paying more attention to the road he would have seen that car coming. She would be here right now, both of them with not a care in the world.

He didn't even hear someone walk in until he felt a hand on his back. He turned and saw Elizabeth, she didn't smile or say anything she just sat there with him. When he was sure he was finished, she helped him up and get to his bed.

"Your mom called me and told me what today was. She's worried about you. I'm so sorry Sidney," Elizabeth explained.

Sidney glanced away from her and said, "You didn't have to come, I'm fine."

Elizabeth did everything she could not to roll her eyes. "Sidney, I found you puking your guts out on the floor of your bathroom. You're a mess, but it's okay. I wouldn't expect anything else."

He didn't say anything and closed his eyes. "Do you want to talk about it? I know it sounds cliche, but it does help. Trust me, I know."

"You know?" Sidney asked.

"My dad. But it's in the past now. I'm here for you if you need someone. I know we're not extremely close but it helps to talk to someone," Elizabeth said.

So he did. He told her all about Emily and the accident with a couple of tears he was ashamed about. He told her and she listened intently. When he was finished she hugged him and said, "I'm so sorry, Sidney. You don't deserve that. She sounds like she was great."

"She was," Sidney said sadly.

It killed Elizabeth to hear him talk about his late girlfriend. It was selfish, she knew, but she wished he talked about her the loving way he talked about Emily.