You Can Let Go Now

The Morning After

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

"You look like shit," Taylor stated as she took in his appearance. His hair was messy, he had bags under his bloodshot eyes, and he looked like he lost weight from the way his face looked.

"Gee, thanks," he said, taking her stuff to the boat.

"Have you eaten or slept in the past month?" Taylor asked worriedly.

"I'm fine, mom," Sidney sarcastically replied.

"Oh grow up Sid, all I'm trying to do is make sure you're okay because I care about you. No need to get crabby cause I'm worried," Taylor spat at him.

"Well there's no need to be, I'm fine," Sidney said, angrily.

"Oh you're fine, are you? You can't even say her name out loud, or hear it! You look like you've lost ten pounds and the bags under your eyes tell me that you're getting no sleep. I wouldn't say you're 'fine'. Heaven forbid you're not okay after your girlfriend- practically future wife- dies!" Taylor yelled.

Sidney looked as if he was slapped in the face, images of her death popped into his mind, overtaking his thoughts. He could see her bloody face, head resting against the dashboard. Feeling dizzy, he grabbed the kitchen counter. "Maybe today's not a good day for boating," he told his younger sister.

She sighed, giving up for the day. She said, crossing her arms, "Fine. You can take me home then, mom and dad are out."

Sidney didn't say anything as he walked towards the car, her following. The car ride was filled with awkward silence. Sidney paid close attention to the road and Taylor stared out the window, wishing her brother would just talk to someone.

Once they got to his old house Taylor opened the door, turned back to Sidney and said, "I didn't mean to yell at you. But you should really not push away the people who care about you."

She shut the door before he could say anything. He regretted being an ass right away, he knew she was right. He wasn't healthy and he couldn't blame her for being worried.

After getting home and going fishing, he heard his phone ring, seeing it was his dad. He knew he was going to get an ear load about what happened in the morning. "Hi dad," he answered.

"You should apologize to your sister right now, son. She called crying because of what happened," his dad told him.

"I'm sorry-"

"I know you're hurting, but we all are, son. We loved E- her. Taylor especially. She's having a hard time too, you didn't have to be so mean to her," his dad said.

Sidney stayed quiet for a moment before he said, "I'll call her tomorrow and apologize, I promise."

"Okay. Goodnight, son."

"Goodnight, dad," Sidney said before hanging up. He hadn't meant to make his younger sister cry. But he knew she'd forgive him, she understood him.

Sam rested her head on his muscular thigh when he sat down at the dock. He petted her head, thinking about the last time he was on this dock. It had been the previous summer, with her.

Flashback.

Sidney sat on the edge of the dock, dipping his toes in the water. Emily followed him, resting her head on his shoulder. "I wish we could stay here," she told him, "I'm not ready to go to Pittsburgh."

"Me too," he confessed, "I'm not ready to deal with that life yet."

Understanding what he mean, Emily said, "You'll do great. You always do."

"Thanks, I sure hope so," he said, standing up and adding, "Care for one last dip?"

"I don't have my bathing suit, it's packed," she told him.

He pulled her up and grabbed the bottom of her shirt playfully. He leaned in and whispered in her ear, "It's okay, you don't need any clothes."

Her cheeks reddened as she looked around. "People will see," she protested, "it's not even dark yet!"

"No one will see," he promised, already taking his shirt off, "but do what you want, I'm going in."

Seeing him without his shirt off made her mind for her. Within fifteen seconds, all her clothes were off and she jumped in next to him.

Laughing when he went under water and came up right next to her, their naked bodies touching, she said, "I feel like everyone can see us!"

"Who cares," he said, kissing her on the lips, silencing her.


End flashback

His heart ached thinking about it. As if she felt his pain, Sam came over and licked him on the face. Sidney brought an arm up and petted his beloved dog on the head.

Elizabeth loved early morning runs. They cleared her mind, plus, kept her in shape. She rarely ever misses a day, faithfully getting up at seven a.m. each morning.

As she ran the path down the lake she saw a guy and what looked to be his father fishing, a dog barking playfully at their heels. Even from afar, she could tell the son was attractive, she could see he was fit.

When she got closer, realization dawned on her as she saw who it was. With him and his father glancing up at her, it was Sidney Crosby. She tried to keep the blush of her cheeks as she kept on the bath, the two no longer in her peripheral vision.

She couldn't believe Sidney Crosby, arguably NHL's best player, lived only three houses down-in the summer. Obviously he went back to Pittsburgh to play hockey, she went back home NYC with McKenzie. McKenzie came from a wealthy family, and they stayed at their lake house over the summer.

When she came back, she always had to turn around because the lake was too big to run all the way around, they were still out there fishing but this time neither of them glanced her way. They seemed to be in a deep conversation, the elder put what she assumed to be a comforting hand on the his son's shoulder.

When she got back McKenzie had breakfast ready, as usual. "Hey, how was your run?" she asked.

Elizabeth laughed, "You'll never guess who lives three doors down."

"Who?" McKenzie asked as they sat down at the kitchen table.

"Sidney Crosby."

McKenzie dropped her fork, "No shit."

Elizabeth smiled, "I'm serious. It's for sure him. He was out on his deck with his dad, trust me I got a good enough look."

McKenzie and Elizabeth were big hockey fans, faithful to the NY Rangers. McKenzie's family had season tickets, and they often went to the games. McKenzie actually had been the one to introduce the game to Elizabeth, and it was quick before she too was an avid fan of not only the game, but the Rangers.

"Wow...now we know we gotta look hot this summer," McKenzie said.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "He's probably already has a girlfriend."

"Have I ever cared about that? No," she said, only half kidding.

Elizabeth chuckled and dug into her food, she was starving.