You Can Let Go Now

Party Planning

I do believe that if you haven't learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness.
-Nana Mouskouri


Sidney walked in the coffee house knowing he wouldn't be bothered. He'd been coming here every summer since he could remember, and the people never treated him different than any other person.

He smiled when he saw Carolyn was working. She was an old woman that worked here ever since he came. "Hello, Sidney," she greeted.

"Hi, Carolyn," Sidney replied.

"Congratulations on the cup! We were all rooting for you. We knew you could do it," she reminded him.

"Thanks, it means a lot," he truthfully told her.

She smiled wider, asking, "The usual?"

"Won't ever change it," Sidney said, already bringing out the exact change.

Carolyn shook her head, pushing his hand away, "This one is on the house."

"Carolyn, it's fine. I can-" Sidney tried.

"No, you just won the cup. This is what I can do," Carolyn said sternly, giving him his coffee.

"Thank you," he said, smiling as he walked toward his usual spot in the corner.

As he sat down he pulled out the Hockey News, he looked at the picture on the front. It was him, in the Penguins uniform, smiling as he lifted the cup over his head for the first time.

"I like that picture," a woman's voice observed. Sidney looked up to see the girl from the boat, Elizabeth, looking down at him, "You look happy."

"I was. It was one of the best days of my life," Sidney told her, wondering why she said it.

"I'm sure it was," she agreed, "Well I just saw you here and I wanted to apologize for ruining your plans the other day. Those weren't our intentions."

"You didn't ruin any plans," he assured her, "We just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Well thank you," she said, "That was all I wanted to say. So I guess I'll see you later..."

She was turning away when Sidney stopped her. "You can sit if you want," he found himself saying, "I don't mind any company."

He watched as her cheeks tinted red from a blush and then she sat down. "So, do you live here all year?" he asked.

"No, only during the summer. McKenzie and I go to Columbia University in New York City so that's where we live. This summer is actually the first I've been here, it's beautiful," she said.

"It is," he agreed, "But New York also seems like a cool city."

"Yeah, I love it. But you've been there?" she asked.

"I have, for hockey obviously. But I don't go out of the hotel and the rink much on the road," Sidney told her.

"Well, next time you come out, maybe I can show you around," Elizabeth said.

"I'd like that," Sidney said, smiling.

Elizabeth couldn't believe herself. She barely knew the guy, he was practically a stranger and she was inviting him to hang out with her when he came to NYC. She met his eyes, and she was lost in them. They were beautiful. However, they looked tired and sad. They contradicted the happiness that was evident in the picture on the table.

Looking at the picture, "Do you know what you're going to do with the cup?" she asked, watching as his face lit up at the mention of the cup.

"No, not really. I'll probably bring it to the Children's Hospital and do the parade obviously. Other than that, I don't know," he said, his brow furrowing in thought.

"I see, well I'm sure it will be a busy day," she concluded.

"Yeah, plus I get it on my birthday now," he said.

"Really? That's awesome!"

"Yeah, it should be fun, I can't wait," he admitted.

Blame it on the Goose (goose)
Got you feeling loose (loose)
Blame it on Petron ('tron)
Got you in the zone (zone)
Blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol
Blame it on the alcohol (fades)

Elizabeth jumped and searched through her Coach purse to try and find her Blackberry. On the last ring, she answered, "Hello?"

"Where are you!?" McKenzie's voice yelled.

"Uhmm...at a coffee shop. Why?" She asked, leaving out the fact she was with Sidney. McKenzie would start asking a million questions and she didn't want to deal with it.

"We are supposed to have a girls day! You're the one who thought of it! I wake up and you're not even here!" McKenzie said, a tint of annoyance in her voice.

"Okay, Okay. I'm sorry. I'll be right there, jeese," Elizabeth said, hanging up before anything else was said.

"Is everything alright?" Sidney asked, concern on his now tan face.

"Yeah, I forgot about plans I made with McKenzie a few days ago. I have to go. I'm sorry," she said, frowning.

"It's okay. I'll see you around, Elizabeth."

She smiled at him, "Bye Sidney."