You Can Let Go Now

Revealings

"Shots, shots, shots!" Hilary, Jordan Staal's girlfriend yelled as all the girls clinked glasses and downed some tequila. Elizabeth made a face as it burned her throat and quickly grabbed the closest drink to chase it down.

The girls had been hanging out for a while, and they were all really friendly. Elizabeth had always had this view of them to be stuck up and rude. She guess she had been judgmental, but she turned out to be wrong. They all were nice and liked to have a good time.

After two shots, Elizabeth went away from the group for a while because she didn't want to be smashed. She found Sidney's hammock and sat down on it, leaning back.

Elizabeth watched McKenzie pull Max Talbot away from the crowd, off to who knows where. She smiled to herself, that girl was crazy. But she loved her for it.

Her eyes traveled around the party and they landed on Sidney, who was sitting by himself at the dock. She wondered why he wasn't partying like everyone else here. A voice brought her out of her thoughts. "Do you like him?"

Elizabeth choked and turned her head to see Vero's questioning eyes as her new friend sat down next to her. "No, I barely know him. To be quite honest, I'm surprised I'm even here. I've talked to him like...twice. Why do you ask?"

"I don't know, I don't mean to be rude. Most girls who meet him like him immediately because he's 'Sidney Crosby', I was just wondering whether you do or not. I'm sorry," Vero said quickly.

"No, it's alright. I see where you're coming from. He certainly is a good looking guy, but I can't say I like a guy before I know him," Elizabeth said. She didn't know why she was telling a stranger this.

"He's a good guy," Vero promised as her own eyes fell onto her friend, "all of us just want him happy. Ever since the accident he-"

"I'm sorry, what? What accident?"

"You don't know? Do you read the news at all?" Vero asked, surprised.

"No, not about hockey. I mean I know they won the cup and all, but I don't really follow much, I guess that much is obvious now. What accident?" Elizabeth asked, confused.

"Well, I'm not sure I should tell you but since it was all over the news I guess...anyway, he was in a car accident about a month before they won the cup."

Elizabeth gasped, she had no idea. "Are you serious? I really had no idea."

"Yeah, it was terrible. I don't really like talking about it, but he hasn't been the same. He really just needs a friend right now," Vero explained, turning towards Elizabeth.

Immediately she felt awkward because she had a feeling Vero thought her and Sidney were closer than they actually were. Because in reality, she's had two-now three- conversations with him. She knew nothing about him, especially his personal life.

"He has a team full of friends," Elizabeth stated, and added after thinking that might sound rude, "I'm not trying to be mean. Shouldn't he talk to them?"

Vero laughed, as if she said something funny. "Look, Sidney's not the 'I'm going to share my feelings' kind of guy, and I'm sure he does tell them things, but they live far away and rarely see him over the summer. All I'm saying is that it would be nice for him to have a new friend here."

Elizabeth didn't get a chance to say anything as they were interrupted by Marc Andre, who was a little tipsy. "You're friend is very out there," he said while he put his arms around the two woman.

"I know, but she just likes to have a good time," Elizabeth explained.

"She and Talbo are a good match then," he said, nodding his head towards the two. They were now dancing, each with a cup of beer in their hands.

Elizabeth snorted, "Clearly."

"Babe, let's get something to eat, I'm hungry," Marc Andre said.

"Alright, I gotta take care of his drunk ass," Vero said, "do you want to come get some food with us?" she asked.

"No, no. I'll let you handle it," Elizabeth joked, "I think I'm going to head out anyway. I'm pretty tired."

Vero frowned, "Alright, well hopefully I'll see you tomorrow or something before we leave. It was nice hanging out with you tonight."

"Yeah, I'm sure I'll see you before you guys leave. It was nice meeting you guys," Elizabeth said politely.

"You too. I'll see you later," Vero said as she and and Marc Andre walked away.

Elizabeth got up as well and walked to where Sidney was still sitting at the dock, his dog laying next to him. "Hey," she said as he jumped and turned around, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to thank you for inviting me to your party. I had fun."

He smiled and said, "Good, I'm glad you did. I'm sorry we didn't hang out more, I feel bad. I know you don't really know anyone here."

"Yeah, what kind of host has a party and sits by himself at his dock?" she jabbed at him playfully as she sat next to him.
He chuckled and said, "To be honest, I didn't really want to have the party. I was forced to. I'm not much a partier anyway."

"Neither am I," she said, "that's more of McKenzie's scene. I just go along with her."

"You must be a good friend then," he told her.

He really just needs a friend right now

"I am. Maybe one day you'll see for yourself," she said seriously.

He turned his body towards hers, looking at her for a moment. "I'd like that," he said.

Elizabeth lightly blushed and looked at him. Now that Vero had mentioned the accident, she saw a scar on the left side of his forehead that ran about halfway to his ear. Once she realized she was staring at it, she quickly looked away.

"Me too," she said, "But right now, I'm so tired I'm getting worried I might not make it home before I pass out."

"I can walk you home," he offered, "I wouldn't want you walking home by yourself anyway."

"I should find McKenzie first," she said as they stood up.

They both looked towards his house to see McKenzie still dancing. "Whatever," Elizabeth said, "she looks like she's having fun. I'm trusting you to make sure that she doesn't go home alone either."

"I promise I'll have someone escort her back," he assured her.

"Thanks, you really don't have to take me back. It's a three minute walk, max."

"I want to," he pressed.

"So, if you didn't want to hold this party, who convinced you?" Elizabeth asked as they started walking.

"My friend CJ, he told me I needed to get fucked up and find some chicks. His words," Sidney said.

Elizabeth laughed and said, "Sounds like a good guy."

"He is," he said, "he has his moments though. Like that."

"So that's what made you have the party? Wait, am I one of your chicks? Is that why you're walking me home, to try and get with me?" She half yelled, pretending to be angry.

Sidney immediately stopped walking and said quickly, "What? No, of course not. I- he-"

"Sidney, I'm kidding," she assured him, smiling as he let out a breath.

"Very funny," he said. They walked up to her back door and she turned toward him. "Thanks again for inviting me to your party and walking me home."

"Anytime."

"I'll see you later, then," she said.

"Bye, Elizabeth," he replied as he walked away. He gave one last wave before turning away.

Once he left, Elizabeth changed into her pajama's and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she was out.