Status: In progress

Spirit Dreamers

Road Trip

“Where did you say this place was again?”

I asked my mom with annoyance. Trying not to show much of it. My parents were just doing what was best for our family. Especially since my dad had a new better paying job, that was so far away from our current location.

“Remember? I said it's in Malinkis. So, we have to get serious with the cleaning and moving by next week.”

I sighed as soon as she gave me the answer I wasn't looking for. Having to do so much cleaning and moving in so little time, I was hardly ready to go. My body was aching. My headache was just beginning.

“Yeah, I know...” I answered.

School and homework automatically popped into my head as well as the couple of friends I have.

I was known to be slightly anti-social. It seemed to be an inside joke my family created. So naturally it was pretty difficult for me to approach someone new. Not that I was some sort of weirdo who you couldn’t stand being around. It was the simple fact of being too shy, I suppose. Which made me wonder why it was so easy for others to approach me, as though I was the charming and talkative girl on campus.

“Marie! Where's the car keys? I need to go take the car to the machinate.”

My dad asked with an irritable tone from their room.

“It's on top of the dresser in the room, Eddie!”

My mom answered with complete annoyance. There was never a day where my parents didn't argue with each other.

****

A week passed and now we were riding in our family van heading to . I sat in the backseat with George, while I held onto my cat, Isis. Isis never enjoyed carriers, so I always held onto her whenever we moved. Isabelle, Jamie, and Kalynn sat in the seats in front of us. Star laid on her stomach underneath their feet, while Diana and Spunky meowed inside their carriers, begging to come out, in between George and myself.

We drove on and off, resting and driving. Hours had passed and the scenery around us began to change from brown to green. More trees and grass were being seen, and less civilization. I hastily grabbed at my camera and captured as much as I could.

“Mommy, I'm hungry.”

Jamie said, usually saying he was hungry whenever he saw the opportunity to eat out.

“Me too.”

Kaylynn always agreed.

“Alright. We'll buy some food.”

My mom stated, as my dad started searching for a place to eat.

We soon came across a liquor store. We all jumped out and gathered around our parents as we walked inside the store. As soon as I noticed that not too many people were inside, I slowly made my way towards the refrigerators. I never really enjoyed being around too many strangers, it was an uncomfortable feeling for me. Perhaps I am anti-social.

I walked past the clear, solid, and cold windows of the refrigerators filled with liquor, until I found what I was looking for. The refrigerators full of soda's, juices, and other non-liquor. I quickly opened the refrigerator door and searched for the Snapple and Arizona drinks, and as soon as I found the mango Arizona drink, I pulled it out and shut the door. I always preferred the Arizona mango drink over the Snapple drinks. The Arizona lasted longer, plus it was for a cheaper price.

As I turned around to leave the aisle, I bumped into a guy who made me stumble back, and drop my can of Arizona, making me gasp when it hit the floor and busted open.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I didn't see you.” I sincerely apologized. Hoping my parents wouldn't have to pay for my troubles.

The random guy that I bumped into looked to be the age of fourteen or fifteen, but sounded as though he were seventeen when he started chuckling, and said with a strong Louisiana accent.

“It's okay, I'll just go grab the mop, and you can get another. We won't charge you, it's no problem.”

I barely realized that he worked here, when I noticed his uniform, which was a medium blue apron.

“Oh...okay, thank you.”

I said as I watched him pick up the busted Arizona can, then walked to the back of the store behind the doors where only the employees were allowed.

I looked around for my siblings, hoping they weren't watching and laughing at my embarrassment. But thankfully, they were all in the food aisle, grabbing at what we could only afford.

The same guy that I had bumped into came back out with a mop in his right hand, and a yellow water filled bucket that you'd usually see in shops, and such. He smiled at me as he began cleaning up the puddle of juice on the floor.

I smiled in embarrassment, then looked away and started to pretend that I was having a difficult time choosing another drink.

I slightly jumped up, startled from his voice.

“You’re not from aroun' here, are you?”

He guessed right, his eyes scanning me over.

“Hah...uh, no” I shook my head as I continued “I'm not.”

It was hard to understand him with his strong accent, so I felt the need to answer slowly.

“Thought so. You guys tourists or you guys movin' here?”

I looked around trying to comprehend what he had just said.

“.....Uhhhh...” I frowned in confusion “I-I'm sorry, I can't understand what your saying because of your accent, hah.”

He chuckled and tried again.

“I said are you guys movin' here??”

“Oh! Haha, yeah...we are.”

I nodded. I might as well have been deaf.

“Ah...where you guys comin' from?”

I understood him a little better since he started talking in a slower pace.

“Um, from the valley. We used to live in the high desert area in California.”

“Ohh. Then you guys must be used to the heat, huh?”

“Hah, yeah.”

I nodded in agreement.

“I used to live in Louisiana, as I'm sure you can tell.”

“Haha, yeaah.”

“Yeah, but me and my family moved out here to move closer to our relatives, even though we still don't visit them all that much, hah.”

This made me laugh a bit more, making me feel a little more comfortable, even though he started talking in that fast pace again, that I couldn't understand.

“Ohh.”

I grabbed another Arizona mango can, as I tried to understand the rest of his story.

“Yeah, and one of my good buddy's decided that he wanted to move with us, I didn't think his parents would let him, but when he told them that he'd be sending em' money, as soon as he'd get a job here, they let him come with no more questions asked.”

“Haha, oh wow.”

“Yup. So me and my friend are wokin' here now.”

“Ohh...wait, how old are you??”

“I'm fifteen.”

“Whoa...and you have a job??”

“Yup. They don't really care about age aroun' here. As long as you can work for certain hours, and your parents are A-OK with it.”

He smiled, knowing very well that he was living in content.

This surprised me, since it was difficult for me and my parents to find jobs where we used to live.

“Are you serious??”

“Yup”

“Wow, that's cool. How much do you guys make?”

“Eh, enough. We don't make all that much and as much as we'd like, cause' we still go to school.”

“Ohhh...that sucks.”

He shrugged off my comment “Still gettin' paid though.”

Suddenly the manager interrupted him, as he said.

“Jason, we need you up front.”

“Oh, okay.”

And as soon as the manager left, Jason looked back to me, as he walked away, and said.

“See ya.”

“Bye.”

I put my hand up in a waving motion, and a polite smile, and was startled when my siblings came up from behind me with annoying questions.

“What happened?”

Was George's usual question. He had dark brown hair and dark brown eyes that were framed with black framed glasses. His profile full and hug-able, with pinch-able dimples that were noticeable from his contagious smile that blended with his brown skin tone. He stood only by a couple of inches higher than me, we assume he's only five by five feet tall.

“Nothing.”

Was my usual answer.

“Who was that guy?”

Isabelle asked me, watching him while she frowned. Isabelle asked me, watching him while she frowned. Her wavy, thick, long, and very dark hair stopping beneath her shoulders, her short bands above her very dark brown and secretive eyes. Isabella being of the shortest between George and I. But her friends enjoyed her four by eleven height. Her skin tone was a few tones dark than my fair skin. We had similarities, but our friends always swore we looked exactly alike, though we hardly agreed. She had more of my moms traits, as I had more of my dads traits from his side of the family.

I shrugged, trying to play it off as though I really wasn't interested “Just some guy named Jason that works here.”

“What did he say to you?”

Kalynn asked in wonder. Her hair was a mixture between my hair and Isabella's. Wavy and curly hair very dark brown hair combined to be the hardest type to maintain, which always made me pity her lack of well kept hair. Her face was literally ninety five percent my face, her dark brown eyes much darker and somewhat larger than mine own, the color of Isabella's eyes and hair.

“Nothing, really.”

It was the honest truth.

“Was he asking you out?”

Jamie became protective over his sister as soon as his tenth birthday passed a couple years ago. He had my natural colored hair, precisely dark brown hair, which was a more noticeable brown than my other siblings. His brown colored eyes my own as well, framed with black framed glass, but his traits were a mixture of my mother and father.

“No, Jamie. Now stop asking questions! God!”

I shook my head in disapproval.

I needed silence after being asked so many questions by them all at once.

And silence is what I got when we finally reached the cash register, and there stood Jason, with another teenage guy next to him. Both didn't notice me when they were talking in low voices, chuckling together.

I tried to make it seem as though I hadn't noticed them either when I looked over to George and asked.

“Where's mom and dad?”

“Their over there talking to the manager about the town.”

“Oh, well are we going to have to wait for them to pay for the food, or what?”

“No, they already gave me the money to pay.”

George said in annoyance. Which confused me when he asked the most random questions in the entire family. And I'm not over reacting about that.

“Oh, okay, good.”

It seemed to grow awkward when we walked up to the counter with our groceries.

“Hey.”

Jason said, giving off a small smile.

“Hey, heh.”

I slightly waved.

“Hey there.”

The guy next to him waved with a great big grin, wearing a blue apron, as well. His voice a little deeper than Jason's was, and seemed to look the same age as him. He was obviously taller than him, pushing towards six feet. He had a nice natural, goldish tan to his skin, thick dark brown, shinny, wavy, shaggy, but brushed back hair, a wide cheerful smile, that made you want to smile too; and dark brown eyes that seemed too inviting.

“Hi."

I gave back a polite smile.

Jason began ringing up our food and drinks, as he introduced his friend.

“This is my friend, Nick1oai.”

“Yeah, but you can just call me, Nick.”

“Oh, okay. Nice to meet you, Nick. I'm Malean.”

“Cool” He smiled in amusement as he continued “Jason said that you couldn't understand him, so I'm gonna be his translator for now, haha.”

“Haha....are you from Louisiana too?”

I frowned, noticing now that he didn't really have an accent like his friend Jason had.

“Yup, sure am.”

“Then how come you don't have an accent?”

My siblings listened to our entire conversation, as my parents continued their own conversation with the manager nearby.

“Oh, cause' I moved around some when I used to live there. So if I ever had an accent, it faded away.”

“Ohhh, interesting...I think I can kind’a hear your accent though.”

“Hah, least I don't sound like him.”

Nick pointed over to Jason.

“Hahaha, true.”

Jason seemed to lose a bit of his humors side, as he said.

“That'll be twenty-two-ninety-five, please.”

My brother counted the money, then looked back to Jason, and asked.

“Oh, what was that? I'm sorry.”

This made me suppress laughter; I held my lips in a tight line, then looked away, trying not to laugh. My brother couldn't understand Jason either! I wasn't the only one.

“Twenty-two ninety-five.”

“Oh.”

George handed him the money, as Nick and Jason began bagging our food.

“So Jason tells me that you just moved here.”

“Oh, hah, yeah...well we haven't seen the house, were heading there, but we got hungry, and stopped here.”

“Ahh. So you don't know where you live at?”

I shook my head truthfully when I answered “Nope...but my parents do.”

Isabelle cut in and said.

“We live on, Roseavel.”

Nick looked over to Isabelle and said.

“Oh! I know where that place is.” He smiled her way as he introduced himself .

“Hi, I'm Nick.”

“Oh, this is my sister, Isabelle.”

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

Isabelle surprised me by smiling back as well as saying nothing more. She was known as the chatter box in our family.

Nick gave Isabelle one glance, then his eyes came back to me.

“So what grade are ya in?”

“Um, I'm in twelve grade.”

“Wow, were in tenth grade.”

He grinned.

“Hah, yeah, I know.”

“So do you know which school you'll be going to?”

“Umm..no, but I'm sure it's going to be the closet school to our house though.”

“Hey! What do ya know? The nearest school that's close by that neighborhood is our school!”

His grin, still very much in place.

“Haha, really?” I smiled back “That's cool...so how is that school?”

He shrugged, as though there really wasn't anything about their school to flaunt about, “Pretty typical. You know all the different groups.”

“Ohh. I've never really been to a school like that, well not as bad as what I've seen from the other schools on TV.”

“Ah. Well, this is that type of school. And pretty much, that bad.”

That made me smile half heartily. I didn't like the sound of that at all. I never enjoyed things out of the ordinary for me.

“Wow...so are you in a group too?”

“Eh, not really. I'm more of a loner.”

He nodded, solemnly. Now that made me feel a bit better, even if that sounds bad. I was hoping Nick wasn't in some group, that I would usually make fun of. It was part of my humor, to impersonate other people. Plus, I'm basically known as a chameleon. A person who's friends with just about anyone, as long as they're not bullies, I hate bullies.

“Oh, really? Heh, I kinda am too.”

“Well, we'll be going to the same school, so we should hang out sometime.”

He sent me a smile, with hope in his words.

“Yeah” I smiled and nodded in agreement,“We should. And you can show me around.”

“Yup.”

He nodded with no problem. As soon as our conversation was over, my parents came to retrieve us, and the groceries.

“Come on you guys, let’s go.”

My dad said in a rush.

“Grab the bags, come on.”

My mom said as she grabbed less than us. I grabbed about four bags in each palm, trying to lessen the load, to make a faster trip. I slowly walked as I looked over to Nick, not really wanting to go just yet.

“So we'll see you at school?”

I nodded as I began walking out towards the exit, following my family “Yeah...I just don't know when I'll start, but it should be sometime this week, I still have to enroll.”

“Ah, right. Okay, see ya later, Laen!”

He waved while Jason gave a little wave as well, while Nick seemed more eager than him, which made me chuckle.

“Bye.”

I chuckled as I turned the corner, out of sight.

Getting nicknames wasn't new to me, but getting a nickname on the first day of meeting someone was new.

We drove towards the direction of our new home. I haven't seen it yet, so I was pretty excited. But the forest that surrounded us on either side of the road, had me occupied.

“We’re almost there, you guys.”

My dad announced, as I took as many pictures as I could, but made sure that I was capturing great photos as well. When we drove past a noticeably beautiful view, I instantly zoomed in, as much as I needed to capture.

I instantly gasped in silence from a large shadowy figure that quickly flew past my camera lenses, which seemed to be lurking in the forest. I squinted, trying to search for it with frantic eyes. I had seen nothing but the bright green forest trees. This instantly slowed my pulse; but it didn't calm my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Be warned. This is a long and boring chapter! But the next chapter is better.