Status: In progress

Spirit Dreamers

The End

I looked over to George.

“I just saw something...”

“What?” He asked in curiosity.

“I don't know...” My forehead creased in concern “but I think it was an animal...but it was big.”

“Oh, hey, mom?”

George was excellent at spreading news like a wildfire.

“Whaa?”

She answered lazily.

“Malean said that she just saw something in the woods.”

“Oh come on, now you’re gonna' scare the little ones into thinking that something’s in the woods.”

“I didn't even say anything, George did!”

I answered in annoyance. I hated when she'd accuse me of something I hadn't done, but then again, I couldn't help but chuckle. I enjoyed scaring them.

Jamie and Kalynn suddenly turned over to me with expressions of wonder.

“What did you see??”

They both asked, probably hoping it was something paranormal, or an alien. They were known to watch the movie Signs, way too much.

I shook my head in confusion “I don't know.”

I turned back to peer at the forest, feeling now that we were being watched by whatever it was.

Suddenly, our van began making odd sounds, and sounds like that were never a good sign. I rolled my eyes, shook my head in annoyance, then laid my head back and sighed.

It annoyed me whenever my parents bought a used car. We never had a used car with no minor problems, and it seemed to always cost us more than what we bought it for, since we'd always have to take it to a shady machinate who never seemed to finish the job when we'd get the car back. We never could afford a professional tune up.

My dad sighed slowed down “Damnit.” he said under his breath.

“Awh, just stop right here, Eddie.” My mom pointed towards the side of the road.

My dad drove out of the road to the edge of the forest, and then parked the car.

My parents both stepped out, opening the hood of the van to find the cause.

Isabelle stood in the way of Jamie's and Kalynn's exit.

“Nu-uh. You guys stay inside.”

“Why??”

Jamie asked.

“But we want to get out.”

Kalynn stated.

George and I stepped in their way as well when we noticed that their whining increased.

“Stay inside, you guys!”

I said in complete irritation.

“Get inside!”

George said in bitter frustration.

“Daddyyy.”

Kalynn called for our dad, since he usually let them get away with things.

“Let them out! God!”

My dad had snapped. He hated the fact that he could never hear our mom over our voices. They were both trying to figure out what was causing our car to slow down.

We moved away from the van to let Jamie and Kalynn out, with annoyance.

I stepped away further, towards the entrance of the forest, but stopped in my tracks from Isabella’s voice.

“Where are you going?”

“Nowhere. I'm just gonna get some pictures taken.”

“Okay, but don't go in there.”

I sighed “But I need some better pictures.”

“But you just said that you saw something out there, and now your going in there!?”

I made her laugh with my clueless face, then my animated laugh, to keep her at bay.

“Oh, right.”

“Isabelle!”

“Yes, daddy?”

“Go inside the van, and look for the Auto shop bag, please.”

“Okay.”

Isabelle left, and this was my chance to get some pictures! I slightly snuck away. Watching Isabelle as I did so, making sure that she wasn't watching me, as she'd usually do, even though I was a year older than her, she seemed more mature than me, which confused our friends since I seemed to be the more immature one. And that was just fine with me.

Even though I got away without her noticing me, I still felt like I should go back. Isabelle just haaad to bring up the thing that I had seen earlier, now I was secretly freaking out. I quickly took out my light pink, Canon camera, and took my mind off of that thought with mother nature.

This was paradise for me, to be honest. I stared in awe at the vast and bright green, forest. It was beautiful!

I walked as I began snapping pictures, here and there, and deleted the pictures that weren't good enough to my artistic eye, or the ones that were just plain crappy.

The more I walked, the deeper I was into the forest, and the more distant my family's voice became.

I stopped when I noticed a great view, up towards the trees. It was a colorful bird that I've never seen before. It was chirping, pretty loud, but it echoed very well. It's blue, green, and yellowish feathers were gorgeous in the sunlight, that broke through the leafs from above. As I came closer to that tree, I noticed the tree was filled with them!

I didn't want to scare them, so I slightly hid myself behind a tree that was nearby the tree full of birds I readied my camera, began zooming in on the medium sized bird, and silently walked as close as I could get, without it noticing me.

“Ah!”

My foot had slid into a trap (not really). I was pinned by the foot, which made me look down. My entire foot, including my ankle, was jammed in between the trees giant roots.

“Damnit.”

I wasn't watching where I was going, which was pretty rare for me, since I'm usually more careful in new places.

I tried to pull my foot out unsuccessfully, which made me make frustrated sounds.

I turned off my camera, shoved it into the pocket of my sweater, and began using both hands to yank my leg.

When I felt that my foot was coming out, I kept pulling, until it popped out completely, and as soon as it did, I lost my balance, and then fell forward.

“A-ahh!”

The roots made me trip, which caused me to fall to the ground, and roll down a steep hill, that I hadn't seen. I tried to grabbed onto anything, but found no handles.

“Ahhh!”

I rolled into what seemed to be a large dirt hole, that took me into a cave. I hit the rock solid ground, hard. I let out sounds of pain, as I rolled onto my side, to lessen the throbbing pain from my front. I grabbed onto the cave of the wall, and tried to pull myself up. I clenched my jaw trying to fight back the tears of pain.

Once I was strong enough to pull myself to my feet, I leaned against the wall to regain my balance, my head was spinning. I kept my eyes shut and cradled my head, to stop the pain. As soon as I felt better, I opened my eyes, to examine my body, and my surroundings.

I let out a surprising breath. I've never seen a cave before, it was so cool. It was about twenty feet long, but it was surely wide.

I stepped away from the wall, searching for my camera, as I walked backwards to get a good enough view of the cave.

In that instant, I had stopped breathing, moving; I stopped dead in my tracks when I had suddenly heard a low growl coming from behind me.

I've never moved so slow in my life, when I tried to turn around, to whatever was watching me from behind, had my limbs numb, and my hairs standing. My lungs began working again, when I had breathed in a frightened gasp; finally facing the animal that was standing at least six feet away from me.

It was a giant cougar. I've seen wild cats at a Wild Cats zoo, but this cougar was twice as big as any other. It seemed to tower over my five foot body, which made me gaze up, and gawk at it. I was completely frozen now, as it watched me, and held my gaze, with its unusual color eyes, that were fuchsia.

The gigantic cougars face lowered towards me, as if to get a better look at me. My heartbeat quickened, as the animal moved toward me.

Suddenly, something had lunged at the cougar, before it could get any closer to me. I flew backwards, and fell onto my back from the rush of powerful wind, that the animals had caused. And all I could hear were the vicious sounds of the cougar, and the other animal.

I scrambled up in panic. I was horror struck when I watched the new scene before me. The cougar was being attacked by a giant wolf! I've never seen a wolf in real life, but I've seen enough on TV to remember that wolves were never as big as this one!

The wolf took a quick glance at me, this made my eyes widen in shock. Its fur was as black as night, which framed its red eyes so well. The trance that the wolf had me in had been broken when the cougar struck the wolf. The animals wrestled around on the ground, smashing and squashing whatever got in their way, which made me back away, instinctively.

I tripped over the rocky ground; I seemed to have been paralyzed with fear, as I slowly stood back to my feet, watching the animals battle moving towards me.

It happened all so fast. I had been in the way, when the cougar tried attacking the wolf. The exact moment that the cougar scratched my shoulder, the wolf pushed me away with its muzzle. I screamed in pain, and in fright, when the cougar’s razor sharp claws made contact with my skin, and I flew through the air from the wolf's toss. The breath had been shot out of me when I crashed landed onto some shrubs.

“Ah!!”

I gripped my shoulder in agony, and as soon as I did, I felt the warm liquid that covered my entire hand, seeping in between my fingers. I bit down in pain, my eyes, tight shut, and tears welling up.

My eyes opened, and widen, as I sucked inhaled sharply, when I had suddenly felt something inside of me awaken. I rolled around, uncomfortably, while listening to the animal’s battle. It felt as though something deep within me was moving, or changing. It was such an unexplainable feeling.

I turned my head to watch the battle. I gawked and blinked several times at what I had just witnessed. The cougar had jumped high through the sky, and then landed safely in a nearby tree, without breaking it one bit. It hissed down towards the wolf (just like a cat would do), while the wolf growled, watching it carefully. Then the cougar swiftly jumped from tree to tree, leaving the area hastily.

I grabbed at my throbbing chest, trying to breathe correctly, my heartbeat increasing, drastically. I coughed at the indescribable feeling, my vision growing hazy. I cried out in confusion and despair, the tears falling over, streaming down the sides of my cheeks. I felt that this was it, that this was the end. I should of listened to my sister, Isabella, when she told me not to go into the forest.

My face crumpled, as I broke down into tears, while I continued to grasp my bleeding shoulder, and my chest. I rolled onto my side, grabbing onto my stomach now, the same weird feeling intensifying, gripping, pulsating, and swirling inside of me, like an angry bee.

The wolf watched me, walking towards me, slowly. It's knowing red eyes, holding my gaze. Its red eyes, being of what I could only see now. I couldn't take it anymore of this, and that's when, in the first time in my life, I gave in and fainted.