Status: On-going.

Pearl of the Stars

An Age Old Menage

Cam – no, Matthew – was the one to wake first. “Hurry, hurry!” he whispered urgently in Leo's ear, and then gently lifted Violet over his shoulder as if she weighed no more than a sack of potatoes. Maybe she didn't; she had eaten nothing but forest foods and foul-smelling fish for the past few days. Violet quickly awoke with a pounding in her ear. She realized that it was her head continuously thumping against Matt's back. She shifted to grip onto his shoulder and looked backwards with wide eyes. They were being chased again, but this time the pursuers looked nothing like the Waldrom. Instead of heavy cloaks and maroon ribbons, they wore silver armor and chain mail, swords and axes tapered at their sides. They all sat atop horses, and one man carried a flag with a strange insignia. Strange, yet familiar. A sharp-pointed star surrounded by a string of gleaming pearls. Flames danced around the star, igniting it with golden fire. Violet could not look away.

Matthew was running quite quickly with Violet slung across his back, Leo not far ahead, but they had no chance at all of outrunning the horses – horses of the Cosmic Guard. They were soon surrounded on all sides, forcing the two young men to clutch their sides as they fought to catch their breath. Violet slid to the ground, more stunned than ever. What was to happen now? What had just happened?

One of the men slid from his horse – a sleek black stallion – and removed his helmet with a practiced flourish. He smiled at Violet, but it was the type of smile that could never have been considered friendly. “Hello, Violet,” he greeted her with a bow. Violet somehow got the impression that this man was mocking her. He ran a hand through his dark curls and cocked his head to the side. “Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. I came riding all this way... to find this,” he gestured to her with a gloved hand almost lazily. Violet had changed out of her tattered nightgown as soon as she had the chance, but her appearance was still far from glamorous. Her tanned skin was even darker and redder than ever, her curls were mangled at the nape of her neck, and she knew that her face was streaked with ash. An angry blush crept its way up her ears as she took in the man's words through her daze.

“And who are you to say these things, sir?” she stammered. Enough, she told herself, be strong.

The dark-haired man chuckled. “You humor me, Violet!” he threw back his head and laughed even louder. “I thought perhaps you would have recognized me. I am your older brother, after all.” His unfriendly little smile had not wavered even though his eyes were now filled with contempt “You do know who I am, don't you?”

Violet glared up at the man. “You are no brother of mine, I assure you. Blood means less than nothing to me. Being of royalty means even less.”

Cam and Leo shared a shocked look, as if even they couldn't believe the words Violet was uttering. Frankly, she had no idea what she was talking about. But they had to get out of this situation somehow. The dark-haired man unnerved her and she wanted more than anything to run past the throng of powerful horses without looking back.

“I can see you are going to make this difficult,” he sighed. “Very well. At least I can say that I warned you.”

He smirked again and opened one of his fists from its place on the reins. A burst of flame rose up from his bare hand. Violet gaped, horrified. With deep focus, Bartha could also do a similar trick – but it took spells and chants and only lasted brief moments before disappearing. This magic was powerful and effortless.

“Restrain them! I'll take care of the girl.”

And then the men were upon them, leaping from their horses and brandishing daggers.

Daggers. So many daggers – all with star-shaped symbols and gleaming silver blades. Jeweled handles. In Violet's imagination the blades turned blood red before her very eyes. She cowered for a moment, reliving the sight of Bartha's cold body all over again. She would at least attempt to defend herself for the old woman.

She shielded her face with her arms just as the leader sent his magic barreling towards her. Instead of feeling burns, she only felt a brief zinging touch. Like static-ridden silk passing through her fingers. Her arms lowered in surprise. But the flames were still there. They swirled madly around her hands.

“So it's true,” the dark-haired man sneered at her. He too began to dismount his horse. “You really are family.”

Violet glanced briefly over her shoulder. Both Leo and Matt were being held still with daggers at their throats. She felt a blind rage well up inside. The horses began to stomp, sensing the energy of her magic. She had been taught simple, safe spells by Bartha. The witch was always reluctant to show her anything more. Perfection in execution was a must. The feeling of the flames around her wrists was nothing like that – they tugged at her emotions from the inside.

“Come on then,” the man taunted. He slowly took off the glove from his other hand. “Show us your power.”

Something snapped in her then. Maybe it was the lack of emotion in this man's cold eyes, or the sight of all those daggers around her, or the unnerving feeling of the flames eating at her. But something came to life in that moment.

She thrust the fire towards the earth. Several small plants went up in flames. The horses began to thrash wildly and had to be restrained. Leo and Matt managed to escape from their captors and turned on them at once, Leo with his shortsword and Matt with his bare hands. They secured two horses and began kicking the soldiers away as they fought for the animals and the higher ground.

Violet lunged at the man in front of her. She wrapped her filthy hands around his throat. He grimaced with what looked like pain. “What's wrong, brother?” She shook him violently. His hands came up as if to shoot more fire, but nothing happened. He couldn't speak. He glowered at her instead. Violet thought that she could break his neck if she tried, but the thought brought reality crashing back on her shoulders. None of this could be happening. She was just a peasant witch's ward.

Her brother – if that's what he really was – took this opportunity to push her off of him.

“Get them, men! Come on now, it's just a little fire!” He laughed loudly, although his voice was strained.

Violet choked on the smell of smoke. Although the ground was wet, the fire burned on. When she fell into the flame, all she could feel was the prickle of magic. Was she really immune to his destruction?

“Violet!” Leo called, steering one of the horses towards her. His hand was outstretched and ready to yank her from the fire. Matt was busy slashing and snarling at whoever came near. Or maybe it was Cam – he looked absolutely inhuman to her then. Violet turned to Leofrick. She grasped his fingers tightly and closed her eyes. In the next instant she was clinging to his lapels, riding backwards on the panicked steed.

The horse reared up and was ready to crush one of the Cosmic guard beneath it. “Master Raphael!” the man called before being bludgeoned by hooves. Violet let out a muffled scream.

Her brother now had fire in his eyes. His expression was deadly. In those eyes she could see all of the torture and death his magic had the power to contain. She shook her head at him, not knowing why she did so, or even if he saw the action.

And then they were riding away, her and Leo on one horse and Matthew on another. The men hadn't given chase yet, too consumed with escaping the deadly fire that seemed to have a mind of its own.

They passed a stream that was now nothing more than a tunnel of black smoke. But still the Royals did not give chase.

Violet collapsed against Leo with a groan.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a long time, my beloved readers :)
Please comment, subscibe, rec... the basics. This story may be coming back to life.