Status: On-going.

Pearl of the Stars

Livid Knowledge Stalks the Night

The eerie room seemed to go silent. Even the wildly flickering candle had lost some of its fervor. Geoffrey retreated to a small chair in the darkness of the shadows, continuing his carving and blocking out the lunatic ramblings of his wife and this mysterious young girl.

Violet finally regained control of her tongue. “W-what? I was not even aware that the lost Prince and his family had a guard. What can this mean?” Violet stared at Ysmay. The witch lay pitifully atop her bed, her frail limbs motionless, her eyes sunken and dark.

Ysmay sighed tiredly, turning her gaze to the large cabinet that sat in the farthest corner.
“Go look in the third drawer, dear. There should be an old book siting in the back there – yes that's it – now bring it to me.”

Lifting the heavy book and being careful not to drop the ancient thing, Violet stepped over to the bedside, placing it carefully beside Ysmay. The witch struggled to lift a hand, gripping the plain dull-brown cover of the book. She took hold of a few golden-bordered pages before turning them to a rather detailed one. The decaying paper was covered in thousands of tiny drawings and delicate notes. One large symbol decorated the center of this particular page, a sharp-pointed star. All around this star were ink-smudged pictures of what appeared to be pearls, or some other rounded stone.

Violet's eyes traced the page in wonder, mouth agape. “That is the strange design I found on the dagger, the very same one!”

Ysmay nodded weakly, tracing over a few words with her bony finger. “It says here under the symbol that this is the sign of The Cosmic Guard,” her voice was light, breath turning quick and shallow. Ysmay collapsed deeply against her pillow once again. “They must have been looking for something, or... no. It cannot be.” Ysmay glanced at Violet curiously. “Do you not know of the alliance Bartha once made with those in the castle? Their true name is Waldrom, but it is rarely known as such.”

Violet shook her head. These secrets were unfamiliar to her.

“Ah, I should have assumed,” Ysmay continued. “I made this very same alliance once, years ago, when the hidden war was at its peak. Only those of magic were accepted into this war, to become soldiers, of sorts. It is a shame that we could not have won. The battles were left with no victory on either side, and I still wonder if the Prince willed for this to happen. Perhaps the royals still care about their people, but it is doubtful.”

These words confused Violet. “How can it be possible to hide a war? How did I not know of this?” Her eyes burned with fury and a great unfamiliar sadness.

Ysmay sighed again. “This was not a war of swords and horses, my dear, this was a war of magic. This sort of deadly magic is invisible to the eye. The magic that destroyed this city, for example. It is not known how the great wall of A'dak fell. The people think it was due to a horrible storm that left the city drenched in plague. But it is the dark magic that has placed its hazy cloud upon us, the magic that cursed us with this sickness.”

“Why do you not leave?” Violet wondered, her voice strong with foolish passion.

“Most have already left. Only the stubborn and mad remain, and of course myself. I could not leave the city had I tried, for I am bound to it, as its protector.” Ysmay's eyes hardened as she spoke this time. She had protected this city with her life, but now she lay powerless in a musty cot, trapped within these walls until the day she died. Death did not appear very far away for Ysmay. She would welcome it with open arms.

“But why did they kill Bartha?” Violet cried, her eyes brimming with tears.

Ysmay shushed her, pressing a gaunt finger to her lips. “This war of magic has been centered on attacking the main points of each opposing side. But now this has changed, you see. The Cosmic Guard is obviously trying to go after the key sources of power now, discreetly and secretly. If this be the case, then I would assume that they'll be coming after me next.”

Violet could feel even more wet tears stain her cheeks. All this time, Bartha had been giving her magic spells and ingredients to the Waldroms not because they forced her to, but because she was involved in a secret war against the rulers of the kingdom. The rulers that had left their cities in destruction, abandoning them all.

“I am guessing that the Waldroms do not yet know of this new attack. We must warn them of our enemies' scamming – and quickly,” Ysmay breathed deeply, licking her lips that Violet now noticed to be caked in blood.

“But first we must get away from here! They could come and kill you at any moment. Do you not fear for your life?” Violet tried to argue, her hands balling into fists of frustration. All this time, all these secrets. Perhaps Ysmay, her husband and Violet could escape. Perhaps they could flee to a distant land and live in safety.

Ysmay smiled a sad smile. “It is useless for me to try and run. I am close to death regardless. It is unavoidable. But you, Violet, can help us. I need for you to take this message of a new attack to the castle – to the Waldroms. I must rely on you do finish this task, no matter what. We must not lose this war.” Suddenly, Geoffrey appeared behind the head of Ysmay's bed and placed a strong hand upon her shoulder. The witch's brittle bones looked as if they could cave in on themselves at any moment. “Do you promise to do this?” Ysmay's eyes were bright, urging Violet to accept her task.

“I... I promise.” Violet's voice wavered as more tears threatened to spill.

Ysmay smiled in relief. This smile was a warm and comforting one – the one that Violet remembered from many years ago. “Thank the stars,” Ysmay whispered. “Now run, child! Run from this city of darkness before they arrive. I shall stay here and await my death. It is the only way.”

Violet's grip tightened on her sack and she turned quickly to head for the door, looking back at the last moment to stare at Geoffrey. “Will he come with me?”

“No. I stay.” Geoffrey's booming voice echoed. He patted Ysmay's shoulder again, his chin rising with bravery. He knew not much of this war, but he understood the events to pass. He understood that he would stand by his love's side as they both perished.

Violet nodded once to both of them, a mixture of a million emotions swirling in her eyes, before leaving the cramped home and running out into the darkness beyond. Her feet carried her through gates and crumbled paths, across damaged cobblestone leading to a large fountain that spat smoke into the sky. Violet did not even allow her gaze to settle on the fountain this time, running past it swiftly and leaping over the wall that divided the darkness from the light.

The sunlight that glared upon the meadow blinded her, but Violet kept running across the slope of long grass. Tonight, she would live. Live for the freedom of her people, for those who had been lost.

She would live until the day she died.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's a bit too much dialogue in this for my liking, but I recieved a couple complaints about my lack of dialogue, so maybe it's alright after all. What do you guys think?
Even so, I might edit this chapter later after I read through it a few more times.