Believe in the Unexpected

The Story

“Ugh.” I flop back on the bed, throwing the red dress back on the floor.

“It’s not like this is going to be the biggest party of the year and I have nothing to wear.”

“You do to. You just don’t know what to wear what you think he would like.” Madison says looking up from the vanity brushing her cheeks.

“No, that is not it. I just want to look nice.” I said combing my fingers through my hair. I looked around the room. It was festive in colors green and red all over the floor.

“Hun,” Madison said turning around in her chair. “I think you have gone through your entire closet just choose something.” She got up as she was putting on some heels.

“Yeah, but you look cute.” I sat up throwing a shirt at her.

Madison sighed and picked up the shirt.
“You are just stressed. Jas this is so cute. Red low V- cut, add some jeans and shoes.”

“Yeah maybe; do you think Maja will be there?” I ask sitting up looking around at all the clothes on the floor.

“Yes. See you do care. Now you can’t snag anyone with that on.” She points to my Hello Kitty PJs.

“Yeah. Fine.” Pulling my self off the bed looking for some jeans. Being the short girl is never and easy thing. But being short and skinny it even harder, I swear nothing fits everything I own is altered. Wearing heels doesn’t even help most of the time.

I wear the red v-neck Madison gave me and some dark jeans with red heels. I don’t even bother with makeup as Madison packs it on my face.

I guess that is the thing with having a best friend you are complete opposites. She was into shopping and glamour, I was more into tomboy hobbies.

She was probably the only reason I went to Homecoming this year. Despite her beauty she never finds a guy she likes. She says there is “one guy” for her.

I have the occasional hook up after the occasional drink or so. Okay, I am not a very lady-like person, but she makes me feel lady-like enough.

Once she finished mobbing my face with powder and brushes she started combing my hair and twisting it around. My hair is pretty hard to do anything to it is layered and long with bangs swinging over my eyes. I dyed my hair red, I couldn’t do black anymore. Besides everyone has black hair now.

Madison worked her magic in under twenty minutes she made me beautiful. I don’t party much. Okay, I lied. I don’t party at all.

As Madison walked out of my room, I realized this was the big change and maybe even a chance. I walked out of my room confident.

As the street light roll by I watch the snow fall gently down, as windows brightly dispay the Christmas Tree.

Madison rolled down her window even though I was nearly twenty degrees outside. She hung her cigarette out the door like any given day. We roll to a stop light. The silence between us was loud, too loud.

“So you gonna snag him tonight?” She asks taking a puff.

“I doubt it.” I looked down at my shoes.

“You" she puffs, "have no self confidence.” She threw the cigarette out and rolled up her window.

“Jasmine your seventeen. Don’t you think you can snag a guy, hello, you’re gorgeous.”

“He has a girlfriend-”

“Michael doesn’t even like her. He just won’t break up with her until after Christmas.” She made a sharp right turn.

I sway sideways. “I know but, I just.”

“Do it. Jasmine make a move okay?” She pulls into the driveway of the white house.

“Okay. I will” I said not meeting her eyes.

“Promise me.” She muffles as she lights another cig.

“I promise.” I mumble. Getting out of the car and into the house was an adventure on its own. The front looked nice and neat, the front door was locked with a note saying

“Backyard”

but once you get into the backyard people everywhere. People in the hot tub, people in the tree, people on the lawn chairs, people smoking weed in the corner. The stairs to the house were packed with people making out and others talking with beer in their hands. Fighting through people was not fun, especially in heels.

I was pushed aside by the big, fat kid; I don’t even think he goes to my school. I wobbled on my heels and then fell over the rail into the hot tub. It wasn’t a hard landing, it was soft only because two girls were making out for a bunch of guys. As I fell in with a splash.

The girls screamed covering their naked breasts. Guys laughed. I tried to get up, but everything was wet. I was struggling until someone lifted me up out. It wasn’t Madison, she didn’t have green eyes. I covered my face as I was pulled up. It was freezing I felt as though I was ice.

I hurried inside with the strange covering me. My hand was in the stranger’s leading me around. I saw a long line of people waiting for the bathroom.

“We need to get in now.” It was a boy’s voice, the voice of….

“Come on, fuck her somewhere else.” One of the girls said between puffs of a fag.

“She fell into a hot tub. She may need a bit of drying off. Now move.” She girls backed off reluctantly.

He brought me inside. It was warm in the bathroom. I removed my hands fully. It went black.

“Jas, Jasmine.” I love his voice it’s so protective. I have to open my eyes, why are my lids so heavy.

“uh.” I felt his head against my breast. CPR...

“Her heart is beating.”

“ughh.” I moaned opening my eyes. Everything was a blur. I could see his figure above me. His brown hair was over his eyes. Beautiful green eyes.

“Jasmine, come on. Breathe. I know you’re cold. I gave you a jacket. You’re going to need new clothes though. Can you stand?”

This figure came clearly to me. It was Michael.

“I can try.” I started to get up. He grabbed my hand to help me up.

As I was on my feet my reflection scared me, running eyeliner, wet hair, a mess.

“You took quite a fall. I am sorry. I didn’t know it would be so hard for people to get through.” He gave me a towel.

I nodded drying out my hair.

“If you want you can wear my sister’s clothes.”

“Wait, this is your house?”I asked. Suddenly my entire surroundings where lightened. The bathroom was an old rustic farm house look complete with curtains over the window.

“Yeah, if you want we can go get stuff from my sister’s room. She is in New York for the month. She has so many clothes she won’t notice what is missing.”

“If you are sure.”

“Of course, I am sure. You cannot stay in wet clothes all night. Okay, just follow me.”

He opened the door. The music hit me like a ton of bricks. I watched him flow gracefully through people, he was Moses parting the red sea. I couldn’t keep up. In desperate attempts I grabbed his hand. I caught up to him as we reached the stairs.

Even more people where here some were advancing in sexual desires, others talking. The stairs were tricky as well, Michael skipped around easily. He let go of my hand as I followed.

At the top of the stairs he took a direct right. This hall was deserted. The second white door he went in. I better and I was transported to America’s Next Top Model. The whole room was decked out. Posters covering the walls, his sister was obviously obsessed.

“Go choose whatever you want. I’ll be right back okay?”
He slips out of the room.

Looking around at all the magazines strewn around with headline blaring. I opened the closet, it was the biggest walk in closet I have ever seen, color coordinated, wall to wall.
She had to be a model she had a huge three mirror at the end.

I walked through selecting a black button down shirt with a pair of jeans and black boots.
I looked at myself in the mirror, my make up was stained and I looked tired but it wasn’t all that bad.

“Don’t you look festive.” His laugh was warming. I turned around and there he was standing leaning against the wall like a Hollister model.

“I guess. ” I mumbled turning away from the mirror

“Jas. You’re gorgeous.” He said standing up.

I blinked. No way. Michael Prinz did not just say I was gorgeous. Did he?

“Michael!” I knew that voice it was his girlfriend Maja. “Michael, were are you? You’re missing out on the band!”

“I’ll be right back.” He said calmly closing the door to the closet.

“Maja, love. Right here. I am getting your present. Hold on.” I heard her opening the other door.

“I am not going to ‘hold on.’ Let me in.” She pushed through the door. Looking around panicking I stood there, feeling exposed, naked, helpless.

“And who are you?” She looked me up and down as if sizing me up.

“I am the girl who fell in the hot tub and Michael is giving me clothes.” I said, I felt stronger. It was true Michael did care and he thought I was gorgeous.

“Oh. Yeah, that was hilarious! Oh my God, you looked like an idiot.” She snorted.

“That is enough Maja. Go down stairs, I’ll bring you your present.” He stood firm.

“Oh come on, baby. Let’s open it now.”

“No. Maja I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

She shifted looking at me. Deciding I wasn’t a girl he would die to make out with, she left not without kissing him first.

She obviously was the one who forced the kiss he just stood there stiff. She walked out.

“I am sorry Jasmine. She shouldn’t have done that.”

“It’s fine. I mean you two are the perfect match. You’re the most beautiful, I mean best skater there is and she is the skater girl. Match made in heaven.”

I turn on my heel,

“Thanks for the clothes. I’ll wash and return them.”

I walked out the room. The music washed over me again like a wave crashing.

“Jas! Stop.” He was walking after me.

I got to the stairs, as I turned around and he held a present for me. It was small wrapped in a small silver box with a white bow.

“Please Jas. I really like you.”

“You like me so much to date Maja.” I started to walk down the stairs. I heard him following me.

I couldn’t be that girl. The one who would be enthralled by a pretty boy and his charm. I would not be that girl.

I felt a tug on my hand. I turned as he put his hand on my back. His face leaning into mine.

“Jasmine. Listen to me. I have a story for you.”

“Fine.”

I stood there against the door just as he did in the closet telling me the truth.

“ I liked Maja for a long time. But she is a bitch and she asks for too much. I saw you one day at school after lunch nearly a year ago, she made fun of this girl for being overweight and you where there comforting the girl. I wanted to get to know you. But whenever I get close to a girl Maja breaks her apart.”

I knew the girl he was talking about. It was Madison, I worked out with her till she became skinny. But his excuse was lame, he didn’t back himself up.

“Then break up with her.”
I said not buying it.

“I am going to after Christmas. I don’t want to hurt her right before Christmas, Jas I know you wouldn’t want her to go through with that.”


“I know, but Michael why didn’t you do anything. Talk to me? Email me? Something.”

“Jasmine. I wanted to, I felt like you wouldn’t like me. I mean my status at school isn’t your type and this party”
He looked up around, “It isn’t you.”

I sighed. He was right. It wasn’t me. I was different than his crowd.

“Okay, I see. I am a differnet species, we don't belong together. Will you let me go now?”


“No.” He held the present up to me again. It looked so pretty.

“Okay.” I sighed his eyes were the perfect blue electrifying me. I opened the present slowly. As I lifted the box there was a plant… it was mistletoe.

“Michael, you know the mistletoe is suppose to be above the couple. Right?”

“I know. I just had to be sure it was okay with you first.”He leaned in closer. I could feel his warm breath on my lips.

“It is.” I felt warmth run through my face into my finger tips. Pillows against my lips and his fingers entangled into my hair, he sucked on my bottom lip as his tongue entered my mouth.

“Oh My God! Michael!” As scream broke the moment. Michael looked at me for a second.

“Maja. Shut the fuck up. We are over. I am sick of you and your complaining. Your whining. Your self pity.”

“You can’t do that to me! It’s Christmas eve. You are leaving me for her? That trash?”

“I can do what I want. It’s over. I love Jasmine. She isn’t the trash Maja, look in a fucking mirror. Then you will see the true trash.” He turned back to me.

“You love me?” I whispered. He bent down to my ear.

“For longer than you have known.”

He leaned in once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image