The Biggest Lie

The Biggest Lie.

Another day, another couple who can't get pregnant. I thought to myself.My title is Dr. O'Shae, Maggie to my friends, and to my husband.

At this point in my life, my job was depressing enough. I worked in the maturnity ward at a local hospital, and at least every week, a younge couple - five years of marriage at the most - had to come to me for help; they couldn't get pregnant. I myself was having problems - after a miscarriage two years ago, I had been afraid to try again, and now, I can't get pregnant, while thousands of teenage girls were wishing they hadn't fucked up.

I envied them.

"I just don't understand, Dr. O-Shae; what are we doing wrong?" Mrs. Cane said. She and her husband, Michael, had been trying for two years, and couldn't get pregnant.

"Well, Mrs. Cane-"

"Violet." She interrupted. "Please, Mrs. makes me feel old. I'm only twnety-eight, and only married for three years."

"Of course." I said, smiling. Poor girl. "Well, Violet, you're perfectly healthy. No-one in your family's had this problem, so it isn't herititary, everything check out fine." I told her. She sighed, leaning back agains the chair, covering her eyes with her hands.

"Then what is it?! Is there something wrong with Michael?" She asked, sitting up suddenly. I shook my head.

"We haven't tested him yet, but there's never been this problem in his family either. Why don't you send your husband in, Mrs. C- I mean, Violet." She nodded and stood up. Violet was no sooner gone when her husband came in. Michael sat down quickly, looking very nervous, right where she had just been.

"Mr. Cane-"

"Please, call me Michael. I just, you know, feel a little more comfortable." He said. I smiled at the familiarness of the request.

"Michael, there is nothing wrong with your wife. So, we need to test you." I took out a jar and handed it to him.

"Urine sample?" He asked, smiling crookedly.

"Sperm, actually." His smile faded, and he looked extreamly frightened.

"I, um, can't do that, Dr. O'Shae. I just...I can't." He fidgeted, and I knew he would begin to stutter soon.

"Come now, dovie. No need to be embarressed." I reassured him.

"It's not that I don't want to; I'm not capable of it." He blurted out. Michael looked very embarressed now, turning red.

"Michael, yes you-"

"Look, I haven't told a soul since I was twenty, when I began my new life. I left my family behind, and they think I'm dead now. The truth is, well, oh, and please don't get creeped out or anything. I knew Violet since high school, but, you see, then, I wasn't the man I am now. Oh, Christ, I wasn't a man periode! I was born a girl, Meridith Marie, and I had fallen for her when I first saw her. She told me nicely that she was straight, and I felt like shit. So, when I turned twenty, I decided to get a sex change, and catch up with her again. She thought I was a different person, and I haven't the heart to tell her I was Meridith. I just, please, don't tell her, I love her to much. Please, there must be another way!" He confessed. Michael sat down again, and I got up to pat his back.

"It's okay, Michael. I-"

"You called me Michael? Still?" He asked, looking up at me, about to cry.

"Of course. You were just born a boy with some defects, that's all." I said. I pulled a chair closer to him. "Michael, I know your life must've been hard, leaving your family to start anew, but, don't you think you should be honest with Violet if you love her so much?" He considered this, then nodded.

"I should. But, God, I can't live without her. I just can't. Five years of her and I together, and, I just can't lose that. I can't lose her. Not again." He said, trying to smile. "I love her." I nodded then. "I do have a brother, though, who'd be more then happy to donate sperm. He's the only one who knows about me. Could I call him tomorrow morning? Please?"

I nodded again. "Sure, Michael. Come back with him soon, though. Your lovely wife is desprate to become a mother." He smiled, wiped his eyes. "Although, you really should tell Violet the truth about you. I'm just siggesting it."

"Thanks a bunch, Dr. O'Shae." He said. He hugged me, then quickly left the room.

I thought perhaps they would come in to ask me some questions, but they didn't. In fact, they didn't come back for a month. Michael told me that he told Violet about what he did for her, and at first she left him. Only for a week. Violet realized then that she too couldn't live without her spouse.

They now have three children: Ava Regina, Thomas Michael, and Meridith Marie. The second.